• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro AV Club Thread 2: Classic Gaming Done Right!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
240p would match the arcade resolution closer, plus I think most consumer sets without a VGA input would mishandle 480p, or lack the functionality at all. Thinking specifically about the DC version of Third Strike, for this.

Right, but why is matching the arcade resolution better? I realize this is kind of an inane question, but I've got a thirst for knowledge.

I would say it's more for a progressive image over an interlaced one. Not many people used vga with their dreamcast and 240p looks way better then 480i on a consumer tv

It's native res for those games. 480p looks pixelated for them in comparison.

Exactly, and in my particular scenario with my Toshiba CRT, 240p is vastly preferable to the 480i I'd be getting since I can't use the Dreamcast VGA cables with it.

I would say it's more for a progressive image over an interlaced one. Not many people used vga with their dreamcast and 240p looks way better then 480i on a consumer tv

Bingo

Kawika

If anyone cares, I was able to use that program that i found to export my saves from my cart to my retron 5 and copy it to my sd2snes. Its so weird, suddenly the roms on my cart feel like mine. My childhood saves are now there. Started a NG+ Chrono Trigger. So so happy i was able to do this before the saves were gone.

If anyone cares, I was able to use that program that i found to export my saves from my cart to my retron 5 and copy it to my sd2snes. Its so weird, suddenly the roms on my cart feel like mine. My childhood saves are now there. Started a NG+ Chrono Trigger. So so happy i was able to do this before the saves were gone.

I did the same thing a few years ago using an interact memory manager and game boy flash cart for all of by game boy games. TLoZ:LA, Pokemons, Dragon Quests, etc. all preserved!

It's moments like these that I really regret being a stupid teenager and selling all my shit for gas money. The only gaming related part of my childhood I still have is an n64 memory card that I found in a box somewhere.

Worth mentioning that some games stop working correctly if you flash a new save to them. I imagine most games are fine but stuff with an rtc frequently fucks up afaik.

I did the same thing a few years ago using an interact memory manager and game boy flash cart for all of by game boy games. TLoZ:LA, Pokemons, Dragon Quests, etc. all preserved!

I've used the following to dump saves:

GB/GBC: The N64 transfer pak w/ an Everdrive
GBA: A DS lite w/ a flash cart and some homebrew
DS: an r4i save dongle (also works for older 3DS games)
3DS: JKSM

For some reason I just haven't had a reason to back up saves from home console carts.

Kawika

It's moments like these that I really regret being a stupid teenager and selling all my shit for gas money. The only gaming related part of my childhood I still have is an n64 memory card that I found in a box somewhere.

I sold some and had many stolen. My entire NES collection was stolen from me. It has taken significant time and effort to replace my games.

Still Missing

Kirby
Journey to Silius
Super C
Crystalis
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Shadow of the Ninja
Ninja Gaiden 3
Megaman 1
Kickmaster
Shattered Hand.
Metal Storm

Part of my GB collection got stolen too.

Super Mario Land
Zelda Oracles and Ages
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby
Ducktales
Megaman 2-5
Maru's Adventure
All of the Turtle's games
Kid Dracula

Also I had a friend of mine bug me to no end for my SNES Collection. Which his kids ended up breaking my SNES and he didn't tell me and sold the rest of it to someone else.

I've replaced many but its hard to re-buy things you already bought years ago

Still missing
Link to the Past
TMNT
All the Street Fighter 2 games
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Mystic Ninja
Contra 3
S. Castlevania 4
Final Fight Guy
Ultraman lol I'm never rebuying it
Tetris Attack
S. Ghouls and Ghosts

Lucky for me i had the foresight to hide a few of my favorites like S. Metroid and CT.

This has been really painful rebuying things I lost so the fact that my Metroid and Chrono Trigger saves were still there brought me a lot of joy.

