• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal wins Best Game at the BAFTA Game Awards

Yes. But just note, the levels and enemy placement remain the same between deaths. Awesome game
So kinda like an old school beat em up with a unique death hook and legit challenge. Bought tonight.
Nhz9H0u.gif

edbrat

Wow a major games award aligns with my personal taste, so happy Housemarque is getting all of this recognition it's so well deserved. Returnal is a masterpiece and easily my GotY I just thought only a few of us would ever realise it's majesty.

Now to serve a few truckloads of crow to those individuals who clogged up the early Returnal threads with the whole "iTs juST tOo expurnsive" posts. Now you can see that you've been denying yourself a finely crafted gaming masterpiece all this time, well done.

Wow a major games award aligns with my personal taste, so happy Housemarque is getting all of this recognition it's so well deserved. Returnal is a masterpiece and easily my GotY I just thought only a few of us would ever realise it's majesty.

Now to serve a few truckloads of crow to those individuals who clogged up the early Returnal threads with the whole "iTs juST tOo expurnsive" posts. Now you can see that you've been denying yourself a finely crafted gaming masterpiece all this time, well done.
Just live life knowing that all that "to expensive" talk was just that talk. Trust me when I say, 69.99 is our new 59.99 like 49.99 was before it. No amount of nagging is changing that when actual quality is applied.

Psychostar

Just live life knowing that all that "to expensive" talk was just that talk. Trust me when I say, 69.99 is our new 59.99 like 49.99 was before it. No amount of nagging is changing that when actual quality is applied.
I'm not too sure you're looking at this fairly, especially when factoring in Digital vs Physical. We pay the same price regardless of whether we cut all the production line costs to own the games digitally - Those costs saved by bringing the product to you are being neglected at the disadvantage of us, the customer. We pay to lock the games onto our accounts with no re-sale value and it costs the company less to feed it to us ( as well as offloading the cost of after-market sales issues to the digital store).

I work in marketing as a product manager and have experience with physical and digital sales. I can hand on heart tell you that the consumer almost always pays more these last 5 fiscal years for what they are being fed and this trickles into every industry.

Take something as basic as ordering food for example. If you dine at the restaurant, there are many costs involved which play a factor into why the food item costs what it does on the menu. The reality of take-away and delivery is that you're purchasing that same product for significantly less work and investment to bring it to your doorstep - and often with an increase in cost due to "delivery" which is truly just offloading the cost of the third party delivery service onto the customer, when it should instead be taken as part of the costs of the marked item on the menu which ended up costing less to produce, plate and dispose of.

You might argue that games are more expensive to produce today, but this is also a grey area as most companies don't develop in-house engines anymore and instead rent the licence to use a lot of 'pick it out the box and it works - but tweak bits to satisfy your needs' objects and elements. This saves the developers a lot of time and challenges, and provides them a gateway into third-party support to reach resolutions faster in some situations.

This game cost 69.99 and you chuck it down to the price of quality today, but that argument is not balanced as not all games in that price range are equal in quality. If you check how many games run at that price, there are plenty of flops in that list too and some games clearly did not require the same level of involvement to produce, or even reproduce, especially in the case where they are sequels running off the same engines, with many shared assets). You would honestly believe that it is the cost of quality today?

Elden ring is doing well right now, and it was never sold at that price range, but Demon's souls still was until very recently I believe. Why is that?

I'm not dissing this game - Check my post history, I fucking love Returnal and it deserves it's spot in my opinion. I do think we need to wipe our lenses a little however.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Its awesome if you like HouseMarque games, dont be put off by dying lol
It's great even if you don't care for them, i'm the living proof of that, i don't even like the bullet hell genre...

You just need to like tps, that's it.

Last edited:

tommib

BTW, Returnal fans. The Vol. 2 of the game’s soundtrack was released today. It includes the cherished Hyperion track and all boss fight tracks:

Vol. 1 was mostly a stand-alone album with its own narrative that Bobby built using several soundscapes from the game. Vol. 2 is the full soundtrack as you hear it in the game.

Last edited:

tommib

I remember when Hellblade won the award and people made fun of it, because now Bafta gives video game awards, and is meaningless because what they know about video games. Now, the tables have turned and Bafta VGA is appreciated.
Hellblade didn’t win game of the year in 2017. What Remains of Edith Finch did. Hellblade won British Game of the Year.

A summary of BAFTA GOTY:

2004 Half-life 2
2006 Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter
2007 Bioshock
2008 Super Mario Galaxy
2009 Arkham Asylum
2010 Mass Effect 2
2011 Portal 2
2012 Dishonored
2013 The Last of Us
2014 Destiny
2015 Fallout 4
2016 Uncharted 4
2017 What Remains of Edith Finch
2018 God of War
2019 Outer Wilds
2020 Hades
2021 Returnal

The BAFTAs are arguably the most prestigious videogame awards so well done Returnal. It’s an instant action classic that deserves as much recognition as possible.

Last edited:

SLB1904

Banned
I remember when Hellblade won the award and people made fun of it, because now Bafta gives video game awards, and is meaningless because what they know about video games. Now, the tables have turned and Bafta VGA is appreciated.
Yeah remember people calling walking simulator and all that business. Good Times

ethomaz

Banned
It didn’t… so maybe you are not remembering right.

What Remains of Edith Finch was GOTY 2017 at BAFTA.

Last edited:
Regardless. No game should be $79.99 and $91 with tax at launch.

No thanks Sony. I don’t agree with your $10 increase. And when a game like that wins GOTY it just lets Sony know they can charge even more for their games.

Of course the game itself sold poorly so that sucks too.

Last edited:

ethomaz

Banned
Maybe the Hellblade team? What Remains of Edith Finch is a great game and no shame in placing runner up to it.
It won best game by a UK Studio (BAFTA is in UK so they have that regional award and to be fair they have few contenders every year) and some others technical awards I believe.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

Even if it that were true, why would people make fun of Hellblade winning the award back in 2018? That doesn't make any sense.

Last edited:

nowhat

Of course the game itself sold poorly so that sucks too.
I suppose you have a reference for this? Given the budget (Housemarque is hardly the largest studio out there) I'm pretty sure it has been a success for the studio. Far more so than something like Nex Machina (which is a travesty, but shit happens).

Thirty7ven

Banned
Best games of 2021 were Returnal, Hitman 3, Psychonauts 2. Maybe not enough people played these games and that's why your forgettable game of 2021 won it instead.

ethomaz

Banned
I just did a new check…

Hellblade never won GOTY at BAFKA so I don’t what the guy is talking about.

It won some technical achievements:

Artistic Achievement
Audio Achievement
British Game
Game Beyond Entertainment (that one fits a lot)
Performer (not exactly Hellblade but Melina Juergens)

Last edited:

FrankWza

Best games of 2021 were Returnal, Hitman 3, Psychonauts 2. Maybe not enough people played these games and that's why your forgettable game of 2021 won it instead.
Returnal will be played and discovered for years to come as more people are able to buy PS5s. The other 2 are multiplats and were available on a 100 million selling console.

Topher

Gold Member
How did everyone miss Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart winning Best Fur....uh...I mean.... the Technical Achievement Award?

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden

FrankWza

How did everyone miss Ratchet and Clank A Rift Apart winning Best Fur....uh...I mean.... the Technical Achievement Award?

Cbs Reaction GIF by The Late Late Show with James Corden
Brad Bird presented the award.
ending the incredibles GIF by Disney Pixar

Vaelka

All of these awards are pointless and severely biased in favor of specific types of games.
It's the most predictable thing ever.

tommib

All of these awards are pointless and severely biased in favor of specific types of games.
It's the most predictable thing ever.
None of these awards are meaningless. This is the industry voting on itself. It’s people who spend years of their life working on titles voting for different categories and bringing relevancy to titles that sometimes get under the radar. Returnal being tough as nails and dark and opressive might put some people off. This kind of award can make people look again and give it a chance.

I don’t understand how a Quake-inspired cosmic-horror rogue-like bullethell arcade/action game on Nightmare difficulty is “the most predictable game ever”.

Last edited:

yurinka

Well, I think best technical achievent and best animation for Ratchet were so well deserved. I think nobody talks about it because it wasn't a surprise. In technical achievement maybe Horizon 5 could also have won it, but for several reasons people think adventures deserve more the awards than racing games.

Three

2019 Outer Wilds
2020 Hades
2021 Returnal

The BAFTAs are arguably the most prestigious videogame awards so well done Returnal. It’s an instant action classic that deserves as much recognition as possible.
Outer Wilds won a Bafta? Is it good? I saw it on PS Now this month but haven't bothered to download it. Might give it a shot now.

8BiTw0LF

Banned
BTW, Returnal fans. The Vol. 2 of the game’s soundtrack was released today. It includes the cherished Hyperion track and all boss fight tracks:

Vol. 1 was mostly a stand-alone album with its own narrative that Bobby built using several soundscapes from the game. Vol. 2 is the full soundtrack as you hear it in the game.

Hope this get's a vinyl release. Skipped Vol.1 cause none of the good tracks were on it.

nowhat

Outer Wilds won a Bafta? Is it good?
Oh, it's soooo good. It just was released around the same time as Outer Worlds (which was not intentionally trying to mimic a larger release, just unfortunate timing), so I think it was neglected because those are easy to mess up.

But if you enjoy somewhat realistic space flight (within the confines of a video game, of course), some pretty hard sci-fi (again, with the video game exception) and an exceptional sound track, go to town. It's a time loop kind of game, but what an exceptional loop it is. The first time I experienced it my jaw was firmly glued to the floor.

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism

Mark Margolis Rage GIF by Breaking Bad

Top Bottom