• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Resident Evil 4 Review thread

Moses85

Considering how special RE4 was and still is to me, it was worth it
I am also a huge Fan, very huge
BUT

350€ for this?

season 6 GIF by NBC

I felt already ripped off with the RE2 CE.

So what's the best way to bandaid the controls on xbox? Acceleration and sensitivity all the way up? That dead zone is killing me.

Edit: I'm seriously thinking about trying to refund on Xbox and just go PC

Edit 2: Xbox refunded, bought on cdkeys for $45

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
The game lays it down very thickly how much Separate Ways is coming as DLC. Downright to Leon name dropping it. And the in-game files specifically mention
The 2nd Verdugo and U3 (now U-III) going after Ada.
And yes, of course Dusk Golem said it was happening but we don't even need him to know.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
I'm still on the verge of buying or not.
Never played the original and I while I like RE, I'm not an hardcore fan. Yet this RE has been celebrated as a masterpiece so... I don't know what to do.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
They're definitely setting up a big Separate Ways DLC for this the way things are happening in the game.

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
After playing the demo through many times, I'm so excited for this. Glad to hear everyone's having a good time. When does the OT go up, and who is doing it?

TheInfamousKira

Reseterror Resettler
Ok so I'm sure like many people I downloaded the OG game in Preparation for this.

Firstly it's still a classic after having only a solid time with Hogwarts Legacy it really made me appreciate a Great Game.

BUUUUTTT is it perfect? The Greatest TPS ever? Hell No! In 2023 you must be high as a Kite to still think that.

Firstly I didn't realize how broken the knife was. It completely kills the resource management of the game. I was watching some berk on YouTube cry about this but it frigging needs a Durability meter. Even on Hardcore I have enough ammo to take on half of Spain.

Secondly Ashley can fuck off. It's fine on normal but the amount of times she got killed on Hardcore has made my blood boil.

Thirdly the Bosses are Over rated. There still good and all very distinctive and memorable. But other than a few gimmicks there all very limited. A good chunk of them are basically pumping them full lead create space and repeat. If you just want twitch skill Returnals are Better. If you want TPS boss fights with depth Fight Horizon's Big Machines ( That will trigger some of you fine I will die on this hill!)

Finally the Controls. I've heard people call them "Tight" or "Perfect". Again High as a Kite. Okay there functional but the enemies and especially Bosses are mechanically really limited to accommodate them. Exploring with them is really tiresome and annoying try finding the Blue medallions without a Guide and you will see what I mean.

Rant over it's still excellent the core combat against the Gandos and other enemies is still really good. The Gandos have to be the most buffoonish and hilarious enemies I've fought in a long time.

But I'am glad it's getting improved in the remake because it frigging needs it

Spelling "they're," like "there,"

NO THANKS, BRO.

Kamina

Golden Boy
Installing the physical Version atm.
Dis gon b gud you guys! 🤩

I'm still on the verge of buying or not.
Never played the original and I while I like RE, I'm not an hardcore fan. Yet this RE has been celebrated as a masterpiece so... I don't know what to do.
Watch a Review for the original?

Last edited:

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Sheit... Just came back from my work trip and first thing I've done at home is to download and boot the demo.

BUTT FUCK ME !

Dream come true right there. Not wanna take any chances with Amazon Germany to deliver the package tomorrow so I preordered the game now on PSN as well. I've never paid for a game at launch twice. This is worth it to me. Take my money Capcom. Please more of this shit.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I was finally able to start downloading the add-ons for the PS5 Digital Deluxe version, however, there are still 2 items that error out. Very strange.

Fr7YMCLaUAIWSIS

Last edited:
I can't wait to see all of the changes they've made. Its the best way for a talented developer to do a remake.

RE4 is already in HD and VR, a new take is so welcome.

did they really cut leon's rpd uniform ashley's pop star outfit? damn that sucks

lol I forgot about the pop-star outfit. That is some early 2000s shit right there. It looks more dated than Leon's gangster outfit.

That would be the equivalent of giving her an E-girl costume in this version.

Luipadre

So looks like 1.02 is the day 1 patch that came out like 2 weeks ago? weird. Anyways its 3 hours until it unlocks
excited pumped up GIF by WWE

Last edited:

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Has anyone used the Skull Shaker yet? Does he reload, Terminator style?

I liked in RE5 that the hydra shotgun had its own special animations.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I wish there was one reviewer on planet earth I could trust to speak on gameplay and controls. Literally no one in gaming media is competent enough, or brave enough, to assist in this. Every purchase is like pulling the handle on a slot machine hoping the game won't have massive performance or control issues completely ignored or breezed over by reviewers.

Last edited:

JusticeForAll

Gold Member
Are ink ribbons in or out? The one thing I always detested about Resident Evil games.

Edit: just realised they were ditched in og RE4.

I don't remember much of the game. Played the OG once back when it came out on GameCube and that's it. This will feel almost like a new experience. The same was true for the other remakes and I enjoyed them immensely.

Last edited:
So what's the best way to bandaid the controls on xbox? Acceleration and sensitivity all the way up? That dead zone is killing me.

I got it on Xbox to get it early - when people talk about this dead zone what do they mean? I just played thru 2 and 3 remakes on ps5 and I can’t tell the aiming difference?

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
I got it on Xbox to get it early - when people talk about this dead zone what do they mean? I just played thru 2 and 3 remakes on ps5 and I can’t tell the aiming difference?
Deadzone is basically how far you have to press the analog in a direction before it registers the input and moves your character or camera. Super large deadzones can even feel like input lag in worst cases. People who aren't sensitive to it often get confused.

lol I forgot about the pop-star outfit. That is some early 2000s shit right there. It looks more dated than Leon's gangster outfit.

That would be the equivalent of giving her an E-girl costume in this version.

🤣 Just saw the "Casual Outfit" for Ashley. Forget what I said about "would be"

(Casual Leon looks great though)

Deadzone is basically how far you have to press the analog in a direction before it registers the input and moves your character or camera. Super large deadzones can even feel like input lag in worst cases. People who aren't sensitive to it often get confused.
I see perhaps I’ve always just pressed way too hard on the sticks to ever notice this

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I got a call from my local EBGAMES, my copy RE4R and Atelier Ryza 3 is ready tomorrow.

One game I play for cozy summer vibe, other for sustain my thirst for blood and gore……Good combination.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly

Make sure you play with keyboard and mouse on PC, the controller deadzone issue is on the PC version too.

Last edited:

Itchy Tickles

Neo Member
Just a heads up to anyone that uses cdkeys. Usually the keys for new releases aren't available until the day of release, but I checked my order a few hours ago and it gave me the code that I then redeemed on Steam.

Can't actually download it on Steam yet, BUT the store page does suggest a midnight release (about 2 hours time) so that's a nice wee treat for a new release (in my experience on PC anyway)

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Now I am not a genius but...why the hell would deadzone issues be so prevalent in one (or two) versions but absent in the others? Isn't it the same code?

Top Bottom