• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teknoman

Is there any way to capture 480i games at 60fps? AmarecTV just seems to default to capturing at 30 with anything thats 480i.

Tron999

Got the BVM's in! No damage,yes!! So far I've brought 4 home at lunch and they all turned on and work fine. I'm gonna bring the rest home after work and provide an update on them. Here's a quick pic

(btw the post it notes say 50k hours on them) Holy shit if that's all I'm gonna lose it!!

Are you in NYC? You need to get in a van and do an east coast tour dropping off PVMs for members, lol.

Rirse

Neo Member
For who was in the first batch of OSSC this year, how long did it take to get a email about shipping once they started talking about the units arriving. I am so eager to get mine in and the fact they are talking about 500 out of the 600 units are already arriving is making me excited it can be here soon.

bodine1231

Congrats!

Are they D series or A?

edit: I see they're all 20F1U. Excellent, you'll have no problems with those :)

They are all F1U's and one is an E1U. Six of them work great and the hours range from 43k up to 119k. The ones above 100k probably need a cap changed because it has a little bit of micro shake to the picture. You'd never notice it in gameplay but I saw it on the test suite. Two of them only the SDI card works for some reason. I cannot get the RGB cards to work. Sucks too because those have 50k hours on them.

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Ahh! Hey everybody. My account finally got approved, so I can finally jump in and say hi. I read the entirety of the first RetroAV thread, and I've lurked this one since it began. Wish I had some fun scanline pics to share on hand at the moment, but I can give a quick summary of my setup. Man I wish I had jumped in back when the thread was about Discmans and such, that was extremely my jam.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the nerdy details. Apologies if the formatting gets all messed up, this is literally my first post on NeoGAF.

Main Retro Setup:
  • - NES (Composite)
  • - NoaC clone for Famicom carts (Composite)
  • - SNES (SCART)
  • - N64 (Composite)
  • - PS1 (SCART)
  • - PS2 (Component)
  • - Saturn (SCART)
  • - Xbox (Component)
  • - Wii (Component)
All into a Sony BVM-20E1U and a PVM-8041Q for fun. Audio runs into a Pioneer AVR with Teac bookshelf speakers. SCART is handled by that 5-way manual Bandridge switch. Recently gave my KV24FV300 to a fellow CRT gaming community.

//

Modern Setup
  • - PS4 (HDMI)
  • - PS3 (HDMI)
  • - PS2 (Component, Optical Audio)
  • - X360 (HDMI)
  • - Xbox (Component, Optical Audio)
  • - Dreamcast (VGA)

All into a Yamaha HTR-5063 (about to upgrade to a Denon AVR-S930H). From there it goes into a Sony KDL-46VL150, and 7.1 audio across a spread of vintage Infinity, Pioneer, and Sony speakers. There's also a bunch of vintage hi-fi gear both of these setups but idk if this is the place for that.

I've been keeping track of this scene for a long time, just never had a GAF account. Big fan of MLiG, and everyone involved in the Retro Roundtable scene.

Currently saving for a black Analogue NT Mini.

Welcome, you picked a great thread to jump into. Ignore the rest of Gaming GAF. It's trash.

Super jealous of your multiple professional monitors. I keep trying to get some guy from Louisiana to come here but he seems to be ignoring me.

Looking forward to pictures!

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Welcome, you picked a great thread to jump into. Ignore the rest of Gaming GAF. It's trash.

Super jealous of your multiple professional monitors. I keep trying to get some guy from Louisiana to come here but he seems to be ignoring me.

Thanks! This is literally the only thread I'm interested in following, lol. Seems like every games-centric community on the internet becomes some variant of cesspool over time, but this one is super productive and everyone's generally really helpful to each other, I love it.

Honestly, with the monitors, I just got extremely lucky. The 8041Q was a $45 Offer-Up purchase locally (Seattle area), and the 20E1U was actually free from a huge news station. I just emailed the production department and told them I was looking for old CRT monitors, expending them to ask for a substantial amount of money, but they offered it for free if I'd come pick it up. I was there so fast. I never get that kind of luck with anything ever, so I'm endlessly grateful that worked out the way it did!!

bodine1231

PM'd :p

I may be going to Retropalooza in Texas this weekend if anyone is interested in buying/trading for a BVM :)

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Been frantically looking around the apartment for things to sell to find an Analogue NT Mini. For whatever reason that's what I'm excited about most right now. Anybody here have any experience with them? Any idea how long the wait is between batches? I know they're about to do another batch but there's no way I'll have the money before this one.

Peagles

Ahh! Hey everybody. My account finally got approved, so I can finally jump in and say hi. I read the entirety of the first RetroAV thread, and I've lurked this one since it began. Wish I had some fun scanline pics to share on hand at the moment, but I can give a quick summary of my setup. Man I wish I had jumped in back when the thread was about Discmans and such, that was extremely my jam.

Anyway, without further ado, here's the nerdy details. Apologies if the formatting gets all messed up, this is literally my first post on NeoGAF.

Main Retro Setup:
  • - NES (Composite)
  • - SNES (SCART)
  • - N64 (Composite)
  • - PS1 (SCART)
  • - PS2 (Component)
  • - Saturn (SCART)
  • - Xbox (Component)
  • - Wii (Component)
All into a Sony BVM-20E1U and a PVM-8041Q for fun. Audio runs into a Pioneer AVR with Teac bookshelf speakers. SCART is handled by that 5-way manual Bandridge switch. Recently gave my KV24FV300 to a fellow CRT gaming community.

//

Modern Setup
  • - PS4 (HDMI)
  • - PS3 (HDMI)
  • - X360 (HDMI)
  • - Dreamcast (VGA)

All into a Yamaha HTR-5063 (about to upgrade to a Denon AVR-S930H). From there it goes into a Sony KDL-46VL150, and 7.1 audio across a spread of vintage Infinity, Pioneer, and Sony speakers. There's also a bunch of vintage hi-fi gear both of these setups but idk if this is the place for that.

I've been keeping track of this scene for a long time, just never had a GAF account. Big fan of MLiG, and everyone involved in the Retro Roundtable scene.

Welcome! The entirety of Retro-GAF is pretty nice I think you’ll find. Good to have another enthusiast in here, your setups sound awesome.

We can talk about Discmans again if you like... I think I want to get one myself!

dadjumper

Okay, so I've been down this path before. I started on PVMs (had 2), then once my big one failed I switched to a framemeister. When I moved countries, I sold all my retro stuff and went for emulation. Now, however, I'm getting the urge to collect Super Famicom carts.
So, my question is:
What's the most affordable but still nice looking way to play Super Famicom on an HDTV?
I've looked into this a bit and maaaybe those component cables are okay, but they're still pretty pricy. I don't really want to buy an upscaler for just one system, but I still want to play legit carts, and on a legit console if possible. Help?

Bendo

Okay, so I've been down this path before. I started on PVMs (had 2), then once my big one failed I switched to a framemeister. When I moved countries, I sold all my retro stuff and went for emulation. Now, however, I'm getting the urge to collect Super Famicom carts.
So, my question is:
What's the most affordable but still nice looking way to play Super Famicom on an HDTV?
I've looked into this a bit and maaaybe those component cables are okay, but they're still pretty pricy. I don't really want to buy an upscaler for just one system, but I still want to play legit carts, and on a legit console if possible. Help?

The most affordable is likely just using S-Video/RGB depending on your country and TV. Either will give you significantly better colors and much less bleed, though they obviously won't help with potentially terrible scaling from your TV. SCART into my Panasonic ST60 actually looks quite decent, even though latency is of course trash.

televator

Main Retro Setup:
  • - NES (Composite)
  • - SNES (SCART)
  • - N64 (Composite)
  • - PS1 (SCART)
  • - PS2 (Component)
  • - Saturn (SCART)
  • - Xbox (Component)
  • - Wii (Component)

//

Modern Setup
  • - PS4 (HDMI)
  • - PS3 (HDMI)
  • - X360 (HDMI)
  • - Dreamcast (VGA)

Mod👏 your👏 Xbox👏 if you haven’t already. Lets talk about this hifi stuff.
Lets talk about Discmans. Watchu got?

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Mod👏 your👏 Xbox👏 if you haven’t already. Lets talk about this hifi stuff.
Lets talk about Discmans. Watchu got?

Oh don't worry, both Xboxes are modded and the clock capacitors have been dealt with. As for the Discman, I'll have to check the actual model when I get home! But I was drooling over that D-25, whoever posted it.

Peltz

Main Retro Setup:
  • - NES (Composite)
  • - SNES (SCART)
  • - N64 (Composite)
  • - PS1 (SCART)
  • - PS2 (Component)
  • - Saturn (SCART)
  • - Xbox (Component)
  • - Wii (Component)

//

Modern Setup
  • - PS4 (HDMI)
  • - PS3 (HDMI)
  • - X360 (HDMI)
  • - Dreamcast (VGA)

Welcome dude! You may want to look into an S-Video cable for your N64 if you're not willing to mod it for RGB. The difference will still be worth it.

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Welcome dude! You may want to look into an S-Video cable for your N64 if you're not willing to mod it for RGB. The difference will still be worth it.

Oh I know, I have a few lying around. But to get an S-Video capable BKM card for my BVM would be a couple hundred dollars, if I can find one at all. So that's the one console I'm content with composite on. Especially since, without mods, the three stages of texture blurring and anti-aliasing make it look so muddy and nasty anyway. I've just kinda resigned myself to "Welp, that's just what N64 games look like." for better or for worse. I appreciate it though! I used to use S-Video on my N64 back when I had an FV3OO.

Peltz

Oh I know, I have a few lying around. But to get an S-Video capable BKM card for my BVM would be a couple hundred dollars, if I can find one at all. So that's the one console I'm content with composite on. Especially since, without mods, the three stages of texture blurring and anti-aliasing make it look so muddy and nasty anyway. I've just kinda resigned myself to "Welp, that's just what N64 games look like." for better or for worse. I appreciate it though! I used to use S-Video on my N64 back when I had an FV3OO.

Oh right... those pesky BVM input cards. At that price, you might as well mod for RGB if you want some nicer colors/sharpness. Personally, I think it's worth it.

televator

Oh don't worry, both Xboxes are modded and the clock capacitors have been dealt with. As for the Discman, I'll have to check the actual model when I get home! But I was drooling over that D-25, whoever posted it.

I’ll have to look back. Don’t remember a D25 posted. I put up a D33 though.

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
Noice! I hope I get lucky at goodwill again and find another D series. Just gotta stop being lazy and go there. lol

Lol that's exactly where I found mine. It's only one I've found so far! And that was only a couple weeks ago. Been keeping an eye out for one for a few years now. Ah well.

dadjumper

The most affordable is likely just using S-Video/RGB depending on your country and TV. Either will give you significantly better colors and much less bleed, though they obviously won't help with potentially terrible scaling from your TV. SCART into my Panasonic ST60 actually looks quite decent, even though latency is of course trash.

Hmmm, I'll have to check my ports. I know it doesn't have SCART and am unsure if it would have S-Video. It's a pretty recent TV from Japan.
Edit: googled my model (I'm at work) and no dice. Not even component on that thing, just HDMI and Display Port, plus one composite. RIP

Bendo

Hmmm, I'll have to check my ports. I know it doesn't have SCART and am unsure if it would have S-Video. It's a pretty recent TV from Japan.
Edit: googled my model (I'm at work) and no dice. Not even component on that thing, just HDMI and Display Port, plus one composite. RIP
Oof, that bites. I guess we're past the point where TV manufacturers bother with analog ports since nobody has DVD players anymore. In that case your best bet is likely the OSSC. It's about half the price of the Framemeister, though they're not opening up for new orders until later in the year I believe.

Kawika

Trying to rescue old saves and move them to my everdrives. I am in the process of putting fresh batteries on some of my old games and I know I can back them up to my retron 5 (which is seriously the only reason i bought the damn thing). But since i use my everdrive so much, I would like to import my saves to those as well.

I really want to import my old saves and I only have access to a retron 5. Does anyone know if I back them up on that, can I convert the save file to something the SD2SNES/Everdvies can use? I really only care about backing up SNES and GBA games so any help there would be awesome.

Thanks.

pje122

If I came across a BVM A20F1U and a BVM D20F1U on Craigslist, what would be a reasonable price for me to consider for either of these?

catabarez

Trying to rescue old saves and move them to my everdrives. I am in the process of putting fresh batteries on some of my old games and I know I can back them up to my retron 5 (which is seriously the only reason i bought the damn thing). But since i use my everdrive so much, I would like to import my saves to those as well.

I really want to import my old saves and I only have access to a retron 5. Does anyone know if I back them up on that, can I convert the save file to something the SD2SNES/Everdvies can use? I really only care about backing up SNES and GBA games so any help there would be awesome.

Thanks.

What format are the Retron5 saves?

I backed up GBA, DS, and GB saves and it was super easy to load on flash carts. They were all in the right format. I assume it would be the same for SNES.

Kawika

What format are the Retron5 saves?

It says .sav but I couldn't use the files on any emulator. Everytime I look up a Retron 5 thread it goes to shit because people bring up the stolen code. I get it, I see it in every thread. I am just trying to back up and restore my saves.

I just changed the file name when I went from my Super Everdrive to my SD2SNES but I don't know if I can do the same when it comes to the retron. I guess I can try it but I have to find the power supply and all the stuff that goes with the retron before I can try it. I was just wondering if someone knew this in advance because like I said, I couldn't export the saves from the Ret5 to Retroarch.

Thanks.

I BELIEVE the format that the SD2SNES and Everdrives use for saves are the same that emulators use. While not the same I used a retrode to rip all of my SNES and Genesis games and save files to the computer and they all work perfectly with my SD2SNES.

*edit* weird on the retron5 (just saw your latest post). I don't know if you want to spend more money, but I can confirm the Retrode does it perfectly, and will work with the SD2SNES and Everdrives. The unit by itself will do SNES and Genesis, and there are add on adapters to use with the GB, N64, and Master System.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
So, here's a question to which I should have an answer, but don't:

With all the old-school game re-releases available on modern systems, why is an old game rendering a 240p image preferable to that same game rendering in 720p? Or is it. Curious what the technical explanation for why one is better than the other is.

Obviously, we're assuming someone's running on an HDTV.

Kawika

After looking this topic up a half dozen times in the past year. I just posted the question to gaf and like magic when I searched again and I stumbled on this thread.

This is what the user named woof posted.

Here is a simple program to extract and pack files from the Retron 5.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/me4pgfy0daas0aa/Retron 5 Converter.zip?dl=0

Installation notes:
This program requires Microsoft ASP .NET MVC 4 Runtime
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=17718
and Microsoft Visual C++ 2010 Redistributable.
https://www.microsoft.com/en-US/download/details.aspx?id=8328

How to extract a file from a Retron sav file:
Drag and drop a file on the windows form or select it by using the dialog box e.g. 'C:\Retron 5\The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Europe).sav'.
Select the output file by using the dialog box e.g. 'C:\Retron 5\The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Europe).srm'.
Start the extraction by pressing 'Read from Retron 5 file'
Note: You must select the correct file suffix for the output file (.srm for SNES, .sav for NES, GBC and GBA, etc.)

How to pack a file to the Retron file format
Drag and drop a file on the windows form or select it by using the dialog box e.g. 'C:\Retron 5\The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Europe).srm'.
Start the packing process by pressing 'Write as Retron 5 file'
Note: When packing a file the output file is always called 'inputfilename.sav' e.g. 'C:\Retron 5\The Legend of Zelda - A Link to the Past (Europe).srm.sav'

With all the old-school game re-releases available on modern systems, why is an old game rendering a 240p image preferable to that same game rendering in 720p? Or is it. Curious what the technical explanation for why one is better than the other is.

For me, it's because most of those re-releases are running on emulation, which has a certain amount of lag that's just built in. Depending on the emulator it could be as little as 1 - 2 frames or 5+. Plus in my experience most of those solutions don't upscale as nicely as a Framemeister or OSSC. Now that can be subjective (although I would say not in the case of the Wii U's NES emulation). Personally for me, I like playing on original hardware as well. Then there's the whole digital only distribution bullshit. Look at the WiiWare servers going down. After 2019 if your Wii dies, your VC collection goes with it. There's no replacing that Wii and redownloading them. Sure you can back up your nand, and your games and do the whole homebrew thing to alleviate that, but it's not as simple as just plugging your games into a replacement Genesis.

It's a personal thing though, and if you dig playing say the Mega Man Legacy collection on your PS4 then fucking rock out. Do it how ever it works for you, no one solution is for every one.

One thing is that old systems output in analog, so the horizontal scaling to output it to your TV is just a matter of sampling that output at whatever rate you want. For a modern TV the HDMI spec allows up to 2880x240. This is great for systems that don't have square PARs.

So you could get a much nicer image as a result than an emulator doing a smooth scale to 960 pixels wide and then your TV doing another smooth scale up to 4K.

Is it really preferable? On an HDTV, the 3x 720p the OSSC produces looks better than 240p to me. I guess there is an argument to be made for native resolution, but outside of a CRT, that argument makes no sense to me since the image will be being scaled to a degree, regardless.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
For me, it's because most of those re-releases are running on emulation, which has a certain amount of lag that's just built in. Depending on the emulator it could be as little as 1 - 2 frames or 5+. Plus in my experience most of those solutions don't upscale as nicely as a Framemeister or OSSC. Now that can be subjective (although I would say not in the case of the Wii U's NES emulation). Personally for me, I like playing on original hardware as well. Then there's the whole digital only distribution bullshit. Look at the WiiWare servers going down. After 2019 if your Wii dies, your VC collection goes with it. There's no replacing that Wii and redownloading them. Sure you can back up your nand, and your games and do the whole homebrew thing to alleviate that, but it's not as simple as just plugging your games into a replacement Genesis.

It's a personal thing though, and if you dig playing say the Mega Man Legacy collection on your PS4 then fucking rock out. Do it how ever it works for you, no one solution is for every one.

Well, I guess what I'm thinking about, in particular, is when games would come out on the Dreamcast that ran at 480p, and people were all excited to learn that there was a 240p mode. Like, what's the technical advantage to that?

Probably should've just posed the question that way in the first place.

Is it really preferable? On an HDTV, the 3x 720p the OSSC produces looks better than 240p to me. I guess there is an argument to be made for native resolution, but outside of a CRT, that argument makes no sense to me since the image will be being scaled to a degree, regardless.

Nah, I'm talking about rendering at 720p; not scaling a 240p image up to a higher resolution.

Well, I guess what I'm thinking about, in particular, is when games would come out on the Dreamcast that ran at 480p, and people were all excited to learn that there was a 240p mode. Like, what's the technical advantage to that?

Probably should've just posed the question that way in the first place.

240p would match the arcade resolution closer, plus I think most consumer sets without a VGA input would mishandle 480p, or lack the functionality at all. Thinking specifically about the DC version of Third Strike, which I force 240p on mad hard when playing on my Toshiba.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom