• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue Galaxy details (lots of details)

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/08/03/news_6130278.html

Pretty much every hardcore gamer in Japan knows game studio Level 5 by now. It rose to national prominence last year for developing the latest installment in Square Enix's best-selling Dragon Quest role-playing series. The studio is once again hoping to heat up the holiday season with Rogue Galaxy, a new sci-fi role-playing game to be published by Sony Computer Entertainment. In the latest issue of Famitsu, Level 5 president and Rogue Galaxy producer Akihiro Hino revealed the first details on the game, which is slated for release on the PlayStation 2 in Japan this December.

As the main character, Jester Rogue, players will travel the galaxy and its numerous planets with various party members. Images from Famitsu show that each of the planets in Rogue Galaxy has a unique theme. For instance, one planet is overrun by forests, and another heavily populated with mechs. The screens also showed planets containing cities filled with modern-looking skyscrapers, endless stretches of desert, and a pastoral countryside with windmills.

Level 5 is confident that the total volume of areas to explore in Rogue Galaxy will surpass any RPG to date. When Hino first announced Rogue Galaxy during Sony's presentation last month, he revealed that the game has been the most massive project that his company has worked on, including Dragon Quest VIII. Although Level 5 has only shown off pictures of a single region for each planet thus far, president Hino comments that there will be multiple locations for players to visit on each planet. Hino explained that he originally intended to feature a "virtually uncountable number of planets" in Rogue Galaxy, but he decided to reduce the number of planets, adding multiple areas to the existing planets instead.

Hino also commented during last month's presentation that Rogue Galaxy will be his greatest challenge to the RPG genre. One goal of Rogue Galaxy is to implement a feature no other RPG running on disc-based media has been able to accomplish thus far: zero loading time. Technically, Rogue Galaxy will be reading data from a disc, but Level 5 is hoping to eliminate any recognizable loading time when players enter a building or move to a different planet. Hino told Famitsu that he understands the difficulty in developing a seamlessly playing game since he was originally a programmer, but it was something that he always wanted to attempt.

Rogue Galaxy's graphics feature a unique mix of anime-styled, cel-shaded 3D for the characters and detailed, realistic 3D for the backgrounds. Hino says that Level 5 has been using anime-styled graphics since 2001's Dark Cloud, emphasizing that his company knows the best ways to handle the technique.

The main character in Rogue Galaxy is an energetic, short-haired 17-year-old boy named Jester Rogue. Born and raised on a desert planet named Rosa, Jester has always dreamt of flying out into space. That dream becomes a reality when a famous space pirate named Dorgengore recruits him into his group. The huge sword strapped to his back belies Jester's gentle nature, and a birthmark on the side of his face is said to be a key point in the game's storyline.

Rogue Galaxy will feature a total of eight possible party members. Three of the characters, Kisara, Zegram, and Luluka, were also revealed in Famitsu. Kisara is a 17-year-old girl and a bit of a tomboy, which is understandable since she's actually Dorgengore's daughter. Zegram, a pirate with medium-long hair, unshaven face, and a red eye patch, is said to be a troublemaker amongst his crew of pirates. Luluka is a strong female warrior from the forest planet Juraika, adept at using a bow and arrow.

Hino commented that the four characters revealed thus far are all human, but other species will be included in the game. Pictures from cutscenes showed some other races in Rogue Galaxy's world, including fish-like people, robotic characters, a feline admiral, and a purple ogreish being. Hino says that although Rogue Galaxy's storyline is serious, the variety of races will give it a mood that's easy for kids to get into.

Battles in Rogue Galaxy progress in real time, and are fought with a party of three members. The player will control a character of their choice, while the other two characters will be controlled by the computer. The player will be able to give basic orders to their party members, which will be important when fighting against bosses. Each party member fights with two unique weapons, giving the game a total of 16 unique weapons. Rogue Galaxy will also feature a battle support system similar to Final Fantasy VII's materia system. The player will be able to collect items that can be placed like a puzzle on a board, and doing so will allow their characters to gain new abilities.

As has become standard for a product by Level 5, Rogue Galaxy will include mini-game elements. According to Hino, the player will be able to capture certain creatures on one planet and use them to play a game similar to chess. While Hino didn't reveal details on how the mini-game will play, he said that it will be fully-featured, and players will be able to collect and level up their game piece creatures.

Rogue Galaxy will also feature a new "invention" system like that of Dark Cloud 2. Players will be able to obtain their own "factory" at a certain point in the game, which will allow them to assemble a production line and produce products.

mutsu

There wasn't really any load times in DQ7 (PS) and DQ8 (PS2)...

Largest RPG to date? Interesting!!! DQ7 had me playing 120 hours.... wow anything more than that is unimaginable.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Quick Sony! Buy Level 5!

How do they do it?

WTF? Its THIS YEAR? :D :D :D

Ironclad

Their largest RPG to date? Damn, that sounds exciting. Being able to assemble a production line sounds pretty cool too. I'm interested to learn more of the chess mini-game, especially if it's going to be fully-featured.

Wario64

works for Gamestop (lol)
i rarely buy rpgs, but i will definitely buy this one. aiming for no load times. biggest project, even bigger then DW8, lots of worlds, real time battles, invention system

plus the trailer kicked all kinds of ass. btw, did gamespot remove the trailer or something? i cant find it

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
I'll bite, the battle system sounds much better than Dark Cloud 2 and the areas actually sound very interesting. If it’s a marked improvement over that one then I can’t wait. This is their biggest project yet and I hope they pull it off.

Biggest RPG to date? Somehow I doubt they will even come close to what Morrowind could offer (500+ hours etc) but compared to other console only titles I'll believe them.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
I'll bite, the battle system sounds much better than Dark Cloud 2 and the areas actually sound very interesting. If it’s a marked improvement over that one then I can’t wait.

Biggest RPG to date? Somehow I doubt they will even come close to what Morrowind could offer (500+ hours etc) but compared to other console only titles I'll believe them.

Yeah, I was thinking that. Oblivion and Morrowind are probably the sole RPG types I could think of that could possibly put the lie to such a claim. There's so much gameplay there.

Also, Dark Cloud 2 is life.

Jonnyram

It's incredibly hard to believe that they are making a game bigger than DQ8, but if so, sign me up! I just hope it is as much fun to play.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Mrbob said:
Best RPG of this generation.

Daddy with keep the seat warm until Rogue Galaxy is ready.

224328.jpg

But all of this sounds amazing. I'm already sold, Day One purchase!

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
It's incredibly hard to believe that they are making a game bigger than DQ8, but if so, sign me up! I just hope it is as much fun to play.

How big, in pure gameplay, was DQ8? I mean, let's say you're an above average gamer who is intent on completing every sidequest, maxing out your characters, etc. How long would that take you? I know Scarlet took months with the game, but I was just wondering how big it was. I didn't realize DQ8 was that big of a game.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Shit, so many freaking RPGs in the span of one year, how the hell will I have time?

Ha ha unfortunately you caught me before my edit. After I hit send I completely forgot about my last line, which is an affront to English grammer.

Rogue Galaxy for the win! FORGET DARK CLOUD 2.

Amir0x

Banned
TekunoRobby said:
Shit, so many freaking RPGs in the span of one year, how the hell will I have time?

Ha ha unfortunately you caught me before my edit. After I hit send I completely forgot about my last line, which is an affront to English grammer.

I'll edit it out for you <3

TekunoRobby said:
Rogue Galaxy for the win! FORGET DARK CLOUD 2.

I would die before forgetting Dark Cloud 2!

mutsu

How big is the team at Level 5? I am just amazed how quickly they are developing these large-scale games... I mean DQ8 was released end of last year, and they are now planning to release Rogue Galaxy, which they claim to be BIGGER than DQ8, just 1 year after? Efficient...

Jonnyram

Amir0x said:
How big, in pure gameplay, was DQ8? I mean, let's say you're an above average gamer who is intent on completing every sidequest, maxing out your characters, etc. How long would that take you? I know Scarlet took months with the game, but I was just wondering how big it was. I didn't realize DQ8 was that big of a game.
I'm fairly confident we're talking 100 hours+ for full on completion. I'm over 60 hours in and still have quite a bit to do, but I avoided a lot of side stuff too.

Mrbob

They must have multiple teams. They had the Rogue Galaxy teaser picture on their website for a long time...before DQ8 was finished.

I can't wait to get ahold of DQ8. :D

Amir0x

Banned
Jonnyram said:
I'm fairly confident we're talking 100 hours+ for full on completion. I'm over 60 hours in and still have quite a bit to do, but I avoided a lot of side stuff too.

Ah. Dark Cloud 2 is a pretty big game too, probably 80-100 hours for 100% completion. Seems like a trend with Level 5 lately, developing these massive RPGs.

I really can't wait to see what they do with next-gen.

mutsu

Hmm... Does that mean Rogue Galaxy will suck out 200 hours of my life?

One side of me hopes so, but another side hopes not... 200 precious hours!!!

Shouta

DQ8 took me like 50-60 hours with a lot of exploration to complete. Took another 5-10 on top of that or so hours to get the best ending in the game. I did almost everything in the game except a lot of alchemy stuff because that took too long and was a bit annoying to be honest. So realistically, if you're going straight through with minimal exploration, it'd probably take you 40-50 hours to finish.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions
Shouta said:
DQ8 took me like 50-60 hours with a lot of exploration to complete. Took another 5-10 on top of that or so hours to get the best ending in the game. I did almost everything in the game except a lot of alchemy stuff because that took too long and was a bit annoying to be honest. So realistically, if you're going straight through with minimal exploration, it'd probably take you 40-50 hours to finish.

You played 7? (not to derail the thread) but how would you compare the overal experience to 7?

mutsu

Suikoguy said:
You played 7? (not to derail the thread) but how would you compare the overal experience to 7?

My own little comment comparing 7 and 8...

I liked 7 better to be honest... the overall experience seems to be more "solid", if you know what I mean. It just feels that the adventure isn't "stretched" out, every moment of the game you feel like you are progressing. Sometimes in 8 I feel that they put this and that into the game for the sake of making it longer...

Shouta

Suikoguy said:

DQ8 is a billion times more approachable and playable than DQ7 is. Just about the only thing DQ7 has over DQ8 is a longer quest and the job system which DQ8 does away with.

Suikoguy

One thing about level 5, they tend to annouce their games closer to launch. Meanwhile other games are annouced sometimes 1 to 2 years ahead of time.. or in some cases far longer (i'm looking at you DNF).

I actually kinda prefer it that way.

Oh, and thanks Mutu and Shouta. I was gonna pick it up regardless, however I was just curious.

Mrbob

Those of you living in Japan, a question. Do you think this game will sell? Dark Cloud 2 was critically acclaimed but only sold around 250k in Jspan. With such a big game I would guess Level 5 and SCEI would want much more for Rogue Galaxy.

Suikoguy

Mrbob said:
Those of you living in Japan, a question. Do you think this game will sell? Dark Cloud 2 was critically acclaimed but only sold around 250k in Jspan. With such a big game I would guess Level 5 and SCEI would want much more for Rogue Galaxy.

I don't live in japan, but I think its partially beacuse

-Dark Cloud 1 was rather subpar..
-Level 5 was still relativly unknown
-Level 5 had yet to make DQ8

I don't know if it will sell a million, but I expect it to double Dark Cloud 2's sales, if not triple.

Hino explained that he originally intended to feature a "virtually uncountable number of planets" in Rogue Galaxy, but he decided to reduce the number of planets.

Now that's marketing folks.
Level-5 capable of creating an uncountable number of planets on PS2

duckroll

MidgarBlowedUp said:

I don't see how that's unlikely considering their first two games on the PS2 were basically random-generation dungeon crawlers. :D

teiresias

MidgarBlowedUp said:

C'mon Level-5, move this game to PS3 and make it "an uncountable number of low-poly planets that all look and animate the same"!!!! :D

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Wow, sounds real fantastic! I've been waiting forever for another game where you explore space and the different planets. Sounds like what a new PS should be like... Even though the characters sound just like Arcadia ripoffs. A tomboyish girl, an old pirate with an eye patch, a guy who dreams of travelling into space... shit man, can't we be a bit more original :p

Still, Dark Cloud 2 fucking rocked and I love space exploration in RPGs, so I've got some real high hopes for this one. So many good RPGs coming out!!

That just JUMPED up my wanted list.

Huge gameworld. Multiple planets. Realtime battles. No load times. Boardgame minigame. Invention system. LEVEL 5, I LOVES YOU!

NotMSRP said:
How would one create an uncountable number of planets?
With a random planet/dungeon creator.

It's not like there needs to be more than one planet, anyway, going by the description of the planets. Forest planet, mech planet, city planet, desert planet, etc. Please. Just replace the word "planet" with "country" or "town" and you get the same thing.

erefen

Reading the planet descriptions, I just hope we're not stuck for half the game on some godforsaken 16th century medieval kingdom planet like Star Ocean 2 & 3 (to a lesser degree, but still). Otherwise, this sounds interesting.

Top Bottom