• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 remake has added microtransactions to upgrade weapons quicker

Drizzlehell

Banned
it's not really pay to win though since you can ignore it completely and still beat the game/I didn't purchase any microtransactions for my first playthrough on hardcore and beat it just fine
it just seems to be for people who are impatient and want to beat the game slightly quicker which really isn't much of an advantage
I don't think you fully understand what 'pay-to-win' means.

I'm surprised they haven't added a "pay to auto-beat campaign mode" option. Pay to own the game, then pay to auto-complete it for you, then jump on gaming forums to brag how you beat the game in five minutes. Awesome.

JaksGhost

It diminishes the sense of accomplishment, knowing someone else just cleared that difficult boss you died on 25 times on the first try paying 3.99$. Of course its not as bad as in an online game, but still not ideal.
Who gives a fuck if Bobby was able to buy an upgrade to help kill the monster with one shot in Wyoming. It's not affecting my game in any way since it's a single player experience. If someone else's accomplishment is taking away the joy from your gaming experience you may need to step outside and touch some grass.

Last edited:

Kev Kev

This is inconsequential for me but it makes me concerned about the direction Capcom is heading. It feels like corporate fuckery seeing what they can get away with. Next thing you know they'll see if consumers are willing to pay for extra weapons, extra game modes, extra difficulty levels and so on. The ultimate fear here being that they eventually just blatantly lock a third of the game behind a pay wall, where as it was included in the original price in a game like RE2 Remake.

But as it is now, it's no big deal.

JaksGhost

I swear it feels as if none of you have played a Capcom game in the past 10 years because this has been the norm for them. I implore those that are complaining to check out Devil May Cry 4 and 5 and their microtransactions in your respective console's store. Weapons, modes, characters, orbs, etc. can all be purchased separately to speed things up.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Predictably daft overreactions as per usual.

First of all, these tickets don't actually do much, and in fact have a really minor impact on game balance. But the real big laugh for me is where was all this frothing concern when since day#1 there have been 2 weapons in the game that you can only buy for cash?

Knightime_X

The tickets can be reused on new, old, and current saves.
Started a new game even though you already used the tickets on an older run?
The tickets will still work.

Good value if you ask me.
I got it so you can upgrade as soon as you want, not until near the end of the game.
Especially for the primal knife upgrade to infinite. For knife only runs.

Last edited:

Beechos

I dont have a problem with this. Capcom has been doing this forever. Pay to unlock the unlocks you would normally get by beating the game a couple of times.

SOME-MIST

I don't think you fully understand what 'pay-to-win' means.
that you progress faster than other players by purchasing upgrades which gives you an advantage over those people in multiplayer games. to me it doesn't really as much relevance in single player games and can be ignored entirely

what are you "winning" in resident evil 4? maybe that's what I'm misunderstanding

Last edited:
you know what? do it.

and charge an absolutely retarded amount. like $100 per weapon.
at this point, anyone who pays for this stuff should be abused.

SCB3

So? Completely optional and not needed but a nice to have I guess?

Not buying them and never needed to, finished the game twice (On Hardcore then Pro) and it was fine, you get more than enough resources to upgrade most of your weapons tbh

kingwingin

I’ll prob pick up a ticket. Would really like to buy infinite guns. I don’t have time to s rank anything these days

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Omg every resident evil game since 7 has added this stuff get over it
wait what? when how.. i got the gold version i have no clue it's in it. But pay the publisher extra money to play their game less has to be the fucking dumbest shit ever in gaming

Drizzlehell

Banned
that you progress faster than other players by purchasing upgrades which gives you an advantage over those people in multiplayer games. to me it doesn't really as much relevance in single player games and can be ignored entirely
Exactly. Which makes it even more insidious to put that shit in a single player game and balance its internal economy to make it more tempting for the player to pay just to unlock everything instead of doing multiple playthroughs. That's preying on the more gullible and impatient player.

Three

Real life money is not a limited resource as it pertains to the game. You introduce your 100 dollars into this game, and see how it allows practically infinite resourcefulness to breeze the game breaking the game's balance. You if you still haven't finished the game, spent another 20 dollars. False analogy.
Then we get into the territory where game balance is skewed intentionally to get you to spend that money.

SOME-MIST

what are you winning in this 'pay-to-win' model? the ability to finish the game quicker?
Exactly. Which makes it even more insidious to put that shit in a single player game and balance its internal economy to make it more tempting for the player to pay just to unlock everything instead of doing multiple playthroughs. That's preying on the more gullible and impatient player.
I guess? the reason they probably keep including microtransactions is because people are paying for them. it's just hard for me to relate to because it doesn't affect my playthrough or experience at all and the offer isn't hard to resist. I feel like that would have ruined the experience for me tbh

Chiggs

Oh the humanity! An optional grind-eliminator in a single player game!

How Dare You Greta GIF

Drizzlehell

Banned
what are you winning in this 'pay-to-win' model? the ability to finish the game quicker?

I guess? the reason they probably keep including microtransactions is because people are paying for them. it's just hard for me to relate to because it doesn't affect my playthrough or experience at all and the offer isn't hard to resist. I feel like that would have ruined the experience for me tbh
Well that's you. Imagine for a second that there are people who behave differently. It's also why some get into gambling, alcoholism or drugs and you don't (I guess).

And if that's not enough to convince you then consider for a second that historically games that had single player "time saving" microtransactions, usually were designed in such a way that they deliberately required grinding or had their entire economies screwed up because they were meant to limit the resources that you'd normally receive through gameplay and persuade you to go and spend that extra money.

And yeah, to be perfectly honest, after completing the original version of this game twice just in the last year, and then going on to play this game when it came out, one of the things that drew my attention is how much more frugal I had to be with my in-game money and what I spent it on. For example, while in the original I could finish the game with a Red 9, Striker, Automatic Rifle, and Broken Butterfly fully upgraded, in the remake I finished the game with only the Red 9 fully upgraded, having skipped buying the Striker and sticking to combat shotgun instead to save cash, and barely having enough to upgrade damage rating of the Butterfly a couple of times but that's it.

Initially I though that this was merely an attempt to rebalance the game to make it more tense and challenging, but with these news breaking out, now I think I know where Capcom was going with this.

Last edited:

JaksGhost

Well that's you. Imagine for a second that there are people who behave differently. It's also why some get into gambling, alcoholism or drugs and you don't (I guess).

And if that's not enough to convince you then consider for a second that historically games that had single player "time saving" microtransactions, usually were designed in such a way that they deliberately required grinding or had their entire economies screwed up because they were meant to limit the resources that you'd normally receive through gameplay and persuade you to go and spend that extra money.

And yeah, to be perfectly honest, after completing the original version of this game twice just in the last year, and then going on to play this game when it came out, one of the things that drew my attention is how much more frugal I had to be with my in-game money and what I spent it on. For example, while in the original I could finish the game with a Red 9, Striker, Automatic Rifle, and Broken Butterfly fully upgraded, in the remake I finished the game with only the Red 9 fully upgraded, having skipped buying the Striker and sticking to combat shotgun instead to save cash, and barely having enough to upgrade damage rating of the Butterfly a couple of times but that's it.

Initially I though that this was merely an attempt to rebalance the game to make it more tense and challenging, but with these news breaking out, now I think I know where Capcom was going with this.
Did it effect your playthroughs of Resident Evil 7, Village, and Remake 2/3 too because this was present in all of those games as well.

Three

I mean likely Xbox owners considering they ushered shit like this in with Horse Armour, Godfather Cheats, "Unlock Everything" DLC.
Man I remember that, cheat codes available on the PC/PS2/Xbox version behind a paywall on xbox 360 in the marketplace, what could possibly go wrong. People defending that crazy stuff were nuts or EA/MS employees. Really didn't know what they were in for years down the line:

Drizzlehell

Banned
Did it effect your playthroughs of Resident Evil 7, Village, and Remake 2/3 too because this was present in all of those games as well.
If it means that I could've upgraded everything quicker without having to chase chickens for pieces of poultry for those extra few hours then yes, it did. It's just easier to see it in RE4 because I have the original as a point of comparison.

Seems to me some of you guys would like to be paying for that Merc update instead of getting it for free.
This shit pays the bills, period.

xrnzaaas

I don't like the practice of adding microtransactions later to avoid potential problems in the reviews. You won't convince me they didn't have the Mercenaries Mode ready for launch, it hasn't been that long since the premiere.

DragoonKain

Neighbours from Hell
Such is the ongoing trend invading everything these days. Not just gaming.

Make something ultra tedious or annoying.

Then offer a way to get around or eliminate the tediousness or annoyances… for a fee.

It’s it’s not games it’s streaming services or social media platforms.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Such is the ongoing trend invading everything these days. Not just gaming.

Make something ultra tedious or annoying.

Then offer a way to get around or eliminate the tediousness or annoyances… for a fee.

It’s it’s not games it’s streaming services or social media platforms.
Did you find it ultra tedious before these came out?

Jada_Li

Banned
half the fun of these games is playing to upgrade this stuff! especially when the game is as fun as it is.

If someone wants to pay...thats on them, this stuff stinks but jeeez. I dont get why someone would pay it.
If players are as bad as me or worse, then they can't help that but still can enjoy what the game has to offer in some way. Not everyone is a pro gamer or adequate at gaming. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, so why make fun of people for that? Can we all learn that life is so much more than ourselves respectfully?

Now although I'm not so great at the game, I'm personally not interested and would rather save up for something else because I don't see myself spending too much more time in RE4R. But it doesn't bother me at all whether someone wants to buy the DLC or not regardless of reason. To each their own. Have fun whatever your playstyle and/or capability.

Last edited:

SOME-MIST

If players are as bad as me or worse, then they can't help that but still can enjoy what the game has to offer in some way. Not everyone is a pro gamer or adequate at gaming. We all have our strengths and weaknesses, so why make fun of people for that? Can we all learn that life is so much more than ourselves respectfully?

Now although I'm not so great at the game, I'm personally not interested and would rather save up for something else because I don't see myself spending too much more time in RE4R. But it doesn't bother me at all whether someone wants to buy the DLC or not regardless of reason. To each their own. Have fun whatever your playstyle and/or capability.
that's why there are 3 difficulty options

Capcom being scummy with their post-launch DLC? What a surprise. :rolleyes:

They've been like this for years unfortunately, and it isn't going to get any better because there are diehard Capcom fans who defend this practice every time, as evidenced in this very thread.

Apocryphon

Fuckers. Hope this shit gets review bombed. Scum bag pieces of shit publisher. I liked this game but i will now be looking at all refund options, and second guessing picking up another capcom game new
Fuck off 😂

They haven’t locked any content behind a paywall, you can unlock all weapon upgrades without paying for it. Nobody is forcing you to spend more money and so if this isn’t something you want to do it has literally zero impact on you as a consumer. Grow up bru.

Umbasaborne

Banned
Fuck off 😂

They haven’t locked any content behind a paywall, you can unlock all weapon upgrades without paying for it. Nobody is forcing you to spend more money and so if this isn’t something you want to do it has literally zero impact on you as a consumer. Grow up bru.
Thats how it starts. Im sure capcom is thrilled people like you are so willing to bend over for them.

Top Bottom