• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam |OT| I love the smell of napalm in the morning

risingstorm2vietnamotp7q87.jpg

Release Date: 30 May, 2017
Platform: PC | http://store.steampowered.com/app/418460/Rising_Storm_2_Vietnam/
Price: $24.99 | Digital Deluxe Edition: $29.99
Publisher: Tripwire Interactive
Developer: Antimatter Games, Tripwire Interactive
Official Website: http://rs2vietnam.com/
Announcement Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yBYMluk3R4s
Launch Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqyeNcNKxXs
Trello: https://trello.com/b/pTmp5jlk/rising-storm-2:-vietnam-roadmap | A roadmap of short term and long term plans for the game

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam is the sequel to Rising Storm, a stand-alone expansion pack to Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad.

For the first time, the authentic gunplay and visceral first-person action of the Red Orchestra series is coming to an era of automatic rifles, man-portable grenade launchers and more modern weapons systems.
Rising Storm 2: Vietnam casts players into a brutal, authentic recreation of the Vietnam War.

massivemultiplayerbat7zsjp.jpg

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam offers intense tactical action for up to 64 players in battles between the US forces and the Vietnamese, with each force having their own unique abilities and tactical advantages such as Napalm Strikes, Artillery Barrages, surface-to-air missiles, traps, ambushes and more.

30authenticweapons_heh2szm.jpg

A variety of authentic period weapons available including the M16, M14, M60, M79 and M3 Grease Gun for the Americans; and the Type 56 Assault Rifle (a Chinese copy of the famous AK-47), RPG-7, MAT-49, SKS Carbine and many, many more for the Vietcong. Weapons also have a wide range of functionality with in-game implications, including adjustable stocks, attachable bayonets, and a new and advanced recoil system which builds on the already phenomenal weapon handling that the Red Orchestra series is famous for.

rideofthevalkyries_he2usek.jpg

Players on the US team will be able to pilot 3 different helicopters - the UH-1H "Huey" transport, the OH-6 "Loach" light recon and the powerful AH-1G "Cobra" attack helicopter.

conventionalvsguerill8ysv6.jpg

Play as both the United States Military and Vietnamese resistance fighters. Rising Storm 2: Vietnam allows players to control either the U.S. Army and Marines Corps or the militarized and guerrilla forces of North Vietnam - the NVA and the Viet Cong.

historicalworld_herovvsh1.jpg

Each map faithfully recreates the look of the Vietnam experience and aims to pull players directly into the war with its extreme authenticity to real life. Maps will include the famous jungles of Vietnam, but will also cover battles that occurred in cities, on rolling hills, in US Firebases, Rice Fields, Plantations and many more authentic locations.

2newgamemodes23sfj.jpg

Game types include Red Orchestra's classic territory control mode, the new Supremacy mode, for large-scale combat including helicopters, VC tunnels and more, as well as the new smaller Skirmish mode and maps designed for 16 or less players. These new smaller maps are designed to be a more competitive, squad-based experience that reflect the small unit actions that Vietnam is famous for.

commandyourteam_hero35s05.jpg

Enhanced squad system that allows players to set up squads as they want them - name them, add their friends, set the squad tag color in game. Once in game, easy identification of your squad in the world and on maps - and dedicated VOIP channels for the squad, as well as bonuses for working together.

fairplay_heroiussk.jpg

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam's focus will be player skill and balance. Content like weapon upgrades, improved player characteristics or new armaments won't be locked behind a rank or experience system. The tools to succeed is in the hands of every player.

personalizeyouruniforqosq1.jpg

Rising Storm 2: Vietnam will allow players to customize their player characters with additional uniform and equipment variants earned as they play. These will include new headgear, clothing, tattoos, glasses and more.

Maps:

An Lao Valley | Cu Chi | Compound | Firebase | Hill 937 | Hue City | Jungle Camp | Song Be

an_lao_valleynokxw.png
ch_chikkjl9.png
compound76kv5.png
firebase0tkw5.png
hill_937glkmf.png
hue_citye4j8f.png
jungle_camp0op8d.png
song_benvk9j.png

System Requirements:

Minimum:
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i3 @ 2.5GHz or AMD Phenom @ 2.5GHz
Memory: 4 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 460 or ATI Radeon HD 5850
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 12 GB available space
Additional Notes: UNSUPPORTED HARDWARE: 32-bit Operating Systems

Recommended:
OS: Windows 7 SP1, Windows 8.1, Windows 10 (64-bit versions only)
Processor: Intel Core i5 @ 3.2GHz or AMD @ 4.0GHz or better
Memory: 6 GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760 or AMD R9 270X or better
DirectX: Version 11
Network: Broadband Internet connection
Storage: 12 GB available space

Screenshots:

So ready, getting all the feels from Vietcong back, just want to know what preset for the graphics gives a more realistic colour palette

daxy

Haven't gotten the chance to participate in the beta unfortunately, so maybe someone can help me with this question. When playing on the Vietnamese side, is there an option to change ambient voice chatter to their native language? So far I've only heard everything spoken in English, but I really enjoyed how immersive it was in RO2 when everyone spoke either German or Russian.

In any case, I'm super hyped for this release. What a great price for the game, too!

The last beta wave was a little rough around the edges but I kept coming back to play more. One thing that impressed me was the performance gains in between the last couple beta waves, Tripwire put in work. I have 100+ hours in RO2 and I can see myself doing the same for this.

The last beta wave was a little rough around the edges but I kept coming back to play more. One thing that impressed me was the performance gains in between the last couple beta waves, Tripwire put in work. I have 100+ hours in RO2 and I can see myself doing the same for this.
Yeah was very surprised how well it ran on my laptop

Heads up if you're interested in this game. You can pre-order the Digital Deluxe Edition now for 25% off. That's cheaper than the regular version at launch.

Haven't gotten the chance to participate in the beta unfortunately, so maybe someone can help me with this question. When playing on the Vietnamese side, is there an option to change ambient voice chatter to their native language? So far I've only heard everything spoken in English, but I really enjoyed how immersive it was in RO2 when everyone spoke either German or Russian.

Ambient voices are in Vietnamese. The announcer voice however is in English (with an accent).

Erheller

Great! I guess I must've misremembered from the footage I'd watched.

I know in some of the earlier betas they kept the Japanese voice acting from Rising Storm 1 as a placeholder, but as far as I know it's always been either Japanese or Vietnamese

Yeah, in the last closed beta wave I had tons of stuttering on a 650M but by the public beta it was all gone.

TheRed

Can't wait, enjoyed the little I played of the beta. It was a lot fun. Have it pre ordered. So how many maps are in the full game? I saw only a choice of like 5 in the servers in beta, is that all there is for now?

Got my copy! Fucking cant wait. Loved RO2 and pretty much everything else TW does. Will there be a Gaf group or server or anything for this?

I love these achievements.

First Blood then First Blood: Part 2 popped up and I laughed.

Can't wait, enjoyed the little I played of the beta. It was a lot fun. Have it pre ordered. So how many maps are in the full game? I saw only a choice of like 5 in the servers in beta, is that all there is for now?

There are six now.

The way they implemented team icons and have friendly fire on is seriously the best implementation to keep the game tense without just spraying anything you see like what BF has become. It's just genius: teammates don't have icons usually but if you get your crosshair close to them the icon pops up. This keeps your screen free of a ton of icons but also makes it so you think before shooting, if you make a snap reaction shot cuz you saw something move it might just be a teammate and you won't see the icon pop up in time.

Played for pretty much the whole day yesterday and I can say the game is just amazing. It's great to see all of these players that are clearly new to the series as well.

I played a bit of the Commander role and overall I had a good time. I did have one round where I nearly wiped our team defending the last point on Cu Chi with our own arty, but besides that it was great. The hardest part so far is getting the new squad leaders to place arty marks, but that'll get better as they gain more experience. Overall I'm loving the game.

KaiserBecks

So far I'm not really a fan of what I've seen. I loved RO2 and Rising Storm, but this seems so...clustered. The maps are fairly small and thanks to practically everyone having automatic weapons now, the game has a different momentum. Hope my 2nd impression will be better. Otherwise there's still the criminally underrated "Squad". But that game scratches a different itch.

So far I'm not really a fan of what I've seen. I loved RO2 and Rising Storm, but this seems so...clustered. The maps are fairly small and thanks to practically everyone having automatic weapons now, the game has a different momentum. Hope my 2nd impression will be better. Otherwise there's still the criminally underrated "Squad". But that game scratches a different itch.

Fairly small?? Cu Chi is fucking enormous! Hue is massive too.

nowarning

Real fun game, I love RO2/RS. I would only say there's one "small" map that I've played so far, Compound, but it was still a lot of fun to play, a lot faster paced than the others. More close range combat than being small though, really.

I always enjoy TWI games and they've done it again, will probably be playing this for a long time.

jeffc919

Picked this up for my soon to be built PC. Looked cool from the videos I watched and they are practically giving it away on cdkeys. Never played the other games by this dev but I like the Battlefield series and this looked like a slightly more realistic take on that formula, though I could be way off just basing that on videos. Anyway, between this and PUBG and a few other games I picked up cheap I'm not going to have enough time for all of them (and my PS4 is probably going to start collecting dust).

FlyinJ

Douchebag. Yes, me.
Has there been any announcement of a console release? I freaking loved RO2 but I only play FPS online on console now.

daxy

I'm so gutted trash at this. I feel like I'm getting picked apart by people I can't even see ; (

I share your pain. That's the type of game these guys make! You have to be really attentive of sight lines and your surroundings in general. I would recommend sticking to your squad or team members if you haven't been doing that already. I find that usually extends my life by a few minutes while I'm still learning the ins and outs of a map. Playing this after BF1 has fucked me up good.

StayDead

I'm so gutted trash at this. I feel like I'm getting picked apart by people I can't even see ; (

Might I recommend the RO2/Rising Storm and Rising Storm 2 videos from General Sir Anthony CH Melchett on youtube. I play with him all the time (in the same group called the Russian Resistance) and together if you totalled up all our playtime of RO2 it would total up to over 10,000 hours between us. He puts out a lot of very helpful videos for newer players!

The main tip I could give you is stick to rifleman for now and take things slow. The main role of the rifleman is to get in and take the point on attack and defend the point or the flank on defense. There's no rush to get lots of kills, as long as you can make your way to the point with your squad and listen to what your commander and other experienced players tell you then you'll do great.

RO2/RS/RS2 is all about the objective. Kills/Deaths are not important as long as you're doing the objective and having fun!

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Headshotting people in this game just feels so good, the sound of the the guns, the sound when it hits them in the head, and then they just drop.

I agree that the head shot sound is great. Been playing with the RPG and Grenadier classes and they are so much fun. The RPG is seriously the best I have ever seen in a game. So satisfying when you get a shot on a squad leader and disintegrate them and their squad mates as they spawn in.

MrOogieBoogie

BioShock Infinite is like playing some homeless guy's vivid imagination
I'm colorblind and can't see shit in this game. Can hardly tell friend from foe, It is almost unplayable. How the hell am I supposed to enjoy it?

I'm colorblind and can't see shit in this game. Can hardly tell friend from foe, It is almost unplayable. How the hell am I supposed to enjoy it?

The US and North Vietnamese teams have different running animations. US runs holding their weapons with both hands while the Vietnamese hold it with their right hand while swinging their left hand back and forth as they run. And of course there are the icons that appear of friendly units heads if you aim at them

Erheller

If you see a pith helmet (the flatter ones, kind of looks like a hat), that's definitely a VC. If you see a taller-looking helmet (you know the one I'm talking about), that's an American soldier. Unfortunately not everyone wears a helmet now, but if they are you can tell just by looking at that.

Also, check your map periodically - if you see someone where you know your teammates aren't you're safe to shoot at them.

daxy

To add to the other suggestions above, you can change the color and opacity of the icons that pop up over friendlies in the HUD settings.

Even then, it takes an experienced eye to spot teammates from enemies at a glance. That's always been the case in these games, which is why there's the team kill and forgive mechanic. I've lost count of the number of times I've been shot while doubting whether to shoot or not.

I really dislike the tiebreaker mechanic. It just feels really unrewarding when you bust your ass to win the second round only for the defeat screen to come up due to a difference in team points

StayDead

I really dislike the tiebreaker mechanic. It just feels really unrewarding when you bust your ass to win the second round only for the defeat screen to come up due to a difference in team points

It should be Bo3, but then the issue with that is if it's an imbalanced map one side will get the beneficial side twice. Not only that, the fact it's reliant on teampoints is good in a way, because it benefits the team that actually defends the objective, has good squad leaders and plays properly as a team.

The best outcome is to make it Bo1 and bring in campaign!

Lucifon

Have to admit I was turned off from the beta but I've been having a good time with the final game. It certainly has its issues and is incredibly content bare though (but is a low price).

I've had a bug where the sniper scope just shows a static image rather than what you're looking at making it impossible to use.

I also have a regular bug (I assume it's a bug) where the machine gun style air strike makes an incredibly loud shooting noise in waves as if it's right next to me when it's actually nowhere near me on the map.

Yeah I feel like once a campaign mode is implemented the tie-breaker stuff won't really be an issue. I'm fine with the way it is now but it can be disappointing when you lose by a couple hundred points after a hard fought battle. I do love the "what how did we lose" or "what how did we win" comments after every game that ends in a tie-breaker though.

DaciaJC

Gold Member
I also have a regular bug (I assume it's a bug) where the machine gun style air strike makes an incredibly loud shooting noise in waves as if it's right next to me when it's actually nowhere near me on the map.

That is a bug they're addressing with the upcoming 1.01 patch. Not sure about the sniper scope issue, though.

If you have the horse power, this game benefits greatly from downsampling. Playing at 1080p you get the option of either blurry FXAA or jaggies everywhere in a game where you're watching for the tiniest movements within a shrubbery. With a GTX1080 I can get a near stable 60 at ultra. High settings seem to introduce other issues for me though such as stuttering and longer load times, plus I'd rather play at low with 144hz at 4K downsampled anyway.

Even if you have everything set to low it looks so much better when foilege isn't a jittery mess. Overall it can be quite beautiful despite the janky engine. Pop-in is a major detractor though especially with how it can effect gameplay.

(these are not at low)
19201kzaya.png

19202y4l05.png

19203mabw6.png

19204crbzk.png

19205z7bu1.png

192062iy0u.png
(from steam screenshots so they were .jpg at one point...)

Top Bottom