• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch 2 will "likely be an iteration rather than a revolution" and launch at $400, according to a Tokyo-based game industry consultancy firm

It's like saying, why would they increase the price of the digital and then bundle the standard with Spider-Man 2. These things aren't exclusionary.

If you are saying "Why didn't they raise the price of the standard?"... because the drive doesn't cost that much. It's like $20 max. The price hike was aimed at cutting the losses of the DE at the expense of pushing digital only.

The bundle was likely just a holiday promotion agreed to years ago. Now that Christmas is over, I'd expect the bundle to be just a while supplies last thing.

//DEVIL//

As long as they don't do the Xbox series S mistake and force the game to come to Switch 1 when technically its not possible.

I mean.. a quick look at the current release of 3rd party Switch 1 games is pretty telling.

I also do not want games to look like shit but upscaled because the game is on the Switch 1 either.

I just want the Switch 2 to be completely new unit with its own games + backward compatibility ( which is given since they still using Nvidia )

plotting episode 4 GIF

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
I think it's likely based on the canned Switch Pro that was leaked. Maybe with some tweaks and improvements. I think they just saw the inventory problems that were happening and decided to hold off.

Sintoid

I would imagine so too, but it shows that it's not only the hardcore who want to upgrade.
If you compare the total sales of Switch base to the Oled model (that could be new users + upgrades) that shows a really low attach rate to the upgrades

I can assume that a lot of people use Switch docked and don't feel the urge to update for that price, we'll see if they will pay 100-120$ more for the new specs but I keep a strong doubt

Woopah

If you compare the total sales of Switch base to the Oled model (that could be new users + upgrades) that shows a really low attach rate to the upgrades

I can assume that a lot of people use Switch docked and don't feel the urge to update for that price, we'll see if they will pay 100-120$ more for the new specs but I keep a strong doubt
It was a 52% attach rate in last fiscal year and its at a 69% attach rate in the current fiscal year.

That's not "really low".

Woopah

Just to see how it appeals to upgrade to "casual" audience like you suggested
And we are able to judge its appeal to the wide audience from it's high sales ratio since launch. The fact that it had a 0% attach rate in the years before it came out tells us nothing.

We have to measure the products sales since launch.

Last edited:

RoboFu

One of the green rats
And here I was hoping for a butt plug that measures how tense you are while playing Luigi’s mansion 4. 😢

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Is the screen on Oled switch plastic like original switch?
That totk switch looks INSANELY good and I never had a nintendo console after nes.
Though at this point, it's smarter to wait for switch 2 and play these games in bc mode

tr1p1ex

only way they launch at $400 is if inflation means that is the new normal. Or they have a really great value proposition at that pricepoint.

Or have the disease the console sales leader tends to get - hubris.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
only way they launch at $400 is if inflation means that is the new normal. Or they have a really great value proposition at that pricepoint.

Or have the disease the console sales leader tends to get - hubris.
is 400 supposed to be a lot?
that's how much switch oled costs...

Golgo 13

The Man With The Golden Dong
the industry has changed, the landscape of portable consoles is not the same, but we all know that nintendo doesnt care about that and will do whatever they fuck they want.

there is no analyst that can analyse nintendo.
Spot on. Just like before the "Switch" was announced officially, speculation was rampant - and NO ONE, no one was right. This is all just guessing at this point. Truth is, Nintendo's wall of secrecy is the best in the industry, and no one except Nintendo knows what's in store for their next hardware.

tr1p1ex

is 400 supposed to be a lot?
that's how much switch oled costs...
oled is $350. $400 seems high for Nintendo. That would be the price that gets echoed to every corner of the internet.

But most everything is more expensive now.

Last edited:

Woopah

Spot on. Just like before the "Switch" was announced officially, speculation was rampant - and NO ONE, no one was right. This is all just guessing at this point. Truth is, Nintendo's wall of secrecy is the best in the industry, and no one except Nintendo knows what's in store for their next hardware.
Eurogamer got quite a few details right. I'm expecting similar Switch 2 leaks in the coming weeks.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
The price is reasonable given what you're probably going to get and I've never had a gripe with $70 games. I had a conversation about 'Switch 2' with my wife based on the thread about which business quarter they'd likely drop early promos in about: the potentially good vs. bad.

Potentially good: would be an iteration of the existing Switch. Last thing I want and likely many others if their second console isn't a PC (as it is for me) is another console which simply plugs into a monitor or TV. The idea they had to take the popularity of their handhelds and combine it with those who liked a console experience was spot on. We're also looking at a now 8-year old console which is still incredibly popular. Well, the OLED model proved they hit yet another niche in the market which otherwise may not have purchased the OG Switch or Lite models. Possibly OP suggested in another thread ( Thick Thighs Save Lives Thick Thighs Save Lives correct me if I'm wrong) that expanding the screen size would actually be something buyers would prefer, rather than having something bulky idealized to stick in a pant pocket. So success of an iteration would be: slightly improved graphics acceleration, OLED default screen, larger screen (foldable is floating around with fan art but would likely be too expensive if we're targeting $400), backwards compatibility, at last 500Gigs internal memory with expansion option, fix bugs, fix the battery death issue and of course...keep the concept of joycons but don't ever repeat that mistake again. Learn from 3rd party control producers how to make a proper control. Then...$400 easy.

Bad/failure: Lean hard into digital over physical (doubt this will happen with Nintendo...ever), produce another shovel ware beast (live and learn the 'what not to do' from Wii & WiiU), no b/c, joycons...again, handheld only with optional dock (or vice versa which would just be a WiiU) or throw something tacky on like the 3D filter on the first model 3DS with its hologram slider.

It's much easier to win at this than to fail. They have all the data they need to make this next step and have had enough time.

Bad/failure: Lean hard into digital over physical (doubt this will happen with Nintendo...ever),

I do think they will push digital... although not to the point that Sony and MS have.

handheld only with optional dock (or vice versa which would just be a WiiU)

That's what the Lite is... and you don't even get the option for the dock.

It still is $400 for PS4 level hardware.

Steam Deck OLED starts at $549... and most (?) of the other handhelds are more than that.

Rat Rage

Wow, this guy is so smart! GAF: we should band together and create a consultant firm. We can also just throw out stupid speculation!

Well, his speculation isn't stupid at all. I, however, do wonder how anyone can actually make a living by spouting something so painfully obvious, too. OF COURSE, given Nintendo's history of hardware and marketing failures in the past - as well as them clearly having shown that they were able to learn from their mistakes with the whole Switch situation - the only painfully abvious thing regarding their Switch successor is NOT to deviate from the Switch's main concept and the "Switch" name.

Obviously, the next Switch will be an iteration of the Switch (hybrid console, good price point, detachable motion controllers). It won't be a radically different concept. It's gonna be the equivalent to what the PS2 was to the PS1 - bigger, better, but conceptually more of the same (which was a good thing).

Sentenza

After few replies I started skipping the answers so I'm not sure if this has been stressed enough already, but just to be clear: this is all guesswork from this firm. They don't have any "insider knowledge".

Alphagear

isnt PS5 U$ 449 ? y should i be OK with a U$ 400 PS4 ?

Cause it’s Nintendo. They even got away with selling cardboard.

The same people will complain the PS5 and PS5 pro are too expensive and need a price drop.

I doubt it will on par with a PS4 since the Steamdeck is on par with a PS4.

Nintendo ain’t releasing a Steamdeck spec handheld for 400 dollars.

They love releasing underpowered consoles which make profits even at launch.

Top Bottom