• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal falls to #15 in Week 2 | UK Boxed Charts

nemiroff

Gold Member
I'm curious, who is the psysical market representing anymore these days anyway? And what's the ratio towards digital. In my thinking services like Gamepass (boosting more people to go all-in on digital ditribution) and corona surely must make an impact on the demographics and people's habits.

The physical market is representing Switch and casual Playstation user. And those who need to post pictures of their game gets on social media.

Anyone else is buying digital.
That's 99%PC, 90% Xbox, Playstation hardcore User and even some Switch sales.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm curious, who is the psysical market representing anymore these days anyway? And what's the ratio towards digital. In my thinking services like Gamepass (boosting more people to go all-in on digital ditribution) and corona surely must make an impact on the demographics and people's habits.
I think for consoles, digital sales are now somewhere around 60% I'd estimate (but each major game company doing earnings reports will often say the disc/digital split). Depends on the platform and what the timing of the article you find too. But no doubt it's trending up.

games are not oscar bait movies, they’re meant to be a relief from everyday stuff

have you looked at the irl actress they facescanned? They purposefully chonkified the in game model by making jaws and chins wider.
Games can be whatever the hell they want. Having characters and design whose main focus isn't eye candy means it's oscar bait? That's a pretty dumb and limiting view that makes no sense, but whatever.

And what do I care what they did to achieve the kind of character they wanted for the game when it fits the tone and direction the game is going for?

Last edited:

Bodomism

Banned
New Pokemon Snap is performing beyond expectations. Truly a beautiful gem in this generation.

2021491257382_1.jpg

DForce

NaughtyDog Defense Force
Looks like bomba. How are you feeling inside today? Sad?

Bomba to who? This game has a much lower sales target than Sony's big title releases. If this game has around a 35 million budget, then selling over a million within the first year would be a success.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Bomba to who? This game has a much lower sales target than Sony's big title releases. If this game has around a 35 million budget, then selling over a million within the first year would be a success.
I'm sure it is very close to 1 million copies, if it hasn't surpassed it already.

What's really funny here is that his post wasn't unrelated Nintendo spam. The Tweet in OP mentions Pokemon Snap while this is also a general "UK Boxed Charts" thread. This is not a Returnal or Sony sales thread.
Yup, the tweet in OP says that Pokemon Snap is down only to second spot which mean that the game sold well in it's second week and he got banned 3 months just for saying that Pokemon Snap performed beyond expectations?? something is missing here.

Yup, the tweet in OP says that Pokemon Snap is down only to second spot which mean that the game sold well in it's second week and he got banned 3 months just for saying that Pokemon Snap performed beyond expectations?? something is missing here.

It's obviously due to his culmination of trolling

Speaking of which i'm pretty sure you're on your last legs too. Hope you've gotten better at controlling your urges lol

Last edited:
To be fair, we played the entirety of the original Metroid thinking we were controlling a typical 80s macho hero inside the suit. Instead, it was a woman with a weirdly male name of Samus.

let the ugly woman at planet Anthropos have their fun. I'm sure inside her there's a macho hero willing to come out.
Samus was always supposed to be attractive, even hot.

And that's boring, why do we want to play as a normal middle aged woman? Video games should be fun, they should be escapism.

What I see going on these days is a war on escapism, everything must be brought to a boring, banal reality, it's bullshit.

Far more female gamers think it's bullshit too than ones that don't by the way, the vast majority of female gamer want to play as sexy female characters, just like male gamers don't want to play as ugly men either, right now devs are listening to a very vocal minority of gamers who don't even buy games 99% of the time, they just whine about them.

And while I'm speaking personally here, when we're talking male characters I'm not talking macho muscle men, I like playing as the pretty boys of Castlevania because they look cool in their own way too, they look attractive, which is what a character who you're expected to inhabit for hours should be, attractive.

Uh god these comments are mond numbing ... its honestly pretty disheartening when peoples grip with the game is that the character doesn't have her tits out and isn't more attractive...anyhow again LOOK AT THE DIGITAL SALES!!! this game Ia doing fine... stop bitching about the price tag
Nobody's saying she has to have her tits out, but there's literally nothing with saying she should be more attractive.

Who in their right mind wants to spend hours playing a game as someone who is not attractive, male or female?

I guess they thought gamers weren't so vapid and instead mature enough to handle things beyond what 13 year old boys think is cool.

Guess they were wrong.
There's literally nothing wrong with making a game for 13 year old boys, the fact that we act like there is is sexist bullshit, what is wrong with being a 13 year old boy? What is wrong with making a game to appeal to them? The only reason someone would think it's a problem would be if they just inherently dislike young males, which makes them sexist.

There should be games made for a wide variety of tastes, it doesn't have to ALL be 13 year old boys, but what I see going on today is games made for only 1 type of taste and that's bullshit.

Games can be whatever the hell they want.
I agree and I'm glad to hear you say, but that's not how a place like ResetERA feels, they throw a shitfit if a character has a chest size larger than flat and a face more attractive than a CHUD, that's not letting games be whatever the hell they want.

The devs of Returnal were of course free to make whatever game they want, I'm just saying why I think the female character design is stupid and why I think it was a bad choice, but I'm not assembling a Twitter angry mob to try to get the game removed from store shelves, which is what the other side does, my attitude is let the market decide whether a game starring someone who looks like they clean gas station toilets can be a big success, but it's not something I'm going to waste my time or money, however that's not how the other side sees it, if they don't like something, they want no one else to have it either rather than just say "well, it's not for me" and just move on with their lives.

What's really funny here is that his post wasn't unrelated Nintendo spam. The Tweet in OP mentions Pokemon Snap while this is also a general "UK Boxed Charts" thread. This is not a Returnal or Sony sales thread.

They did warn him and he didn't listen.

UserPostGivenExpiresReason
@BodomismPostMay 11, 2021Aug 9, 2021You were warned about this yesterday. It clearly had no effect, so your ban length is also upgraded. This is your permanent ban notice.

Also it's something he has done in the past so the perm warning is to stop his behavior for good. With either him changing or leaving this site for good.

Last edited:

Derktron

Banned
Maybe just maybe they should have offset the game to other companies to make sure the game sells also................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... This is one of my predictions games like this will not see because of lack of enough consoles out in people's homes. This game looks unique so I hope the devs don't think it's a failure.

Gogo

Banned
The reality is that Sony first party games sell like shit compared to Nintendo ones

The last of us 2 sold less than Luigis Mansion 3 despite being half the price and getting released on to a larger install base

Last sales figures were 4 million if that helps

So between 4 million and 7.1 million (around Zelda Links Awakening)

That was 4 million in three days

I'm assuming you got that 7.1 million from gamstat, which is an estimated number from November last year, from a site we have no idea whether it's reliable or not, and on top of they themselves tell you not to try and extrapolate sales data from it

Basically you're reaching for the stars here

Last edited:

Gogo

Banned
That was 4 million in three days

I'm assuming you got that 7.1 million from gamstat, which is an estimated number from November last year, from a site we have no idea whether it's reliable or not, and on top of they themselves tell you not to try and extrapolate sales data from it

Basically you're reaching for the stars here
I'm going by the only figures we've got

if you've got anything better i'm all ears

I'm going by the only figures we've got

if you've got anything better i'm all ears

We know The Last of us Part 2 sold 4 million in three days

We know Luigi's Mansion sold 4 million in 2 months

There you go. Real official figures to compare

Last edited:
People shouldn't be surprised and the console warriors aren't doing much to convince me otherwise. I'm not paying $70 for a new game that doesn't have $70 worth of content on top of an overpriced console with no real games anyway. Those of you defending Sony should realize they'll never love you, they only want your money and then will be happy to throw you away because you aren't the right type of consumer.

People shouldn't be surprised and the console warriors aren't doing much to convince me otherwise. I'm not paying $70 for a new game that doesn't have $70 worth of content on top of an overpriced console with no real games anyway. Those of you defending Sony should realize they'll never love you, they only want your money and then will be happy to throw you away because you aren't the right type of consumer.

That sounds like a copy and paste paragraph for your ex-girlfriend lol

Last edited:

Derift

Samus was always supposed to be attractive, even hot.

And that's boring, why do we want to play as a normal middle aged woman? Video games should be fun, they should be escapism.

What I see going on these days is a war on escapism, everything must be brought to a boring, banal reality, it's bullshit.

Far more female gamers think it's bullshit too than ones that don't by the way, the vast majority of female gamer want to play as sexy female characters, just like male gamers don't want to play as ugly men either, right now devs are listening to a very vocal minority of gamers who don't even buy games 99% of the time, they just whine about them.

And while I'm speaking personally here, when we're talking male characters I'm not talking macho muscle men, I like playing as the pretty boys of Castlevania because they look cool in their own way too, they look attractive, which is what a character who you're expected to inhabit for hours should be, attractive.

Nobody's saying she has to have her tits out, but there's literally nothing with saying she should be more attractive.

Who in their right mind wants to spend hours playing a game as someone who is not attractive, male or female?

There's literally nothing wrong with making a game for 13 year old boys, the fact that we act like there is is sexist bullshit, what is wrong with being a 13 year old boy? What is wrong with making a game to appeal to them? The only reason someone would think it's a problem would be if they just inherently dislike young males, which makes them sexist.

There should be games made for a wide variety of tastes, it doesn't have to ALL be 13 year old boys, but what I see going on today is games made for only 1 type of taste and that's bullshit.

I agree and I'm glad to hear you say, but that's not how a place like ResetERA feels, they throw a shitfit if a character has a chest size larger than flat and a face more attractive than a CHUD, that's not letting games be whatever the hell they want.

The devs of Returnal were of course free to make whatever game they want, I'm just saying why I think the female character design is stupid and why I think it was a bad choice, but I'm not assembling a Twitter angry mob to try to get the game removed from store shelves, which is what the other side does, my attitude is let the market decide whether a game starring someone who looks like they clean gas station toilets can be a big success, but it's not something I'm going to waste my time or money, however that's not how the other side sees it, if they don't like something, they want no one else to have it either rather than just say "well, it's not for me" and just move on with their lives.
bruh we grew up playing mario...how unattractive can one get.... this is a piss poor excuse to not like a game

nbkicker

bruh we grew up playing mario...how unattractive can one get.... this is a piss poor excuse to not like a game
Would you play tomb raider if it was this character model used , i no a lot of gamers that where turned away from this game when it was first shown with the character and havnt bought the game because of it

nd that's boring, why do we want to play as a normal middle aged woman? Video games should be fun, they should be escapism.

Lots of sugar-coating for what is essentialy "I don't like something because I think it's an attack on me in this culture war I've decided is happening".

It's boring for you. Video games should be fun? Well, fun is a vague term and I don't think for everyone that what the main character looks like decides what's fun. Being hung up on how hot the main character seems to be the realm of a very select few. Retrunal is fun. And plenty of people could find playing a protagonist that we don't see a lot as fun or interesting. It's lame to think like you do that protagonist have to be one way.

You don't see a war on escapism. You see a war on the way you want things to be. Returnal is one game. There are no shortages of games featuring young and attractive people. You decide to single out Returnal because of some dumb "sjw pandering nonsense you read as being out there". Something that has nothing to do with the game and something that the game never pushes. Escapism also does not solely mean "play as hot characters", so constantly saying "I want escapism" means absolute shit and is a pointless phrase people like you think, has a point in these arguments. It just means "e tendency to seek distraction and relief from unpleasant realities, especially by seeking entertainment or engaging in fantasy", which does not preclude playing as a "confident older woman astronaut fighting shoot band aliens on Prometheus Cutlulu planet".That's entertainment and engaging in fantasy(i.e. something made up). Not everyone has to or wants to limit themselves to one type of material.

Far more female gamers think it's bullshit? Ok well I don't know what numbers you have, nor do I care as this really says nothing. Games are more popular than ever so plenty of people seem to be ok with games. Grand Theft Auto 5 is the most popular game ever and has some ugly old dudes as it's main characters. I think people just like playing games and plenty of people don't get hung up on "how hot the main character is" like GAF posters do. People like a variety of things and have different moods and like different things at different times.

Why? Why does she have to more attractive? What is more attractive? Who in their right mind wants to play a game as someone whose not attractive? Probably most people who don't give a shit? People who like good gameplay? People interested in something else? People interested in a different kind of experience? People who don't need eye candy in every game? People who understand the vibe and look this game is going for? You seem to think people want only one thing. Again GTAV, the most popular game ever features ugly dudes. But eh people understand what Rockstar is going for and that its not about "hot people do cool things". It's a crime game. Like Retrunal is a creepy hard sci-fi game.

And there's nothing wrong with making something that doesn't care about them. What's wrong with making a game that wouldn't appeal to them? Why do people like you constantly need to deride and attack games that feature different protagonists? Why do you need to constantly accuse them of the same sjw pandering shit? Why do posts about "how ugly" this normal-looking character has to show up in threads about this game?

Oh they should? Then why do you have a problem with this game? And you have to be blind as a bat if you think there's only 1 type of taste being pandered to. The only one full of bullshit here is you.

I don't care what Resetera thinks. Meanwhile, on GAF, they throw a shit fit anytime a game is seemingly "SJW PANDERING!!!" AKA features different types of characters. GAF literally is the reverse. It's amazing how many posters here care about how "hot characters are".

She doesn't look like she cleans toilets. She looks like a competent middle-aged professional who is an astronaut. The fact that you and others like you can't help but feel the need to insult the character like children means you don't believe the shit you said. The developers are free to make the game they want? Then why do you feel the need to talk about this "war on hot characters" or "this war on escapism" as you sugar coat it? When the only thing this game did was chose a character that fit its narrative. The answer is because you think when they do that they are making an affront to people like you. Sure you're not assembling an angry mob, but instead, you'll constantly peddle how games like this are attacking you and bad. Not wasting your time? Then why are you even talking about this game?

Derift

Would you play tomb raider if it was this character model used , i no a lot of gamers that where turned away from this game when it was first shown with the character and havnt bought the game because of it
yes i would... gameplay means more to me than how attractive the character looks... again its a piss poor reason to not pic up a game... honestly i cannot imagine a grown adult saying "ahh this game looks fun but shes not attractive enough for me to play the game" honestly its realy weird that peoples problem with the game is the attractivness of the character

Last edited:

ItsTheNew

I believe any game made before 1997 is "essentially cave man art."
I'm voting with my wallet and not supporting $70 dollar games. When the price drops I'll pick it up.

I'm sure it is very close to 1 million copies, if it hasn't surpassed it already.

Isnt the entire userbase of ps5 at around 8 million copies in total ? As in consoles sold so far ? Selling 1 million on an 8 million install base is not happening. Nowhere even close for a game like this. Its an indie-ish roguelite. Its not a game that sets the world on fire

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Isnt the entire userbase of ps5 at around 8 million copies in total ? As in consoles sold so far ? Selling 1 million on an 8 million install base is not happening. Nowhere even close for a game like this. Its an indie-ish roguelite. Its not a game that sets the world on fire
Why not? The 8 million PS5 users are hardcore fans who migrated to the new console ASAP. They'll buy games.

With just 1 day of sales in April (released on 30th), Returnal has sold more copies than Fifa, NBA, NFL, Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed, Spider-Man, etc. It is also already the second-best-selling game in the UK for the month of April (with just one day of sales), behind only Pokemon Snap on Nintendo Switch.

1 million copies isn't out of the realm of possibility.

Bramble

Thats how I feel. I wanted to buy it because I have a ps5 and nothing to play. I know though it is a title I will play for a hour or two and drop. It's niche and not my niche.

How do you know that? The gameplay is addictive as hell and 2 hours most likely doesn't even get you past the first biome.

nbkicker

yes i would... gameplay means more to me than how attractive the character looks... again its a piss poor reason to not pic up a game... honestly i cannot imagine a grown adult saying "ahh this game looks fun but shes not attractive enough for me to play the game" honestly its realy weird that peoples problem with the game is the attractivness of the character
Everyone is entitled to a opinion , im just saying i no people who didnt buy this game because of the face on the main character, some people can see this as wrong but everyone is entitled to there own views and opinions and spend there money how they wish

Top Bottom