• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reuters: Switch 2 willfeature a custom Nvidia chip, coming later this year

Status
Not open for further replies.

Draugoth

Gold Member
switch-console-grey-1440x842.jpg

Nintendo‘s next console will reportedly feature a custom Nvidia chip when it launches later this year.

That’s according to Reuters, which is reporting that the Japanese console giant will implement a custom Nvidia chip to power the new console.

According to a source with knowledge of Nvidia’s plans,

“Nintendo’s current Switch handheld console already includes Nvidia’s Tegra X1 chip.”

It continues:

“A new version of the Nintendo Switch console expected this year is likely to include a Nvidia custom design”.

Tf, there's basically no new info on this reuters report.

Nintendo's current Switch handheld console already includes Nvidia's Tegra X1 chip. A new version of the Switch console expected this year is likely to include a Nvidia custom design, one source said.

Nintendo declined to comment.

Last edited:
Everyone acting as if this was set in stone.. all we have a numerous self proclaimed insiders who "leak" stuff. Some of them somewhat credible, but still. Reuters reporting this adds a whole new level of credibility to the rumors.

CamHostage

Tf, there's basically no new info on this reuters report.

It's a source in the computer supplier market though, not some gamer geek reporter. That's a different type of leak than what GAFers usually get.

So many people jumped to the memes, but as you already know from spending 2 seconds of reading the actual article, Switch 2 is not the subject of the content, that's just a segment in the larger NVIDIA supplier outlook. The real headline of the article is, Nvidia pursues $30 billion custom chip opportunity with new unit, and the core subject is Nvidia's customers, which include OpenAI, Microsoft AI, Alphabet, and Meta Platforms; Nintendo is just fitted in the report as another client in the mix.

This didn't need to be posted in a gamer forum as it's not news specifically for us and doesn't have any new insight of how it'll play games, but this is a different angle on the subject.

Last edited:
It's a source in the computer supplier market though, not some gamer geek reporter. That's a different type of leak than what GAFers usually get.

So many people jumped to the memes, but as you already know from spending 2 seconds of reading the actual article, Switch 2 is not the subject of the content, that's just a segment in the larger NVIDIA supplier outlook. This didn't need to be posted in a gamer forum as it's not news specifically for us and doesn't have any new insight, but this is a different angle on the subject.
Well yes. I read the article and what I've quoted are the only relevant things with regards to Nintendo. My main issue is with OP taking that little bit of already known info and creating a frankly useless thread with no new details (the nvidia leak provided us with what kind of custom chip the Switch succesor will use).

And now since I'm responding to you, might as well tag Draugoth Draugoth here to please explain why this needs to be a thread in the first place, even if it's a 'different angle' as you put it there in your reply.

Edit: just look at the replies in this thread, they are all mostly low effort memes.

Last edited:

CamHostage

My main issue is with OP taking that little bit of already known info and creating a frankly useless thread with no new details (the nvidia leak provided us with what kind of custom chip the Switch succesor will use).
...just look at the replies in this thread, they are all mostly low effort memes.

Heh, can't blame the internet for being the internet...

Draugoth could have framed this better than just posting in full some other summarizer's article from VideoGamesChronicle (btw, hey man, thanks for the find from me, but if you're going to loot content, give some credit where you found it.) And some of the regular GAFers here who try to hold court as smartmarks should take the time to read the content before making fun of it. This thread isn't going well, and maybe could be edited to steer the convo better (or it could just fall off the front page if we have nothing else to post besides memes... don't know why people don't realize that all you're doing is bumping up a post you think is irrelevant for somebody else to get mad at,) but hey, time is free and the internet isn't going to hit a ceiling of too many posts.

What I find valuable in this Reuters piece is that NVIDIA is planning a comeback in custom chip supplying, after a decade of quiet, fallow progress in many markets it once was heavy in. (The Tegra product line went from boom to bust. ) The included Nintendo news is the least well-sourced content and had no insight, it probably should be downplayed in the post, but overall, there's something to get out of the news.

Last edited:

Shin-Ra

If it’s a big upgrade from Wii U and plays a much better looking version of TotK (hopefully 60fps) at native (built in) display res, that’ll make it a worthy upgrade for me.

If Switch 1 games like A Link to the Past Link’s Awakening play at a stable 60fps, all the more appealing.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

Likely...

Is this the state of journalism? It doesn't say anything. Nothing new. It's about as predictable as saying the sun will rise tomorrow.

Marvel14

Banned
Breaking news: it's the successor to the Nintendo Switch.

Super breaking News: it plays Nintendo games.

Stunning news: Mario, Zelda, Splatoon, Samuel Arran all expected to feature on it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom