• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Returnal's peak player count is 5642 on Steam!

rofif

Banned
You objectively have seen nothing within playing 15 hours. It takes ages to level up all weapon traits.

A weapon with 3 fully upgraded traits feels like the bfg on steroids. They make the starting guns feel pee shooters
Not really. The gauge is easy. Took me 25 hours to do everything on console and my buddy finished the whole thing on pc in one evening but he finished it on my ps5 before

Banned
Isn’t there #stutterstruggle™ or have they patched that?

without RT it has the same load stutters as PS5,
with RT on however it stutters seemingly randomly and never stops.

without RT tho even a 2060S runs it better than PS5 and it barely even needs a CPU it seems lol, given that his CPU sometimes only had 2% utilisation when the GPU was maxed.

so the issue really seems to just be raytracing. they said they're fixing it... let's see how long it takes.
if it is fixed then that 2060S might even push raytracing at 60fps without much issue as well

Last edited:

Fredrik

I bought it on PS5 but would like to play on PC also ... but damn. I can't pay that price again.
That’s the constant internal battle I have for all Sony’s first party games now.
Is it worth double dipping for another playthrough just to get slightly better visuals and performance?

This time however I actually didn’t pay for the PS5 version since I was sitting on the fence long enough for it to arrive on PS+. And there is no real story focus so having already played it isn’t making it less interesting.

Mods are starting to pop up too. I saw that there is already a save file management mod, that’s awesome. I only got through it on PS5 by using pause cycle and cloud save, no git gud gamer here. I imagine that character model mods will arrive soon as well.

Not really. The gauge is easy. Took me 25 hours to do everything on console and my buddy finished the whole thing on pc in one evening but he finished it on my ps5 before
What?? I'am talking about weapon traits like full auto for rocket laucher or portal beam for the hollow seeker.

To get these traits to level 3 you have to kill 100 enemies which take ages. If you want to fully upgrade all the traits for all the weapons it's impossible to do in 25 hours it's becomes a 100 hour game.

The level 3 traits are god like as well so for some they might be worth seeing.

TintoConCasera

I bought a sex doll, but I keep it inflated 100% of the time and use it like a regular wife
that's a rogue like dudes.

games with character progression are rogue LITEs because the og rogue didn't have saved character progression.
I always though all of them were rogueLITES unless they played like the original Rogue. That is, top-down view turn-based role playing game with permadeath.

Warnen

Don't pass gaas, it is your Destiny!
... are you comparing a PS5 game with AAA production values to $10 indies developed by a dozen people at most, and really asking why they'd charge more for the former?

When you put it like that…. Don’t blame me for there mistakes…

Happy Season 5 GIF by The Office

Chukhopops

that's a rogue like dudes.

games with character progression are rogue LITEs because the og rogue didn't have saved character progression.
It’s not about progression but variation between runs. In fact I’m not a big fan of games like Hades or Rogue Legacy where progress is linked to a grind for permanent upgrades.

For me there was just not enough of everything (rooms, enemies, weapons, artifacts) for runs not to feel same-ish after a couple hours.

Banned
It’s not about progression but variation between runs. In fact I’m not a big fan of games like Hades or Rogue Legacy where progress is linked to a grind for permanent upgrades.

For me there was just not enough of everything (rooms, enemies, weapons, artifacts) for runs not to feel same-ish after a couple hours.

That's the nature of procedural generation. I'm not a fan of that either usually tbh.
A game where you have 1 life but which is meticulously designed by hand would be way more up my alley.

But many people seem to like the replay value of random dungeons even tho they are just the same few room designs randomly rearranged every time

Last edited:

Filben

When most games in the same over saturated genre on pc are sub $10 you tell me why it’s is worth it….
This. Most people, especially on PC that is with low or mid tier hardware, don't want to pay for production value, they pay for fun first, then for content, and somewhere down on a long list for the production value. This is a clear trend when looking at reviews of all these game. Just look at how many people are playing Dwarf Fortress or Rimworld. The majority couldn't care less about top notch voice acting, directing, state of the art visuals. They appreciate all extra and premium feel, but it's not the priority and they won't pay for it unless it's a well-established brand and is not a niche game and is accessible for the broadest audience.

There's no denial a lot budget went into Returnal, but most of the PC crowd don't see these values as important when it comes to re-finance that financial effort with a high selling price.

Returnal looks like AAA game and probably cost as much to develop, but mechanically it's on par with games you get for 20 bucks and less, not including discounts. Some people are willing to spend more for that AAA feel, but not 60 EUR for a brand new IP in that genre.

Banned
I always though all of them were rogueLITES unless they played like the original Rogue. That is, top-down view turn-based role playing game with permadeath.

i guess you could be full purist and categorise them that way. Given how new these subgenres are it's often not made clear what a game specifically falls under.

But using rogue like only for games that would basically be clones of rogue imo goes a bit too far, given that we already have a word for games that are almost exactly like another game, which is, well, clone

Too much concerned people for a game they don't want to buy or dont like. The game is expensive that's true but it will sell when there are sales.
And opinion about woke bullshit is disgusting, that mean a game can't have an older person as MC or have mature theme? It always must be a villager that want to save the princess from the bad dragon...

The MC is not beautiful but she is like a normal person in her 40+ that has some mental trauma. Games with teenagers that saves the world is getting old.

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
Yup I saw that, it’s important for me even though I could eventually go through at least 3 biomes in one run. I’m forever impressed by those who finished the game before the cloud save trick was known 💪

Yep. They either young and have amazing reflexes OR they put in the time to master the game. Or both. I'm long past young and short on time.

Fredrik

Yep. They either young and have amazing reflexes OR they put in the time to master the game. Or both. I'm long past young and short on time.
Heh same here, I’m gray, the git gud days are long gone 😅 I’m proud enough to have gone through it using the save trick. I love the game though, with proper save rooms it would’ve been like a Metroid.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Not surprised. 99% of people who want to play this game already own a PS5. Who wants to wait years to play the best games?
Remember there's still alot of people not having access to a PlayStation 5.

You make it sound like there has not been a draught and stock problems.

Yet pc people didn't buy the "wow it's great it's exclusive" hype, because they don't care who made the game they just play.

SSfox

Nice work on Hermen for wasting brand's money on flopped PC ports instead of focusing on what stuffs that matters and made the PS brand strong as it is today.

Last edited:
Returnal did ok all things considered, you can’t just really on CCU. Number 8 behind 2 brand new, full priced games with their additional special editions attached to the charts and Destiny 2 Lightfall

Last edited:

FukuDaruma

and you know this why? cause a bunch of overexaggerated gamers with toaster pcs say it?
My 4080 says otherwise.

game runs smooth as fuck....its been confirmed rt is the culprit....
No, it doesn't. There are more stutters apart from the RT ones, which are the worst.

and even with rt is not half as bad as ppl say it is. it still runs and loosk better than the ps5 version in every single regard.
Yes, it is. Not, it doesn't. I played both.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Games like these has legs, by that I mean games for quick jump and have fun. It is always like this.

Top Bottom