• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ricky Williams to retire? WTF

Status
Not open for further replies.

StoOgE

First tragedy, then farce.
In other news: UT is down to one super back in the NFL. Cedric better hurry up and join Preist, he will be getting lonely... of course if Cedric holds true to form he will retire early too, because he doesnt want to miss out on doing anything ricky did.

DJ_Tet

Banned
Eddie George said:
But George stuck to his belief that he should be paid -- a lot. "I'm not being greedy," George said this week. "I've always tried to help this organization win.

What a douche. Eddie doesn't have enough money Konex. The mil bonus he got in March can't pay the light bill.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2004/writers/b_duane_cross/07/22/eddie.george/index.html
link

All pro athletes need a kick in the teeth, they need to give back to the fans before times go back to the 1970's with tape delayed Finals on tv and empty stands. I'll lead the way if I have to, and sports is the most important thing in my life. It's sad but true. But if I of all people can be sickened by all this, anyone can. Open your eyes. It's a game. They make/charge way too much. Times need to change. No way should anyone that ISN'T an entreprenuer make enough money in five years to support him and his children for life. It's not right. You didn't do it the right way Ricky, you just opened people's eyes. Robert Smith is trying to help us see the light.

We need to take his advice. It's just a game.

Fifty

That link (not an interview, just pieces from his autobiography) is very interesting. Makes me want to pick up the book. I wish more players were as intelligent as him.

It's a team game, and Ricky hurt his team by doing it now. If he's been thinking about it for so long, he should have realized when the right team was to say it. Maybe he should have realized that leaving now would only hurt his team and to reconsider. Whatever...he'll be on the beach with his millions while the rest of the guys hope they can make the playoffs.

DCX

DCX
Well if this doesn't fuck up the GAF Fantasy Leagues...gotta go make some changes to my wishlist.

DCX

Pimpwerx

I HATE YOU RICKY!!! I wish nothing but bad happens to you and no one but you. You fucking loser, you've just killed our season. We took a chance when everyone was calling you a flake. The eggs on our face now b/c you are flakey. Go on vacation. Never come back. Now we're gonna build our team around our ace AJ Feely. You'll be sorry when we're winning our 5th straight championship in 5 years. :( Yeah...thanks a lot douchebag. WHY??? Why this? Why now? Damn you football gods. PEACE.

Shinobi

Bat said:
Also, how could he do this before seeing how good he could be without the 30 pounds of dreads he just shaved off?

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif

The funny thing is that the average career for a NFL running back is four years. So Ricky's still a full year over the average.
lol.gif

Players can quit whenever they want as far as I'm concerned. The problem is how you do it, and he chose the worst possible time to step away. But I imagine that's probably reflective of his attitude towards the game...probably never been into it as much as most athletes are, and thus doesn't have that real bond with the team that most others have. Cause he's fucked them pretty good with this move. Still, I'd rather see someone who isn't happy move on then steal money while potentially giving a half-assed effort. That also hurts the team, and could ultimately hurt yourself (literally) if you're not too careful.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Earl Campbell used to be my favorite player back ni the day. Seeing how he is now is sad. He can't walk or stand without assistance from braces and he says he is in constant pain. He ran with the same style that Ricky does/did. If Ricky is looking at Earl and deciding that he needs to quit before he dows more damage to himself, then more power to him. It is his body, his life he should make decisions with both of those things in mind.

But I am thinking this has more to do with the drug issues he is going through. Either way, it is his decision. I am sure the Dolphins are not liking the timing of this at all. It is pretty crappy to retire right before training camp. Gives Dolphins no chance to get someone else. If they had known this, they could have gone after Eddie George. Well, David Boston better come to play this season. The pass/run ratio just got tipped in Pass' favor.

SyNapSe

Players can quit whenever they want as far as I'm concerned. The problem is how you do it, and he chose the worst possible time to step away.

While it is horrific timing, basically waiting until all the free agent RB's are picked up a week or two before training camp.

When, I was watching SC at 11 last night.. they made it sound like Ricky had been trying to quit all summer. They kept talking him into staying with the old.. c'mon do it for your teamates, just one more year.

At any rate, the guy supposedly never liked football. He has always wanted to play baseball, but gave it up because he knew he had a better chance of making it pro in Football. It would be interesting if in another year or so he tries to join some minor league team.

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
SyNapSe said:
When, I was watching SC at 11 last night.. they made it sound like Ricky had been trying to quit all summer. They kept talking him into staying with the old.. c'mon do it for your teamates, just one more year.

In that case, I don't blame Ricky at all. If he had been telling them he was retiring all off-season, it is the Dolphins fault for not believing him. Is Dave still the GM? This sounds like a boneheaded move he would make. If that report is true, the Dolphins had more than enough time to get someone else or make adjustments to the roster.

andthebeatgoeson

Pimpwerx said:
I HATE YOU RICKY!!! I wish nothing but bad happens to you and no one but you. You fucking loser, you've just killed our season. We took a chance when everyone was calling you a flake. The eggs on our face now b/c you are flakey. Go on vacation. Never come back. Now we're gonna build our team around our ace AJ Feely. You'll be sorry when we're winning our 5th straight championship in 5 years. :( Yeah...thanks a lot douchebag. WHY??? Why this? Why now? Damn you football gods. PEACE.

Wow, all that over a guy leaving. I guess he doesn't have the same rights as you. You know, to leave his job and all. And you want 'nothing but bad' to happen to him?

Athletes make as much money as they do cuz the market allows it. And everybody is part of the market: athletes, owners, Fans, especially the fans and marketers. If you have ever paid more than 20 bucks to see a game, you are the reason athletes get paid as much as they do. If you buy a Miller Light or Bud Light instead of your local beers like Yuengling cuz it's cheaper or whatever, you can accept some blame. We all are in on this, when it comes to high salaries. You can't just wash your hands of it and blame it on the athletes. You are driving up the cost, by either getting satellite just for Sunday Ticket or buying pizza on Sunday.

Now don't cry to me when the overwhelming reason, as seen on Sportscenter this am, was that he got tired and left. If his name was Pat Tillman, he'd be a hero. I guess he's only allowed to leave the game, after he 'loses a step.' Which sounds pretty selfish and more like after 'we ride your ass til we are done with ya. Debiliatating arthritis be damned!'...'And if you don't win us a championship, we'll constantly refer to ya as a loser.'...'Even tho I drive a bus, you're a loser for playing in the NFL for 7 years and never winning a ring!'

Take a step back and laugh at all the reactions. Get some perspective.

andthebeatgoeson

Sorry skinny...but good post and I was writing mine just as you posted this! -Blackace

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=1846012

Either way, my sideline diagnosis is bipolar. Flight of ideas? Trip to Asia with a one way ticket? Sudden events that appear out of the blue? Personality disorder with medications? Hmm. Sounds like lithium.

You should hope I'm right cuz if they can medicate him, he'll be suited up in no time. He may look like a zombie, but at least he'll rush for over 1500 yards.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
I agree with Skinny.. Many Lions fans were the same way when Barry retired... which was almost the same as Ricky..although under a few different circumstances ... the timing was no different.

Also Ricky has also been fighting depression his whole career and could very well be bipolar if this end to his career helps him with his problem I am all for it.... My mother is bipolar and no amount of money or fame can fully cure it...

TaleSynz

"Personality Disorder"

I knew about this when he played in NO, but it looks like its finally taking effect.

MIAMI IS FINISHED......

Simple at the. Their D has always kept them in the game and thier offense would try to scrap a win up. Ricky was thier work horse. If you watched at least a few Miami games the past 2 season you would know that Ricky was the Offense. They have no recievers, (Boston will get locked down) and no QB.
Minor may suprise everyone though. He wa great at FSU but as stated, he is NO Ricky Williams....

Looks like JETS may take the division....

Ricky has always been a little ODD

TaleSynz

Not really Black,

Barry was the WHOLE team to the Lions. They had a damn good reason to be mad.

Miami

This situation can be salvaged....Minor may suprise people, D took a hit which may be alright. IDK. They do play in a alright division.

andthebeatgoeson

Hmm, Lithium can wreck havoc on your kidneys, which I think clears marijuana, or it's byproducts. He should have been up on the new technology to evade the drug police. Poor Ricky.

Yup:
http://www.gwu.edu/~macche/presentations/Delta9-tetrhydrocannabinolTHC.pdf

Good read on it's effects, both long term and short term (there aren't too many. why is this illegal?). Also some other good things in there.

Viva la weed.

I'm just playing the other side to it. If he has some major personality disorder, I feel for him. I hope he can find some happieness and judging from that ESPN story, he already has.

Pimpwerx

I'm fine with athletes retiring early, WHEN IT HAPPENS TO SOMEONE ELSE. This is the worst fucking thing at the worst fucking time. They built a team around Ricky. He's the anchor. Without him, this offense is worthless. Minor sucks. Sorry, he's the best running back when no one's near him. Even at FSU, his decision-making behind blocks was questionable. He just makes the wrong cuts too many times. This is Ricky's team, and he's going on fucking vacation? Fuck him. The Fins make so many bad draft and trade decisions, that when one finally pays off, we hold onto it like grim death. That's Ricky. He's the savior of this team, and just up and leaving is a disrespect to the fans. Yeah yeah, when you make millions, everyone claims ownership. And dammit, he owes me at least another season to see if we can't get a ring. Then run off to flake paradise doing whatever stuff he wants. But right now, the Fins are fucked. This is a preseason kick to the nuts. If it happened to any other team, I'd support him, but when it happens to me, I don't care. It's time to be emotional and irrational. And so I hate his fucking guts right now. :x Now I'll have to agonize over the choice of Feely even more this season.

Oh yeah, if Ricky wanted to leave, it wasn't apparent. There were the usual issues, but not a peep in the Herald about possible retirement or sitting out games. This is out of the blue, and I think a lot of people just woke up to a lot of heartache today. :( PEACE.

TaleSynz

Worst part about this is The Phins didnt even have prior notice.

They could have attempted to pick up a clone back like Steven Jackson, Greg Jones, or Julius Jones.

But now, they get nothing.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
The Dolphins may very well have had prior notice. If they did and didn't act, they sure as hell aren't going to admit it.

I remember Williams never taking his helmet off after games and even giving interviews with it on occasionally, but he'd been much more public since he's been in Miami. People are saying that it is because of his problems that he's retiring, but maybe it's because he got over them. He was very insecure before, maybe he just now has the ability to step back and say that he can do what he wants instead of what is expected of him. He said that he wants to go back to school, I can't possibly fault him for that.

I'm rarely one to side with owners over athletes, so this may be my bias showing through. I just don't think everybody should get pissed off at him for leaving something he may never have really wanted to be in.

Shinobi

Pimpwerx said:
I'm fine with athletes retiring early, WHEN IT HAPPENS TO SOMEONE ELSE.

If it happened to any other team, I'd support him, but when it happens to me, I don't care. It's time to be emotional and irrational.

lol.gif
lol.gif
lol.gif
Gotta love the bottom line in sports. At least Duane is honest about it.

Guileless

Temp Banned for Remedial Purposes
Miami's OL was going to be worse than it was last year (lost RT Todd Wade among others) when his production already had declined. He was going to get killed 30 times a game trying to carry Feeley/Fiedler while the Miami media raked Wannstedt over the coals. This way, he can get high and chill and not worry about all that.

andthebeatgoeson

Hmm, maybe his 'personality' disorder was why he had that mirrored/darkened visor on his helmet. TO WATCH WHAT EVERYBODY WAS SAYING ABOUT HIM. TEH VOICES...TEH VOICES....WHY ARE YOU YEALLING AT ME???!?!!?!? STOP IT...AAAHHHGGGG!!! MAKE TEH BAD MEN GO AWAY!!!AAAAAHHHH

Cloudy

Banned
DJ_Tet said:
Way to put words in my mouth, I was gonna put a disclaimer but I didn't think a sports regular would call me on it. I don't think the owners should take the money, I think that tv contracts and sporting event tickets are way out of league.

Set the max for an athlete to make at a mil a year. Ratchet everything else down to help the fans. Too bad the fans (including myself) don't want help, we pay what they ask, which means owners and players get MAD jack. It's sickening and we as fans need to wake up. When players can play five years and walk away set for life something's wrong. I don't fault Ricky in the least, it's yours and my fault. We're tools for the establishment, and Ricky won't be the last to "walk away" from the sports "we" not "they" love.

edit: what's the big deal, why don't you ask a miami fan what the big deal is? that's the stupidest thing you've ever typed on these forums, and that's saying a lot. It's not a big deal to me, but if I was a Dolphin fan it would be a pretty damn big deal considering "my" team traded for a RB who was in his prime, and he just quits.

He's not retiring, he's quitting. Like I said, I can't blame him 100%, but it certainly IS a big deal. Wake up kotex.

edit 2: as shocking as Barry Sanders retiring was, this is about 1000% more shocking. This isn't a RB walking away while almost setting the record for yards rushed, this is a RB walking away at the beginning of his prime because he already has made enough money for the rest of his life. This is an All-Pro who is walking away after playing five years in the NFL. Not a big deal? Grow up dude.

Setting a max? Sorry bro, capitalism doesn't fucking work that way. And why do you think Ricky Williams owes anything to the fans? If you wanted to quit your job, wouldn't it be YOUR decision? It's his job and he can quit if he feels like it.

You're the one who fucking needs to grow up. Do you think these guys are slaves for our entertainment? If the guy wants to quit, he can fucking quit....

What a douche. Eddie doesn't have enough money Konex. The mil bonus he got in March can't pay the light bill.

If he could get more elsewhere (which he did), why blame him? Again, if you could leave your current job for a higher paying one, wouldn't you do it? I dunno why folks resent these guys for taking money that's fucking available. Fucking commies :p

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Cloudy said:
Setting a max? Sorry bro, capitalism doesn't fucking work that way. And why do you think Ricky Williams owes anything to the fans? If you wanted to quit your job, wouldn't it be YOUR decision? It's his job and he can quit if he feels like it.

You're the one who fucking needs to grow up. Do you think these guys are slaves for our entertainment? If the guy wants to quit, he can fucking quit....

As much as it pains me to say it...

I...

A..a...aa....agree

Witttttt.....with

K.kk.kk..kk......kkooo......Konex

exactly. You may not like his decision, but you have to respect the guy for being true to himself, cause thats all he really has control over. He shouldn't be forced to play football for the next 10 years just because he's gifted at it.

Cloudy

Banned
Oh and I knew Ricky was a different dude when I read a story about how he put his ad in the local dating pages. I mean, WTF....why would he need to do that? lol

Desperado

My respect for Ricky Williams +100.

seriously. If he didn't enjoy football anymore, then he has all the right in the world to retire.

RIP Dolphins.

I'm a little surprised that more athletes don't retire early. Most athletes only need to play for around 5-8 years and they are set for life, to do whatever they want, fulfill any of their wildest hobbies, and have the ability to do no more work for the rest of their life and live a great life.

I guess most athletes either look at it as a) They want even more money b) They want the fame more than the money c) They love the game. But still, I find it strange that something like this doesn't occur more often.

Cubsfan23

Banned
http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/7523844

Williams told the Herald the only people who he has to be accountable to are his three kids. I bet they'll love it years from now when their friends tell them how their daddy walked away from NFL millions to smoke weed and hang out in tin shacks.

Now he is free to roll as many fat spliffs as he wants, provided the law doesn't find him. It is illegal, big guy. One more thing, Ricky: It takes green to buy the green, and leaving millions of salary behind isn't exactly a way to get the good stuff.

lmao

i agree you should be able to walk away if you want. i still think it's kind of shitty that Williams didn't tell the dolphins a while ago he was planning this, because now they've missed out on a draft full of RB's and free agent RB's. But then again, maybe he TRIED to tell them and they thought he was bluffing.

i think a lot of athletes don't retire early for one of 3 reasons:

1. they need the money
2. they truly love the game and love playing the game
3. they aren't good at anything else, so they do what they know

andthebeatgoeson

http://sportsline.com/nfl/story/7523844
You can bet there's a young running back somewhere shaking his head wondering how Williams could give this all away and he can't even get a chance. Wasting God's gifts is a sad thing, but it's even more troubling to those who didn't quite get the full compliment, say a runner who might be a half a step slow or a tad too small.

The writer makes the wrong assumption that running with a ball is the only Gift. I'm sure God gave him some other gifts. How about the gift of doing what everybody doesn't want you to? Making your own decisions like a man instead of what a bunch of sportswriters and fans who don't even know you want? BTW, seven seasons as one of the premier back isn't a waste. He got to do what he loved as a young man, probably fucked a lot of women and had great cars. If that's a waste then what does the writer call his own life? The writer should just be a man and choke himself.

Mrbob

Yeah but this isn't like a regular job. He signed a contract for X amount of years at X amount of dollars. He isn't even a free agent. This is the problem I have. If he was a free agent, that's fine. But he signed a deal that said he would be with the team so long and he should honor it.

Mrbob said:
Yeah but this isn't like a regular job. He signed a contract for X amount of years at X amount of dollars. He isn't even a free agent. This is the problem I have. If he was a free agent, that's fine. But he signed a deal that said he would be with the team so long and he should honor it.

so he should keep on playing when his hearts not in it and just halfass his job? Im sure that'd be a great service to the Dolphins and their fans.

Mrbob

Ninja Scooter said:
so he should keep on playing when his hearts not in it and just halfass his job? Im sure that'd be a great service to the Dolphins and their fans.

I highly doubt once his competitive juices are flowing on the field it would be a half effort. Besides, a half ass Williams is still 10 times better than anything else they have on the team via the running back situation.

How exactly is screwing the team right before preseason starts any better?

because sometimes you have to be a little selfish. He can't keep on playing just for other people. Thats not a good way to go about life, especially doing something where playing at anything short of 100% can get you hurt.

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Eh, NFL contracts aren't guaranteed anyway. If the team has a right to cut him because they don't feel like paying him as much any more(See Eddie George), he has the same right to walk away from the contract.

Mrbob

Ninja Scooter said:
because sometimes you have to be a little selfish. He can't keep on playing just for other people. Thats not a good way to go about life, especially doing something where playing at anything short of 100% can get you hurt.

Heh, I'd buy this argument if it was any other player besides Ricky Williams. The man is so messed up in the head he'll probably want to make a return mid season.....

Cloudy

Banned

He's not their property and if he wants out, he can leave the money on the table...

Archaix said:
Eh, NFL contracts aren't guaranteed anyway. If the team has a right to cut him because they don't feel like paying him as much any more(See Eddie George), he has the same right to walk away from the contract.

Even if the contract was guaranteed, as long as it's not an injury keeping him from playing, the team wouldn't have to pay...

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
Cloudy said:
Even if the contract was guaranteed, as long as it's not an injury keeping him from playing, the team wouldn't have to pay...

No, I was just saying that if the team has no obligation to keep the terms of the contract, the player shouldn't be forced to keep playing if he wants to retire.

AssMan

Banned
My Dolphins are screwed now. Just when they picked up some decent OL, which they needed badly, and now RW leaves.

Speaking as a Longhorn fan, I really don't mind. There is a reason I never really tried to excel in any sports, and thats because I hated to practice. Its really boring and mindnumbing, which I competely understand that after practicing your ass off since you were around 12, you may get sick of it.

If you say anything bad about him, make sure you are not in Austin, he is seen as kind of a local god and a frat boy may not take too kindly to you insulting him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom