• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Riddick on PS2...

In all recent interviews with the developers a 'no comment' was given when questions were asked about the rumors on the upcoming PS2 port of the game, for example when Eurogamer recently asked about how they were going to do the normal mapping on the PS2 (if at all)... When I read this, I thought "hey, shouldn't that be clear in the footage of the PS2 version?" because I remember seeing footage of it on IGN while E3 was going on and I am certain that it was footage of the PS2 version. I remember it looking very similar to the XBox version in graphical quality although the lighting was a bit more subtle and I really couldn't tell what they did with the normal maps, they certainly weren't as in-your-face as in the XBox version but they seemed to be there to some extent (static bump-mapping as in Champions of Norrath?). So I went back to IGN to check it out again but now the footage is gone... Did anyone else see this or maybe save a copy to hd?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I am certain that it was footage of the PS2 version.
I wouldn't be so certain. I've heard the rumors and all, but this is really the first time anyone has ever said that he's seen the video footage on IGN. Then again, they DID remove some videos of their E3 reports when publishers asked them (case in point - a mockup intro for MGS3)

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
As many tweaks as they blatantly had to do with adjusting level-of-details on the X-Box version, I can only imagine how horrible it'd be on the PS2. You'd get a blown up version of it running at 320X240 or something...

The Xbox version had major bugs. I'd expect them to be even more pronounced in a PS2 version unless they did some major tweaking.

And to add insult to injury, after I get to chapter 24/25 my save file gets corrupted.

:(

tedtropy

You mean the stun gun? Naturally I shot the guy the moment I bought it off of him. I thought it was pretty clever of the designers to have him say "I knew you'd do that" as he falls. They know us all too well. ;)

tedtropy said:
As many tweaks as they blatantly had to do with adjusting level-of-details on the X-Box version, I can only imagine how horrible it'd be on the PS2. You'd get a blown up version of it running at 320X240 or something...
Yes, the dev's even said that they haven't fully tweaked the engine they used for 'Riddick' and I"m going to assume, if any other system got it, it would not look that great.

COCKLES

being watched
Weren't Starbreeze doing Enclave for PS2/GC that never appeared?

Started Riddick over the weekend - really does look great - I'm not seeing some of the imaging problems people are whining about? Doom 3 is going to have to look pretty special to beat it.

COCKLES said:
Weren't Starbreeze doing Enclave for PS2/GC that never appeared?

Started Riddick over the weekend - really does look great - I'm not seeing some of the imaging problems people are whining about? Doom 3 is going to have to look pretty special to beat it.
Agreed. However, they could've done a little better on cleaning up the jaggies on some of the textures close up, but seriously, anyone else who was bitching about picture quality just doesn't make sense since the game looks almost perfect.

How far are you Cockles?

tedtropy

It'd be a shame for them to not port this game to PC. While Riddek's a pretty nice looking game when you're about five feet away from something, as things get more distant, they tend to get pretty low-res and not-so-hot very fast. Don't get me wrong, Riddek is a very technically impressive game from a graphical standpoint, but you can definately tell they had to make ALOT of compromises to make the thing run on the X-Box. I really don't see this game offering much competition to Halo 2 or Half-Life 2, so it was wise of them to sort of meek it out when they did.

tedtropy said:
It'd be a shame for them to not port this game to PC. While Riddek's a pretty nice looking game when you're about five feet away from something, as things get more distant, they tend to get pretty low-res and not-so-hot very fast. Don't get me wrong, Riddek is a very technically impressive game from a graphical standpoint, but you can definately tell they had to make ALOT of compromises to make the thing run on the X-Box. I really don't see this game offering much competition to Halo 2 or Half-Life 2, so it was wise of them to sort of meek it out when they did.
True..... but most games of that nature tend to use the texture blends and draw distances to keep the framerate high.

It'll be interesting to see if Doom 3 is as "technically" and graphically as impressive as Riddick is since I think it'd be good to benchmark those two since they are graphically intensive.

I'm not talking about the trailer, I'm talking about PS2 gameplay footage, I'm positive that it was just that and it looked pretty damn good too.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Was this PS2 gameplay footage posted the same time as DOA3: Hardcore on PS2 or the mythical footage of Ninja Gaiden on PS2?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
tedtropy said:

It isn't that they are lowering the detail, though...

They are using some framebuffer effects that simply don't seem to work right. It isn't as if the screen resolution is actually changing or anything (like some people seem to think).

COCKLES

being watched
GuntherBait said:
Agreed. However, they could've done a little better on cleaning up the jaggies on some of the textures close up, but seriously, anyone else who was bitching about picture quality just doesn't make sense since the game looks almost perfect.

How far are you Cockles?

I've got just my DNA encoded so I can use the guns at the mainframe. Nice to see what Xbox can do when not straddled down by multi-platform conversions. I like the way they worked in the tutorial at the start of the game...when I killed Johns I was thinking "Shit I've screwed up Pitch Black". :D

Fujisawa

Banned
Who did Ron Perlman do the voice for? Was it Johns? I figured they'd use the same actor for Johns' voice as the guy that actually played him in Pitch Black,...

Fujisawa said:
Who did Ron Perlman do the voice for? Was it Johns? I figured they'd use the same actor for Johns' voice as the guy that actually played him in Pitch Black,...

The actor that played Johns did do the voice for Chronicles. I think Ron Perlman did that guy in the mines, the one you try to escape with.

Who the hell is xyzbit or whatever?

Fujisawa

Banned
The Shadow said:
The actor that played Johns did do the voice for Chronicles. I think Ron Perlman did that guy in the mines, the one you try to escape with.

Haha crap. I just got to the mines last night. Guess that's what I get for asking. ;)

Fujisawa said:
Haha crap. I just got to the mines last night. Guess that's what I get for asking. ;)

Doh! I was afraid of that. Don't worry. It's not a *huge* plot point or spoiler. You hardly see the guy.

It's not as big of a spoiler as say, when you meet Carolyn Fry from Pitch Black at the starport, or when you go to the food processing area and realize they chop up dead prisoners to serve as food.

Fujisawa

Banned
The Shadow said:
Doh! I was afraid of that. Don't worry. It's not a *huge* plot point or spoiler. You hardly see the guy.

It's not as big of a spoiler as say, when you meet Carolyn Fry from Pitch Black at the starport, or when you go to the food processing area and realize they chop up dead prisoners to serve as food.

LOL

Riddick on the PS2 would look and run like total ass. The PS2 just can't handle something like this. If anything, they need to port it to the PC 'cause the jump in resolution would do wonders for the visuals in this game. While it looks incredible on the Xbox, there seems to be some problems with the resolution, especially during cut scenes. I swear, sometimes it looks like they're running at 320 x 240 with a Vaseline filter smeared over the top.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
Supposedly a 4-level demo build of Riddick on the PS2 exists. Some foreign PS2 mag claimed to have played it. Scary...

DopeyFish

Not bitter, just unsweetened
The Shadow said:

Xzibit, the rapper.

Xzibit= worst name ever.

For some reason I was thinking that Ron Pearlman was playing Hoxie, the guy that runs the prison, but I guess I really wasn't paying too much attention.

And speaking of Hoxie, I've got a question. Can someone explain to me why Hoxie would purchase Riddick to be at his prison? I can understand Johns collecting his bounty from him but what kind of wacked out economics is there where a prison warden like Hoxie would be in a bidding war for prisoners like Riddick? How the hell does he benefit? I could never get my head around that one.

DopeyFish

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Xzibit= worst name ever.

For some reason I was thinking that Ron Pearlman was playing Hoxie, the guy that runs the prison, but I guess I really wasn't paying too much attention.

And speaking of Hoxie, I've got a question. Can someone explain to me why Hoxie would purchase Riddick to be at his prison? I can understand Johns collecting his bounty from him but what kind of wacked out economics is there where a prison warden like Hoxie would be in a bidding war for prisoners like Riddick? How the hell does he benefit? I could never get my head around that one.

If a lot of people want him dead, I suppose the merc just gets their payday, and the prison could sell off to the highest bidder if they wanted to. I dunno :p

aaaaa0

Hitler Stole My Potato said:
Can someone explain to me why Hoxie would purchase Riddick to be at his prison? I can understand Johns collecting his bounty from him but what kind of wacked out economics is there where a prison warden like Hoxie would be in a bidding war for prisoners like Riddick? How the hell does he benefit? I could never get my head around that one.

They way I thought it might work is that the government authority in the system offers large payments for keeping high-profile dangerous criminals out of circulation.

The higher-profile and/or more dangerous the criminal, the higher the payments.

EX: Say that Riddick is worth two million if you can incarcerate him and keep him from escaping and making more trouble.

So if I take Riddick in my prison, I earn two million. Say it costs me 10k a year to keep him there. Over 50 years, that's say 500k.

That means I get 1.5mill in profit, which I use half to pay the mercenary that got him for me. The rest I take in profit, some of which I use to get other mercenaries to deliver more criminals to my prison.

The government comes in once in a while and inspects the prisons to make sure the prisoners they're paying for are still alive and no one is cheating by capturing and executing their prisoners after getting their payments. (This is assuming that the government doesn't use capital punishment.)

(Also the payments might not be lump sums, but paid out over 50 years or whatever, so I have incentive to keep my prisoners alive.)

DopeyFish

well in the game, if the guard wanted to beat the shit out of a prisoner for example, they would do it off camera

aaaaa0 said:
They way I thought it might work is that the government authority in the system offers large payments for keeping high-profile dangerous criminals out of circulation.

The higher-profile and/or more dangerous the criminal, the higher the payments.

EX: Say that Riddick is worth two million if you can incarcerate him and keep him from escaping and making more trouble.

So if I take Riddick in my prison, I earn two million. Say it costs me 10k a year to keep him there. Over 50 years, that's say 500k.

That means I get 1.5mill in profit, which I use half to pay the mercenary that got him for me. The rest I take in profit, some of which I use to get other mercenaries to deliver more criminals to my prison.

The government comes in once in a while and inspects the prisons to make sure the prisoners they're paying for are still alive and no one is cheating by capturing and executing their prisoners after getting their payments. (This is assuming that the government doesn't use capital punishment.)

(Also the payments might not be lump sums, but paid out over 50 years or whatever, so I have incentive to keep my prisoners alive.)

Thanks aaaaa0. :) I could never understand Hoxie's motivation. I mean I could understand the greed aspect and all, but I couldn't see exactly how he would profit off of having Riddick there. I suppose your explanation is the most plausible but I still think that Hoxie's storyline would've benefited from a little more exposition.

GuntherBait said:
where was the footage?
There was this huge E3 coverage directory while it was happening, Chronicles of Riddick for PS2 was in there too. I believe it was in there for like a whole day or so actually...
But then again IGN quickly burried the link to that E3 coverage directory by also posting E3 news on their front page, they should get their layout organized better next time.

Subitai

Matt said:
"Only On XBox"...
Yeah, Riddick as it is on Xbox won't be on PS2. There may be a sequel or Riddick "plus" on PS2 in the future though. Something to make it different enough not to undermine the exclusivity agreement its in for Xbox.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Please keep it on xbox..
Any attempt they made to port it to the ps2 (unless they really care, which is VERY unlikely) would butcher it. Obviously the game uses some xbox hardware tricks (like MGS2 for ps2) and would not port well.

Sho Nuff

Banned
I just beat Riddick tonight.

Endgame, when you break out of the cryo prison, is OFF THE FUCKING HOOK!!! The cryo-pyramid level is incredible, with the amazingly animated giant droids stalking you down on the floor while you're trying to avoid them climbing the pyramids. When you step into the giant mech and start trampling the living shit out of everything and the FLOOR STARTS GETTING RIPPED UP, AND THE DROID STARTS MAKING FUN OF HOW MUCH YOUR DRIVING SUCKS, I was cracking up.

Anyway, a visually accurate port of Riddick to the PS2? Good fricking luck. The normal mapping and polybump take this game to a whole new level. Simply put, no other game looks like this. (And for those of you who say it makes everything look plasticky and metallic, blow. It's set in a prison, where the environment IS plastic and metal.)

Top Bottom