• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPGs with overwhelmingly rich environments.

carpal

Recently I realized that the main reason I got interested in this genre of long and occaisonally tedious games in the first place was because I loved experiencing the travels of the protagonist. Exploring large, fantastical worlds and getting to marvel at the imagination of their design is often what makes the whole game worth it for me. I nearly creamed my jeans at the depth of KOTOR's rich history (especially at the end) and had a blast with the size and the exploration factor of Skies of Arcadia. What other games, whether through a story that's just the tip of the iceberg or the sheer size and variety of its otherwordly locales, have managed to induce similar feelings in yourself? Feel free to toss in games from all genres, even though I'm mostly looking for something to satisfy that RPG itch at the moment. Inquiring minds want to know!

Metroid Prime. OMG. Tallon Overworld. I actually had chills the first time I saw it. Or the first time I entered Chozo Ruins. All those little details. Awesome.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
Summoner 2 had some incredible exploration and visually striking locales. PS2 or GCN is fine, though the GCN version has better graphics and a higher frame rate.

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
morrowind. well, the environments are more "overwhelmingly big" than "overwhelmingly rich." but you can spend hours hiking around and looking for random caves and ruins, which often contain genuinely valuable stuff.

SantaC

Gold Member
belgurdo said:
FFVIII...I spent ages just running around the towns (especially Esthar) stunned by how natural they were

Agree. The enviroments are such a strong argument for playing the FF games.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Planescape Torment has the most original and creative setting that I have ever seen in a videogame, RPG or otherwise.

torment_screen002.jpg

torment6.jpg

tormentb003.jpg

carpal

Littleberu said:
Metroid Prime. OMG. Tallon Overworld. I actually had chills the first time I saw it. Or the first time I entered Chozo Ruins. All those little details. Awesome.

Holy shit, good call. I almost cried when I got to the drifts.

I'm with you on Morrowind being overwhelming big, but the world lacked something for me and lost my interest.

puck1337

Littleberu said:
May not be an RPG, but I must agree.

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
I wouldn't really call Metroid Prime an RPG, by any stretch. But it does have some of the best locales ever, imho.

carpal

Mejilan said:
I wouldn't really call Metroid Prime an RPG, by any stretch.

Nah, certainly not. But like I said, I didn't want to hear only about RPGs. Even though I'm looking to get into something new from the RPG shelf at the mo', I'm very interested to hear what other kinds of games have the same kind of thing going for them.

Mock

Banned
Four months later, I find myself playing FFXI for the same reasons I play Metroid, Castlevania, Shenmue, PSO or Deus Ex - the atmosphere is just killer. Its hard to expect anything less from an FF game, though.

totoro'd

Some of the environments of FFX blew me away. Grandia 2's world was pretty amazing too (at least on DC-not sure how the PS2 port looked)

epmode

Schafer said:
Planescape Torment has the most original and creative setting that I have ever seen in a videogame, RPG or otherwise.
iawtp.

if you haven't played this game yet, buy it. now. i'll wait here.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Since it's on my mind from the recent topic put up, Grandia 1 totally blew my balls off when I first witnessed the fly-by shot of Parm on my Saturn. Back then 3D was barely a reality for gaming of this type and the detail put into the settings(despite the actual 'world' being connected through bulletpoints on a map) was pretty draw-dropping. Each town was chock-full of at least an hour's worth of exploration, chatting, and subtle goofball environment interaction.

BG2 didn't have much of a 'world' to explore per say. But the main city you visit early in is dense enough to support it's own 60+ hour game. Lots of detail and history to pour through in each screen.

I tend to love the look of most of the settings in the FF games. FF8 and 9 likely being my favorites judged purely on the world design.

Chrono Cross didn't offer a very progressive 'vacation-like' itinerary for the quest to follow much like other RPG's; yet the parrallel worlds offered plenty of discovery and detail.

cvxfreak

I found Super Mario RPG to be captivating in the very least.

In the current gen, I think Baten Kaitos fits the bill.

jiggle

Definitely FFX. From the scattered ruins in Besaid(among other places), to the temples of the Fayths, and the buildings in Luca, even down to the little sign posts lying around, almost everything was beautifully realized and very unique.

novery

There are some environments in both Shenmue I and II that blew me away. The claustrophobic suburban streets of Yokosuka, the forests in Shenmue II (Disc 4), Tom's hot dot stand..... OK, maybe not the last one.

0002524,07.jpeg

-rp

Story-wise, Xenogears does an impressive job of setting up a world with a huge, long history that you're always discovering more about. The settings always seem like it's been going on a long time before you stepped in.

So does FF X, for that matter

Bebpo

Banned
Not only story-wise but visually Xenogears is filled with rich detailed environments. It has tons of houses in every town just filled with a million cool items everywhere even though that particular room serves no point in the game. Since there are so many interesting locations and they are all quite detailed, it's definitely the game I'd pick along with Shenmue for rich environments.

fbcamp

Banned
Shenmue 2 is amazing in that the worlds felt very much alive. I havn't beaten it yet, but what I've seen so far has truely blown me away (especially since i'm playing it on the Dreamcast).

*Shenmue series - the first has much richer environments and atmosphere than the second, but the second is still very good in this regard, it just sacrifices some detail for much bigger environments.

*Chrono series - Trigger is great in this regard in that you see the same environment in different time periods, while the second simply has some of the most beautiful, colourful environments in any Square rpg.

*The FF series - All of the FFs post Snes have excellent environments, even FFX (shame this one was such a shitty game all up IMO)

*Ocarina of Time - regardless of whether or not it's an rpg, it has some great locales to explore

*PSO

Non RPGS -

*Ninja Gaiden - has some very nice environments to explore

*JSR and JSRF - huge, cel shaded environments, some of which look flat out amazing

*Halo

Mejilan said:
Summoner 2 had some incredible exploration and visually striking locales. PS2 or GCN is fine, though the GCN version has better graphics and a higher frame rate.
I've been teetering on getting this game for a while now.

- I love the sleepless city of Treno in FFIX. It'd be great if they updated the game using the CG models they already have.

- Persona 2 had a painstaking attention to detail that I couldn't help but notice. I'm also a sucker for modernesque settings in RPG's in general.

- Pretty much all of Wind Waker. (Ocarina of time as well)

- One more shout out for Metroid Prime.

Docpan

Quest 64.

Overwhelmingly rich.

Delictably delightful.

Sinfully delicious.

Filled with rich, creamy Reese's Peanut butter.

Docpan

trippingmartian said:
Is it just me or have Reese Peanut Butter Cups gotten worse over the past ten or so years?

You noticed that too??? The peanut butter has gradually become less and less creamy.

It's become flaky, almost.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
Funny, I really, really hated Estar. Empty and ugly. Most of Squaresoft's RPG do captivate me sooner or later though. Alexandria & Lindblum in FFIX, Phantom Forest in FFVII, the Denadoro Mountains, Guardia Forest and others in Chrono Trigger, Midgar in FFVII and the list goes on. I liked FFX's enviroments less.

Docpan

Rei_Toei said:
Funny, I really, really hated Estar. Empty and ugly. Most of Squaresoft's RPG do captivate me sooner or later though. Alexandria & Lindblum in FFIX, Phantom Forest in FFVII, the Denadoro Mountains, Guardia Forest and others in Chrono Trigger, Midgar in FFVII and the list goes on. I liked FFX's enviroments less.

You actually remembered the names of each of those areas? Color me concerned.

Docpan said:
You noticed that too??? The peanut butter has gradually become less and less creamy.

It's become flaky, almost.
Exactly! And the cups are lined with grease. I'll bet it has something to do with preservatives.

Rei_Toei

Fclvat sbe Pnanqn, ru?
You actually remembered the names of each of those areas? Color me concerned.

:( Hey, these were just the ones I could remember, I used to know more :D. Well I guess they really made an impression.

PSO is the first game that came to mind when I read this thread title. The Forests levels are just beautiful. The Beach is quite nice too.

One game I've been wondering about, how is Saga Frontier 2, as a whole. I realy dig the art style, so much so that I'm thinking about picking up the game if I can find it. Is the story intersting enough to keep me engaged? Is it really as pretty as it looks in screens?

SolidSnakex said:
PSO is the first game that came to mind when I read this thread title. The Forests levels are just beautiful. The Beach is quite nice too.

Yeah but for me...after playing the game thousands of hours those areas seem very small.... need more maps and we need a new phantasy star online. (no card shit this time either)

elitehebrew said:
Yeah but for me...after playing the game thousands of hours those areas seem very small.... need more maps and we need a new phantasy star online. (no card shit this time either)

Yah they definetly need a new one, luckily there's PSU coming wup which seems to be exactly that. But even though i've spent hours with PSO, if they actually released PSO Ep 1 and 2 PLus in the US, i'd buy it. :(

tedtropy

$50/hour, but no kissing on the lips and colors must be pre-separated
I'll add another vote for Zelda: OOT. Whereas you're typically given a fixed perspective on your environments in most RPGs, with OOT you really felt like a part of the environments and not merely an observer. And though it's not really an RPG, System Shock was pretty damn scary and immersive in its day, too bad its sequel conjured up feelings of 'meh'.

ge-man

Li Mu Bai said:
FF:CC & Baten Kaitos.

I must second Crystal Chronicles. The art direction reminds me of the Dark Crystal and Labyrinth. If Jim Henson was still alive and was working on a videogame, I think it would look a lot like FF:CC.

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
FFX - I'm still awestruck by Besaid Island. Just freaking beautiful.

FFCC has some pretty interesting environments in it as well but it's not your typical RPG.

Top Bottom