• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rockstar look to be going big on NPC AI this generation - Praise be!!!

Cyberpunkd

- someone who’s never played a PS2 game in their life and got really excited after watching that one nakeyjakey video to jump on the bandwagon and regurgitate the same tired false narrative.

Cringe.
You are right, PS2 games had better systems and controls than RDR2.

- someone who’s never played a PS2 game in their life and got really excited after watching that one nakeyjakey video to jump on the bandwagon and regurgitate the same tired false narrative.

Cringe.
What are you a Rockstar cock sucker who regurgitate the same defence argument at anyone who dares point out their stupid and outdated mission design and downright BORING gameplay? And just because some e-celeb happened to mention these well known criticisms that's been in discussion for YEARS doesn't invalidate my point.

And no little Timmy i am not "someone who’s never played a PS2 game in their life and got really excited after watching that one nakeyjakey video to jump on the bandwagon and regurgitate the same tired false narrative" so kindly fuck off back under Dan Houser's desk, Thank you.

MeteorVII

What are you a Rockstar cock sucker who regurgitate the same defence argument at anyone who dares point out their stupid and outdated mission design and downright BORING gameplay?
What’s so boring and outdated about its design?

And just because some e-celeb happened to mention these well known criticisms that's been in discussion for YEARS
Show a single thread where any of this was ever in discussion before that dumbfuck video.

Have you played RDR2? Multiple presses and holding shoulder buttons for item selection? RDR2 can be many things, but the control scheme is atrocious.
So...kinda like every other game that has item selection?

And you have multiple presses because there are so many different functions. It’s all streamlined so you don’t have to configure anything or go into menus they are all shortcutted into the main controls.

“You might be aiming at someone to greet them, only to accidentally pull a weapon on them.”

That actually doesn’t happen if you’re not retarded, believe it or not!

Last edited:
What’s so boring and outdated about its design?

Show a single thread where any of this was ever in discussion before that dumbfuck video.

1- Cluncky and unresponsive controls, mashing X was acceptable in the PS2 era but it’s passe by today's standards.
2- missions that can only be done one way which is unacceptable when you call want your game to be an open world sand box.
3-missions where it's just ride to see a cutscene.
4- shooting is unfun and it's a huge issue when it's a central mechanic of the games and you are the company that made the awesome shooting of Max Payne 3!

I could go on and on but the point is Ubisoft has LONG since surpassed R* in the open world space, and R* writing and satire isn't anything special by today's standards, really how many times did Rockstar used the same character archtypes in their games? I first noticed all of this back in 2010 when RDR cameout and i wasn't having any fun with this game the came in and won all these awards and i was scratching my head thinking there are much better games released in 2010 with better gameplay and stories!

MarlboroRed

NPC interactions are the best thing about Rockstar titles since GTA IV. RDR2 was the first true step up they've done since.
Good to hear they are doubling down on their key strength.

Still hope they'd license out Euphoria to other studios, though.

Cyberpunkd

And you have multiple presses because there are so many different functions. It’s all streamlined so you don’t have to configure anything or go into menus they are all shortcutted into the main controls.
Ah yes, the immortal argument “It’s by design, the game is just so complex”. You know what? Make it less complex, like hundreds of other games.

MeteorVII

Ah yes, the immortal argument “It’s by design, the game is just so complex”. You know what? Make it less complex, like hundreds of other games.
I’m sorry your chimp brain isn’t able to comprehend the same button having more than one functionality, but RDR2 isn’t just complex for no reason. It needed to be complex for narrative purposes.

1- Cluncky and unresponsive controls, mashing X was acceptable in the PS2 era but it’s passe by today's standards.
What’s wrong with mashing X?

90% of the time you have to conserve stamina anyway, so having to put in that little extra effort to run or go faster incentivises playing in a more relaxed and balanced fashion.

2- missions that can only be done one way which is unacceptable when you call want your game to be an open world sand box.
I don’t think you know what an open world sandbox means, to be perfectly honest.

