• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

_SAKY_

Trying to find a good CRT on craigslist. What should I be searching for? People are dumb and just list stuff as like "old Sony TV" with few details, if any beyond the screen size so I feel kinda lost in trying to find any. There's a listing for a 36" Trinitron but the pics are shit.

I am in the same boat currently....looking for a Trinitron. You need to ask the sellers for the model number so you can lookup the weight of the TV and determine if you have a TV stand that support these behemoths. A 36 inch Trinitron will run from 225-275lbs. If you find something you like then you may want to check it out first and see what kind of condition the picture is in...among other things. All of the TVs i have found thus far have issues with color bleeding or geometry issue which can't be fixed from the service menus. I am using 240p test suite on an SD2SNES cart to check for problems in the image.

_SAKY_

You want Component (not Composite), and a non-HDTV / EDTV. They shouldn't be unless advertised though. Best is to ask for a photo of the back and and google the model number yourself. In any case you want to see it for yourself, to check if the screen has any damage or scratches. And you can discuss more about it, to know how it was used, where it was kept, etc.

EDTV crt would be good for Gamecube/og XB/Dreamcast/PS2 era games imho

EDIT: Component is a must.

Trying to find a good CRT on craigslist. What should I be searching for? People are dumb and just list stuff as like "old Sony TV" with few details, if any beyond the screen size so I feel kinda lost in trying to find any. There's a listing for a 36" Trinitron but the pics are shit.
All for a model number. If not, try Google. Otherwise keep looking.

Thanks for the replies, will take all into consideration :)

There seems to be a few decent ones around here, though I don't have enough details about them yet... guess I still feel like looking around some more just to make sure I get a good one.

As others have said, get the model number and then Google it. You'll get manuals and reviews from that. Look for component inputs. That gives you lots more options for connections. It should also have s-video if it has component. If it only has s-vid and composite, that's not bad. If it only has composite - avoid. Not worth it.

As others have said, get the model number and then Google it. You'll get manuals and reviews from that. Look for component inputs. That gives you lots more options for connections. It should also have s-video if it has component. If it only has s-vid and composite, that's not bad. If it only has composite - avoid. Not worth it.

Yeah screw composite lol. gf and I are hitting up some thrift stores and markets around the area tomorrow so I'm going to wait and see if I can find anything during that venture. May even be able to grab some games and consoles too with any luck.

If that falls through I'll start contacting craigslist folk.

Tain

MAMEDev decides to rename roms inside of romsets for the sake of organization, or roms that haven't been perfectly dumped get replaced with better dumps (and thus get a new checksum).

-KRS-

So I've moved into a new place, and need to get some bookcases for my games. But I'm debating whether to just have the games in regular Billy bookcases from Ikea out in the living room, or if I should get smaller bookcases so I could put them in one of the walk-in closets and have all my games in there. It's nice to have all my games displayed and visible since I like looking at them, but at the same time I don't want people to see a bunch of games the first thing they see when they walk into my living room. Not that I'm ashamed of it or anything. I'll still have my consoles hooked up in the living room. But still I don't want games to be the defining thing in the room. Also if I have them in the closet I would protect them from sun fading etc. Decisions, decisions. What do you guys think?

D.Lo

Game media in a walk in closet would be a dream for me. Then they're out of the sun so no sun damage! Right now I keep my games in darker corners of my place so they get no sun. Then again I live in Sydney so it's pretty sunny all year round, might not be an issue in many other places!

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
I use a walk-in closet for my games, but there are plenty of games and consoles in the living room too, sine all my consoles are hooked up there and all the games i play at the time also rest there.

-KRS-

Alright cheers guys! Yes I'm leaning towards having it in the closet.

Morfeo: What kind of shelving do you use? I was thinking those half-sized Billy bookcases, but they're 28cm deep and it actually might be a bit too deep for the closet since it's not the widest closet. I mean it would work but it might be a bit tight. Then again it's not like I would spend a lot of time in there usually.

lol

tumblr_o4rx37Oqg61uiyx6ko1_540.jpg

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/FW1...Nintendo-Games-Free-Shipping/32587625730.html

dubc35

Among many other things, what is the button below the d-pad? How is someone supposed to use the d-pad without pressing that button?

[McBain voice] Upon further inspection it is a clear button[/] ...wtf

gwailo

Banned
I really don't understand how someone managed to design this, create plastic injection molds for this ($$$$$), manufacture it, and (attempt) to sell it without realizing this was a terrible idea.

It's from Aliexpress. They're probably being made for pennies by people making a couple of dollars a day. There's a lot of manufacturing done in China that makes bullshit products that will never really sell in order to keep up the appearance that China's economy is strong and their population is well employed. Just browse their site or go into any Chinatown area and you'll see a whole range of stuff that will make you go WTF.

Yes Boss!

Prolly designed for vertical play like on an airplane or hotel. Cross betweem a remote and and a d-pad for simple play/navigation. I can see why it exists.

hey retroGAF,
i found this during my lunch break =) i never played it so i'm stoked.

Nicely done :) Next to Mega Man, Yakuza is my favourite game series ever. The original game has unfortunately aged after 10 odd years but the story is still brilliant. I played through the (as of now) Japan only remake of Yakuza 1 on the PS4 this year and the improvements they made to the game (notably the controls and combat) elevated the game so much, I really do hope they manage to release it over here one day, as its the far superior version of the game for sure.

Peltz

Been playing Paper Mario on N64 over the last few weeks and just got to Chapter 4. I don't know why it took so long for me to enjoy this game. I've had the cart for +10 years and never could get into it until now.

It's not mind blowing, but it's really fantastic and charming in a cozy comfort-food sort of way. The art style also looks amazing on the PVM via RGB.

Just an update on this. I am now in
Flower Fields
and really feel like this game is amazing. I really feel bad for dismissing it all these years.

It also has some of the best 240p graphics I've seen. I love the look of the flat sprites on the 3D environments, especially during cutscenes when the camera pans around or zooms in/out. There's something really special about this game.

And the battle system has gotten a bit more interesting as time goes on and your party gets bigger.

Eh... I tried to get into it this year too. Not my cup of tea. Those controls don't feel good.

Nicely done :) Next to Mega Man, Yakuza is my favourite game series ever. The original game has unfortunately aged after 10 odd years but the story is still brilliant. I played through the (as of now) Japan only remake of Yakuza 1 on the PS4 this year and the improvements they made to the game (notably the controls and combat) elevated the game so much, I really do hope they manage to release it over here one day, as its the far superior version of the game for sure.

i've only played yakuza starting from ps3 (3,4, dead souls and 5)i'm hoping i can bear the controls.

yes, i really hope it comes to the west! i got 0 on pre-order since day one =P

i've only played yakuza starting from ps3 (3,4, dead souls and 5)i'm hoping i can bear the controls.

If you've played the PS3 games you'll be fine, its mainly just the lock on being a bit crappier than newer games and the controls not being as refined. But the story and characters are (in my opinion) way better than in the later games - there are some real awesome baddies in this one and the soundtrack is brilliant (I think I still prefer it to the Kiwami remixed soundtrack).

I can't wait for the English version of 0 either, I've already completed the Japanese version and think its one of the best in the series, and I can't wait to get my import copy of 6 in a couple of months either!

This needs to be its own thread. All of GAF needs to weigh in. The meme potential is so strong. Please, someone do the honors. I'm a junior for one more month otherwise I'd do it.

"WTF, no analog triggers?"

"Looks like Nintendo's plan B for the NX"

"Is this a controller from Australia?"

So I've moved into a new place, and need to get some bookcases for my games. But I'm debating whether to just have the games in regular Billy bookcases from Ikea out in the living room, or if I should get smaller bookcases so I could put them in one of the walk-in closets and have all my games in there. It's nice to have all my games displayed and visible since I like looking at them, but at the same time I don't want people to see a bunch of games the first thing they see when they walk into my living room. Not that I'm ashamed of it or anything. I'll still have my consoles hooked up in the living room. But still I don't want games to be the defining thing in the room. Also if I have them in the closet I would protect them from sun fading etc. Decisions, decisions. What do you guys think?

This is why I greatly prefer drawers to shelves for storing games.

mrklaw

MrArseFace

I have one wall of my living room as Ikea Besta units, with a space in the middle for the TV. Everything except the PS4 and XB1 are hidden behind cupboard doors or in drawers - my receiver, Vita/3DS/WiiU corner, games etc. Tons of storage but it looks neat and tidy without everything on view.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Alright cheers guys! Yes I'm leaning towards having it in the closet.

Morfeo: What kind of shelving do you use? I was thinking those half-sized Billy bookcases, but they're 28cm deep and it actually might be a bit too deep for the closet since it's not the widest closet. I mean it would work but it might be a bit tight. Then again it's not like I would spend a lot of time in there usually.

The walk in closet actually already had shelves for socks and stuff, so Im just using that for the games. Eventually i want to build some better shelves in there though, but then im probably going for something custom to use the space better. I also often dont min stacing games outside of each others (like, PS2-games behind Snes-games) since that will save on space.

hey retroGAF,
i found this during my lunch break =) i never played it so i'm stoked.

Congrats on an awesome game! Played this back in 2007 or something like that and absolutely loved it, should be a fun ride.

eXistor

Game media in a walk in closet would be a dream for me. Then they're out of the sun so no sun damage! Right now I keep my games in darker corners of my place so they get no sun. Then again I live in Sydney so it's pretty sunny all year round, might not be an issue in many other places!

I have a few windows up in the 'ol games room, I just have the blinds down at all times and I put some UV protection on them just to be sure. Back in my old bedroom I used to have my dvd's in a shelf where the sunlight would shine all day (not even directly). All those DVD's are just completely drained of color...it hurts to even look at them. I couldn't stomach that happening to my games. I mean dvd's are kinda worthless, but my games...don't fuck with my games is what I'm saying. I don't care if you're the sun, I'm coming for you.

Same here. Closets, cupboards, and drawers.

Minimalism > clutter

Hell no, cool shit needs its place in the limelight. I've never understood the whole minimalism thing. Some people would be happiest in a white room with nothing but a chair and a VR headset I bet. Not me man, I sit proud amongst my stuff. But to each his own.

NDPsycho

Its ok to play, the story is ok (camera, especially in boss fights, is trash). 2 is so much better though. Controls are so improved playing 1 is painful if you dont start with it, so you're doing it right.

Olly88

Hell no, cool shit needs its place in the limelight. I've never understood the whole minimalism thing. Some people would be happiest in a white room with nothing but a chair and a VR headset I bet. Not me man, I sit proud amongst my stuff. But to each his own.

Yeah, as long as it's not just thrown in a pile I love seeing games being displayed. Shelves full of games look great, IMO.

So what is the best way to store and/or display old magazines? I have most of the first 50 issues of Nintendo Power now. I want to put them in typical upright magazine folios, but I'm also considering putting each one in plastic with a poster board backing. But then, that might be a bit much. Any thoughts or experience with this?

Top Bottom