Always interesting to see an alternative perspective

I dug my original SNES out of the garage and it still powered on. When I hooked it up to compare to the classic, I was really surprised by how different it looked! The TV blurs the image from the original to stretch it, and I think that is closer to what we experienced with 90s TVs. My wife actually thought the original looks better, and I can see that. In this example, as a kid I imagined Ryu's hair flowing realistically over his headband, now I can see the exact pixels of where it is and is not, I think its actually better to not know, and that is likely how the original artists meant it to be.

dfLR96z.jpg

I've used the following to dump saves:

GB/GBC: The N64 transfer pak w/ an Everdrive
GBA: A DS lite w/ a flash cart and some homebrew
DS: an r4i save dongle (also works for older 3DS games)
3DS: JKSM

For some reason I just haven't had a reason to back up saves from home console carts.

It's so awesome when I pull a save of a half-finished SNES game off my 3DS with JKSM and then finish the game on a real SNES with Everdrive.

Yagami_Sama

I still cant decide if I should try to buy a OSSC or a Framemeister. The later seems to be a "better" deal, because I have no intention of modding any of consoles. N64 better output would be using a S-Video and at least my NES and Famicon, have just AV and RF, not sure if I will manage to have an improvement on the NES / Famicon.

Could someone help me decide which one to pickup ? I am currently won a 55 " Samsung KS8000 4K TV and play retro consoles there, mainly NES, N64 is not that great.

Please help.

Peltz

I still cant decide if I should try to buy a OSSC or a Framemeister. The later seems to be a "better" deal, because I have no intention of modding any of consoles. N64 better output would be using a S-Video and at least my NES and Famicon, have just AV and RF, not sure if I will manage to have an improvement on the NES / Famicon.

Could someone help me decide which one to pickup ? I am currently won a 55 " Samsung KS8000 4K TV and play retro consoles there, mainly NES, N64 is not that great.

Please help.
For that setup specifically, framemeister.

Kawika

Please help.

Framemeister is your best bet if you won't mod. Both of those consoles have HDMI mods. If you only care about NES and N64 you should look into the HDMI mods for both because they are quite excellent.

Also if you don't want to mod the NES you can get a FPGA based system called the the AVS by retro usb for about $185. But honestly, your cheapest bet is to find an old crt. Doesn't need to be fancy. You can find one with composite and s-video for free to dirt cheap. I think both of those look great even without rgb on an old crt.

Please help.
I had the same thought about modding when I bought a Framemeister and I gotta say that I don't think it would even be worth it unless you did mod. I was not satisfied with the composite output through the framemeister. S-Video is a bit better but if it's for just one system the money would be better spent on a specific hdmi mod. If you are not going to expand to RGB or to other systems I would do as Kawika suggests below and just buy an hdmi modded system. It will be a little more expensive but it will actually be a noticeable improvement and worth it.

With Peltz now, he has all 3 his PVM's stacked and daisy chained. We're playing Gun Star Heros. Seeing it on all three screens at one time is an experience. Amazing. Will post pics when I get home=)

bodine1231

I sold some and had many stolen. My entire NES collection was stolen from me. It has taken significant time and effort to replace my games.

Still Missing

Kirby
Journey to Silius
Super C
Crystalis
Kabuki Quantum Fighter
Shadow of the Ninja
Ninja Gaiden 3
Megaman 1
Kickmaster
Shattered Hand.
Metal Storm

Part of my GB collection got stolen too.

Super Mario Land
Zelda Oracles and Ages
Gargoyle's Quest
Kirby
Ducktales
Megaman 2-5
Maru's Adventure
All of the Turtle's games
Kid Dracula

Also I had a friend of mine bug me to no end for my SNES Collection. Which his kids ended up breaking my SNES and he didn't tell me and sold the rest of it to someone else.

I've replaced many but its hard to re-buy things you already bought years ago

Still missing
Link to the Past
TMNT
All the Street Fighter 2 games
Final Fantasy 2
Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
Mystic Ninja
Contra 3
S. Castlevania 4
Final Fight Guy
Ultraman lol I'm never rebuying it
Tetris Attack
S. Ghouls and Ghosts

Lucky for me i had the foresight to hide a few of my favorites like S. Metroid and CT.

