• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peltz

Looks quite nice. My JVC has the full convex shape and I like it as well.

The 14 inch Panasonic monitor I once owned was razor sharp and had a full convex screen too. It was really cool. Like playing a game on a piece of a globe.

For some reason the convex shape makes the graphics pop a bit more to my eyes. I'm not 100% sure why.

Seeing the Super Mario World title screen makes me think about something I've been wondering about for a while so I'll toss it out there.

Would it be practical or worthwhile for the retro gaming community to think about a handful of games/screens that we could use most often when posting images of setups to compare and gauge PQ? Are there already some games that are like this? The SMW title screen seems like a good one because of the colors, the big bold letters, the detailed but not overly complex graphics, and, most important, because most everyone has a copy of it.

Peltz

Seeing the Super Mario World title screen makes me think about something I've been wondering about for a while so I'll toss it out there.

Would it be practical or worthwhile for the retro gaming community to think about a handful of games/screens that we could use most often when posting images of setups to compare and gauge PQ? Are there already some games that are like this? The SMW title screen seems like a good one because of the colors, the big bold letters, the detailed but not overly complex graphics, and, most important, because most everyone has a copy of it.

I feel like the camera and photographer of the screen has a bigger impact than anything else.

Streets of Rage 2!

I feel like the camera and photographer of the screen has a bigger impact than anything else.

That is 100 percent true, and we'd never be able to control that variable. But I feel like at least having a stable of go-to images would allow people to have a common starting point for comparison and helping other enthusiasts understand different factors that we can control, like equipment and software. I'm not saying these would have to be the only images by any means, just a few that would be sort of the standard repertoire and baseline. Doesn't one of the TV review sites always use a blu-ray of a certain scene in a James Bond movie as a yardstick for some of its tests? That is what I'm talking about -- a common yard stick (or set of them, given we're talking about many platforms).

Just a thought. Maybe folks on other forums have this kind of thing happening already. I think it might be a fun way to extend both the expertise we've developed as a community here and further the spirit of helping our fellow retro fans as we go down the rabbit hole.

Any old phone camera these days is fine if your environment is suitable.
Check the Scanline Screenshot thread towards the last few pages... all my photos are taken with an Ipod Touch. Keep room lights off and pause the game (I use Framemeister's Freeze button which is even better) to get good photos easily.

I missed out a rival schools copy that went for about $20 shipped and am now bummed about it.
Lol wasn't my sale just an auction I was watching. Though if people pay that for a 9" now I wonder what I'd get for my 14" and 20"...

It had RGB via BNC. Still... 9"...

One of mine takes SCART (2030) but it's an outlier.

None of my pvms take scart. They do take rgbS over BNC though ;)

Whoops I meant SCART over BNC. If so then I can see maybe why someone would pay that much. The 9 Inch ones I've seen don't have BNC as Peltz mentioned.

bodine1231

I always use Mario World for SNES and Mario 3 for NES becuase it's games everyone has played.

Peltz

That is 100 percent true, and we'd never be able to control that variable. But I feel like at least having a stable of go-to images would allow people to have a common starting point for comparison and helping other enthusiasts understand different factors that we can control, like equipment and software. I'm not saying these would have to be the only images by any means, just a few that would be sort of the standard repertoire and baseline. Doesn't one of the TV review sites always use a blu-ray of a certain scene in a James Bond movie as a yardstick for some of its tests? That is what I'm talking about -- a common yard stick (or set of them, given we're talking about many platforms).

Just a thought. Maybe folks on other forums have this kind of thing happening already. I think it might be a fun way to extend both the expertise we've developed as a community here and further the spirit of helping our fellow retro fans as we go down the rabbit hole.

Isn't the 240p test suite the thing people tend to use? I have never actually used it before myself though.

I think the Super Mario World title screen would be a good choice. Ideally however, we'd have one test screen for RGB consoles, and another for Component consoles because PVMs tend to handle each standard differently (i.e. chroma control).

Super Mario Galaxy 2 has a good title screen for this sort of thing: (pardon the compressed shot from google images)

maxresdefault.jpg

Kawika

2 Cool things that happened this week. I got all the MSU1 games working on my SD2SNES and I got confirmation of my OSSC shipping. A

I wish the Chrono Trigger video didn't have BETA written across the screen. But some of that music sounds amazing. Makes me want to upgrade my speakers at some point now.

My friend is hooking me up with his original xbox. Mine hasn't worked for years so I am pretty excited to get some 480p gaming going. I wish XBOX wasn't so cagy about how the original xbox vc will work because I would be upset if I bought a bunch of original xbox games but the bc was digital only. Since they didn't make you do that with the 360 I have hope. That said, due to the lack of space, I am going to box up my PS2 when I get the xbox again. I can't think of many PS2 games that I have that haven't been ported or remastered anyway so its probably not so terrible to put it away.

Peltz

2 Cool things that happened this week. I got all the MSU1 games working on my SD2SNES and I got confirmation of my OSSC shipping. A

I wish the Chrono Trigger video didn't have BETA written across the screen. But some of that music sounds amazing. Makes me want to upgrade my speakers at some point now.

My friend is hooking me up with his original xbox. Mine hasn't worked for years so I am pretty excited to get some 480p gaming going. I wish XBOX wasn't so cagy about how the original xbox vc will work because I would be upset if I bought a bunch of original xbox games but the bc was digital only. Since they didn't make you do that with the 360 I have hope. That said, due to the lack of space, I am going to box up my PS2 when I get the xbox again. I can't think of many PS2 games that I have that haven't been ported or remastered anyway so its probably not so terrible to put it away.

I love the way Xbox looks in 480p. One of the first games I tried on my PVM was DOA3. It was like:

giphy.gif

That was also my face for F-Zero GX. It was like:

tumblr_odtb2q4orE1sgvjddo1_500.gif

Then when I tried Super Mario Galaxy it was like:

giphy.gif

I wish XBOX wasn't so cagy about how the original xbox vc will work because I would be upset if I bought a bunch of original xbox games but the bc was digital only. Since they didn't make you do that with the 360 I have hope.

They already said original xbox discs will work on XB1 BC.

Yo I'm you got msu-1 working!

it's officially confirmed that disks will work for og bc

Peltz

Now try DOAU, Ninja Gaiden Black, and Resident Evil Remake

Will do. I have all of those games.

Actually Ninja Gaiden on Xbox has a lot of aliasing that the DOA games don't. It's kind of surprising and I don't remember it being there. But it definitely looks great.

I love the way Xbox looks in 480p. One of the first games I tried on my PVM was DOA3. It was like:

That was also my face for F-Zero GX. It was like:

Then when I tried Super Mario Galaxy it was like:

DOA3 and DOA2U are breathtaking on a 31khz monitor. I showed it to a few friends and they couldn't believe it was only 480p.

Now it's DMC4 at 1024x768 that continues to blow me away. I wish more 7th gen games took advantage of that resolution.

Will do. I have all of those games.

Actually Ninja Gaiden on Xbox has a lot of aliasing that the DOA games don't. It's kind of surprising and I don't remember it being there. But it definitely looks great.

I think it's because there are a lot of bullshots for NG/NGB. I don't think the Aliasing is that bad tbh. The game looks marvelous on my PVM even at 480i. Something like Unreal Championship 2 I find harder to deal with. Amazing looking and playing game but the aliasing in that game is pretty dam bad to look at these days. Also tons of compression in the bink videos. I wonder if Epic has the assets to port an HD remake of it.

Peltz

I think their bc efforts are incredible but how many og xbox games are out there that havnt had superior re/releases?

A ton. I feel like Xbox has this bad rep of not having a bunch of great games. Just off the top of my head, there are these games that would benefit from BC. Bear in mind, a lot of these may not be exclusives (many are), but they're still not available on modern hardware, and the best versions of them remain the Xbox versions:

DOAU
DOAX
DOA3
NGB
Panzer Dragoon Orta
JSRF
Burnout 3: Takedown
PGR
PGR2
Crimson Skies
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Otogi
Otogi 2
Gunvalkyrie
Shenmue II
Conker Live and Reloaded
Sudeki
Outlaw Golf
Rallisport Challenge
Toe Jam and Earl 3
SSX Tricky
Etc

DOA3 and DOA2U are breathtaking on a 31khz monitor. I showed it to a few friends and they couldn't believe it was only 480p.

Yea, I honestly can't believe it myself. It looks like it's very high res.... but it's not.

Team Ninja was really something else back then.

I think their bc efforts are incredible but how many og xbox games are out there that havnt had superior re/releases?

NGB, Mech Assault(1/2), Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Unreal Championship 2, Otogi(1/2), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Amped 2, Breakdown, Project Gotham Racing 2, Metal Wolf Chaos, Steel Battalion, JET SET RADIO FUTUUUUUUREE, Rallisport challenge 2, Spikeout, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Gunvalkyrie and Hunter the Reckoning.

None of those had re-releases other than NGB/Double Agent and those re-releases weren't as good. You also have to consider the numerous multi-plat games exclusive to that gen and had their best version on xbox(Hulk Ultimate Destruction, NHL Hitz series etc)

Quick edit: Just saw that peltz commented in the time it took me to think of stuff. Can't believe I missed Conker, Shenmue 2 and DOAX. Those were all great titles too(albeit Conker's gameplay doesn't hold up amazing these days)

Isn't the 240p test suite the thing people tend to use? I have never actually used it before myself though.

My problem with 240p Test Suite is it's not all that accessible. I don't have any interest in buying flash carts, and don't own any CD-based retro consoles. I'm thinking about games that anyone can grab easily, or likely already has in front of them, like Bodine said.

Kawika

Starts making a list...

Ninja Gaiden Black, for one.

JSRF and Crimson Skies have their fans too.

These for sure...

A ton. I feel like Xbox has this bad rep of not having a bunch of great games. Just off the top of my head, there are these games that would benefit from BC. Bear in mind, a lot of these may not be exclusives (many are), but they're still not available on modern hardware, and the best versions of them remain the Xbox versions:

DOAU
DOAX
DOA3
NGB
Panzer Dragoon Orta
JSRF
PGR
PGR2
Crimson Skies
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Otogi
Otogi 2
Gunvalkyrie
Shenmue II
Conker Live and Reloaded
Sudeki
Outlaw Golf
Rallisport Challenge
Toe Jam and Earl 3
SSX Tricky
Etc

^ this, all of this. I have many of those still too.

NGB, Mech Assault(1/2), Crimson Skies, Splinter Cell Double Agent, Unreal Championship 2, Otogi(1/2), Panzer Dragoon Orta, Amped 2, Breakdown, Project Gotham Racing 2, Metal Wolf Chaos, Steel Battalion, JET SET RADIO FUTUUUUUUREE, Rallisport challenge 2, Spikeout, Dead or Alive Ultimate, Gunvalkyrie and Hunter the Reckoning.

None of those had re-releases other than NGB/Double Agent and those re-releases weren't as good. You also have to consider the numerous multi-plat games exclusive to that gen and had their best version on xbox(Hulk Ultimate Destruction, NHL Hitz series etc)

Quick edit: Just saw that peltz commented in the time it took me to think of stuff. Can't believe I missed Conker, Shenmue 2 and DOAX. Those were all great titles too(albeit Conker's gameplay doesn't hold up amazing these days)

Isn't Conker in Rare Replay?

Also going to add that Soul Calibur 2 is so freaking fantastic to look at and play on a good CRT. I wish I could play it in 480P and would recommend taking a look into that title as well. It doesn't hold a candle to the wizardry accomplished in DOA3/DOAU though but still a great looker.

For that, I prefer the two GCN versions. They're really best on that analogue stick.

I feel you on this. The N64 and Gamecube controllers are the only analoge sticks that I like for 3D platformers tbh. They have a great tactile feel to them. I can't pull of the nuanced movement in SM64 without anything other than an N64 controller. I've tried with other pads on emulators and always struggled.

Sonic

Peltz

I remember that there were og xbox games downloadable on 360. How was the emulation on these? As bad as ps2 classics on ps3?

Spotty. A lot of issues in a lot of games. A lot of cg videos within games stuttered too.

A lot of games also had immense slowdown that wasn't originally there.

Timu

DOAU
DOAX
DOA3
NGB
Panzer Dragoon Orta
JSRF
PGR
PGR2
Crimson Skies
Mechassault
Mechassault 2
Otogi
Otogi 2
Gunvalkyrie
Shenmue II
Conker Live and Reloaded
Sudeki
Outlaw Golf
Rallisport Challenge
Toe Jam and Earl 3
SSX Tricky
Etc
Yeah, it does get a bad rep like that even though it was always an awesome console!

That blows. Seems out of 6th gen only gamecube has decent playback on newer consoles
To be fair, there are Xbox games that work perfectly on Xbox 360 at least.

Ok apparently there are a bunch of of xbox games still best played on og xbox! Now how many of them aren't in licensing hell and could actually see a re release?

giphy.gif

Microsoft, you doing the vidya game thing right again.

I love a hungry Microsoft. Everything they are doing right now is " for the players"

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace

I always use that Super Mario World title-screen myself but making it a standard seems like a great idea.

Kawika

Ok apparently there are a bunch of of xbox games still best played on og xbox! Now how many of them aren't in licensing hell and could actually see a re release?

I love a hungry Microsoft. Everything they are doing right now is " for the players"

I love scrappy MS, Sony and Nintendo (have they ever been?). I really don't like smug attitude whoever is on top takes (or perceives themselves to be on top). The utter kick in the nuts MS took from Sony when Boyes and Yoshida shared a game with each other was one of my favorite e3 moments of all time.

Spencer and the XBOX team are making the right moves for me and I personally love that they are trying to continue on what sony took away from us back in the PS3 days.
BC is important even though I almost always prefer playing on the original system. I had no issue playing PS1 games on my PS2 and some games I thought looked better with their filter. I am not of that opinion today but I remember loving the look of Vagrant story when I got my PS2. I didn't know what made PS2 look awesome was that I finally got a component cable instead of composite.

That blows. Seems out of 6th gen only gamecube has decent playback on newer consoles

Thats because there is a Gamecube in the Wii.

So I bought 8 games not 20

SSX Tricky
Fable
Mech Assault 2
Crimson Skies
Rallisport Challenge 2
DOAU
Phantasy Star 1 and 2
and Riddick

Ok, so I found out why my Wii U looked soft at 720p. I had the Wii U's screen size option set a few notches below max, I simply set that to the max and readjusted the size on my monitor. Now 720p looks as crisp as I expected it to.

Peltz

I'm looking to invest in a home theatre in a box. Right now I'm rocking a 2.0 system (infinity primus bookshelf speakers with a denon avr receiver.

Anyway, I'm going to replace my current cabinet housing all of my systems, so I figure I may as well integrate a home theatre upgrade in my plans when arranging everything. I'm looking to go 5.1.

The thing is, I know home theatre in a box is not as good as buying separate components, but I'm looking for a one-time easy purchase for around $1,000 - $1,500 or so. I'm mostly going to be playing games on it (I miss surround sound gaming so much!) but it would be nice if it could also handle jazz and orchestral music cleanly too.

It doesn't need to have insane thumping bass or anything, I just want to hear every individual bass note cleanly. Clarity and warmth is way more important to me than power, depth, or volume considering I'm in a 1 bedroom apartment with a bitchy neighbor. Anyone here have any suggestions?

I was thinking of going with one of Onkyo's systems (I've had an onkyo surround system before), but I'm concerned that it's geared more towards movies and lacks the subtlety to really hear the jazz I care about. Has anyone else here gone through a similar upgrade recently? I haven't invested in sound in like 5-6 years now and am not very knowledgeable.

HDMI 2.2 is a requirement of course.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom