• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal director Harry Krueger leaves Housemarque

skit_data

From the Gematsu article:
“During my 14 years at Housemarque, I’ve been incredibly fortunate to work on one dream project after another, and had the privilege of working alongside some truly talented and wonderful people along the way,” Krueger said in the announcement. “It’s been an honor to accompany Housemarque on this journey, witnessing our growth from our smaller arcade-inspired titles to the magnificent heights we reached with Returnal. We really shook the pillars of heaven together, and I will forever be proud of all the amazing things we’ve accomplished as a studio.” Kreuger continued, “Departing from Housemarque was a very difficult decision for me, but I’m leaving the company with nothing but deep gratitude for the past, and a glowing optimism for the future—with an exciting new project in the works, a fantastic team that’s stronger than ever, and the continuous support of Sony and PlayStation Studios, I know that Housemarque’s brightest chapter has yet to be written.”
Housemarque general manager and co-founder Ilari Kuittinen added, “Throughout Harry’s tenure, we’ve seen the ‘death of Arcade,’ and also achieved growth milestones we once only dreamed of. Harry’s passion and direction have been vital in sculpting our studio’s trajectory to the current scale. The rebirth of ‘Arcade,’ defined by Returnal, speaks volumes of his impact and vision, and is a great point for future leaders to take over and keep improving upon.”

Housemarque said it is gearing up for a “new big project” and “promising future ahead” as “the growing team will take forward to build the next best thing from Finland.”

Not good news IMO, I hope this isn't indicative of problems at the studio or a drastic shift away from what they are good at.

Edit: I managed to misspell his name, it's spelled Krueger and not Kreuger.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Nothing to do but speculate, but it was a little interesting how he mentions he got to work on dream project after dream project, and presided over the "death of the arcade" era. You could reasonably guess they are no longer going to make those kinds of games, especially since Returnal was already a bit of a departure from that and it still didn't sell well.

Guess we just wait and see.

tommib tommib post if you're okay

Last edited:

ChiefDada

Gold Member
The Office No GIF

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Nothing to do but speculate, but it was a little interesting how he mentions he got to work on dream project after dream project, and presided over the "death of the arcade" era. You could reasonably guess they are no longer going to make those kinds of games, especially since Returnal was already a bit of a departure from that and it still didn't sell well.

HM next game = open world ubisoft map with full icons 3rd person cinematic shooter

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Alienation was also very good. Sony probably mandating slow walk and chats and a diversity consultant for their next game.
I'm definitely wondering. I think they already had teased some kind of TPS when they were at rock bottom.

They were going to make Stormdivers, a Battle Royale.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
HM next game = open world ubisoft map with full icons 3rd person cinematic shooter

If that's the case, it should sell 10x better than Returnal. This studio keeps failing upwards, the opposite of the virtuous cycle that is taught by Jim Ryan.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I'm definitely wondering. I think they already had teased some kind of TPS when they were at rock bottom.

They were going to make Stormdivers, a Battle Royale.

Hopefully this guy got a juicy retention bonus and will go start over making arcade games

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Wonder where he's going to land? Quite a young guy, so I doubt he's leaving the industry.

Although I do seem to recall in various interviews him alluding to his work placing stress on his family, stress that no doubt would increase as Housemarque's status in the industry rises. Wish him all the best either way; Returnal was a tremendous piece of work -top to bottom.

Fbh

Damn that's a shame.
I'm not as big of a Returnal fan as many people here, but it was still a great game and the sort of different experience I'd like to see more from Sony first party. Hopefully future Housmarque projects don't suffer too much because of this.

Stig Asmussen was with Sony Santa Monica for 11 years before he left the studio.

The studio's next game was God of War 2018.

Stig went on to direct a major game franchise, meaning he has the rare experience to say he's headlined not one but two major game franchises in his career.

The reporting on the comings and goings of personnel is often used to create FUD. In some cases, it can be really bad and in other cases, it's just part of the process. People get new opportunities, especially if they're good at their jobs.

If you're a Game Director, you might be offered a job as a studio head. It's like saying the walls a falling because an offensive coordinator left for a head coaching job. And sometimes you leave for another offensive coordinator job because it makes more sense for your career.

I feel like Neogaf is too immature (general lack of life experience) to understand a lot of these things.

tommib

The worst news, man. Returnal is Harry Krueger.

The Housemarque/Krueger combo was one the few things to look forward to from PlayStation studios.

The poison cherry on top would be to know they’re working on an Horizon arcade shooter.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Unless its XBox. I get it
All depends how they depart, if there's bad blood it's more "fun" for us as readers.
There was a recent departure from Bethesda, was nothing "Holy shit! The end is coming!" (from me, at least lol).
People leave after they ship games all the time. Though that would be nothing new, the interesting thing is he is leaving at the same time as Pete. Wouldn't surprise me if more follow Pete.
Sometimes people get burnt out, or they get another better offer somewhere else, or they just want to try something different, it's not a big deal.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
How much did the game cost to develop? Unmitigated disaster? I'm not sure that that's true.

"I think by the time we shipped Returnal, we had just over 80 people internally, and there were just as many people, if not more, helping us through co-dev." - Krueger

I'm sorry, but if we can't agree that Returnal was a massive failure then we as humanity are doomed.

tommib

"I think by the time we shipped Returnal, we had just over 80 people internally, and there were just as many people, if not more, helping us through co-dev." - Krueger

I'm sorry, but if we can't agree that Returnal was a massive failure then we as humanity are doomed.
I think we are doomed because Returnal was a failure.

ungalo

Good gaming news happens every week. Its just that most of yall and the video game media hates to talk about positive things.
It's the way you see it and that's fine, i think for example the general mainstream opinion is that this year was incredible for video games. And i believe that video game media are more likely to indulge in excessive hype train.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Are we sure this is bad news? Maybe he wanted to do something else. Probably made bank when Sony bought the company and has the funds to enjoy life.

Unless they announce layoffs at Housemarque. Then he probably got fired.

SaucyJack

Stig Asmussen was with Sony Santa Monica for 11 years before he left the studio.

The studio's next game was God of War 2018.

Stig went on to direct a major game franchise, meaning he has the rare experience to say he's headlined not one but two major game franchises in his career.

The reporting on the comings and goings of personnel is often used to create FUD. In some cases, it can be really bad and in other cases, it's just part of the process. People get new opportunities, especially if they're good at their jobs.

If you're a Game Director, you might be offered a job as a studio head. It's like saying the walls a falling because an offensive coordinator left for a head coaching job. And sometimes you leave for another offensive coordinator job because it makes more sense for your career.

I feel like Neogaf is too immature (general lack of life experience) to understand a lot of these things.

This 👆

ReBurn

Gold Member
Really? There's a hundred reasons for people to change jobs that have nothing to do with getting fired.
Did you only read the second sentence of my comment? Or are you just looking for a reason to be upset?

I thought Jim Ryan's retirement was him looking to enjoy life. Until Sony started letting other executives go and doing layoffs in studios. Then it was clear he was being retired.

80 people and how long did it take to develop?

Let's say it took 4 years.

80 people in Finland. Let's assume they had 65 people year 1, 70 people year 2, 75 people year 3, and 80 people year 4 with an average salary of 65K dollars.

That would be about 18.8 million dollars. Let's round that up to 20 million dollars. Let's add an extra 5 million for advertising and publishing and porting to PC.

That's 25 million dollars.

Let's say the game sold at an average of 50 dollars and we know it sold 560K copies by July 2021.

That would have been 28* million dollars in less than a year. The game would almost certainly have broken even, even without the PC release, not to mention the gap filled on PS+.

There is a reason why Sony bought Housemarque AFTER Returnal launched. One the game was almost certainly a success (not an unmitigated failure) and they probably see the promise in potential in the studio to reach another level like they've done with many of their other studios.

Last edited:
Top Bottom