• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Report: Sony won't be at Gamescom 2023

Shit be getting spoiled way ahead of time these days…realistically what is even the point of spending the money or resources on these shows anymore?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Think that's called the VGA.

Seriously though, with everything going digital now, why do these shows even exist? I was shocked to see GK turning SGF into a Iive show. Honesty can't see the point. He is slowly turning SGF into the monster that E3 became.

Soon there will be booths so attendees can play games and showgirls, and then each major platform holder has their own conference.....

See, E3.

Stay around long enough and watch yourself become the villain.

I don't see one issue in your post. But it seems like you are against it. Why? It being a live show made it that much better.

vj27

Banned
Guy went from co-hosting a niche g4 show to becoming the singular most prolific host of a 200 billion dollar industry.
Yeah ngl we can shit on his shows to our hearts content but that man is getting PAID lol. You would’ve told me this guy would be the face of gaming 10 years ago I would’ve laughed in your face but… here we are lol.

To have fun. Remember, that's what gaming used to be about.
But the games that are being spoiled and shown aren’t fun (for the most part, not all).
But believe me, I remember. I’m having fun playing through Dragon Quest VIII again as we speak.

Also - me saying spending money or resources on these shows..that quote was directed toward gaming companies that use resources to appear at them, not the gamers.

Last edited:

K2D

Banned
Are they skipping because they don't have things to show or because they think they don't get any value from it?

If the latter, I think, sadly, it makes sense.

Games come in so white hot now and gamers are so critical of technical problems that putting early demos on a show floor is unlikely to yield great PR. So no need to have a stand on a show floor.
If a digital presence is enough to get the clicks then it's probably cheaper, more efficient and more easy to control if you just do your own pre recorded show.

I assume that Geoff's shows could quite easily end up being third party only, and then quite quickly be nothing as platform holders run their own streams - which they already do. I have no idea how much Geoff is charging to have a game featured on the show, but if Microsft/Nintendo/Sony wanted to, they could do it for free as part of promoting their platform. I assume that the model Geoff used could at some people bring his own shows to a close, just as he seems to be doing with E3 and other shows.
They absolutely need cross pollination though, and something bigger than showcases that drums up enthusiasm.

If they bet on their current marked position forever, they might get blind sided in the not so distant future.

Elios83

State of plays are not showcases lol

They serve exactly to the same purpose on a smaller scale.
New games are announced there, updates to already announced games are given there, deep dives into major games are given through the format.
We have seen games like Rise of Ronin, Yakuza Ishin, Tekken8 ,FF7R Intergrade being announced at State of Plays.
Games like Horizon, GT7, Hogwarts Legacy, FFXVI, God of War Ragnarok all having major updates through the State of Play format.

When you have many of these smaller shows over the year they obviously add up to many interesting updates and announcements.
Thinking that only big shows that last over 1h "count" is nonsense.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
They are not obligated, but they are nothing without their consumer base. Are they leading the charge? Yes. But that doesn't mean we as consumers don't get to have expectations. And when you skip so many opportunities to present it does not give a feeling of optimism.

I'm not doom and gloom about Sony, but waiting this long to be updated about ANY first party games I've been following sucks. And based on the reactions I saw from others after the conference I'm not the only one that feels that way.

Its not like they are boycotting the show; as in forbidding their partners and their product from appearing. Its simply that they are electing not to have a major brand presence -typically a marquee booth or presser- at the event. An expensive marketing exercise that very likely doesn't have much in the way of end-result in terms of mindshare and sales enhancement.

Times have changed; as the majority of the market consumes games news and updates digitally the value of events like E3 and GamesCom have declined.

You might miss those days, that's fair enough. But it has to be recognized that even the golden age of E3 was an evolution of what once was a closed trade-only fair where chain-retailer buyers went to see what to stock for the holiday season. A change that was driven primarily by games becoming all-year-round products making the original purpose redundant.

Its not like they are boycotting the show; as in forbidding their partners and their product from appearing. Its simply that they are electing not to have a major brand presence -typically a marquee booth or presser- at the event. An expensive marketing exercise that very likely doesn't have much in the way of end-result in terms of mindshare and sales enhancement.

Times have changed; as the majority of the market consumes games news and updates digitally the value of events like E3 and GamesCom have declined.

You might miss those days, that's fair enough. But it has to be recognized that even the golden age of E3 was an evolution of what once was a closed trade-only fair where chain-retailer buyers went to see what to stock for the holiday season. A change that was driven primarily by games becoming all-year-round products making the original purpose redundant.
Yeah I can understand that. I guess at the end of the day I just hope they take the tome to realize that their consumers didn't think their showcase lived up to the hype. That happens often. I do believe there's a level of expectation that gets their audience hyped for what's to come. If you ask me they haven't brought the excitement for titles that we know are in development.

These shows do often leave us as gamers feeling disappointed. But as a personal anecdote I wanted to be excited because it doesn't feel much like there's been much substance since covid affected everything. I'm sure they're more considering the monetary requirement that goes into these shows and that's their prerogative. But again, as a gamer I'm left with the feeling of wanting more and I think that sentiment echos throughout the gaming community. Whether it's Sony or not.

CamHostage

I think most people here would have preferred an E3 style presentation over the shitshow that was shown by Sony a few weeks back.

Why would that be? It would have been the exact same games.

Only difference would have been there would have been a video wall for the press in attendance. (That, and probably Spider-Man 2 would have had a booth for previews, but possibly they would have done the same hands-off developer playthrough that Spider-Man 1 did; we'll see when they let press try this game but the preview cycle is so fraught with development complications and exposure issues that we don't see them as regularly as back in the heyday of trade shows.) Sony wouldn't have trotted out more stuff just because a trade show was going on.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
These shows do often leave us as gamers feeling disappointed. But as a personal anecdote I wanted to be excited because it doesn't feel much like there's been much substance since covid affected everything. I'm sure they're more considering the monetary requirement that goes into these shows and that's their prerogative. But again, as a gamer I'm left with the feeling of wanting more and I think that sentiment echos throughout the gaming community. Whether it's Sony or not.

I totally get where you're coming from, but realistically I think regular, shorter video presentations like the State Of Plays are what should be expected going forward.

The old way is just not practical from a production standpoint and ineffective from a marketing perspective. Attention spans are too short, and the gaps between major releases are too big. Simple as that.

mckmas8808

But the games that are being spoiled and shown aren’t fun (for the most part, not all).
But believe me, I remember. I’m having fun playing through Dragon Quest VIII again as we speak.

Also - me saying spending money or resources on these shows..that quote was directed toward gaming companies that use resources to appear at them, not the gamers.

If you are spoiled then that's your fault. But and most importantly who cares if you know a game will be at an event. The part that should really matter is seeing how good it looks and fun it plays. I think social media has killed the kid-like joy some of yall used to have when it comes to video games.

mckmas8808

I totally get where you're coming from, but realistically I think regular, shorter video presentations like the State Of Plays are what should be expected going forward.

The old way is just not practical from a production standpoint and ineffective from a marketing perspective. Attention spans are too short, and the gaps between major releases are too big. Simple as that.

The bolded is just untrue.

If you are spoiled then that's your fault. But and most importantly who cares if you know a game will be at an event. The part that should really matter is seeing how good it looks and fun it plays. I think social media has killed the kid-like joy some of yall used to have when it comes to video games.
The kid like joy is what most of us long for. I care about being spoiled because I like surprises…not just that, but I hate internet clout chasers that feel like they have to be the first to break the news (spoilers), and destroy the other side of the surprise, more importantly, the surprise that hundreds of devs look to give to people looking for “kid-like joy”…that they legitimately worked their asses off on, for 4+years. But it’s all good…it’s all about You, right?

mckmas8808

The kid like joy is what most of us long for. I care about being spoiled because I like surprises…not just that, but I hate internet clout chasers that feel like they have to be the first to break the news (spoilers), and destroy the other side of the surprise, more importantly, the surprise that hundreds of devs look to give to people looking for “kid-like joy”…that they legitimately worked their asses off on, for 4+years. But it’s all good…it’s all about You, right?

I don't like the spoilers either. I just don't let them ruin my feelings on a showcase. How a game looks and plays still matters to me.

I don't like the spoilers either. I just don't let them ruin my feelings on a showcase. How a game looks and plays still matters to me.
I agree with that. I’ve never once personally been turned off or turned on to a game due to a showcase…unless it was a game I didn’t anticipate was happening. I’m only really referring to the big surprises that used to happen often with E3 where no one knew a game was happening and just everyone, for that brief moment in time, forgot all about the BS going on in real life and just enjoyed the moment. I know it’s wishful thinking because we are really all so connected now, but those are the moments that made gaming more magical for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my games though, it’s just the anticipation of not knowing what was coming that I miss.

Last edited:

mckmas8808

I agree with that. I’ve never once personally been turned off or turned on to a game due to a showcase…unless it was a game I didn’t anticipate was happening. I’m only really referring to the big surprises that used to happen often with E3 where no one knew a game was happening and just everyone, for that brief moment in time, forgot all about the BS going on in real life and just enjoyed the moment. I know it’s wishful thinking because we are really all so connected now, but those are the moments that made gaming more magical for me.

Don’t get me wrong, I still love my games though, it’s just the anticipation of not knowing what was coming that I miss.

Remember these days? I miss them so much!