Having missions play out in a linear fashion has nothing to do with the actual open world simulation.

At least the game doesn’t pretend to have multiple pathways or outcomes based on your actions like 99% of games on the market right now that don’t mean jack shit or enhance the experience in any way, shape or form... *cough* cyberpunk *cough*
Name one mission that’s like that.

4- shooting is unfun and it's a huge issue when it's a central mechanic of the games and you are the company that made the awesome shooting of Max Payne 3!
How is it unfun, exactly?

I could go on and on but the point is Ubisoft has LONG since surpassed R* in the open world space, and R* writing and satire isn't anything special by today's standards,
There was nothing satirical about RDR2.

really how many times did Rockstar used the same character archtypes in their games?
First of all: they don’t. Like, just factually they do not.

Secondly, even if they did, what would be wrong with that? Archetypes exist for a reason.

I first noticed all of this back in 2010 when RDR cameout and i wasn't having any fun with this game the came in and won all these awards and i was scratching my head thinking there are much better games released in 2010 with better gameplay and stories!
You are obviously in the minority on that and you can’t even explain any of your points.

Last edited:
I’m sorry your chimp brain isn’t able to comprehend the same button having more than one functionality, but RDR2 isn’t just complex for no reason. It needed to be complex for narrative purposes.

What’s wrong with mashing X?

90% of the time you have to conserve stamina anyway, so having to put in that little extra effort to run or go faster incentivises playing in a more relaxed and balanced fashion.

I don’t think you know what an open world sandbox means, to be perfectly honest.

Having missions play out in a linear fashion has nothing to do with the actual open world simulation.

At least the game doesn’t pretend to have multiple pathways or outcomes based on your actions like 99% of games on the market right now that don’t mean jack shit or enhance the experience in any way, shape or form... *cough* cyberpunk *cough*

Name one mission that’s like that.

How is it unfun, exactly?

There was nothing satirical about RDR2.

First of all: they don’t. Like, just factually they do not.

Secondly, even if they did, what would be wrong with that? Archetypes exist for a reason.

You are obviously in the minority on that and you can’t even explain any of your points.
goal-posts-moving.jpg

I'm talking about R* in general but sure keep moving those goal posts, we'll agree to disagree without you coming into everythread attacking anyone who dares bad mouth R*, and by the way the mission that you ride and see a cutscene is in many of their games but since you bought it up RDR2 has a mission where you deliver a message to the hillbilly girl from the guy that loves her from of rival family and all you do is ride and """"" sneak""""" to her location, watch the cutscene, ride back to the guy and voila the mission is done! l sure enjoyed that!

MeteorVII

goal-posts-moving.jpg

I'm talking about R* in general but sure keep moving those goal posts, we'll agree to disagree without you coming into everythread attacking anyone who dares bad mouth R*,
I was literally criticising R* in a thread before this but ok.
and by the way the mission that you ride and see a cutscene is in many of their games but since you bought it up RDR2 has a mission where you deliver a message to the hillbilly girl from the guy that loves her from of rival family and all you do is ride and sneak to her location, watch the cutscene, ride back to the guy and voila the mission is done! l sure enjoyed that!
Right, so you did more than just ride. Congrats on rendering your own point completely moot.

Perrott

Gold Member

I could go on and on but the point is Ubisoft has LONG since surpassed R* in the open world space, and R* writing and satire isn't anything special by today's standards, really how many times did Rockstar used the same character archtypes in their games? I first noticed all of this back in 2010 when RDR cameout and i wasn't having any fun with this game the came in and won all these awards and i was scratching my head thinking there are much better games released in 2010 with better gameplay and stories!
I don't know why you people want to turn the game into just another Ubisoft/Sony style open-world action/stealth title about hiding in high grass and stabbing people in the back.

There are a ton of people (tens of millions actually) who enjoy the "Rockstar formula", so that kind of proves that there isn't just one way of doing open world games and that RDR2 is not doing anything "wrong" but actually doing it's own thing.

I don't know why you people want to turn the game into just another Ubisoft/Sony style open-world action/stealth title about hiding in high grass and stabbing people in the back.

There are a ton of people (tens of millions actually) who enjoy the "Rockstar formula", so that kind of proves that there isn't just one way of doing open world games and that RDR2 is not doing anything "wrong" but actually doing it's own thing.
Here's the thing Ubisoft/Sony formula you're looking down on "borrowed" their formula from R* but they improved it through the generations, the stealth and hiding behind cover isn't cluncky shit where you're glued to the cover and can't move without it accidentally taking you out of cover, and the stealth in Watch Dogs 1 is Miles ahead of anything in GTA4-RDR2! Hiding in tall grass is ass but at least it's functional and is supported by other mechanics to enhance it like the hacking in Watch Dogs for example, which is more than i could say for RDR2/GTA5 barebones barely working stealth mechanics, FFS BOTW has better stealth!

It's clear to anyone who actually playes a wide variety of genres and games that R* has been focusing on presentation and MTX and less on the actual meat and bones of their games, I dare anyone here to find the differences/evolution in shooting/riding/stealth mechanics between RDR (2010) and RDR2 (2018).

I'll wait.

Last edited:

kyussman

AI is the only aspect of gaming that really excites me tbh.Prettier graphics and more pixels are great,but it's more often than not silly AI that pulls me out of a game more than anything.

Woggleman

At the end of the day everybody knows how Rockstar games are and judging by their success many people like them that way. If that formula is not to your liking then play another game. Not being snarky or anything but playing a Rockstar game and wanting arcadey controls is like going to a pizza place and ordering fried rice.

Dampf

Hope Rockstar makes it Next gen only and goes all in. They could use machine learning for NPCs.

xiseerht

Probable around GTA 8 we will be able to go into every single building and every single floor in that building. That is just insane to think about .

Corgi1985

Banned
RDR2 is a bad game to play. Hey you strayed from the extremely narrow mission pathway?? INSTANT FAIL FOR YOU. It's so beyond terrible that anyone defending it looks like a shill. As a game to watch it is ok at best. 6/10.

Regardless of new tech coming , they still make the best open world games IMO my only disappointments in them is their lack of releases and the heavy focus on the online side of things.

Great games take time , however I wish they had one or two teams making something that isn’t GTA or Red Dead. A Bully sequel or new IP for example.

Kumomeme

most staggering matter is i hope western devs like rockstar would improve their animation. made them feel responsive and weighty. not floaty and chore to play.

no use if has realistic animation but it such a hassle to play when player hold the controller themself.

MeteorVII

RDR2 is a bad game to play. Hey you strayed from the extremely narrow mission pathway?? INSTANT FAIL FOR YOU.
It’s almost as if...that’s literally what “missions” are! They are, by definition; set pathways for you to follow.

Shocking, I know!

It's so beyond terrible that anyone defending it looks like a shill.
Better than looking like a complete idiot that can’t fathom how missions in open-world games are used to tell stories, and how linear they are has no bearing on the actual quality of the game if the stories those missions tell are good and engaging.

Perrott

Gold Member
Here's the thing Ubisoft/Sony formula you're looking down on "borrowed" their formula from R* but they improved it through the generations, the stealth and hiding behind cover isn't cluncky shit where you're glued to the cover and can't move without it accidentally taking you out of cover, and the stealth in Watch Dogs 1 is Miles ahead of anything in GTA4-RDR2! Hiding in tall grass is ass but at least it's functional and is supported by other mechanics to enhance it like the hacking in Watch Dogs for example, which is more than i could say for RDR2/GTA5 barebones barely working stealth mechanics, FFS BOTW has better stealth!

It's clear to anyone who actually playes a wide variety of genres and games that R* has been focusing on presentation and MTX and less on the actual meat and bones of their games, I dare anyone here to find the differences/evolution in shooting/riding/stealth mechanics between RDR (2010) and RDR2 (2018).

I'll wait.
You are talking as if GTA and RDR games were promoted as action/stealth open world games when in reality they are not. The "stealth" mechanics in those games are only there to add variety to a certain couple of missions or encounters throughout the main story, but they are not meant as a way to get through all of the game.

Again, stop asking the game to be something it doesn't need and certainly doesn't want to be.

And regarding the differences and evolution in shooting/riding/stealth between RDR and RDR2, well, that bit of your comment does make you look like a troll because the differences are obvious to anyone who has played the games. And not only that, asking that kind of thing it's as stupid as saying "gameplay and mechanics are the same in TLOU2 compared to the original game" because everyone, even the haters of it's story, know that's not remotely true.

mortal

Gold Member
Thank you!

Innovations in AI, physics, and generally more interactivity in game worlds is what I desire to see most this gen.
Leave it to Rockstar to show everyone how it's done.

Although I hope their mission design gets reworked to organically weave into the open world, sandbox design.
I would agree with the criticism that there's a discrepancy between two styles in their past open world titles, including Red Dead Redemption 2.

And regarding the differences and evolution in shooting/riding/stealth between RDR and RDR2, well, that bit of your comment does make you look like a troll because the differences are obvious to anyone who has played the games. And not only that, asking that kind of thing it's as stupid as saying "gameplay and mechanics are the same in TLOU2 compared to the original game" because everyone, even the haters of it's story, know that's not remotely true.
Uh huh so you did not play the games back to back or close to eachother, i did in both accounts, TLOUP2 improved A LOT on part 1 in mechanics and feel to the point I'd call the second best TPS shooting around (second only to MP3), where as RDR2 shooting mechanics are EXACTLY the same! RDR shooting was already boring and uninspired back in 2010 a year in WHICH TPS games such as Vanquish, Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake amoung others were released and all of them had better shooting and gun feel!

It's OK to love these games I've nothing against it's fans BUT do you actually want R* to improve and evolve their gameplay instead of using THE SAME EXACT systems and mechanics but with different settings or are you fine with leaving everything's the same?

Perrott

Gold Member
Uh huh so you did not play the games back to back or close to eachother, i did in both accounts, TLOUP2 improved A LOT on part 1 in mechanics and feel to the point I'd call the second best TPS shooting around (second only to MP3), where as RDR2 shooting mechanics are EXACTLY the same! RDR shooting was already boring and uninspired back in 2010 a year in WHICH TPS games such as Vanquish, Mass Effect 2, Alan Wake amoung others were released and all of them had better shooting and gun feel!

It's OK to love these games I've nothing against it's fans BUT do you actually want R* to improve and evolve their gameplay instead of using THE SAME EXACT systems and mechanics but with different settings or are you fine with leaving everything's the same?
I finished my replay of RDR just a week before RDR2's launch and trust me when I tell you that the gunplay feels completely different in RDR2. Not only it has more weight to it but the fact that you have to press the R2 button again in between every shot (sorry, I don't know how do you call that certain action in english) completely changes the pace of the action.

If shooting mechanics in RDR were Half-Life 2, then shooting in RDR2 it's Killzone 2* on steroids.

*Killzone 2 is the Dark Souls of first-person shooters. Kinda.

I finished my replay of RDR just a week before RDR2's launch and trust me when I tell you that the gunplay feels completely different in RDR2. Not only it has more weight to it but the fact that you have to press the R2 button again in between every shot (sorry, I don't know how do you call that certain action in english) completely changes the pace of the action.

If shooting mechanics in RDR were Half-Life 2, then shooting in RDR2 it's Killzone 2* on steroids.

We'll agree to disagree then, have a good day/night friend.

Woggleman

Why is it that whenever somebody likes a game that another person does like they are a shill? Everybody has different tastes and opinions.

D.Final

Banned

Holy shit!
Killzone 2

Top Bottom