• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rocket League going free to play

After nearly five years, millions of players, and billions of soccar matches played, it's time to talk about the next chapter of Rocket League. The game wouldn't be where it is today without our dedicated and amazing community. Today, we're excited to announce that we're gearing up to make that community even bigger. Beginning later this summer, Rocket League is going free to play!

What does this mean for the Rocket League gameplay you know and love? The core gameplay will remain the same, but we are refining the main menus to make exploring the game easier. Plus, we’re revamping and improving major features like Tournaments and Challenges, and introducing cross-platform progression! Rocket League action on the field will still be the same core, high-octane hybrid of sports and action you love today, and soon, even more players will share that love. That begins with Rocket League's release on its newest platform: the Epic Games Store.

Rocket League will release on the Epic Games Store on PC the same time it goes free to play. This version of the game will be identical to the version found on other platforms, and will feature cross-platform play anywhere you play Rocket League, including between the Epic Games Store and Steam.

Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future.

Anyone who has played Rocket League online before the launch of free to play will be rewarded with Legacy status, which includes:

• All Rocket League-branded DLC released before free to play
  • "Est. 20XX" title that displays the first year you played Rocket League
  • 200+ Common items upgraded to "Legacy" quality
  • Golden Cosmos Boost
  • Dieci-Oro Wheels
  • Huntress Player Banner
In addition, if you've played online before this announcement, you will also receive the Faded Cosmos Boost. Legacy rewards will be granted once the free to play version launches later this summer. Check out the items in the slideshow on our blog!

You may be wondering what will happen to the hard-earned inventory that you've unlocked over the years. Don’t worry, it will still be available to you when free to play goes live! Plus we’re introducing cross-platform progression with free to play, and you'll be able to bring items, Rocket Pass progress, and your Competitive Rank to every platform where you play Rocket League, thanks to an Epic Games Account. There's a lot more to share about that, so stay tuned in the coming months.

There will be plenty more to reveal as we get closer to Rocket League's free to play launch, like new features, content, and the cross-platform progression we mentioned above, so be sure to follow us on Twitter and visit RocketLeague.com for the latest updates. We'd like to thank everyone in our community for your continued support as we approach this milestone, and we're looking forward to introducing our game to a whole new audience!

Last edited:
Per their blog

After nearly five years, millions of players, and billions of soccar matches played, it's time to talk about the next chapter of Rocket League. The game wouldn't be where it is today without our dedicated and amazing community. Today, we're excited to announce that we're gearing up to make that community even bigger. Beginning later this summer, Rocket League is going free to play!

What does this mean for the Rocket League gameplay you know and love? The core gameplay will remain the same, but we are refining the main menus to make exploring the game easier. Plus, we’re revamping and improving major features like Tournaments and Challenges, and introducing cross-platform progression! Rocket League action on the field will still be the same core, high-octane hybrid of sports and action you love today, and soon, even more players will share that love. That begins with Rocket League's release on its newest platform: the Epic Games Store.

Rocket League will release on the Epic Games Store on PC the same time it goes free to play. This version of the game will be identical to the version found on other platforms, and will feature cross-platform play anywhere you play Rocket League, including between the Epic Games Store and Steam.

Once Rocket League goes free to play, anyone who already owns Rocket League on any platform (including Steam) will be able to play and enjoy the game with full support for future updates and features. However, the Steam version will no longer be available to download for new players. To put it simply, wherever you play now (including Steam), you'll still be able to play in the future.

Anyone who has played Rocket League online before the launch of free to play will be rewarded with Legacy status, which includes:

• All Rocket League-branded DLC released before free to play
  • "Est. 20XX" title that displays the first year you played Rocket League
  • 200+ Common items upgraded to "Legacy" quality
  • Golden Cosmos Boost
  • Dieci-Oro Wheels
  • Huntress Player Banner
In addition, if you've played online before this announcement, you will also receive the Faded Cosmos Boost. Legacy rewards will be granted once the free to play version launches later this summer. Check out the items in the slideshow on our blog!

You may be wondering what will happen to the hard-earned inventory that you've unlocked over the years. Don’t worry, it will still be available to you when free to play goes live! Plus we’re introducing cross-platform progression with free to play, and you'll be able to bring items, Rocket Pass progress, and your Competitive Rank to every platform where you play Rocket League, thanks to an Epic Games Account. There's a lot more to share about that, so stay tuned in the coming months.

There will be plenty more to reveal as we get closer to Rocket League's free to play launch, like new features, content, and the cross-platform progression we mentioned above, so be sure to follow us on Twitter and visit RocketLeague.com for the latest updates. We'd like to thank everyone in our community for your continued support as we approach this milestone, and we're looking forward to introducing our game to a whole new audience!

iorek21

Expected this ever since Epic bought Psyonix , removing it from Steam was also very obvious

Ah, well, at least its a fun game despite its toxic community

Sethbacca

Too bad the last major update 3 weeks ish ago made the game basically unplayable for me. The input lag it introduced is ridiculous but apparently not everyone is suffering the issue. I used to play every day but I've pretty much given up on it at this point.

MiguelItUp

Oh no shit? I thought they were already F2P, lmao. Welp, glad they finally did the deed. Definitely feels overdue at this point. Hopefully they can still benefit from it pretty well. I'm sure they well.

teezzy

Banned
Expected this ever since Epic bought Psyonix , removing it from Steam was also very obvious

Ah, well, at least its a fun game despite its toxic community

Damn they took RL off of Steam? I never even noticed

*hugs Steam copy*

Pejo

Gold Member
Ha, Epic Game Store account required to play cross platform it sounds like. RIP in peace. I have more hours in Rocket League than any other game on Steam and I couldn't be more pissed off than when I heard Sweeney got his paws on Psyonix. Compared to a lot of other GaaS devs, I thought they did a reasonably good job and listened to feedback, until the buyout.

I'll keep playing on Steam as long as I can without making an EGS account, I don't even want to be part of their marketing for "now over xxxxx registered users". This is a major bummer for me personally though. Nothing good lasts forever!

Droxcy

The game was tons of fun when released haven't touched in awhile but going F2P lets more people access it. It's a good first install game on a new PC or console.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Cool I guess. More players is a good thing. Will keep playing.

I wonder how this will work for those of us who got it free with PS+ though. It's usually the case that is you have "bought" a game for free through PS+, you can't buy it for real because you already "own it". Okay, so that doesn't matter as long as I'm subscribed to PS+, but what if I end that subscription (I mainly use it for RL)? F2P games don't require it. Will I be able to "buy" the F2P version of the game once my PS+ version stops working?

Last edited:

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Too bad the last major update 3 weeks ish ago made the game basically unplayable for me. The input lag it introduced is ridiculous but apparently not everyone is suffering the issue. I used to play every day but I've pretty much given up on it at this point.

Platform? I haven't experienced anything like that on PS4.

hemo memo

Gold Member
Played the game with relatives when I visit them but didn’t actually buy it or have it as a PS+ and didn’t intend to. Free so eh.. I might give it a chance.

Vawn

Banned
Same. Not a fan and haven't followed it, just always assumed it was free to play.

I'm a huge fan. I actually bought a few cars, something I usually never do, but I felt compelled to give them some money as I play the game pretty often.

Sethbacca

Platform? I haven't experienced anything like that on PS4.

Yeah I'm on PS4. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue but there were a bunch of people on reddit complaining too. I've tried alternate controllers, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, changing from wired to wireless and back.

It just sucks because I really love the game but it feels like I'm playing on dialup even though my ping is great.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Yeah I'm on PS4. It doesn't seem to be a huge issue but there were a bunch of people on reddit complaining too. I've tried alternate controllers, uninstalling and reinstalling the game, changing from wired to wireless and back.

It just sucks because I really love the game but it feels like I'm playing on dialup even though my ping is great.

You haven't accidentally switched your TV from game mode to something else? I know that has happened to me, and it results in very noticeable input lag (in all games, of course).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Ah, so people who paid to play for the last 5 years are given the shaft?

Well, they paid once, not like it was ever a subscription service. It's not an expensive game. (Unless you have bought DLC, rocket passes etc, but that's completely up to you and only gets you cosmetic stuff.)

And as described in the post we will get some bonus items and such that new F2P players won't have.

Last edited:

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Lol who hurt you? How does this give anyone the shaft? Lol get a grip. Some crybaby action

I love the game and gladly bought it on two different systems and have played it for years and years. If I could throw more money there way I would. Maybe I will.

Last edited:

• DO I GET ANYTHING IF I’VE ALREADY BEEN PLAYING ROCKET LEAGUE?
  • Anyone who has played Rocket League online between its release and July 21 will receive the Faded Cosmos Boost and Legacy status, which grants new items including a Golden Cosmos Boost, Dieci-Oro Wheels, Huntress Player Banner, Est. 20XX Title, as well as all past Rocket League-branded DLCs if you don't already own them, and 200+ "Common" items will be upgraded to "Legacy" quality. Items will be granted at the launch of free to play.

• WHAT ARE THE PAST ROCKET LEAGUE-BRANDED DLCS?
  • Rocket League-branded DLC cars:
    • VULCAN
    • TRITON
    • PROTEUS
    • MASAMUNE
    • MARAUDER
    • ESPER
    • AFTERSHOCK
    Rocket League-branded DLC Packs: (NOTE: DLC Packs were added to the base version of Rocket League in December 2019)
    • SUPERSONIC FURY:
      Dominus, Takumi, 6 Decals for both Dominus and Takumi, Brushed Metal Paint, Carbon Fiber Paint, Metallic Pearl Paint, Pearlescent Paint, Wood Paint, Burnout Boost, Nitrous Boost, Cristiano Wheels, Spinner Wheels

• REVENGE OF THE BATTLE-CARS:
      Scarab, Zippy, 6 Decals for both Scarab and Zippy, Toon Glossy Paint, Toon Matte Paint, Toon Wood Paint, Scarab Wheels, Zippy Wheels, Accelerato Boost, Battle-Stars Boost, Cavalier Topper, Locomotive Topper, Pixelated Shades Topper, Shark Fin Topper, Retro Balls Antenna, SARPBC Antenna
    • CHAOS RUN:
      Ripper, Grog, 6 Decals for both Ripper and Grog, Camo Paint, Sun-Damages Paint, Ripper Wheels, Grog Wheels, Sandstorm Boost, Nuts and Bolts Boost, Boombox Topper, Cow Skull Topper, Mohawk Topper, Bomb Pole Antenna, Radioactive Antenna, Retro Ball Antenna

Lol who hurt you? How does this give anyone the shaft? Lol get a grip. Some crybaby action

I love the game and gladly bought it on two different systems and have played it for years and years. If I could throw more money there way I would. Maybe I will.
Because it was a former paid game that went F2P and I own it on 4 platforms? I have every right to not like this decision. "Oh, you bought this game? Here's some worthless cosmetic loot!" stop defending this nonsense. Am I happy for the game? Sure, and I'm still going to support it, because it's awesome, but let paying customers and longtime supporters critique them, it's not the end of the world, I never said I'd stop playing the game.

Don't talk about crybaby nonsense when you can't take opinions you don't like

• DO I GET ANYTHING IF I’VE ALREADY BEEN PLAYING ROCKET LEAGUE?
  • Anyone who has played Rocket League online between its release and July 21 will receive the Faded Cosmos Boost and Legacy status, which grants new items including a Golden Cosmos Boost, Dieci-Oro Wheels, Huntress Player Banner, Est. 20XX Title, as well as all past Rocket League-branded DLCs if you don't already own them, and 200+ "Common" items will be upgraded to "Legacy" quality. Items will be granted at the launch of free to play.

• WHAT ARE THE PAST ROCKET LEAGUE-BRANDED DLCS?
  • Rocket League-branded DLC cars:
    • VULCAN
    • TRITON
    • PROTEUS
    • MASAMUNE
    • MARAUDER
    • ESPER
    • AFTERSHOCK
  • Rocket League-branded DLC Packs: (NOTE: DLC Packs were added to the base version of Rocket League in December 2019)
    • SUPERSONIC FURY:
      Dominus, Takumi, 6 Decals for both Dominus and Takumi, Brushed Metal Paint, Carbon Fiber Paint, Metallic Pearl Paint, Pearlescent Paint, Wood Paint, Burnout Boost, Nitrous Boost, Cristiano Wheels, Spinner Wheels

• REVENGE OF THE BATTLE-CARS:
      Scarab, Zippy, 6 Decals for both Scarab and Zippy, Toon Glossy Paint, Toon Matte Paint, Toon Wood Paint, Scarab Wheels, Zippy Wheels, Accelerato Boost, Battle-Stars Boost, Cavalier Topper, Locomotive Topper, Pixelated Shades Topper, Shark Fin Topper, Retro Balls Antenna, SARPBC Antenna
    • CHAOS RUN:
      Ripper, Grog, 6 Decals for both Ripper and Grog, Camo Paint, Sun-Damages Paint, Ripper Wheels, Grog Wheels, Sandstorm Boost, Nuts and Bolts Boost, Boombox Topper, Cow Skull Topper, Mohawk Topper, Bomb Pole Antenna, Radioactive Antenna, Retro Ball Antenna

Ah, so nothing. A $20 game that gave you a dozen cars at launch is now F2P and you're given a few extra toppers and tires. Nice, I'll wait till I actually see the content before I judge it for real.

But it's mostly content I already have. I'd love to get a good chunk of premium DLC items that are already in the game and be required to pay for the Pass in future updates. Am I entitled to that? Maybe not, but it's an idea.

Last edited:

Sethbacca

You haven't accidentally switched your TV from game mode to something else? I know that has happened to me, and it results in very noticeable input lag (in all games, of course).

No, I checked that as well :( It's annoying the hell out of me. It honestly may have been fixed at this point. I last tried it last week after I finished TLoU2 before I got Tsushima. I'll have to give it another go and see if it's resolved itself at this point.

Because it was a former paid game that went F2P and I own it on 4 platforms? I have every right to not like this decision. "Oh, you bought this game? Here's some worthless cosmetic loot!" stop defending this nonsense. Am I happy for the game? Sure, and I'm still going to support it, because it's awesome, but let paying customers and longtime supporters critique them, it's not the end of the world, I never said I'd stop playing the game.

Don't talk about crybaby nonsense when you can't take opinions you don't like

Ah, so nothing. A $20 game that gave you a dozen cars at launch is now F2P and you're given a few extra toppers and tires. Nice, I'll wait till I actually see the content before I judge it for real.

Yeah its not much for those of us like myself that bought it on all the platforms.

I by far have the most hours on PC but as my luck went I have some fairly cool stuff spread out on all the platforms so afraid I am going to lose some of that stuff.

Yeah its not much for those of us like myself that bought it on all the platforms.

I by far have the most hours on PC but as my luck went I have some fairly cool stuff spread out on all the platforms so afraid I am going to lose some of that stuff.
Not to be rude, I'm just confused, but why reply to my comment if we agree?

There is some nonsense going on with these devs, I'm sure. I guess saying we got shafted is somewhat true, then.

Well, they paid once, not like it was ever a subscription service. It's not an expensive game. (Unless you have bought DLC, rocket passes etc, but that's completely up to you and only gets you cosmetic stuff.)

And as described in the post we will get some bonus items and such that new F2P players won't have.

Bought the game twice, and own it on 4 platforms for cross play purposes, what so I get? Not enough in my opinion. Is it enough to stop playing? Lol no, it's a great little wonky game. Am I entitled to express my concerns? I think we all are.

Last edited:

Grinchy

Banned
I wonder what this would mean for the potential for a sequel. It would have been really cool to see an extremely high visuals sequel with the new Unreal engine on PS5.

I wonder if they could do a crazy thing where the arena sizes, hitboxes, and physics were all exactly the same so you could actually buy the sequel but everyone still plays together. That'd be a weird and cool way to do it.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
I wonder what this would mean for the potential for a sequel. It would have been really cool to see an extremely high visuals sequel with the new Unreal engine on PS5.

I wonder if they could do a crazy thing where the arena sizes, hitboxes, and physics were all exactly the same so you could actually buy the sequel but everyone still plays together. That'd be a weird and cool way to do it.

I don't think there will be a sequel, there will just be Rocket League for PS5 (with upgraded visuals, of course).

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Not to be rude, I'm just confused, but why reply to my comment if we agree?

There is some nonsense going on with these devs, I'm sure. I guess saying we got shafted is somewhat true, then.

Bought the game twice, and own it on 4 platforms for cross play purposes, what so I get? Not enough in my opinion. Is it enough to stop playing? Lol no, it's a great little wonky game. Am I entitled to express my concerns? I think we all are.

I do agree it's a bit crap that everyone who has ever played the game gets all that DLC for free, while those of us who already paid for that get nothing. But alas.

Last edited:

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Love this game and it's easily my most played game of all time. Going free to play should be good. Hopefully boosts player numbers for some modes.

I'm probably gonna delete the game from Steam and install it through Epic.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
Anyone know when this goes free? On fam vacation with my Switch and want to play but I can’t find out when it’s coming out just “this summer”

Top Bottom