• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will "likely be an iteration rather than a revolution" and launch at $400, according to a Tokyo-based game industry consultancy firm

Do still think it's basically the Switch Pro released serveral years later. With possibly a die shrink to a slightly better node for better battery life.

Right and when the Wii U came out and offered mostly Nintendo IPs (including the evergreen Mario Kart 8, the super popular in Japan Splatoon and also a new unique Mario, a new DK Country )--- how well did that work out for Nintendo?

Clearly handhelds are Nintendo's thing and are going to continue to do so.

BlackTron

Right and when the Wii U came out and offered mostly Nintendo IPs (including the evergreen Mario Kart 8, the super popular in Japan Splatoon and also a new unique 3d Mario, a new DK Country and an open world zelda in development )--- how well did that work out for Nintendo?

I never said that Nintendo games would support ANY piece of hardware. They can't release a Nintendo branded refrigerator that plays games on the front like a 1991 Tiger handheld. Duh.

The #1 USP of Switch hardware was simply not fucking itself and getting in the way of its own games anymore. This is the same as a square box packed with a controller would do. It went above and beyond with its USP by also being a hybrid system. But 90% of the strength of Switch hardware is in providing an attractive vehicle with which to get at Nintendo games. Without Nintendo games, that falls apart.

Last edited:

Tams

Man, I hope this is wrong. I was excited for a super powerful Nintendo Switch 2 that could potentially eat PlayStation's and Xbox's lunch a little bit.

What a trajectory so far though. We have come from "Switch 2 is playing FFVII Remake on PS5 graphics" to "It'll be an iteration rather than a revolution."

Why on Earth did you expect that?!

Woopah

Right and when the Wii U came out and offered mostly Nintendo IPs (including the evergreen Mario Kart 8, the super popular in Japan Splatoon and also a new unique 3d Mario, a new DK Country and an open world zelda in development )--- how well did that work out for Nintendo?
One of the major problems with the Wii U was a lack of Nintendo games, being too few and far between.

Switch didn't have this problem, and it shouldn't be one going forward now that Nintendo is only focusing on one ecosystem.
And you believe/d any of them? Lol.
Nothing in this article contradicts what was in the Gamescom reports and Nvidia leaks.

It will be between PS4 and PS5 in terms of output, helped by DLSS.

BlackTron

I think there's an impression it must be EITHER a "revolution" (perhaps mistaking complete redesign for power limitation) OR it won't compete with PS/XB much. I think that on paper, it will be much weaker than PS5. In real life application, it will be closing the gap and "good enough" for vast swaths not to sweat the difference too much. For example I think if you played Hogwarts Legacy on Switch 2, it wouldn't look like an entirely different nerfed game like the Switch 1 version. It will be the kind of difference the average user isn't going to notice unless it's in a comparison video or they have dozens of hours on both versions.

You already have PC gamers with real ass graphics cards accepting the Steam Deck.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
However this things turns out, one thing is absolutely certain: people will complain long and loud, starting 1 second after the first frame of the reveal.
It could be equivalent to a handheld PS5 Pro Plus, with a 8” 8K OLED screen and 24h battery life, full BC with free performance upgrades for all your games. People will still find reasons to shit on it, such as:
- it doesn’t launch with a new Zelda
- it launches with a new Zelda, but it’s open world
- it launches with a new Zelda, but it isn’t open world
- the controls look too big
- the controls look too small
- online still too expensive
- online has the full N64 catalogue, but someone will bitch that DS Mario 64 is the best version
- new Fire Emblem, too many waifus
- no new Fire Emblem, not enough waifus
- the color shade of the controllers sucks
- still no Geno in the new Smash Bros

Marvel14

Banned
Do still think it's basically the Switch Pro released serveral years later. With possibly a die shrink to a slightly better node for better battery life.

Clearly handhelds are Nintendo's thing and are going to continue to do so.

I never said that Nintendo games would support ANY piece of hardware. They can't release a Nintendo branded refrigerator that plays games on the front like a 1991 Tiger handheld. Duh.

The #1 USP of Switch hardware was simply not fucking itself and getting in the way of its own games anymore. This is the same as a square box packed with a controller would do. It went above and beyond with its USP by also being a hybrid system. But 90% of the strength of Switch hardware is in providing an attractive vehicle with which to get at Nintendo games. Without Nintendo games, that falls apart.
The point is that there are several variables that Nintendo need to calibrate and reductionist arguments that " it's just one thing" are off the mark.

If its just a more powerful Switch then its install base needs a reason to move to the new hardware. Now admittedly it might be that there's a power level where the New Switch can offer new and improved experiences beyond the current Switch that are worth the new investment that are below Steamdeck but I dont think that's compelling enough and risks being seen as low tech early on its lifecyle so i disagree with BlackTron BlackTron .

I strongly suspect that Nintendo will double down and expand on the hybrid seamless switching between home console and handheld with current AAA games on the go. This together with Nintendo's own IPs made the Switch the success it is.

So Steamdeck + is the most likely sweetspot to preserve that USP for a natural console life cycle of 5 years.

That still means unacceptably gimped versions of the really demanding games for the graphics illuminati but for everyone else it should mean lots of high end games playable and enjoyable in a portable format with some notable ommissions and sacrifices that your average gamer can live with.

Last edited:

BlackTron

The point is that there are several variables that Nintendo need to calibrate and reductionist arguments that " it's just one thing" are off the mark.

I agree, but IMO the first critical 90% of hardware success is simply NOT doing something dumbfuck with it, so the games can talk. Anything better than that is gravy.

If its just a more powerful Switch then its install base needs a reason to move to the new hardware.

Games?

Now admittedly it might be that there's a power level where the New Switch can offer new and improved experiences beyond the current Switch that are worth the new investment but I dont think thats compelling enough so i disagree with BlackTron BlackTron .

I strongly suspect that Nintendo will double down and expand on the hybrid seamless switching between home console and handheld and current AAA games on the go. This together with Nintendo's own IPs made the Switch the success it is.

So Steamdeck + is the most likely sweetspot to preserve that USP for a natural console life cycle of 5 years.

That still means unacceptably gimped versions of the really demanding games for the graphics illuminati but for everyone else it should mean lots of high end games playable and enjoyable in a portable format with some notable ommissions and sacrifices.

Well first you said if it's just an upgraded Switch, it's not compelling enough to upgrade...but then predict that is exactly what Nintendo will do and that it will be successful?

Confusion.

Marvel14

Banned
I agree, but IMO the first critical 90% of hardware success is simply NOT doing something dumbfuck with it, so the games can talk. Anything better than that is gravy.

Games?

Well first you said if it's just an upgraded Switch, it's not compelling enough to upgrade...but then predict that is exactly what Nintendo will do and that it will be successful?

Confusion.
For Games to be the system seller then all new Nintendo Games need to be new console exclusives. Don't think that will happen and there will be a crossgen period but if it does then I'll admit i was wrong.

Sorry I updated my post So that it makes more sense 🤔

Now admittedly it might be that there's a power level where the New Switch can offer new and improved experiences beyond the current Switch that are worth the new investment that are below Steamdeck but I dont think that's compelling enough and risks being seen as low tech early on its lifecyle so i disagree....

Last edited:

BlackTron

For Games to be the system seller then all new Nintendo Games need to be new console exclusives. Don't think that will happen and there will be a crossgen period but if it does then I'll admit i was wrong.

Sorry I updated my post So that it makes more sense 🤔

I originally wrote my post saying that if it was LITERALLY just a more powerful Switch, like a PS4 Pro, I'd agree. Same brand, same games. But I thought it was too ridiculous so I deleted it.

I think the "cross-gen period" will be normal Switch games still coming out in addition to next-gen exclusive titles. For example, Switch 1 still gets swansong games like Paper Mario TTYD, but you can play it on Switch 2 as well.

No way in hell the next mainline Mario and Zelda are playable on Switch 1. I can't see it. In fact I don't think they want to be constrained by its hardware limitations anymore anyway.

Edit: Somewhat like Game Boy Color or Advance coming out, they had their own new exclusive games you needed to buy the system for, but also played last-gen and those games didn't stop coming out overnight. But it's gonna be sloppy seconds from Nintendo at that point, not the new Zelda.

Last edited:

tr1p1ex

I think people won’t jump in as quickly. Basically with full BC it’s easy to find games to play/replay, perhaps even at higher fidelity, when console is launched.

But without it, people can wait. So sales for first couple years would be affected. Paying $400+ tax for a console with just 1 or 2 games you want is a lot bigger ask vs having a gigantic BC library.
Nah. People buy the new console for the new games.

Also realize most people wait no matter what. Every console only sells max of roughly ~20mn units in one year. Switch is almost 7 years old. ~90% of Switches sold were sold after the 1st year.

Given that this is already the longest Nintendo's gone without a new console... I think there's a good chance there won't be one. Maybe MP4 and a couple AA games... but I think those AA games have already been announced.

Mexen

I’m no industry expert.

It’s the one after the next that will be a revolution because this form factor still has some mileage left in it.

Even if they maintain the hybrid philosophy indefinitely, what we can only call the “Switch 3” now might be a wearable that wirelessly connects to a dock or smart television.
The point being that it is likely to be the one that is a departure from what we know today.

Dorfdad

Gold Member
I'm not a tech expert but when Switch came out it was using 2 year old components like the Tegra.

The new Switch will release over 2 years after the SteamDeck so.....
The chip they are using for the switch 2 was made like 4-5 years ago they are simple adopting it and changing a few things.

SiahWester

I'm a life long Nintendo fan, but the past few years I don't even think anything of Nintendo. The last Zelda was a real disappointment and Nintendo has become irrelevant outside of the classics. Now that the Steam Deck exists they just can't compete.

I was hoping Nintendo would either get into VR. Someone needs to deplatform Meta because that company cannot be allowed to take over the virtual world anymore than it has. Come on, Valve! Release the Deckard already!

Tg89

I'm a life long Nintendo fan, but the past few years I don't even think anything of Nintendo. The last Zelda was a real disappointment and Nintendo has become irrelevant outside of the classics. Now that the Steam Deck exists they just can't compete.

I was hoping Nintendo would either get into VR. Someone needs to deplatform Meta because that company cannot be allowed to take over the virtual world anymore than it has. Come on, Valve! Release the Deckard already!

Nah let Meta be the one wasting their time on VR in the infant stage. VR headsets are at least a decade a way from being worth putting on, don't waste the resources of actual decent companies on it.

Marvel14

Banned
Nah let Meta be the one wasting their time on VR in the infant stage. VR headsets are at least a decade a way from being worth putting on, don't waste the resources of actual decent companies on it.
Wish I remembered the name of the GAFFer who insisted VR "was already mainstream " when the Oculus 2 came out....

Tams

Lol. Steam Deck is like an accounting error compared to the Switch.

And Valve have released about two games in the last decade, neither new franchises.

Last edited:
I personally wouldn't mind Nintendo taking the iterative approach with the Switch 2, but I wonder if they'll will be hesitant to go that route considering how poorly it went with the Wii U. If they do, they'll need to do a much better job of marketing this time....the average consumer either didn't know the Wii U existed or didn't see enough of a difference to want to buy it.

Last edited:

Robb

Gold Member
If they do, they'll need to do a much better job of marketing this time
For sure but they’ve also been a lot more careful using the branding this time around. With Wii they just plastered it on everything. Wii Sports, Wii Sports Resort, Wii Music, Wii Fit, Wii Wheel, Wii Speak, Wii Zapper, Wii Balance Board etc. etc… No wonder people thought the Wii U was a peripheral/add-on.

I don’t think they’ll have that same problems with Switch 2.

Last edited:

Woopah

The chip they are using for the switch 2 was made like 4-5 years ago they are simple adopting it and changing a few things.
It is technically based on the T234, but if I understand correctly the T234 isn't really used for gaming. So the T239 will be quite different.
A new hardware for another random Mario game and no good exclusives does sound redundant. Nintendo being Nintendo.
What are you basing that on? We know nothing about its exclusive line up.

gamer82

for the love of god please this time make sure the eshop functions properly that is all i ask. it's a chore/ frustration to browse on the console and i just cant be botherd having to go on pc to browse through it and i don't buy digital as much. anything else is a bonus

Top Bottom