• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Royal] Navy probes leaked Trident safety claims

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd rather have it and not need it, than the alternative.

Interesting claims, but I'm not sure this guy has access to enough information to make an accurate critique of Trident. He doesn't seem particularly senior, or privileged.

Lkr

I didn't realize other nations cared so much about their nuclear arsenal in comparison to Russia and the US.

Parch

If their safety programs aboard their tridents are anything close to the safety program aboard our tridents (which I suspect they are), then this is probably a bunch of BS by a sailor that just wants out of the military.
I always take these type of articles with a grain of salt. Disgruntled employee fueling a media wanting an anti-military bias. Questionable objectivity is most often the agenda.

Not saying that military safety is perfection and doesn't have flaws, but my experience with aircraft maintenance compared with the civilian equivalent was quite eye opening. The military has very strict procedural and safety standards. The civilian field does not have the same levels of safety. The term "military standard" is not just some catchphrase. It's a higher standard. What the civilian world considers airworthy, the military would not.

I know subs are not aircraft and there is no real civilian equivalent, but military safety standards are usually pretty high and applicable to all tech. When talking about nuclear weaponry, all the more reason to have even more extremely strict standards and practices.

v1oz

Do you think if You could magic all of the nuclear warheads away today that there would be a world war any time soon?

If there were no nuclear weapons at all the Soviet Union and America (including their allies) would have gone to war.

If there were no nuclear weapons today. Russia and America would both be a lot more assertive and aggressive internationally. The world would generally be more unstable and chaotic. Even today in 2015 Russia pretty much regularly tests Britain's air and sea defences by sending in jets and subs. Also China and North Korea are increasingly becoming assertive in their own regions - they are also engaged in cyberwarfare against the west.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom