• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Retro-GAF unite!

D.Lo

RayStorm's fine, it just sucks on the Saturn
Sucks on PS1 too, it's just not as good a game. I think I prefer the Saturn version too, the chunkiness makes it kind of consistent, wheras the PS1 version is cleaner but looks emptier? Can't remember it's been ages.

Fularu

Banned
Sucks on PS1 too, it's just not as good a game. I think I prefer the Saturn version too, the chunkiness makes it kind of consistent, wheras the PS1 version is cleaner but looks emptier? Can't remember it's been ages.

I own both versions and it's definitely better on PS (and I say that as a Sega fanboy).

Truth be told, Ray Storm isn't as fast paced/exciting to play as Ray Force, but it's still a great game on his own.

Now Ray Crisis....

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
I played Layer Section II on one of the Taito compilations, back when I actually gave compilations a chance. Wasn't impressed -- game was pretty dull. Felt like they were still in that period where the novelty of 3D was expected to save the day.

Joe Molotov

I went to Retropalooza this weekend (retro convention in the Dallas area) and picked up some Genny games.

1oSCEin.jpg

Spent a little more than I was comfortable with on Alisia Dragoon, but it was super-minty. Still got the registration card and everything.

I own both versions and it's definitely better on PS (and I say that as a Sega fanboy).

Truth be told, Ray Storm isn't as fast paced/exciting to play as Ray Force, but it's still a great game on his own.

Now Ray Crisis....
i agree, raystorm is good. especially the ps1 version. love the music too.

I went to Retropalooza this weekend (retro convention in the Dallas area) and picked up some Genny games.

1oSCEin.jpg

Spent a little more than I was comfortable with on Alisia Dragoon, but it was super-minty. Still got the registration card and everything.

Ooo Storm Lord!

Really enjoying Blaster Master Zero. Inticreates nailed it. The graphics and art style, color palate, music and controls are stellar. I could have used a little more difficulty but at least there are several boss battles in each area.

KyleCross

I'm trying to find a CRT. I'm turning up empty on Craig's List and local thrift stores, my local thrift stores haven't had a CRT in ages, I don't think they take them anymore. Prices on eBay are pretty damn high. I'm kicking myself for throwing out the CRT someone sat out some years back, but my situation didn't allow me to keep it.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically on eBay? All I ever hear about is Sony Trinitron's, which are high on eBay.

I'm trying to find a CRT. I'm turning up empty on Craig's List and local thrift stores, my local thrift stores haven't had a CRT in ages, I don't think they take them anymore. Prices on eBay are pretty damn high. I'm kicking myself for throwing out the CRT someone sat out some years back, but my situation didn't allow me to keep it.

Is there anything I should be looking for specifically on eBay? All I ever hear about is Sony Trinitron's, which are high on eBay.

How long have you been looking on CL? There’s bound to be something come up. People are still getting rid of them. If you have a comptuer or e-waste place near you, maybe call over there. It actually costs them to recycle those (they often charge a fee, unlike nearly all other items) so you might be able to take one off their hands.

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)

Look on letgo, I found one of mine there.

Also, this will hopefully help. Nobody will post model numbers on craigslist/letgo/etc. I was mainly looking for a <27" with component. You can easily decipher the models via the front panel.

In my quest to get a late model Sony FD Trinitron CRT (<27") with component, I gathered up these pictures to see what the models look like. It helped out tremendously when deciphering sparsely detailed craigslist and letgo postings. I stupidly ended up with 2 (20FS100, 20FS120), but one will be nice for a backup. The model # will be in the filename.

With component in

No component

I ran into a bunch of FV12s, with the FS100s right behind. It's especially difficult to find the smaller sizes with component.

Rirse

Neo Member
Has anyone from OSSC batch 2 (October release) got a email about them shipping yet? I am worried that I might get sent to the delayed 100 group.

Khaz

You can't rely on search on key words, sadly. People will offload them as tv, crt, old tube, a brand name, etc. the most often mentioned characteristic is the size, but you can't expect anything else, like connection description. It will often be wrong as people mix up composite and component.

Try to make the model with the front picture, after a while you will know the most common (and worthless). If one model is interesting, ask for a picture of the label so that you can google it. Don't expect people to accurately report a model number, there are several numbers and they have no idea what to look for.

Trinitron isn't the only technology worth it. Diamondtron is the equivalent tech by Mitsubishi, though I don't know if they made TVs with it. I only saw it in computer displays. Don't shy away from shadow mask tubes ( = normal, non-trinitron tube), They may have thicker scan lines and a different subpixel disposition, they have that distinct CRT look, more in line with what you have known in the 90s, and even the worse tube is miles better than a flat panel in regards to retro gaming.

dubc35

^ Good recommendations!

I would echo the search suggestions, if I'm looking on Craigslist (which I find myself doing for no reason because I won't be buying one lol), I only search for TV then refine with search titles only, has image, and max price of like $75 or something to try to cut out most HDTV's.

Also since you're not seeing many, don't go in thinking you must find the absolute best one on the first try. You may find a nice S-video one that will work great while keeping up on searches for a component input one.

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
I love the people that post pics of the set from multiple angles but none of them showing the inputs or model number. :lol

dubc35

I love the people that post pics of the set from multiple angles but none of them showing the inputs or model number. :lol

I suspect a lot people view them as junk so they don't even think to post model numbers (exhibit 4,328), but it's not limited to CRT TV's. I was looking for a table top a while back to cut up to use for end table tops. I rarely saw any listed that posted the dimensions of the table, perhaps useful information, lol!

Peltz

So does anyone here use Brook converters for their controllers? Do they tend to add lag?

I have a few converters from Raphnet Technologies and they are unbelievably fast (literally 1 ms of lag). But their selection of converters is limited.

I was wondering if Brook's stuff is as fast. Do competitive players use them? (not that I'm competitive, I'm just a lag snob).

So does anyone here use Brook converters for their controllers? Do they tend to add lag?

I have a few converters from Raphnet Technologies and they are unbelievably fast (literally 1 ms of lag). But their selection of converters is limited.

I was wondering if Brook's stuff is as fast. Do competitive players use them? (not that I'm competitive, I'm just a lag snob).

Brooks is the current go to for "professional" fighting game players. I don't personally have any but I've heard great things about them.

Anth0ny

Yes Brook is good, fighting game players use it for tournaments. I have a 360 -> PS4 one and it's perfect for SF5/Marvel Infinite.

Yeah I have a project planned to have munt hooked up via a midi-to-usb interface cause jesus finding a good condition MT-32 for a not insane price is not cool.

Peltz

1oSCEin.jpg

Alisia Dragoon is excellent and hard too.

Fularu

Banned
Let me guess, you didn't order a PSU? I saw a post saying they are suppose to get those in this week. I probably shouldn't had ordered one since I imagine it something I already have on hand but oh well.

No, I ordered the PSU and the remote too

Galdelico

RetroGAF, I could definitely use some help, here. :)

A friend of mine is going to sell (me, most likey) his Neo Geo Pocket Color - it's a Japanese NGPC, and a blue camouflage model - and we're both trying to figure out what to look at, in order to understand if it's still in good working conditions. We're both collectors, so everything looks immaculate from the outside. The system itself is CIB and it has been barely used.

A proper 'let's turn it on and see what's up' is going to happen later on today, so in the meanwhile I thought to check it out with you as well, to see if there are things to be especially aware of. For example, I remember an old post - here on GAF - stating there is one particular model with a supposedly better/shaper screen... Also - as a portable device on the whole - I don't know if it's more like a Game Boy (pretty much bullet-proof) or a Game Gear (as in, you basically know you have to crack it open and fix shit up, even if you buy one brand new).

Yeah, basically, any suggestion/advice will come hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance! ^_-

Peltz

A friend of mine is going to sell (me, most likey) his Neo Geo Pocket Color - it's a Japanese NGPC, and a blue camouflage model - and we're both trying to figure out what to look at, in order to understand if it's still in good working conditions. We're both collectors, so everything looks immaculate from the outside. The system itself is CIB and it has been barely used.

A proper 'let's turn it on and see what's up' is going to happen later on today, so in the meanwhile I thought to check it out with you as well, to see if there are things to be especially aware of. For example, I remember an old post - here on GAF - stating there is one particular model with a supposedly better/shaper screen... Also - as a portable device on the whole - I don't know if it's more like a Game Boy (pretty much bullet-proof) or a Game Gear (as in, you basically know you have to crack it open and fix shit up, even if you buy one brand new).

Yeah, basically, any suggestion/advice will come hugely appreciated. Thanks in advance! ^_-
Just test the buttons and stick and replace the internal clock battery. As far as I know, there are no hardware quirks or "bad" models. There is a slightly slimmer model though.

D.Lo

My write up on it.

The slim has a slightly sharper screen, but barely.

Galdelico

Awesome, thanks alot guys. And yeah, it was probably your post I remember, D.Lo (thank you for the link too, I just finished reading it up).

Other than that, any collectors' tip? Both me and my pal are pretty OCD with completeness, so we are trying to figure out if the system is 100% CIB: the box comes with a manual, a registration card and what it looks like a ticket for a visit to 'Neo Geo World'. There's only one in the box though, whereas we've seen a few auctions that show two of them bundled in.

I mean, that's pretty much ridiculous 'extra' stuff, but still, it would be really cool to find it out nonetheless.

Thanks again!

Peltz

Awesome, thanks alot guys. And yeah, it was probably your post I remember, D.Lo (thank you for the link too, I just finished reading it up).

Other than that, any collectors' tip? Both me and my pal are pretty OCD with completeness, so we are trying to figure out if the system is 100% CIB: the box comes with a manual, a registration card and what it looks like a ticket for a visit to 'Neo Geo World'. There's only one in the box though, whereas we've seen a few auctions that show two of them bundled in.

I mean, that's pretty much ridiculous 'extra' stuff, but still, it would be really cool to find it out nonetheless.

Thanks again!

I can check after work today. I bought a factory sealed one last year and kept all the packaging. It's the US model - so slightly thicker and apparently less contrast
DAMN!

Galdelico

Thanks! :)
Mine is a Japanese model though, so I believe the papers and all the extra crap is going to be different.

Edit - If the contrast never bothered you before, I assume it's fine even on the base model (at least if that's the only one you have seen/used).

Peltz

Thanks! :)
Mine is a Japanese model though, so I believe the papers and all the extra crap is going to be different.

Edit - If the contrast never bothered you before, I assume it's fine even on the base model (at least if that's the only one you have seen/used).

It has bothered me. Then again, any non-lit screen is going to suck.

D.Lo

It has bothered me. Then again, any non-lit screen is going to suck.
There is actually an internal contrast dial ;)

Be careful though it may screw up your system.

Honestly I'd say there is very little difference between the slim and fat screens, it may even just be my units individual calibration.

KyleCross

Thanks for the LetGo suggestions, hadn't heard about it before. Found some CRTs on there. CRTs with flat screens should be avoided, right? Found a Sony WEGA one.

Peltz

Thanks for the LetGo suggestions, hadn't heard about it before. Found some CRTs on there. CRTs with flat screens should be avoided, right? Found a Sony WEGA one.

It depends on your personal preference honestly. Flat ones tend to show bad geometry a bit more easily, but some people prefer a flatter screen because it's more modern.

Top Bottom