• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rika Suzuki (scenario writer and director for Hotel Dusk, Trace Memory/Another Code) is back with a new game "Dark Auction: Hitler’s Estate"

HLByRA2.jpg

IzanagiGames, Inc. (located in Koto-ku, Tokyo, and led by CEO/Producer Shinsuke Umeda) has announced the company will be crowdfunding for Dark Auction: Hitler’s Estate, a brand new “authentic mystery adventure” game with an original story/scenario written by Rika Suzuki (Trace Memories, Hotel Dusk: Room 215), and character design by Kohske (GANGSTA.). The title is due for release on Nintendo Switch™ and Steam® in 2024.
Comment: Rika Suzuki

The game is a mystery adventure centering on the idea of a historical figure having surreptitiously bequeathed a fictitious estate, following the drama that plays out among the characters faced with an enigma extending all the way into their modern world.

The tale unfolds in an ancient castle in 1981, 36 years after Hitler’s death. 18-year-old protagonist Noah is determined not to turn out like his father, but, beyond that, he has no idea of the kind of person he wants to be. Noah takes part in a mysterious auction held at the old castle, and, as someone living in the 1980s, comes to terms with the absurdity of the trauma the war left behind, learning of the truths hidden deep within those affected, ultimately closing in on the big secret his father has been concealing.

When we learn about history, we think about the present and what it means to be human.

Thinking about the past also means thinking about the future.

Throughout the long flow of time, certain individuals are predestined to make history—a projection of, and projection onto the times in which they lived. Hitler was one such individual—an evil specter at the heart of the tumult of the Second World War.

What if, behind the scenes, as a final act, he sought to bequeath something to the next generation?

In the 1980s, in a Germany still haunted by this dark specter, how did the youngsters who found themselves entangled with his estate react? How did their perceptions of the future change? My goal is to portray the human drama at the heart of it all.
Full details from the publisher's official site.

Having been nearly a lifelong fan of Rika Suzuki's games and someone who was crushed by CiNG's closure back in 2010, this is actually a dream coming true. The scenario sounds absolutely insane and I can't wait to see what she does with it. Great to see one of my all time favorite developers come back to gaming!

YghLLrq.jpg
hotel-dusk-smiles.gif

Edit:
The publisher's synopsis is worded in a way that suggests the game's protagonist is related to Hitler but that's not the case. Here is a much clearer summary from the game's campfire campaign:
Germany, 1981.
Noah is an 18-year-old who remembers being abandoned by his mother when he was a child,
He lives with his eccentric father Leonardo, an unsuccessful writer who is devoted to Hitler research.
Noah wishes he could stop his strange research, but Leonardo will never stop his research, no matter how much money he has to spend.

One day, an invitation arrives for an auction where "items related to Hitler" are to be sold,
Leonardo overcomes Noah's objections and heads for the old castle where the auction is to be held, with the promise that he will tell him everything when he returns.

Noah goes to the castle to pick up his father, who has not returned by the scheduled date and cannot be reached.
There, Noah witnesses a shocking sight.

Noah soon discovers that he and the other participants are trapped in the old castle,
He is invited by the auctioneer to participate in this strange auction.

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure the protagonist is Hitler's grandson, not his direct son. If Hitler died 36 years ago it would be impossible for his son to be 18, lol. So with that in mind, I'm assuming Hitler's actual son is the father that's hiding the secret of their lineage from the story's 18 year old protagonist.

I loved Hotel Dusk because it was a VN without any animu dragging it down. Teenage Hitler solving mysteries sounds like the complete opposite of that, sadly.

Deft Beck

That is pretty much the definition of a dark auction alright.

Not a fucking hope that this releases in the West.

There's been many more heinous visual novels fully localized and purchasable on sites like MangaGamer. I doubt this is going to be that explicit by comparison.

Just because the subject matter is challenging doesn't mean that it won't be localized.

Pallas

Gold Member
Oh shit, you're right. I keep forgetting Persona 1 and 2.
I feel like they are often overshadowed by the newer persona games. I wish they got more attention, always thought the stories and characters much more darker in tone and a much more engrossing atmosphere, than the later Persona games.

Sorry to detract too much from the topic but this game sounds interesting.

OuterLimits

I mean, Himmler is pretty much up there when it comes to (in)famous Nazis, isn't he? I thought he'd be well known enough.

But fair point. Hitler, of course, is the bigger IP.

The Netflix documentary series "Hitler's Circle of Evil" is pretty damn good. I will be honest that I didn't know much about his closest inner circle until watching that.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
I'm pretty sure the protagonist is Hitler's grandson, not his direct son. If Hitler died 36 years ago it would be impossible for his son to be 18, lol.
Never underestimate Japanese plot twists.

There's been many more heinous visual novels fully localized and purchasable on sites like MangaGamer. I doubt this is going to be that explicit by comparison.

Just because the subject matter is challenging doesn't mean that it won't be localized.
The only chance of the west allowing Hitler in a game is if you get to kill him before the game is over.
And Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, of course.

Joking aside, I don’t understand fans of her previous stories having doubts.

StereoVsn

Japanese representation of Nazis and related materials are just .... sometimes. This game is going to be something alright.

And I really liked Hotel Dusk too, sigh...

Virex

Banned
Why the fuck does everyone pretend the SEQUEL to Hotel Dusk doesn't exist. It's equally as good and I replay them both once a year. The fuck is wrong with people, just because your game only released in Japan and PAL land, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

aheHask.jpg

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I mean, the investigation mechanics of hotel dusk was its weakest part, so I doubt this game will be able to tackle this with the necessary nuance to be great in any way.

I'm pretty sure the protagonist is Hitler's grandson, not his direct son. If Hitler died 36 years ago it would be impossible for his son to be 18, lol. So with that in mind, I'm assuming Hitler's actual son is the father that's hiding the secret of their lineage from the story's 18 year old protagonist.

The way the synopsis is written on the publisher's website is misleading. Noah isn't Hitler's son or grandson, he is the son of an author obsessed with Hitler's legacy and tracking down Hitler memorabilia. His father goes to a weird auction at Hitler's estate and doesn't return at their agreed upon time. The mystery begins when Noah goes off to the estate in search of his missing father.

This is a more clear synopsis from the games crowdfund campaign:
Germany, 1981.
Noah is an 18-year-old who remembers being abandoned by his mother when he was a child,
He lives with his eccentric father Leonardo, an unsuccessful writer who is devoted to Hitler research.
Noah wishes he could stop his strange research, but Leonardo will never stop his research, no matter how much money he has to spend.

One day, an invitation arrives for an auction where "items related to Hitler" are to be sold,
Leonardo overcomes Noah's objections and heads for the old castle where the auction is to be held, with the promise that he will tell him everything when he returns.

Noah goes to the castle to pick up his father, who has not returned by the scheduled date and cannot be reached.
There, Noah witnesses a shocking sight.

Noah soon discovers that he and the other participants are trapped in the old castle,
He is invited by the auctioneer to participate in this strange auction.

RPJfTYV.png

Leonardo
Noah's father, 55 years old. He is an eccentric, unsuccessful novelist, with only one bestseller, "The Truth About Maria." His wife ran away when Noah was very young. He raises Noah by himself.
(both passages translated via DeepL)

Kikorin

Hotel Dusk is one of the best game ever made, so can't wait for this. I remember that I played it all in like 2 days, I simply couldn't stop playing.

I mean, the investigation mechanics of hotel dusk was its weakest part, so I doubt this game will be able to tackle this with the necessary nuance to be great in any way.
Not sure I get the connection here. By investigation mechanics, do you mean how you look around and observe your surroundings or the full suite of puzzle mechanics? And why would that hamper the nuance of the scenario?

JimboJones

Kinda curious about the game, I remember liking Trace Memory/ Another Code back on DS.
Not sure I'd be up for wearing a hoodie or T-shirt with Hitler on it though 😆
MCQM0fL.png

Why the fuck does everyone pretend the SEQUEL to Hotel Dusk doesn't exist. It's equally as good and I replay them both once a year. The fuck is wrong with people, just because your game only released in Japan and PAL land, doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

aheHask.jpg

? I think CiNG fans generally regard last window as one of their absolute best games. The real game that gets overlooked in their catalogue is Another Code R Journey Into Lost Memories, absolute masterpiece.

Virex

Banned
? I think CiNG fans generally regard last window as one of their absolute best games. The real game that gets overlooked in their catalogue is Another Code R Journey Into Lost Memories, absolute masterpiece.

I was sad when CiNG closed shop, they made such great game(most of them). Pity most people don't know about them or the games given that most of them only release in Japan and PAL Land. There was just something special about their games.

Top Bottom