• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Xbox Has an Unfortunate 10 Year Streak at The Game Awards

Pelta88

• Xbox has never won Game of the Year at The Game Awards and Xbox Game Studios has only had one game nominated for the prestigious award in its 10-year history.
  • Xbox's rivals PlayStation and Nintendo have multiple Game of the Year nominations and have games nominated for the 2023 award, while none of Xbox's published games made the cut.
  • Despite the lack of nominations for Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft's recent acquisitions, including Bethesda and Activision Blizzard King, may increase its chances of future nominations and potentially winning Game of the Year.
More at the source

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
And best believe I wont be giving MS/Xbox credit when some Bethesda/Activision game gets nominated eventually
hest.png

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Pentiment was my GOTY last year and Starfield is my top choice this year, but I will finalize that in 6 weeks. Hi-Fi Rush is near the top as well. I've never considered any Xbox 1st party game GOTY prior to the last 2 years, so I think they're heading in the right direction. Forza is in my top 10 this year, but not a GOTY candidate, but I'm enjoying it.

I think the only Sony game I ever personally considered GOTY was God of War in 2018. That got my vote. But I'm an outlier as I'm not really that into Naughty Dog stuff at all. I liked Spider Man 1 a lot, but it wasn't my GOTY or really in the running for me personally. Same with Ghost of Tsushima.

Nintendo has taken my GOTY a hell of a lot more than the rest for me personally.

I think all 3 first party line-ups are doing well, and they're all different - which I like.

Last edited:
tE5fwfE.png

Pentiment was my GOTY last year and Starfield is my top choice this year, but I will finalize that in 6 weeks. Hi-Fi Rush is near the top as well. I've never considered any Xbox 1st party game GOTY prior to the last 2 years, so I think they're heading in the right direction. Forza is in my top 10 this year, but not a GOTY candidate, but I'm enjoying it.

I think the only Sony game I ever personally considered GOTY was God of War in 2018. That got my vote. But I'm an outlier as I'm not really that into Naughty Dog stuff at all. I liked Spider Man 1 a lot, but it wasn't my GOTY or really in the running for me personally. Same with Ghost of Tsushima.

Nintendo has taken my GOTY a hell of a lot more than the rest for me personally.

I think all 3 first party line-ups are doing well, and they're all different - which I like.

I mean.. I don't dislike the Xbox. At all. I've been a fan pretty much since it's inception.

They haven't had a GOTY game in a very long time. They've released some awesome games that I've enjoyed just about every year and I do think they've improved quite a bit over the last few years especially, but they've not released anything that I just couldn't put down and/or think about a few months later.

Codes 208

I mean.. I don't dislike the Xbox. At all. I've been a fan pretty much since it's inception.

They haven't had a GOTY game in a very long time. They've released some awesome games that I've enjoyed just about every year and I do think they've improved quite a bit over the last few years especially, but they've not released anything that I just couldn't put down and/or think about a few months later.
Halo 4 i believe was their last nominee

Chastten

Banned
A lack of prestigious game awards has been the least of their problems in the last 10 years.

Even though I'm a big fan of the original Xbox and the 360, they've given me absolutely no reason to buy the One/S/X whatsoever

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Prestigious award?

Things that make you go hmmm…
Its a collection of around 100 journalists and industry people across the industry. They have almost never given the goty to a trash game. Worst game i can think of that got goty was overwatch over uncharted 4 in 2016 and overwatch was huge back then and u4 kinda sucked.

Since then zelda, gow, sekiro, tlou2, it takes two and elden ring have won the awards. Hardly hmmm worthy.

Mythoclast

Dial back your twitter level fanfiction conspiracies.
Just as there is a Nintendo and Sony bonus, there is a Microsoft penalty. Over the last 10 years they have released products that should at least be nominated.
At this point I don't now if American media outlets just hate American tech companies or what is the rationale.

Starfield is easily a better game as a whole than Spiderman 1.5 or Zelda.

Can you give us your 20 year GOTY history?

Are they all mostly niche or Japanese titles?

Last edited:

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Just as there is a Nintendo and Sony bonus, there is a Microsoft penalty. Over the last 10 years they have released products that should at least be nominated.
At this point I don't now if American media outlets just hate American tech companies or what is the rationale.

Starfield is easily a better game as a whole than Spiderman 1.5 or Zelda.
Well you see.....No.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
What's more likely? Keighley hating Xbox or Xbox having an abysmal output for a generation and a half now?
Blaming the GotY nominations on Keighley is just goofy. He set up the nomination and selection process to remove himself from the equation. That's cool, but I think he could use experts in some categories. That's why we get stupid stuff like people being nominated for best coach who didn't coach. I think having experts would tighten up the art and music nominations too, as those categories just seem based on game popularity as of now.

• Despite the lack of nominations for Xbox Game Studios, Microsoft's recent acquisitions, including Bethesda and Activision Blizzard King, may increase its chances of future nominations and potentially winning Game of the Year.
I mean...since their acquisition Bethesda have released Starfield, Redfall, Hi-Fi Rush, Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop. That's at least 5 games right there and no sign of them.
Activision is COD machine and not much more...unless something from Blizzard gets the job done...i don't see it.

Releasing lots of games and GOTY award nominated / winning games are two different things. But best of luck to them, for sure.

Beechos

Yikes people are pretty petty. Surely there's other big publishers out there besides sony and Nintendo who have never won a goty or maybe even had their games nominated that are doing pretty pretty well for themselves.

PanzerCute

The Game Awards has always been the Sony show.

Starfield is easily a better game as a whole than Spiderman 1.5 or Zelda
Yeah this is all a conspiracy!

Or Xbox have not released a single game that is worthy of a GOTY title since the first Halo.

Who knows?

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Blaming the GotY nominations on Keighley is just goofy. He set up the nomination and selection process to remove himself from the equation. That's cool, but I think he could use experts in some categories. That's why we get stupid stuff like people being nominated for best coach who didn't coach. I think having experts would tighten up the art and music nominations too, as those categories just seem based on game popularity as of now.
Yeah, the whole process is imperfect, but the upside is that it's currently at the level of other award shows - in terms of nominations. He has an opportunity to improve on that now.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Can you give us your 20 year GOTY history?
Why? So you can laugh at it?

I just skimmed bland lists of like 1000 games over the last 20 years so you can shit on it. Have fun. I'm sure I missed some, but this is my ultra fast and rushed guess of what I may have thought. Probably forgot some. My eyes are glazing over.

I did forget Gravity Rush in 2012. That gets my vote as well. Loved it.

2023: Starfield (so far)
2022: Pentiment (runner up Bayonetta 3)
2021: Metroid Dread (runner up The Ascent)
2020: Streets of Rage 4
2019: I don't think I even found one I would want to give GOTY for this year. I enjoyed Bloodstained. I didn't play Disco Elysium or Astral Chain yet so maybe one of those if I ever get around to it. I'd have to keep looking. It wasn't a great for me and gaming.
2018: God of War
2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Star Fox Zero / Guard (runner up Kirby: Planet Robobot)
2015: Splatoon (runner up MGS V)
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: Splinter Cell: Blacklist
2012: Gravity Rush (runner up Dragon's Dogma)
2011: Skyward Sword
2010: Mass Effect 2 (runner up Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
2009: Demon's Souls (runner FFXIII)
2008: Ninja Gaiden 2 (runner up Prince of Persia)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2006: Twilight Princess
2005: Resident Evil 4
2004: Ninja Gaiden
2003: Knights of the Old Republic
2002: Soul Calibur 2 (runner up Morrowind)
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2 (runner up FFX)
2000: FFIX (runner up THPS 2)
1999: Soul Reaver
1998: Ocarina of Time
1997: Goldeneye
1996: Mario 64
1995: Chrono Trigger
1994: Virtua Fighter 2 (arcade) (runner up FFVI)
1993: Mortal Kombat II (arcade)
1992: Streets of Rage 2
1991: A Link to the Past (runner up FFIV)
1990: Super Mario World (runner up F-Zero)
1989: Shadow Dancer
1988: Ninja Gaiden
1987: Contra
1986: Zelda
1985: Mario (runner up Duck Hunt)
1984: Still shitting my pants and learning to talk at this point. But even back then, I was dreaming of a Xbox future and just waiting for my moment.
1983: Crawling
1982: In the womb

Last edited:
The persecution complex is getting old. Tighten up.
Didn’t they just have two a couple years ago? Psychonauts and Deathloop? Sure they aren’t exclusives, but they are Xbox Game Studios games. Not that this is important in anyway, seems people here only care about TGA when it’s yet another chance to poopoo on Xbox 😆

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Why? So you can laugh at it?

I just skimmed bland lists of like 1000 games over the last 20 years so you can shit on it. Have fun. I'm sure I missed some, but this is my ultra fast and rushed guess of what I may have thought. Probably forgot some. My eyes are glazing over.

I did forget Gravity Rush in 2012. That gets my vote as well. Loved it.

2023: Starfield (so far)
2022: Pentiment
2021: Metroid Dread
2020: Streets of Rage 4
2019: I don't think I even found one I would want to give GOTY for this year. I enjoyed Bloodstained. I didn't play Disco Elysium or Astral Chain yet so maybe one of those if I ever get around to it. I'd have to keep looking. It wasn't a great for me and gaming.
2018: God of War
2017: Breath of the Wild
2016: Star Fox Zero / Guard (runner up Kirby: Planet Robobot)
2015: Splatoon (runner up MGS V)
2014: Bayonetta 2
2013: Splinter Cell: Blacklist
2012: Gravity Rush (runner up Dragon's Dogma)
2011: Skyward Sword
2010: Mass Effect 2 (runner up Castlevania Lords of Shadow)
2009: Demon's Souls (runner FFXIII)
2008: Ninja Gaiden 2 (runner up Prince of Persia)
2007: Super Mario Galaxy
2006: Twilight Princess
2005: Resident Evil 4
2004: Ninja Gaiden
2003: Knights of the Old Republic
2002: Soul Calibur 2 (runner up Morrowind)
2001: Metal Gear Solid 2 (runner up FFX)
2000: FFIX (runner up THPS 2)
1999: Soul Reaver
1998: Ocarina of Time
1997: Goldeneye
1996: Mario 64
1995: Chrono Trigger
1994: Final Fantasy 6 (runner up Donkey Kong Country)
1993: Starfox
1992: Streets of Rage 2
1991: A Link to the Past
1990: Super Mario World (runner up F-Zero)
1989: Shadow Dancer
Fail. Too much Nintendo. At least Streets of Rage is represented.

Top Bottom