This has been really painful rebuying things I lost so the fact that my Metroid and Chrono Trigger saves were still there brought me a lot of joy.

I feel you brother,I sold or traded most of my stuff years ago and I'm just buying it back over again,its worse that everything is so expensive and most of my stuff was picked up for next to nothing.

Today is a perfect example,I got a good deal on these ($330) today in New Orleans but still,I bought most of them from a video store that was closing years ago for maybe $50 boxed and traded all my SNES stuff for a PS2.

(I didnt have to pay cash though,traded 5 RGB monitors that were broken or needed cap kits,lol)

kDdltngl.jpg

Jebusman

Banned
Quick dumb question, what's the typical TVL you'd see on consumer CRTs?

My parents have a 32" JVC CRT with a TVL of 700. I'll likely take it off their hands whenever I get around to replacing it for them, but I'm trying to gauge where it sits in terms of "quality".

Model is JVC AV-32020

Peltz

My parents have a 32" JVC CRT with a TVL of 700. I'll likely take it off their hands whenever I get around to replacing it for them, but I'm trying to gauge where it sits in terms of "quality".

Model is JVC AV-32020

That's a very high number. Consumer sets are typically between 300 to 500. You'll have thicker scanlines and a sharper picture than some PVMs. If you're into really sharp and clear looking games, it will be good.

That's a very high number. Consumer sets are typically between 300 to 500. You'll have thicker scanlines and a sharper picture than some PVMs. If you're into really sharp and clear looking games, it will be good.

It probably won't have thicker "scanlines" than a PVM because consumer sets usually don't have as tight of electron beam focus as PVMs and BVMs.

TVL is just the number of openings across the shadow mask or aperture grill.

Peltz

It probably won't have thicker "scanlines" than a PVM because consumer sets usually don't have as tight of electron beam focus as PVMs and BVMs.

TVL is just the number of openings across the shadow mask or aperture grill.

Oh, gotcha. Didn't know that.

Jebusman

Banned
It's also lacking a little bit on inputs. Just 2 composite and 1 S-video.

But I can't really scoff at a fairly good condition CRT at that size. The only other thing I have is a little PVM-6041QM, which, while in working condition, is also 6". Not having to sit a foot from the screen to see something would be nice.

Yawnny

It's also lacking a little bit on inputs. Just 2 composite and 1 S-video.

But I can't really scoff at a fairly good condition CRT at that size. The only other thing I have is a little PVM-6041QM, which, while in working condition, is also 6". Not having to sit a foot from the screen to see something would be nice.

At least it has S-Video. S-Video is still very good at bringing up the sharpness for lots of consoles, and don't have to worry about buying RGB cables (ie: for SNES).

ie: PSX looks fantastic through SVideo on my 13" Sony PVM

I run my SNES through RBB to the same PVM and the 'quality' seems on par, even though we're dealing with two different systems so it's really not a fair comparison, but they both look "sharp".

Yes Boss!

Model is JVC AV-32020

I have a JVC AV-32432 and it is absolutely one of my favorite CRTs I own. Image is phenomenal and does not have that over-crispness of the PVMs which more mimics how we saw 240p content back then anyways. Plus, size is way greater.

7G6GiQo.jpg

Peltz

I have a JVC AV-32432 and it is absolutely one of my favorite CRTs I own. Image is phenomenal and does not have that over-crispness of the PVMs which more mimics how we saw 240p content back then anyways. Plus, size is way greater.

7G6GiQo.jpg

That's beautiful.

Yawnny

7G6GiQo.jpg

This picture makes me feel warm and fuzzy

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member

7G6GiQo.jpg

Damn that's comfy. Can't help eyeing that multiform at BVM next to it though. How's the NT Mini? That's the next thing I'm trying to get so I'm trying to find input from people who have them.

I found this JVC at a dumpster when I was in Korea. I always try out CRTs when I find them dumped. This one was an amazing find.

Nice find! 700tvl and component inputs makes me wonder how it compares to an fv300/310.

Did you hear of anyone dieing from fan death while you were in Korea?

televator

7G6GiQo.jpg

Lol, this was the first TV I bought with my own money. I had this and a Aiwa mini shelf stereo system to feed my GameCube to. Metroid Prime looked great via component on it and the music came to life on the stereo system.

Lol, this was the first TV I bought with my own money. I had this and a Aiwa mini shelf stereo system to feed my GameCube to. Metroid Prime looked great via component on it and the music came to life on the stereo system.

That feeling when you accidentally luck into something high quality that ruins everything you get afterwards for life.
The last non hd PC monitor I got was nearly perfect color-wise for me and I haven't been able to find anything that looks/feels as good since. Every few years I try to find a new one of quality but always end up with some sort of glow or backlight bleed. :c

lupin23rd

I've got an NES top loader that I was looking to put on Craigslist after I received my AVS. Was just testing it over the weekend and it gives me a picture, but there's flicker along with a kind of clicking noise, as well as no actual game audio.

The same game works perfect on the AVS, so either something with the system, or something about connecting it via RF to my Panasonic Plasma. Is there a way to get non-RF out of the system without modding it (like an RF to something else adapter) or should I try to find an older TV to test on? Or do these symptoms sound like a specific problem that I can either address or disclose when I post it up?

HideoKojimaJr

Neo Member
I've got an NES top loader that I was looking to put on Craigslist after I received my AVS. Was just testing it over the weekend and it gives me a picture, but there's flicker along with a kind of clicking noise, as well as no actual game audio.

The same game works perfect on the AVS, so either something with the system, or something about connecting it via RF to my Panasonic Plasma. Is there a way to get non-RF out of the system without modding it (like an RF to something else adapter) or should I try to find an older TV to test on? Or do these symptoms sound like a specific problem that I can either address or disclose when I post it up?

Nah, USA top loaders only output RF without mods unfortunately. It's likely that your TV is responding with something along the lines of "dude what even is this what are you trying to do". Do you have access to a CRT to test it on, or any other TV that may have an RF input?

lupin23rd

Nah, USA top loaders only output RF without mods unfortunately. It's likely that your TV is responding with something along the lines of "dude what even is this what are you trying to do". Do you have access to a CRT to test it on, or any other TV that may have an RF input?

I think I've got a friend who might have something, so will have to take it over there. Was hoping I could just pick up an RF modulator and try to connect via the red/white/yellow cables, although seems like a waste unless that actually makes it easier for whoever buys it to use it on their TV.

Anth0ny

I'm considering a supergun too... but there's so many different ones, it seems. Is there one GOOD one that anyone could recommend? I mainly want to play CPS2 and 3 stuff, but also everything else... eventually.

Also if I could plug my 360/PS3 era arcade sticks into it and use those that would be great.

It has JAMMA input and can output JP21 or HDMI.
very cool! how much is that?

As a starting point, might not be a bad idea to read through the OP of the arcade thread: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1401699

Not sure how well-versed you are in all that sort of stuff, but assuming it's foreign, couldn't hurt.
thanks i subscribed to it.

so far. i know i need a super gun, old 2002 atx power supply 5, -5, and 12 volt. and wires/pin connectors to connect the jamma board, controllers. i need to learn about it so that link is perfect.

very cool! how much is that?

thanks i subscribed to it.

so far. i know i need a super gun, old 2002 atx power supply 5, -5, and 12 volt. and wires/pin connectors to connect the jamma board, controllers. i need to learn about it so that link is perfect.

I thought I had a picture that included the price but it looks like I may have deleted it when I no longer needed to do a price comparison and look up specs. If I remember correctly, I think I paid around 35000 yen for it at a shop in Akihabara. It may have been a little less. I don't think I spent more than that.

My Supergun doesn't require anything extra, has an awesome control panel and includes an upscaler. If you aren't getting everything I got, I would probably spend half that or even less.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom