• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro FPS Hrot is out now on Steam, GOG

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion

HROT is retro FPS game, on it's own engine written in Pascal, which is from 1986 Czechoslovakia after some catastrophe (as per creators text). I played a little bit and feels like Quake and it is pretty good, familiar places and language, highly recommended. It can run on anything basically.

Here are system requirements:

jmcnC5k.png

PC Gamer

Has enormous collection of anime/manga. Cosplays as waifu.
Are you guys serious? The developer would have to pay me to play that cra..., I mean, game.

VN1X

Banned
Played this during the Early Access period and had a lot of fun with it. Very much enjoyed the bleak and oppressive visuals as well hah.

Looking forward to getting stuck in this weekend!

Last edited:

simpatico

This game is going to become the new filter I think. Not in difficulty, but appreciation and taste. Without even having to look, I can guarantee the naysayers have equinophobia. After just a few hours, I already put this in the same tier as Dusk and Cultic for FPS excellence.

Last edited:
This game is going to become the new filter I think. Not in difficulty, but appreciation and taste. Without even having to look, I can guarantee the naysayers are big Horizon fans. After just a few hours, I already put this in the same tier as Dusk and Cultic for FPS excellence. If they aren't Horizon fans, they probably have equinophobia
Was gonna ask how people compare it to dusk. Buying tonight based on this post.

Can I play on deck or must I keyboard and mouse? As a boomer shooter afficianado I prefer the latter but my PC is the household media center and it will be a huge pain in the ass to set up.

simpatico

Was gonna ask how people compare it to dusk. Buying tonight based on this post.

Can I play on deck or must I keyboard and mouse? As a boomer shooter afficianado I prefer the latter but my PC is the household media center and it will be a huge pain in the ass to set up.
Very Easy mode could be done on a Steam deck. But the movement is so so so good you'll want to also play it on KB&M. Not a boring moment so far. Map design is chef's kiss. I'm sure it's recency bias, but I'm thinking this is better than Dusk. The only color in the game is brown, and yet every map fun to look at it and move around in. To me that's a huge flex by the dev. Dunking on the rest of the FPS market using nothing but brown. C'mon.

Very Easy mode could be done on a Steam deck. But the movement is so so so good you'll want to also play it on KB&M. Not a boring moment so far. Map design is chef's kiss. I'm sure it's recency bias, but I'm thinking this is better than Dusk. The only color in the game is brown, and yet every map fun to look at it and move around in. To me that's a huge flex by the dev. Dunking on the rest of the FPS market using nothing but brown. C'mon.
Damn, you got me mate. You've convinced me it's worth the setup and teardown (probably 15 minutes of work per session) - the point you made about brown is what did me in.

I'm looking forward to this

Edit: Install size ~250mb, I'm in love already

Last edited:

simpatico

Damn, you got me mate. You've convinced me it's worth the setup and teardown (probably 15 minutes of work per session) - the point you made about brown is what did me in.

I'm looking forward to this
This game is made by one dude. I love it when I see that skill still matters in the game industry. The demo sold me and I wanted to buy early to reward the guy. You'll grin every few minutes when he throws something thoughtful at ya. Sometimes it's joke, sometimes it's a level wrap around, sometimes it's just a well crafted combat room. The weapon loadout is great. Every major FPS gun type makes an appearance and they're all very good incarnations. Shotty has tasteful range.

I'll update when I play it. Maybe tonight, but like I said, it's an endeavor because I have an unorthodox loving arrangement (I live in a tiny house I built lol) and have 2 kids, so it may be a couple of days. If it is as good as dusk, I'll be a regular in this thread and will do my best to make it cozy.

Single person devs are the best and when they do it well those games have the most sovl

Tasteful shotty range is a blessing

M1chl

This game is made by one dude. I love it when I see that skill still matters in the game industry. The demo sold me and I wanted to buy early to reward the guy. You'll grin every few minutes when he throws something thoughtful at ya. Sometimes it's joke, sometimes it's a level wrap around, sometimes it's just a well crafted combat room. The weapon loadout is great. Every major FPS gun type makes an appearance and they're all very good incarnations. Shotty has tasteful range.
Well what sucks, is that locations in the game are often based on real places in Prague, CZ. And a lot stuff will be lost in translation. But obviously if you are enjoying it, you are enjoying it.

Awesome game. Works great on the Steam Deck too!

The game runs and looks good on Steam Deck, but I can't figure out how to rebind the controls to something more comfortable.

I'm wanting to change Jump to L2 (Left Trigger), Grenade to L1 (Left Bumper), and Kick to R1 (Right Bumper).
The in-game controller binds seem to only allow for pre-determined layouts. When I attempted to rebind L2 (Left Trigger) to the Spacebar via Big Picture Mode, it makes my character jump and throw a grenade at the same time whenever I press L2.

Is there a Steam Deck Layout, or at least some way to bind the controls? I'm thinking that I might just play this on PC with M+KB instead.

Kupfer

The game is fun, got a unique atmosphere and offers some good old school action. Played it a year ago when it wasn't finished yet and had a good time. Will probably give this a shot on the Steam Deck.

JC 1080P CRT JC 1080P CRT
Have you tried to assign the keys via the DeckOS? So far, I've been able to get every game to run reasonably controllable (except Crysis, which automatically prioritises an Xbox 360 controller profile and remapping the keyboard doesn't help). Especially for fast shooters like HROT, there's no way around gyro aiming.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Just tried the first two levels. Impressions so far:

>Love the aesthetics and level design. Quite treacherous at times too.

>Shooting is good, though i wish they sacked the occasional pistol reload animation.

>Good enemy variety so far, all unique and interesting in their own way

>Was initially a bit put-off by the amount of readable stuff, thinking the game would eventually pull out some immersive-sim like walls of text with lore dumps. However it remained minimal so far, being mostly easter eggs and jokes, which i'm fine with.

>As with most games made by one or a handful of dudes, you can feel the author's personality all throughout with the litlle details.

>Speaking of little details, theres an unnecessarily amazing amount of interactible stuff in the enviroment. Including one full working piano keyboard with three different tunes. I spent quite some time playing around with the pool table and its wonky physics.

>Still on the note of details, one thing i noticed playing these slav games (or mods) is that they are often excessive with the mechanics, probably implemented because author thought it was cool or funny. Like the kicking mechanic, or the driveable scooter. Not complaining, as long as its not something outrageous that breaks the game's pacing (like survival mechanics, or the "RPG levels" in in Ashes 2063), i think it adds to the charm.

Overall, first impressions are very good. Someone should try doing a "kick only" run.

Btw, who is Gustáv Husák and why can i kiss his frame in the game.

Last edited:
The game is fun, got a unique atmosphere and offers some good old school action. Played it a year ago when it wasn't finished yet and had a good time. Will probably give this a shot on the Steam Deck.

JC 1080P CRT JC 1080P CRT
Have you tried to assign the keys via the DeckOS? So far, I've been able to get every game to run reasonably controllable (except Crysis, which automatically prioritises an Xbox 360 controller profile and remapping the keyboard doesn't help). Especially for fast shooters like HROT, there's no way around gyro aiming.

Ah, thank you! That's definitely a good idea. I'll do that when I play it next time.

Finished the first level. It was a nice experience on hard, there were some really great high intensity segments. I didn't notice any music but I was playing with this going on the background, which made for some interesting vibes.

I'm playing on blank slate, because pistol starts make these games a lot more fun. If hard is too much for me to pistol start later on I will taper down to medium.

Overall, it's great. Looking forward to next time I can play.

M1chl

Just tried the first two levels. Impressions so far:

>Love the aesthetics and level design. Quite treacherous at times too.

>Shooting is good, though i wish they sacked the occasional pistol reload animation.

>Good enemy variety so far, all unique and interesting in their own way

>Was initially a bit put-off by the amount of readable stuff, thinking the game would eventually pull out some immersive-sim like walls of text with lore dumps. However it remained minimal so far, being mostly easter eggs and jokes, which i'm fine with.

>As with most games made by one or a handful of dudes, you can feel the author's personality all throughout with the litlle details.

>Speaking of little details, theres an unnecessarily amazing amount of interactible stuff in the enviroment. Including one full working piano keyboard with three different tunes. I spent quite some time playing around with the pool table and its wonky physics.

>Still on the note of details, one thing i noticed playing these slav games (or mods) is that they are often excessive with the mechanics, probably implemented because author thought it was cool or funny. Like the kicking mechanic, or the driveable scooter. Not complaining, as long as its not something outrageous that breaks the game's pacing (like survival mechanics, or the "RPG levels" in in Ashes 2063), i think it adds to the charm.

Overall, first impressions are very good. Someone should try doing a "kick only" run.

Btw, who is Gustáv Husák and why can i kiss his frame in the game.
It was president during Commie era here and the lore behind is that he loved to kiss his USSR buddies, here with Brežněv:
1522713.jpg

It is packed with Czech lore, which was unexpected to me.

drotahorror

This was never really on my radar due to the art style and I love the genre. Reading this thread has got me adding to my wishlist though. Sounds like it's amazing.

Neon Xenon

HROT caught my eye during its Early Access period for the Quake 1 vibes, and I stuck with it since. It's very Brown and confidently sticks with that aesthetic. I'm happy to play from the very start again all the way to the end.

I also like that you can press your Use key on most text to get an English translation.

Last edited:

Denton

Can't get over the fact that this game is made by a single guy who built his own engine in pascal of all things

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Reading comments about the level and encounter design makes me wanna buy. Half the time, thats where these retro shooters falter for me. That's what makes Quake etc. tick.
Yep, just beat episode 2 and despite the visuals each level would always feel as if it had its own identity. Game always keep encounters fresh too, with some 'surprises' and sparsed introduction of new enemies at key moments.
In fact, i checked and this has even more enemy/boss variety than DUSK (33 enemies and bosses vs 51), and thats despite HROT having less levels.

Last edited:
I ultimately decided to play this on PC instead of Steam Deck. Feels way more comfortable to me.

It's weird to think that I actually enjoy the dull browns and grays that seem to color the levels.
What I really enjoy though are all the things in levels you can interact with (drawers, radios, showers, a piano keyboard, and so on). Reminds me of Duke Nukem 3D in that regard, just without the quippy protagonist that goes along with it.

Top Bottom