• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ricky Williams to retire? WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cloudy

Banned
lmao

But the dude is like 27. Shit though, can you blame him? Why beat yourself up more when you're as loaded as he is?

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.
WTF WTF WTF what a weirdo

HAOHMARU

For real? Well, what does he have now...2 positive drug tests? Maybe that has something to do with it? I guess he likes dope more than playing football. Good ridance...

Fifty

ESPN's Dan Le Batard reports.

Let's see if the BATARD is correct. Are Miami fans going to be on suicide watch tomorrow??

ShadowRed

Banned
HAOHMARU said:
For real? Well, what does he have now...2 positive drug tests? Maybe that has something to do with it? I guess he likes dope more than playing football. Good ridance...

Don't you get kicked from the league on your third positive? Maybe he agreed to retire for a year rather then get bounced for failing his test.

Fifty

Well they have some great recievers, and a very good TE. Their QB situation isn't that hot. This is a major blow for them.

Matlock

Banned
This news comes right after he was found out in Girls Gone Wild: Doggy Style...interesting.

ricky.jpg

ShadowRed

Banned
On the up side that's one super back we won't have to worry about in ESPN football, as soon as the ne rosters are released. Or maybe he's going to work for Ditka's campaign.

impirius

He's obviously retiring to focus on his marriage to Mike Ditka

Looks like I'll be putting my Dolphins-crazy friend on 24-hour suicide watch..

Matlock

Banned
Go go news.google.com and go around that way. Works perfectly. Just search for Ricky Williams, it's easy to find. :p

Matrix

LeBron loves his girlfriend. There is no other woman in the world he’d rather have. The problem is, Dwyane’s not a woman.

Odoul

Why couldn't he have done this earlier to allow the team to find a replacement? IF it's true that is low. It's also the exact reason one of Detroit's icons(Sanders) is still hated by a lotta peeps here. People talk about the Lions being nothing before or after him, but he waited until the DAY before training camp. The coach called him for months trying to get an answer and he did it on purpose. He hated Ross and wanted to fuck the team as much as possible. Fuck BSanders. Again IF this is true Miami is completely fucked.

Bat

Chesapeake Silt said:
So basically.... he retired so he could become a full-time pothead.

THAT'S AWESOME.

Haha...exactly.

This is majorly wtf, though he did have a poor season last year.

Also, how could he do this before seeing how good he could be without the 30 pounds of dreads he just shaved off?

Fifty

and finally told an angry, crushed Dave Wannstedt on Friday night

Ya think?! Poor Wannstedt. The Finns are my second favourite team...Seeing them falter every year (Not Dave's fault) and now having to start camp with Ricky gone. Man oh man that's tough. I agree with Odoul 100% Could they have signed George if they had known sooner?!

The guy calls himself a role model but he gets busted on dope charges and now he wants to go to Jamaica? I'm not sure if that's a good role model.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Holy SHIT.

Dude took a fucking beating last year, though...he almost tied the record for carries in a season and the offensive line in front of him was damned shitty (Anybody watch that Buffalo monday night game? He had more than forty carries and was the only thing the offense had going even remotely right)

He still could've been one of the top backs in the league. Its not that often that you see somebody so close to the prime of their career and still able to play retire.

edit: Also, good damn are the Dolphins going to suck this year or what? Even George could have been a decent enough replacement to keep the running game servicable, but he got picked up by Dallas (and Parcells didn't even want him...go figure)

Now they're stuck with virtually no QB, literally no RB, and a star wideout who may or may not go into the Incredible Hulk mode and build enough muscle so that his legs don't properly work anymore.

Travis Minor is going to be the starting back in Miami this year...all of a sudden I can't feel so bad about Duce Staley*

*fuck Duce Staley

DJ_Tet

Banned
I called this about 8 years ago. There were rumblings of Terrell Brandon hanging them up a couple of years after signing a huge contract (it's true kiddies, TB once was considered a potential "great" player before many injuries). I told my friend at the time there would be someone who didn't "love" the game, and would hang them up early, in his prime.

I'm just as shocked as everyone else, but really we shouldn't be shocked. There are players making millions of dollars a year that HATE their job. It really was only a matter of time before someone just bolted and took his $30 million and went to do what could make him happy.

It will probably happen again sooner rather than later. These guys just make WAY too much jack.

Bog

Junior Ace
Archaix said:
Travis Minor is going to be the starting back in Miami this year...all of a sudden I can't feel so bad about Duce Staley

Actually, I think Minor might surprise some people.

Cloudy

Banned
These guys just make WAY too much jack.

Would you prefer the NFL and the owners to get all the profit? And it's not like he'll be paid for the rest of his contract so what's the big deal. I'd do the same thing if I was a filthy rich football player who didn't really care about records and shit...

The Dolphins sucking is exactly what they need, I think. They've had so many 8-8, 9-7, 10-6 teams over the past two decades and everyone gets suckered into thinking they're only a player or two away from breaking through. With Ricky gone they need to trim payroll and start anew. Get rid of Madison, who is overrated and getting old, trade Ogunleye or just let him go, and start Feeley for the whole year to see if he's any good.

Oh, and fire Wanny of course. Worst coach in the league.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
This does not surprise me.. when he was at Texas he allways said he just wanted to make some money in the NFL for a few years and then retire and be an elementary school teacher... when he said he would retire relatively young, I assumed that means 3 or 4 years from now though.

That's what I'd do too, retire early. He's already got a bunch of money, and he took an absolute beating last year running almost 400 times behind a terrible o-line. The guy is obviously uncomfortable with having to be the man, and in Miami that's his role. He probably wants to get high and enjoy life for a while. Eventually he may want back in, but there probably won't be many suitors at that point.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
ShadowRed said:
Don't you get kicked from the league on your third positive? Maybe he agreed to retire for a year rather then get bounced for failing his test.

I think this sound like the most likely situation. Kinda like Jordans year and a half of from basketball.

StoOgE

Truelize said:
I think this sound like the most likely situation. Kinda like Jordans year and a half of from basketball.

I think if this is the case (it could be), we wont see Ricky coming back.. I think he will just call it quits for good.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Cloudy said:
Would you prefer the NFL and the owners to get all the profit? And it's not like he'll be paid for the rest of his contract so what's the big deal. I'd do the same thing if I was a filthy rich football player who didn't really care about records and shit...

Way to put words in my mouth, I was gonna put a disclaimer but I didn't think a sports regular would call me on it. I don't think the owners should take the money, I think that tv contracts and sporting event tickets are way out of league.

Set the max for an athlete to make at a mil a year. Ratchet everything else down to help the fans. Too bad the fans (including myself) don't want help, we pay what they ask, which means owners and players get MAD jack. It's sickening and we as fans need to wake up. When players can play five years and walk away set for life something's wrong. I don't fault Ricky in the least, it's yours and my fault. We're tools for the establishment, and Ricky won't be the last to "walk away" from the sports "we" not "they" love.

edit: what's the big deal, why don't you ask a miami fan what the big deal is? that's the stupidest thing you've ever typed on these forums, and that's saying a lot. It's not a big deal to me, but if I was a Dolphin fan it would be a pretty damn big deal considering "my" team traded for a RB who was in his prime, and he just quits.

He's not retiring, he's quitting. Like I said, I can't blame him 100%, but it certainly IS a big deal. Wake up kotex.

edit 2: as shocking as Barry Sanders retiring was, this is about 1000% more shocking. This isn't a RB walking away while almost setting the record for yards rushed, this is a RB walking away at the beginning of his prime because he already has made enough money for the rest of his life. This is an All-Pro who is walking away after playing five years in the NFL. Not a big deal? Grow up dude.

Meier

Bog said:
Actually, I think Minor might surprise some people.

Minor was awesome at FSU. I think he has the skills to be a good NFL running back but he's certainly no Ricky Williams. Gotta feel for the Dolphins... ouch.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Couldn't have come at a better time... "the work horse" is out there... Titan fans know who I am talkng about...

StoOgE

In Ricky's defense, anyone who has ever seen Earl Cambell in the last few years (and Ricky knows him very well) would question staying in the NFL too long. Both have alot in common outside of the Heismann and UT ties, they were both being way overworked by their teams...

I saw Earl at the mall a few years ago and he was really very hobbled looking. Faced with the possibility of becoming semi-handicapped 20 years down the road Im not sure early retirement is all that bad of a move.

StoOgE

Also on the timing:

its possible the phins knew about this for a while...

and in an intresting twist, Ricky is saying that when he tested positive for drugs its because he forgot to drink some sort of liquid shit that all the players take in order to pass them. lol.

DJ_Tet

Banned
StoOgE said:
Ricky is saying that when he tested positive for drugs its because he forgot to drink some sort of liquid shit that all the players take in order to pass them. lol.

Because I got high...

Because I got high...

Because I got hiiigh... ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom