• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal Review Thread (PS5)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
This logic I heard somewhere before...oh right, Hollywood and other places we can't discuss anymore. It's definitely a healthy outlook on life and grounded on logic.

It's also reductionist and dishonest, but we all know that you have zero arguments if you didn't set up your strawman.

My 'logic' is absolutely unassailable - or are you saying that there aren't dozens of other pieces of media that feature extremely attractive women (and men for that matter)?

Getting all whiny because Returnal's main character looks like Ripley instead of 2B is pretty pathetic, don't you think?

Last edited:

GHG

Shitting up the review thread for ten pages before the review embargo even lifts...

Animated GIF

Now imagine how bad it will be once the reviews drop.

Souls are harder than they should be due to the slow and clunky movement of the main protagonist. This game though should be as hard, harder, easier depending on your kind of skills. Demon's Souls is more strategic and this one needs more faster flexes and fast thinking.
Ok thanks

Rob_27

Looks OK, but I'm upstairs on 1080p non hdr screen. Oled downstairs. Supposed to be working you know ;-)

Will put it on the big one later.

Elog

Souls are harder than they should be due to the slow and clunky movement of the main protagonist. This game though should be as hard, harder, easier depending on your kind of skills. Demon's Souls is more strategic and this one needs more faster flexes and fast thinking.
We generally agree on most things Bo but here I must disagree with you :) What you call slow and clunky is inertia and mass, i.e a move takes a certain time to conduct and is not easy to interrupt randomly half-way through. In most games this is taken away since so many do not like it. However, it becomes a different very tactical combat when present since comitting to a move is suddenly a big thing (in other words - do not mash buttons).

Maybe that is what you meant but it is not harder than it needs to be, the Souls game are hard because combat is in ways more akin to RL. Personally I find strong pros and cons with both approaches but I hate when in PC FPSes direction means so little since you can spin 180 degrees on a dime when there is no intertia/mass and you use mouse as a control. It makes the gameplay much less thoughtful.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
We generally agree on most things Bo but here I must disagree with you :) What you call slow and clunky is inertia and mass, i.e a move takes a certain time to conduct and is not easy to interrupt randomly half-way through. In most games this is taken away since so many do not like it. However, it becomes a different very tactical combat when present since comitting to a move is suddenly a big thing (in other words - do not mash buttons).

Maybe that is what you meant but it is not harder than it needs to be, the Souls game are hard because combat is in ways more akin to RL. Personally I find strong pros and cons with both approaches but I hate when in PC FPSes direction means so little since you can spin 180 degrees on a dime when there is no intertia/mass and you use mouse as a control. It makes the gameplay much less thoughtful.

I hate to break it to you, but I totally agree here. This doesn't mean the ridiculous pacey movement in Returnal is realistic, also sword movement in games and films are usually too slow vs reality. In a fight you would swing your sword in a blink of an eye, but of course you don't have infinite stamina which will eventually slow you down.

Banjo64

cumsessed
Exactly the number I expected previously so far:

unknown.png

Fair fucking play on that prediction. I didn’t expect it to be as high as this despite thoroughly enjoying Resogun.

Did none of the reviews knock a few points off for the main character being a munter?

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fair fucking play on that prediction. I didn’t expect it to be as high as this despite thoroughly enjoying Resogun.

Did none of the reviews knock a few points off for the main character being a munter?

Had to fucking google it, mate! :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

Munter is a British insult for a person, often a woman, who is considered extremely ugly.

Last edited:

GHG

Well this turned out better than I expected.

Sounds like Hades + Risk of Rain + a substantial budget.

Will probably end up being my new weekend addiction.

TonyK

dude, can you imagine people saying they wouldn’t watch Alien back in 1980 because ripley had an ugly face from an artistic perspective? What the hell is this argument?
What? Sigourney Weaver is a real person, you can't apply my argument on that. I was speaking about the 3D art, the ingame model, not the real person. A more accurate example would be if they make an Alien game and they make a weird 3D model of Sigourney Weaver, that's my point. Same as with Control.
As I said, the live models they have used to make the Returnal or Control main characters are fine for me.

Top Bottom