Nintendo's RETURN (2004)
E3-Top-10-Reggies-Debut-2004.jpeg

“My name is Reggie. I’m about kicking ass, I’m about taking names, and we’re about making games”

FF VII Remake reveal (2015)
Video Games Smile GIF by Square Enix
Final Fantasy Cloud GIF

Miyamoto's Twilight Princess Reveal
giphy.gif

Kingdom Hearts 3 Reveal

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Last edited:

Gamerguy84

There are to many fangroups to please. The ones who aren't will beat on their keyboard to tell the internet how bad it was.

Then of course the warriors with a debt to settle. Have you seen the live threads? Every other comment is from a warrior.

Too much drama. I watched the last one by myself without being on a forum and overall enjoyed it and then I got online

SaucyJack

They haven’t done Gamescom in years.

This shouldn’t surprise anyone. They’ll do their own thing like they’ve been doing for years.

Yep, 2019 was the last time Sony did Gamescom IIRC

And I get that the recent much-anticipated showcase disappointed most on here after an 18 month gap …. but it’s not like Sony has given up on shows, 2022 was the only year that they didn’t do a showcase, instead giving us 5 State of Plays.

FUBARx89

Think that's called the VGA.

Seriously though, with everything going digital now, why do these shows even exist? I was shocked to see GK turning SGF into a Iive show. Honesty can't see the point. He is slowly turning SGF into the monster that E3 became.

Soon there will be booths so attendees can play games and showgirls, and then each major platform holder has their own conference.....

See, E3.

Stay around long enough and watch yourself become the villain.

Naw E3 was at least entertaining. SGF is boring as fuck. I personally find Dorito Pope awkward as hell when interviewing people and the random adverts are insufferable.

But, to his credit, Sony showcase was shite. Xbox shows have been shit for years with all the overpromising, I can't speak for Nintendo shows

The only company I consistently look forward to a showcase from is Capcom, cause they've been slaying it past few years.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
The bolded is just untrue.

In which respect? I can say based on experience that building something demonstrable for a show is a distraction that most devs would rather avoid. Simply because it often requires tasks get reshuffled hastily to a point well before they were scheduled; unlike a milestone deliverable there isn't latitude to explain away missing or incomplete elements because its not supplied as proof of progress, its there for show.

As to marketing effectiveness, this is a bit more subjective, but: Consider that especially on longer showcases not everything gets the same amount of benefit from the showing. Generally speaking its quite the competitive format, if a less heralded title gets shown late on when audience enthusiasm is flagging, or it has the misfortune to appear directly after something particularly "hot" in the order it can get overlooked or worse dismissed.

Furthermore, not every title shows equally well. What makes a title stand-out from its peers on the showcase? Its not gameplay, that's for sure, and there's usually too little time allotted in order to reveal nuance and uniqueness. Its generally a battle of who has the flashiest graphics or the biggest brand. And as I remarked in a post about Keighley's SGF show, when everyone is using basically the same engines all pumping out high-fidelity graphics, everything ends up looking samey and thus underwhelming DESPITE its technical adeptness.

The big winners at long showcases are the name franchises that would have drawn interest regardless. MK, Alan Wake, Final Fantasy, Sonic etc. Most people would be hard pushed to name half the titles shown on the "undercard" of these shows a week on from the event.

Its sad if you think about it. Between Keighley's show and Sony's presser the amount of work involved (if only on the visuals) was staggering and yet drew barely a shrug.

Lastly, at the end of the day how are these trailers going to be consumed largely in the months -even years- between reveal and release? Most people aren't going to be picking through replays of entire showcases they will seek out trailers of specific titles they are interested in on Youtube or the site of their choice.

Sorry, but I just cannot see the justification anymore.

Last edited:
Remember these days? I miss them so much!

Nintendo's RETURN (2004)
E3-Top-10-Reggies-Debut-2004.jpeg

“My name is Reggie. I’m about kicking ass, I’m about taking names, and we’re about making games”

FF VII Remake reveal (2015)
Video Games Smile GIF by Square Enix
Final Fantasy Cloud GIF

Miyamoto's Twilight Princess Reveal
giphy.gif

Kingdom Hearts 3 Reveal

maxresdefault.jpg

maxresdefault.jpg

Hell yea, thank you for this! I watched that FFVII Remake reveal so many damn times that year. What an amazing time.

mckmas8808

There are to many fangroups to please. The ones who aren't will beat on their keyboard to tell the internet how bad it was.

Then of course the warriors with a debt to settle. Have you seen the live threads? Every other comment is from a warrior.

Too much drama. I watched the last one by myself without being on a forum and overall enjoyed it and then I got online

I agree. I don't watch any of these showcases with GAF or look at Twitter live. Too many negative people talking.

Top Bottom