• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Demolition Girl; one of PS2's weirdest games (a bikini kaiju shmup??) and other WEIRD PS2 experiences

VGEsoterica

PS1 and more so IMO PS2 thrives on weird for a certain percentage of their overall library where PS3 kind of leaned away from the "weird" as gaming got way more mainstream during that era. But on PS2 there is a metric crap ton of titles that for one reason or another you just ask yourself "who in the hell came up with THAT idea"?

Enter Demolition Girl, part of the Simple 2000 series of games which was a run of budget priced titles that were all a bit janky in their own way. Some were short, some were boring AF, some were janky but promising...and some had you fighting a 100' tall bikini model with a helicopter before she destroyed cities ala Godzilla. Throw in some aliens and flying saucers...and you have yourself a game that actually exists but probably has no good reason to? But you have to love when games just use "weird and because we can" as the entire design ethos behind the title.

And this just seemed to happen a lot during the PS2 era. For every Metal Gear Solid we got a Demolition Girl. It was just the vibe back then

But that got me thinking GAF? What's your fav "weird" PS2 game...and fav weird game in general? I will say Mr. Mosquito on PS2 probably is the strangest game IMO

Last edited:

ssringo

The whole "Simple" series is a bunch of low budget, and sometime weird, games. I imported a few back in the day. One I remember was some weird horror(?) game about giant roaches but the big one gave way to the weirdly fun Onechanbara series of bikini zombie slaying.

Kg2Hu9B.jpg

Edit: apparently it wasn't just giant roaches and was giant critters/crawlers.

SzlCw99.gif

Last edited:

STARSBarry

Gold Member
So I guess my "weird" games are pretty tame compared to others, REZ stands out for me because I got the edition that came with a vibrator... it didn't get much use until I got a gamer girlfriend a few years later who flipped out when she found out I had a copy, top tier coop experience although the clean up was annoying, can't let that shit just stay on leather.

I also fondly remember Gitaroo Man but that's weird in a parappa the rappa way... remember killing my thumb trying to perfect it all.

My fav weird game is for the PS4 though... Ace of Seafood, anyone who has experienced that gem knows it's truly special.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
One I remember was some weird horror(?) game about giant roaches
now that's the scariest horror game i've ever seen.

Roaches make me seize up and give me the heebie jeebies. If i see a big cockroach in my room it's hard to kill it

Simple Series the thread. Imported loads of games from that line on various systems, fair few actually came to the west under different names. Perefct games for the trashy B-movie/exploitation connoisseur.

The whole "Simple" series is a bunch of low budget, and sometime weird, games. I imported a few back in the day. One I remember was some weird horror(?) game about giant roaches but the big one gave way to the weirdly fun Onechanbara series of bikini zombie slaying.

Kg2Hu9B.jpg

That bug game sounds like Simple 2000 series Vol. 113 The Tairyou Jigoku. Played it not long ago myself. What's even weirder about it, aside from being chased around by giant bugs and fighting weird bosses, is the narrative seems like a play on Alice in Wonderland :messenger_grinning_sweat:

VGEsoterica

So I guess my "weird" games are pretty tame compared to others, REZ stands out for me because I got the edition that came with a vibrator... it didn't get much use until I got a gamer girlfriend a few years later who flipped out when she found out I had a copy, top tier coop experience although the clean up was annoying, can't let that shit just stay on leather.

I also fondly remember Gitaroo Man but that's weird in a parappa the rappa way... remember killing my thumb trying to perfect it all.

My fav weird game is for the PS4 though... Ace of Seafood, anyone who has experienced that gem knows it's truly special.
Lolol not the comment I expected today

VGEsoterica

Simple Series the thread. Imported loads of games from that line on various systems, fair few actually came to the west under different names. Perefct games for the trashy B-movie/exploitation connoisseur.

That bug game sounds like Simple 2000 series Vol. 113 The Tairyou Jigoku. Played it not long ago myself. What's even weirder about it, aside from being chased around by giant bugs and fighting weird bosses, is the narrative seems like a play on Alice in Wonderland :messenger_grinning_sweat:
The Simple series is such a fun deep dive into the B sides of PS2. I always wonder what devs went on to make hit games after getting their start on Simple

The Simple series is such a fun deep dive into the B sides of PS2. I always wonder what devs went on to make hit games after getting their start on Simple

The PS2 & PSP had so many Simple Series releases, PS1 and NDS had a few too, but by Vita it was pretty much gone (I only have 3 Simple Series for Vita) As long as you don't mind a bit of jank there's some gems to be found. At least we still have EDF & Onechanbara from D3 these days. Shame they didn't promote more from the simple stuff, remember playing something like a DMC styled Onechanbara on PSP that was good but never got a sequel. I'll have to dig that out later.

Oh god, this thread is for me! <3

I still discover ps2 games, insane library...You guys wants only weird games or good and (really) obscure too ?

I can post a ton!

consoul

Under the Skin
Michigan
Ribbit King
Endonesia
Super Galdelic Hour
Dog of Bay
Disaster Report
Chulip
Rule.of Rose
Miniskirt Police
Street Golf

...there are too many. PS2 was a goldmine of creativity.

*edit* Just remembered one of my faves that doesn't get much love:

Truck Kyousoukyoku: Ai to Kanashimi no Rodeo
(Truck Mad Dash: Rodeo of Love & Sorrow)

Last edited:

VGEsoterica

Under the Skin
Michigan
Ribbit King
Endonesia
Super Galdelic Hour
Dog of Bay
Disaster Report
Chulip
Rule.of Rose
Miniskirt Police
Street Golf

At least one of those is on this series of weird games

Under the Skin
Michigan
Ribbit King
Endonesia
Super Galdelic Hour
Dog of Bay
Disaster Report
Chulip
Rule.of Rose
Miniskirt Police
Street Golf

Raw Danger was great too!

The whole "Simple" series is a bunch of low budget, and sometime weird, games. I imported a few back in the day.
Literally the Japanese indie game scene. I’m not sure if it started with them, but they made big strides for lower budget creators by pumping these games out.

Literally the Japanese indie game scene. I’m not sure if it started with them, but they made big strides for lower budget creators by pumping these games out.
A lot of Simple Series was re-released on EUR with new name and at full price lol!

One example;

Simple 2000 series vol.87: The Senko (jp)
Dragon Sisters (eur)

calistan

Leather? I've got some of those things kicking around and they come with washable nylon pouches or you can just use them uncovered for easy wipedown.

If you connect a couple of them you get different vibrations in each one, like bass in one and snare in the other. I'd love it if somebody modded one of the more modern Rez remakes to work with them, they're just USB after all.

8BYooSu.jpg

STARSBarry

Gold Member
Leather? I've got some of those things kicking around and they come with washable nylon pouches or you can just use them uncovered for easy wipedown.

If you connect a couple of them you get different vibrations in each one, like bass in one and snare in the other. I'd love it if somebody modded one of the more modern Rez remakes to work with them, they're just USB after all.

8BYooSu.jpg

Yean the issue is my couch at the time was leather and she would gush all over it. The pouch was... well it didn't stick around long.

Last edited:

oji-san

Banned
You might found the most weird and idiotic game ever :D
Not even close but i remember playing NeverDead on PS3 and it was quite a fun game where you can take parts of your body like your head and use them on puzzles and combat, no doubt it was stupid but fun.

Moses85

PS1 and more so IMO PS2 thrives on weird for a certain percentage of their overall library where PS3 kind of leaned away from the "weird" as gaming got way more mainstream during that era. But on PS2 there is a metric crap ton of titles that for one reason or another you just ask yourself "who in the hell came up with THAT idea"?

Enter Demolition Girl, part of the Simple 2000 series of games which was a run of budget priced titles that were all a bit janky in their own way. Some were short, some were boring AF, some were janky but promising...and some had you fighting a 100' tall bikini model with a helicopter before she destroyed cities ala Godzilla. Throw in some aliens and flying saucers...and you have yourself a game that actually exists but probably has no good reason to? But you have to love when games just use "weird and because we can" as the entire design ethos behind the title.

And this just seemed to happen a lot during the PS2 era. For every Metal Gear Solid we got a Demolition Girl. It was just the vibe back then

But that got me thinking GAF? What's your fav "weird" PS2 game...and fav weird game in general? I will say Mr. Mosquito on PS2 probably is the strangest game IMO

Is their a nude patch available for this?

DoA BVB anyone?!

Chappelles Show Lol GIF

Top Bottom