• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal, are you dipping or waiting?

vpance

It does look interesting but I can wait. Find myself not wanting to buy every game at launch price anymore in general.

i think most people will buy as the ps5 doesn’t really have any actual next gen games yet outside of darksouls (which is technically a remake)

Gotta dust it off now
PaJ9WJD.jpg
Damn son,

why dont you play Backwards compatible games then?? Thats what xbox consumers been buying there consoles for, and holding on to the dream that Phil will some day deliver them games.....

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
So it has persistence between deaths? Still uninterested. I have tried a bunch of roguelikes and roguelites but still for some reason the gameplay loops don't resonate with me.
yeah there is some items that carry over. anyway the fact that you dont need to fight bosses again is a plus.
i quit Hades when i lost to Hades

Phase

yeah there is some items that carry over. anyway the fact that you dont need to fight bosses again is a plus.
i quit Hades when i lost to Hades
I tried to really think of why I haven't enjoyed the ones I've played. I realized I don't feel satisfaction in many instances of progression (e.g. beating a boss with my now upgraded equipment). It's almost as getting further in the game is cheapened by making it easier.

I know this is how it is supposed to work in roguelites but that seems to be the main driver for my disinterest in the genre. In terms of regular roguelike's the gameplay would have to be phenomenal for me to want to start over every death, and for me there really hasn't been one where I loved the gameplay enough yet.

Last edited:
S

Shodan09

Unconfirmed Member
Definitely waiting. Might pick it up when it's dirt cheap at the end of the year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eh, I was very interested at first since it reminds me of Metroid Prime but then I learned about the hard-core game mechanics (roguelike elements I guess?) which put me off completely. Now I lost all interest 🙁

skit_data

Eh, I was very interested at first since it reminds me of Metroid Prime but then I learned about the hard-core game mechanics (roguelike elements I guess?) which put me off completely. Now I lost all interest 🙁
Its more Roguelite it seems. Anyway, I suspect its still easier than the Metroid Prime games (especially MP2 Echoes). Games back then were much more unforgiving, dying meant losing a lot of progress. These supposedly hard games are still much more forgiving by having permanent upgrades, shortcuts etc.

Your next run will be easier most of the time. In older games such as Metroid, it wasnt easier in any way.

chaseroni

If I didn't have so much to play I would be all over this...
But right now I just can't, gotta get through a bit more of the backlog before grabbing a 70$ release day 1.
I want to see this game succeed tho :/

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
Just pre ordered on Amazon.

It says estimated deliver May 18 - June 22.

LG8dYjw.jpg

Uh. Anyone else see that?

Maybe I should go Wally World.
Just be there when they open. I live in a fairly large city and my Walmart only gets 5-7 physical copies of games on launch day (outside of franchises like Madden, COD, etc).

BadBurger

Is 'That Pure Potato'
Early impressions seem good, so I'll probably dive in. It releasing on a Friday is also a motivator.

Its more Roguelite it seems. Anyway, I suspect its still easier than the Metroid Prime games (especially MP2 Echoes). Games back then were much more unforgiving, dying meant losing a lot of progress. These supposedly hard games are still much more forgiving by having permanent upgrades, shortcuts etc.

Your next run will be easier most of the time. In older games such as Metroid, it wasnt easier in any way.
I'll have to get a clear picture of just how frustrating it is. I don't mind hard games, I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne for example. I also love Metroid like I said, and I don't think it's hard really, or frustrating.

But if you lose all your stuff and a lot of progress each time you die? That just sounds insanely annoying, but maybe I've misunderstood exactly how Returnal works. Games being hard isn't an issue, but being frustrating are.. And they need to be sufficiently rewarding to play.

Last edited:

graywolf323

passing but only because I can't do horror, I'm still struggling to get through TLOU which is requiring me to take breaks to watch episodes of Scooby-Doo to unwind :messenger_squinting_tongue:

if this was my kind of game I'd be picking it up day 1

skit_data

I'll have to get a clear picture of just how frustrating it is. I don't mind hard games, I love Dark Souls and Bloodborne for example. I also love Metroid like I said, and I don't think it's hard really, or frustrating.

But if you lose all your stuff and a lot of progress each time you die? That just sounds insanely annoying, but maybe I've misunderstood exactly how Returnal works. Games being hard isn't an issue, but being frustrating are.. And they need to be sufficiently rewarding to play.
From what i can tell based on watching the previews, you keep permanent upgrades and tools, your choice of weapon will affect that specific weapons effectivity in a positive way in the next cycle. It also seems that you can create shortcuts to quicker get back to where you died.

I understand your concern though, I was skeptical to the roguelike aspect as well initially but from watching the previews, the game seem to have some elements that probably will make it a lot less frustrating than I initially feared.

From what i can tell based on watching the previews, you keep permanent upgrades and tools, your choice of weapon will affect that specific weapons effectivity in a positive way in the next cycle. It also seems that you can create shortcuts to quicker get back to where you died.

I understand your concern though, I was skeptical to the roguelike aspect as well initially but from watching the previews, the game seem to have some elements that probably will make it a lot less frustrating than I initially feared.
Yeah! One option would also be to just try it out to see if I like it, instead of whining 😁

I didn't think I would like Dark Souls or Demon's Souls either, but here we are so...

Tiamat2san

I’ll wait for reviews.
Depending on them, I’ll buy it sooner or later.
I am not totally convinced right now.
I need to know the game length, difficulty and replay value.

Top Bottom