• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't looking too pretty right now (6/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Prospero

Garfield: 15% ("It's enough to make you long for the wit and wisdom of Mike Myers' Cat in the Hat.")

The Stepford Wives: 18% ("What a gutless and apologetic film this is...")

The Chronicles of Riddick: 42% ("Diesel poses pretentiously like a body builder trying to do a silent version of Hamlet.")

All I know is, I got a free ticket for Riddick by buying Pitch Black on DVD today, so I'm due for at least some rottenness. Plus I still have hope for that movie, no matter what RT tells me.

KingGondo

Banned
Wow, the Stepford Wives reviews surprise me. When you have that much talent (in the cast), it usually indicates at least a decent movie.

Ripclawe

Banned
updated!

Chronicles of Riddick (2004): RATING: ROTTEN READING: 27%

Wives: RATING: ROTTEN READING: 20%

Garfield: RATING: ROTTEN READING: 15%

Socreges

Banned
Re: Garfield

"Sitting in the screening room...I heard exactly one genuine laugh during the entire 85-minute running time. I must admit that it came from me..."

That made me laugh.

evil ways

Riddick has that whole Sci-Fi Channel original movie, crappy look going for for it. I'll probably either catch a $3 matinee showing of it or wait to rent the DVD altogether.

belgurdo

Banned
Considering Pitch Black was a C-grade movie, and since it was announced Chronicles was never going to be anything more than a generic sci-fi flick with better than average CG, why are people expecting it to be some smash hit or something?

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
even the preview for riddick looks like ass. I don't think the main actor says a word the entire preview except for something about making a choice. I cant take vin diesel seriously anymore.

belgurdo

Banned
catfish said:
even the preview for riddick looks like ass. I don't think the main actor says a word the entire preview except for something about making a choice. I cant take vin diesel seriously anymore.

People take Vin Diesel seriously?

Archaix

Drunky McMurder
catfish said:

Wait, now we're faulting a movie because Vin Diesel DOESN'T speak in it?

And also....ANYMORE!?

Agent Dormer

Dirty Drinking Smoker
Actually, the best movie you could see this weekend would be SAVED! It has it's major US release this weekend (was at a limited amount of theatres until now). Currently it's at 62%!

SickBoy

I didn't realize Riddick was a sequel to Pitch Black. But then I didn't see PB, so that explains it... though it's not at all apparent from the trailers.

-SB

Belfast

Maybe Riddick will still be good. I never imagined it as a critic's type of movie anyway. I think so many people are riding on the Riddick hype train (myself somewhat included) because the sci-fi genre needs a good kick in the pants. Its been on a steady decline for awhile now. The fantasy genre has had a recent rennaissance, and now sci-fi needs one, too....

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
From the first 10 minutes of Riddick they showed on TV, it looked horrible. Like they tried waaaaay too hard to make him seem like a cool tough guy (much like XXX but worse) but combine that with cheap sets and bad CG (I've seen better on the SciFi channel).

3phemeral

KingGondo said:
Wow, the Stepford Wives reviews surprise me. When you have that much talent (in the cast), it usually indicates at least a decent movie.

Rumor has it that much of the cast was fighting againts the directors decision plus, John Cusack originally played Nicole Kidman's husband, but backed out a few months before post-production and they had to reshoot the film with Mathew Broderick.

At least, that's what I've heard.

Willco

Hollywood Square
Dice said:
From the first 10 minutes of Riddick they showed on TV, it looked horrible. Like they tried waaaaay too hard to make him seem like a cool tough guy (much like XXX but worse) but combine that with cheap sets and bad CG (I've seen better on the SciFi channel).

Having seen the expansive sets, calling them cheap is just stupid. Riddick has some of the best sets in recent memory. The CG on the other hand, is nothing spectacular.

Dice

Pokémon Parentage Conspiracy Theorist
I'm just going by what I saw in the first 10 minutes preview thing. Unconvincing snowy areas and a lame plastic-looking ship.

Though to be fair a lot of movies these days probably use digital effects over their sets to make them more convincing, dont they?

Vlad

Well, Pitch Black only got like 52% on RottenTomatoes, and I absolutely loved that movie, so I'm still holding out hope for Riddick.

GLoK

Couldn't give any less of a damn, Riddick looks at WORST to be a decent balls to the wall action movie, and at best a sci-fi movie worth watching for a change.

I say bring it on, if it's as good as Pitch Black, it's got my money in the bank

Phoenix

SteveMeister said:
Hey, Riddick is the best-reviewed new major release this weekend! ;)

Told you the reviewer I talked to said it was bad. He said he liked Van Helsing more - and that's NOT a compliment :)

Phoenix

heavy liquid said:
I'll still see Riddick... probably because I liked the game so much...

Yeah the person I talked to about it said that the game was more enjoyable than the movie. I will probably still see it because there is nothing else in that genre worth seeing this weekend, but I know not to expect anything :)

Dead

well not really...yet
Belfast said:
Seriously, critics rarely EVER like Sci-fi movies.
movies like Blade Runner were bashed when they were released.

not that im comparing Riddick to that classics, but belfast is right, I NEVER pay attention to Critics on Science Fiction and Horror

Pattergen

belgurdo said:
Considering Pitch Black was a C-grade movie, and since it was announced Chronicles was never going to be anything more than a generic sci-fi flick with better than average CG, why are people expecting it to be some smash hit or something?

Well it did cost 120 million to make, so I would hope that at least some of the flick shows for that.

ManaByte

Gold Member
DeadStar said:
movies like Blade Runner were bashed when they were released.

not that im comparing Riddick to that classics, but belfast is right, I NEVER pay attention to Critics on Science Fiction and Horror

Actually when you are talking about a David Twohy sci-fi flick, the Blade Runner comparison is probably the best you can give. Just about every movie he's directed (the TV movie Disaster in Time, The Arrival, Pitch Black, Below, and now Riddick) were trashed by critics and turned out to be good sci-fi movies. Nothing as "revolutionary" as Blade Runner, but they were above the rest of the sci-fi pack that studios like to shit out (Lost in Space, Wing Commander, etc.)

Disaster in Time is a very cool time travel TV movie with Jeff Daniels as the owner of a small bed & breakfast. These bizarre people move in, and it turns out they are time travelling tourists who have come to see a cosmic disaster in the small town where he lives.

The Arrival had Charlie Sheen facing off aliens who were creating global warming to make Earth more livable for them. Ignore the craptacular direct-to-video sequel.

Pitch Black was a good, low budget, Aliens knock off that showed that you didn't need a huge budget and big stars (this was before Diesel was very "famous") to make a good sci-fi flick. Riddick is an awesome character, and Pitch Black was probably one of the best traditional (not Donnie Darko, for example) sci-fi movies in the last five years. I'm actually watching it again tonight before seeing Riddick tomorrow.

Below was more of a light horror movie, but it had an awesome premise that turned into a decent flick. It's about a WWII sub that's haunted. Roll your eyes, but it's pretty cool when you're underwater in a haunted sub and you can't just open a door and run away. Very cool atmosphere on this one.

Dead

well not really...yet
I havent seen Disaster in Time, but I LOVED the arrival, Pitch Black and Below, so ive been looking forward to Riddick for a while now...

In any case ill be there tommorow night

Mrbob

Well, I'm sure all these reviewers have already seen advance screenings of DODGEBALL, so none of these movies can compete! :D

ManaByte

Gold Member
DeadStar said:
I havent seen Disaster in Time, but I LOVED the arrival, Pitch Black and Below, so ive been looking forward to Riddick for a while now...

In any case ill be there tommorow night

Disaster in Time is actually out on DVD, and I really need to order a copy from Amazon. I haven't seen it in years, and it goes by many different titles, but it is one of the more memorable TV movies I ever saw because the premise was pretty cool and the disaster they travelled back in time to see was huge.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Matlock said:
Wait, he did the Arrival as well? Loved that movie.

Yes, but not the terrible sequel (but the current Arrival DVD gives you that turd as a bonus).

He also wrote The Fugitive.

Dead

well not really...yet
Shit I didnt know Twohy co wrote The Fugitive and did the story, just read it on imdb :0

ManaByte

Gold Member
Writing doesn't equal directing :)

Waterworld had an interesting premise, and maybe in Twohy's directing hands and without Kevin Costner it would've turned out good. I think you can mostly blame the epic Costner/Reynolds feud for that mess.

I haven't seen the uncut, non-theatrical, version of the Imposter so I can't comment on that. But adapting Philip K. Dick to the screen usually has mixed results.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Archaix said:
And also....ANYMORE!?

Wasn't he good in Saving private Ryan? Can't remember. Maybe I am thinking of a different actor. But yeah, after xXx I just can't watch him.

Mashing

You people ragging on Vin Diesel need to lay off... he's not any worse than Ah-Nuld during his generic action movie star days...

Granted, I've like Arnold's action movies more than Diesel's... but that doesn't mean Diesel's are any worse. He needs to get a good director... that would definately help him out some.

I read on Rotten Tomatoes in a NYT review of Scooby doo 2

"Scooby-Doo 2 looks like a Saturday morning cartoon and unfortunately feels like one, too."

WHAT! GET THE FUCK OUT! I would have never figured that SCOOBY DOO would be anyting like A Saturday morning cartoon. I mean it's scooby doo, when I wanted to see that I was kinda looking foward to something with the plot of a Tom Clancy inspired movie, the diologe of a Tarrinto movie and the Shakespeare style acting. Man a Cartoon...WTF?!

What's next? Dodge Ball isn't a coming of age chick flick about prostitues trying to go striaght?

ManaByte

Gold Member
Just finished watching Pitch Black again. It's been a while since I've seen it. DAMN Twohy rules. Can't wait to see Chronicles of Riddick in the morning.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom