• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Residents of Fucking, Austria, to vote on name change

Status
Not open for further replies.
Austrian village Fucking set for name change vote
18/04 16:14 CET

fucking-austria-roadsign1.jpg

Residents of the Austrian village Fucking will vote later this week on changing its name.

Locals, or Fuckingers as they are known, say they are sick of visitors stealing signs.

Franz Meindl, the mayor of the Tarsdorf municipality, said they had tried everything to keep the signs from going AWOL, “including concrete blocks and special screws.”

Some residents have resorted to adopting ithe 16th century spelling of Fugging to ward off pranksters, but alas to no avail.

Amused tourists continue to descend on the hamlet to take some hilarious holiday snaps.

“They hang on the sign, take photos, some even take their clothes off. For us, it’s just the village’s name. Fucking and that’s it,” said housewife Hilda Galuselder.

The village close to the border with Germany gets its name from a 6th century Bavarian nobleman, Focko.

It became infamous after World War Two when it was a popular detour for off-duty British and American servicemen, who were based in nearby Salzburg.
http://www.euronews.com/2012/04/18/austrian-village-fucking-set-for-name-change-vote/

Fritz

Boring or Irrelevance spring to mind.

Also, how did they manage to find people named Franz and Hilda, that's like something out of a national lampoons movie.

D

Deleted member 81567

Unconfirmed Member
I've never been in any Fucking in my life.

They could make a lot of money for their village selling merchandise, organizing trips etc. but it's probably in a very conservative region so no sense of humor there.

Soda

I can see the headline now:

Villagers gathered to vote on the new town name, not a single Fuck was given that day.

The village close to the border with Germany gets its name from a 6th century Bavarian nobleman, Focko.

Fucko would make a fine new name.
Quick! Somebody tell them that fucko means puppies in English!

abusori

I've always wanted to go "obtain" a sign from there if I ever visited Austria, now it'll be gone!

I guess I can certainly understand the problem, then.

mantidor

FUCKING
"please not so fast"
*pics of children*

http://i.imgur.com/cMUGG.gif[IMG][/QUOTE]

I took it as "don't have sex careless or you might get pregnant", but I can see other people thinking worst things :P

Have they thought of just selling these signs? I'm sure they would make a lot of money.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
If they end up changing the name, the people who stole the initial signs should come back, take the new signs and replace them with the old ones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom