• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rotten Tomatoes isn't looking too pretty right now (6/10)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Just saw Below and enjoyed it and I can say the same for The Arrival and Pitch Black, overall.

But one thing that simply didn't work for me in Pitch Black and which I'm still not buying in the previews of Riddick is the characterization of the Riddick character as the worst psychotic evildoer in the known galaxy, aka more evil than Evil itself, and yet is portrayed on screen as merely a gruff loner who's just a big softy inside.

Trevelyon said:
Don't waste your money, go see Napoleon Dynamite.
As much as I personally want to see Napoleon Dynamite, what good do you think you're doing by suggesting a movie like that in a thread about a sci-fi movie starring Vin Diesel? Are you retarded? If so, I apologize.

Pattergen

That's the problem. Pitch Black didn't set up Riddick as a character that could carry an entire epic type film (and sequel for that matter). There just wasn't enough.

"Perhaps we can fight evil with an other type of evil"

I don't know if that's the exact line but when I heard that during the preview, I swear my brain leaked out of my ears. I can't believe the absolute dumbest lines I'm hearing in todays movies. It's getting out of hand.

Oh. That's why I won't be seeing Riddick. Looks like another one of those big budget movies that was written and produced by a committee of marketers instead of people who genuinely want to entertain people and/or tell a story. (example: League of Extraordinary Gentlemen)

Vlad

kaching said:
Just saw Below and enjoyed it and I can say the same for The Arrival and Pitch Black, overall.

But one thing that simply didn't work for me in Pitch Black and which I'm still not buying in the previews of Riddick is the characterization of the Riddick character as the worst psychotic evildoer in the known galaxy, aka more evil than Evil itself, and yet is portrayed on screen as merely a gruff loner who's just a big softy inside.

I always took that part of Pitch Black to be one of those "make your own judgements about the character" type of things. The only person who even knew Riddick before the crash was Johns, and he obviously didn't like him that much, and he still wants the bounty for returning him, so he's going to make damn sure that the other survivors are less sympathetic to him.

LakeEarth

I've always felt that Riddick kills 'bad people' who are in power, so therefore he has a huge bounty on his head. So it's true he murdered all these people, but just not innocent ones.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
Vlad said:
I always took that part of Pitch Black to be one of those "make your own judgements about the character" type of things. The only person who even knew Riddick before the crash was Johns, and he obviously didn't like him that much, and he still wants the bounty for returning him, so he's going to make damn sure that the other survivors are less sympathetic to him.
Taking PB on its own, I can see how that would work. But I still think the idea was overplayed. When they're still playing this angle up for Chronicles, with the tagline that Shadow paraphrased, it just begins to seem even more tenuous.

NLB2

Banned
ManaByte said:
Just finished watching Pitch Black again. It's been a while since I've seen it. DAMN Twohy rules. Can't wait to see Chronicles of Riddick in the morning.

What are you talking about? Twohy is one of the worst American directors I've seen in a long time. The crash sequence in PB was one of the most horendously lit scenes I've ever seen. And Twohy somehow managed to make all inside shots look as if they cam from a BBC movie.

SteveMeister

Hang out with Steve.
NLB2 said:
What are you talking about? Twohy is one of the worst American directors I've seen in a long time. The crash sequence in PB was one of the most horendously lit scenes I've ever seen. And Twohy somehow managed to make all inside shots look as if they cam from a BBC movie.

Pitch Black was made for $23 million. Total production costs. I thought the ship crash was very well done, and I liked Twohy's use of different colors of light in the movie's scenes.

Phoenix

SteveMeister said:
Pitch Black was made for $23 million. Total production costs. I thought the ship crash was very well done, and I liked Twohy's use of different colors of light in the movie's scenes.

Ditto. While not a CG masterpiece of Pixar caliber or anything, I thought the crash scene was well done and believable (the more important thing).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom