• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rivers Cuomo, long cool post in his journal

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's a jackass with two great albums and assorted shit and he won't ever get back to his old status as long as he keeps on thinking Pinkerton was a "failure".

My friend is starting to get into music and I saw he had Island in the Sun burned on a mix cd he made, so I thought, maybe I should add some Weezer stuff to the mix cd I was making for him. I dug up the only two Weezer albums I owned and starting listening to them to see what I could possible add. I started off with Pinkerton, that's the first Weezer album I owned. I remember really liking that album, but I wondered if that would still be true today. It's been a long time since I heard it and i would say my musical tastes are more refined now than they were back then. The question is, will I feel bad for once liking this album?

So I turned on the PS2--I like to play games while listening to music, it's like killing two birds with one stone-- turned on the stereo and started listening to the disc. After the disc ended, I found myself not embarrassed or ashamed at all. Time and age has not changed my opinion of the album. I probably appreciate it more now than I did back then.

The green album, I remember listening to it a lot when it was first released. A lot of fans didn't seem to like it much but I don't remember leaning much in one direction or another. It just is what it is, I thought. I should've realized back then that is why it was so crappy. Listening to it right after Pinkerton, it was very apparent how bland and lifeless the green album is.

I guess pulling Pinkerton out of the bargain bin all those years ago wasn’t such a bad idea, and paying full price for The Green album was.

Mason

I think he means Pinkerton was a financial failure. I hope he doesn't actually think the quality of the album is low because it's their best as far as I'm concerned.

Dead

well not really...yet
Mason said:
I think he means Pinkerton was a financial failure. I hope he doesn't actually think the quality of the album is low because it's their best as far as I'm concerned.
from what I know, he does

DjangoReinhardt

Thinks he should have been the one to kill Batman's parents.
I could not tell if my current predicament was just a classic case of an audience lagging behind the development of an artist (as in the case of Bob Dylan when he went electric) or if I had I really “lost something”.

For a guy who writes nothing but unsophisticated, unoriginal three-chord guitar pop, Rivers sure thinks highly of his output.

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Been listening to both Blue and Pinkerton lately. After MUCH deliberation, I'd have to say that Blue is just a tad, just a pinch, just a HAIR better than Pinkerton. Both amazing albums.

I find I am still discovering some incredible shit that Rivers/Weezer has put together. Getting heavy rotation from me at the moment as of late: Fontana, She Who Is Militant, Happy Together (Cover), Jamie, Worry Rock (Cover) , Prodigal Lover, American Girls, I Swear It's True, Sugar Booger.... The list goes on and on. All these unreleased (Save Jamie) demos Are fucking awesome.

If anyone wants to check out some of this stuff, www.weezernation.com has a massive MP3 collection.

DjangoReinhardt said:
For a guy who writes nothing but unsophisticated, unoriginal three-chord guitar pop, Rivers sure thinks highly of his output.
I was thinking to myself after reading his ramblings...so he comes out of his seclusion to write songs like Hash Pipe?

Fatalah

He's a fucking brilliant guy. A rose is beautiful. Is it a simple thing? Yes. Or is it not?

I love Rivers, and I love the way he tackles his music.

Eminem

goddamit, Griese!
Yeah, I hope you guys know he wants his music to sound simple. The guy really is a great writer/guitar player, but he likes to keep the sound simple.

B'z-chan

Banned
From the few times i've talked with Rivers and the group. I came away highly impressed not only by the "family" structure that they have created over the years with each other. But really by how much they dont know about each other. They're so deep in lots of ways. Which is why i think River's try's hard to make the music simple and less complicated. Which seems to be a chalenge for him in the long run. A brilliant person who is just trying to less complicate his life.

And from what i talked to him about pinkerton it was a phase for him nothing more nothing less and he's still very effected by "events" that happened during the phase between Blue and Green albums. This is after a little drinking and him opening up with a few people back stage. Kind of brought a tear to my eye to know how much he really does love Pinkerton. Cause most of you wont really get why he hates it so much, yet we all love it. Its hard to understand.

Anyways Rivers is a cool guy and if you ever get to go backstage or something just talk to man he's really lax and cool.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
Flizzzipper said:
I was thinking to myself after reading his ramblings...so he comes out of his seclusion to write songs like Hash Pipe?
Hahaha, ba-zing!

And I agree -- that whole post seemed really full of self-righteousness, particularly for someone who writes music that, while not especially offensive or terrible, could hardly be called genius...especially considering the amount of tortured angst that he put himself through to write it.

megateto

nomoment said:
Listen. Weezer is cool and all, but isn't 34 a bit too old to be all emo and angsty?

I want to be rich (or at least have a nice little amount of money) to be able to be whatever I want to be, not having to worry about anything.

I always thought that money unleashes the ultimate self.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom