• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rogue One Reviews & Impressions (Spoiler Tags Required)

Status
Not open for further replies.

spelen

Callback?

I dont agree on your first point but i agree on the second.

I have high hopes for EP8.

callback....poor choice of words. i think the narrative being similar to a certain extent while obviously different in others was appropriate only because so many ppl had never seen a new hope. so to serve both groups (old vs new fans) i think it was the best choice. imagine if the movie was a dud (BVS level dud) any smart studio cannot afford to do that on it's first movie such a large franchise.

Quick

Banned
Quick thoughts. I laid it out in more detail in the OT - spoilers of course.

Characters were likeable. While the movie moved at a fast pace, it didn't hit you over the head with "FAMILY" like Diablo in Suicide Squad lol. Hope they get a comics run.

Story is straightforward. Nothing fancy, I can almost just write it up like an It's Always Sunny episode title - "The Gang steals the Death Star plans" (Haven't actually seen It's Always Sunny). It really works for me. I see this as A New Hope Part 1 and Episode IV is Part 2. This is how a prequel should be.

Giacchino score is straight up Star Wars. Not an imitation John Williams, but more of his pieces with traces of Williams. It's not quite the same way he scored Star Trek and Speed Racer, where each series' theme is a prominent piece added into his own, but Williams' tracks kind of sneaks in.

Angel_DvA

My actual ranking of the movies:

Empire Strike Back > A New Hope > Rogue One > Return Of The Jedi > The Force Awakens > Revenge Of The Sith > The Phantom Menace > Clone Wars.

Bronx-Man

Banned
I had a similar experience recently as well. I went to a high school reunion and it was just such a blatant nostalgia grab. All of my old friends were there. I was like, what this fuck is this shit?

They plastered the name of my high school everywhere - talk about embarrassing - and just kept pounding us over the head with this sentimental bullshit.

And in the back of mind I was thinking, maybe this isn't a complete travesty, maybe I can express a reasonable amount of dissatisfaction that might be more commensurate with the experience, but, hell no, I absolutely had to let everyone know that this was one of the worst experiences of my life. And fuck all of those people who seemed to enjoy it.
I own A New Hope at my house. If I want to watch A New Hope, I will watch A New Hope.

It's pretty clearly better than ROTJ. You might need to go watch it again; nostalga is a helluva drug. RO is clearly top 3. Just a matter of where you put it now.
I've watched it a million times and a lot of them recently and I still believe it gets a bum rap. Luke's story post Jabba's palace is ESB level stuff.

I wouldn't put RO anywhere near ESB or ANH though. Those are 2 of the best movies ever made.

Quick

Banned
For those of you amused by Giacchino's pun-laden cue titles, he released the original titles before Disney presumably ordered him to cut it out. Here they are, spoiler-tagged (just in case although there's nothing notably spoiley).

A Krennic Condition
Jyn and Scare It
Jyncarcerated
Going to See Saw
That New Death Star Smell
Jedha Call Saw
When Ambush Comes to Shove
Erso Facto
Go Do, That Eadu, That You Do, So Well
Have a Choke and a Smile
Erso in Vain
Takes One to Rogue One
World's Worst Vacation Destination
Scarif Tactics
Bazed and Confused
Switch Hunt
Transmission Impossible
Live and Let Jedi

This is good. This is really good.

I don't even care if it's real or not. God damn.

Mr Cola

Brothas With Attitude / The Wrong Brotha to Fuck Wit / Die Brotha Die / Brothas in Paris
But where is Rey?

The whole film im wondering where is Rey, did she die?

Altazor

Just came back from watching it.

Jesus fuck that third act. That ending. No words. I was pretty much in tears - my friends too. My god.

Those last 30 or 40 minutes alone are better than the prequel trilogy. Hell, this is pretty much the prequel I never knew I wanted until I watched it.

And to the guy that said earlier in this thread that we're not going to be able to see ANH the same way after this - you're right, my friend.

BillyJack

Banned
I grew up with the OT aswell, my favorite SW movie is RoTS and I think TFA is one of the more embarrassing cash ins I have ever seen in my life, so much pandering I wanted to walk out the theater, is not about they didnt take any chances, is about how diabolical and evil that people is in making the same movie twice and you know what? the audience fucking ate it all up.

Jeezz.

Oh man. This is a bit nutty.

I can't say I agree. A successful cover only works if it:

A) Ticks the nostalgia bone and all the love that comes with it.
B) Makes its own mark

TFA nails both for me.

NightOnyx

Just got back. My no spoiler quick impression is that it was really great! Not sure yet where I'd rank it. It's definitely in my top 4 with Empire, ANH, and TFA, but I'd probably need to see it again to really give it a good ranking. I think the first 2/3rds of the movie are solid, but it's the last third of the movie that makes it great. The ending in particular I think is the best in the series. They absolutely nailed that.

I think they did a good job of riding the line of making it feel like a side story but also making it feel very much connected to the main episodes. The movie definitely has a different feeling to it with it not following a jedi's story, instead following a group of rebels, but it was a nice change of pace. All the characters are well done and likeable, and all have stand out moments. Fan service is done in a good way as well. It's definitely there but its spread out and didnt feel like too much. Some of those moments I couldnt help but have a big dumb smile on my face when I was watching them.

Raptor

Oh man. This is a bit nutty.

I can't say I agree. A successful cover only works if it:

A) Ticks the nostalgia bone and all the love that comes with it.
B) Makes its own mark

TFA nails both for me.

A cover?

TFA is a working cover and thats exactly why i dont like it.

Sanctuary

Just got back from it. Wasn't impressed at all, aside from the last thirty or so minutes. Felt like a whole lot of wasted talent, and the most "life" in the movie came from a robot. The editing was so rapid fire that actual character development is pretty much non existent. Not even in the "hero" of the story. In terms of it portraying a film about war, I guess it did a pretty good job, but in no way, shape or form is this "The best Star Wars film since The Empire Strikes Back!" like so many around the internet have been claiming. The tone is darker, but it's missing a whole lot of other important features. Namely soul. Despite all of the problems I have with The Force Awakens, that film was still a lot more memorable.

If "It's still better than the prequels" counts as a qualifier, there's that at least.

Slixshot

Banned
9/10 in my book. Bunch of jump cuts in the beginning make it hard to follow at first, but I thought you eventually get a good idea of everyone important and their stories mesh well. I couldn't understand a lot of the names on first hearing but that didn't really bother me. I'll just look them all up and know them before my next viewing. Everything else was wonderful. Left the movie theater with a huge smile on my face.

Just came back from watching it. It's a good movie. Not my favorite Star Wars for now but give me a week or two to really think about it.

I loved the robot. I thought he was really funny. I also enjoyed some of the characters. The main character was okay. Kind of conflicted but I'll think about it.

I'll be that guy and say that I didn't like some of the CGI. I'm normally great with CGI but for some reason it wasn't hitting it for me this time. Well, except for the
space battle
(does that need to be spoiler tagged?) cause that was awesome. I particularly didn't like the AT-ATs (or were they the new AT vehicles that I heard about?) cause I guess I was so used to the Empire Strikes Back look and feel to it that it just felt off. I did not like the other calamari commander's CGI look. The only CGI I actually really liked was
Tarkin's
look as well as
Leia's
appearance. I thought I was a kid again watching the scenes where they first appeared in A New Hope.

Story was good but I'm one of those guys who really didn't see the point of the entire background info about the Death Star plans but it was still good. Ending was terrific.
The connection to A New Hope at the end
was amazing and it reminded me of a video game.

Darth Vader is awesome in every way. But I was super thrown off by his voice and costume. I then remembered that that is how he looked like in IV. I think.

All in all, it's a good movie. I enjoyed it and I think once I watch it again my opinion will change for the better or worse but I enjoyed it.

Again this is all my opinion but I can understand and respect the opinions of the fellow GAFfers. Watch it guys.

EDIT: Oh. Also, I guess I missed the memo about it being cut, but I really did not like the fact that there was no opening crawl! Plus the Rouge One font in the title shot looked kind of bad. But it's a dumb nitpick by me haha.

TissueBox

I liked the final third best, but in the end it did leave me wanting. A lot of times I didn't feel the stakes, only sensed them. But it's a good try, and for a spin-off it ain't bad. I also thought a certain villain was handled pretty well, but hey that may just be the squealer in me talking.
The last part where Vader goes after the alliance passing the Deathstar plans around and his initial cameo were my favorite parts of the film tbh. xP

Might give a more thorough overview later. For now, I'd call it decent for a film, decent for a SW entry, and driven by a suffcient main cast.

Stunned.

It was incredible.

Felt very much like The Dirty Dozen meets Star Wars.

I got the
horror scene with Vader
that I wanted.

Also,
who would have expected Tarkin to steal the show so much? Every scene he was in so perfectly captured the intensity of Cushing's original performance so well.

All of the callbacks and nods were so nicely done. Felt better integrated and real than the stuff in VII (like the chess, gas masks, etc). The
Gold & Red squadrons having some kind of heroes of the alliance vibe was amazingly cool.

Overall, gut reaction was that I loved it. Felt like everything the kid version of me would have wanted to A New Hope.

This was the prequel I wanted as a child.

Finally got it! Thanks Gary Whitta! :p

Though it was much better than TFA. Felt less like a lazy cash grab.
This one I don't really get. Fair enough if you mean that that's somehow the feeling that TFA left you with ultimately, but ... Surely you don't really think that anyone involved was just phoning it in?

At some point high up the chain the money decision to 'make more Star Wars' probably didn't cause too much stress. But at every point beyond that the creative endeavour must have been monstrous.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom