• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Unicorn Overlord | Review Thread

bigedole

I genuinely can not believe how many responses this box full of men fella gets lol

Cool that the game is reviewing well. I have been listening to a 20 minute loop of the opening battle's music for the past 4 days. So excited to take my time with this game!

I genuinely can not believe how many responses this box full of men fella gets lol
It's kind of hilarious, if everyone simply ignored his posts and never replied to him, he would fuck off and try his shtick on someone else

He gets the attention he wants, and you all get what you fuckin deserve

joker-you-get-what-you-deserve.gif

Jedge

If you're spending 5 years making a game and budgets are tight, you're taking a few hours to find the Vanillaware or SRPG fanboys to give 20 early review codes to. You want that day 1 Metascore to be as high as possible because launch is vital to these kinds of games.
This will be my last response as I don't want to derail this thread but given that you said it's a niche game and sitting at a 87+ metascore before launch we can agree is great score and should be worthy of a look/purchase even if you're not a fan of the genre.

Sojiro

This guy here is to shit post and pretend his smart about it....
vblaJN.gif

His most idiotic poster I ever seen GAF......again this is same fucking guy who thinks every game should be pay to win.......And that being me "nice" about it.
Damn! Danjin going for the throat, I don't think I have ever seen you go this hard before lol. I have read some of that guy's posts, and came across the thread about the P2W shit and it's fucking mind blowing someone is actively wanting that shit in their games. I hope to God it's just trolling, but I really can't tell.

The reviews for this look good, but I knew this would be a buy even if scores were struggling to hit the 80s. I am trying my hardest to finish Octopatch Travelor II (which I have been loving!) so I probably won't start this for a while after I pick it up tomorrow. Can't wait though!

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Damn! Danjin going for the throat, I don't think I have ever seen you go this hard before lol. I have read some of that guy's posts, and came across the thread about the P2W shit and it's fucking mind blowing someone is actively wanting that shit in their games. I hope to God it's just trolling, but I really can't tell.
I wish it was but he actually wants that crap on his games, why?.......who the fuck knows what his thinking.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Yeah man it's a fucking wild world we live in when people are advocating for that shit in their games.
His "agenda" is to troll on SP games in order spit his so called "brilliant" idea about "GaaS games are the future" nonsense...... I simply just got sick of his crap.

He had no attention playing this game in first place, just came to shit post.

NanaMiku

I'm pretty sure this existed in the demo. You can also skip cutscenes if needed

edit. This was from the demo.See below
unicorn-overlord-system-options.jpg
A little PSA for the wait time setting. If you use Japanese dub with English text, sometimes there will be problems for long English text but short Japanese dub. The dialogue auto advance too fast

DeathGuise

Cool that the game is reviewing well. I have been listening to a 20 minute loop of the opening battle's music for the past 4 days. So excited to take my time with this game!
Who the fuck is he? Is he some sort of reviewer? Is he in the industry?

Shifty1897

Switch Up gave it a 95%.

Ias8zKI.jpg

SwitchUp is great, one of the few YouTube channels I follow religiously.
The "sexuality is bad" thread despises this game. Reading that thread honestly makes me more likely to buy it.
Speaking of, the algorithm recommended me a review for this from SiliconEra and they really, really hated all the boobs. It's almost as if they've never played a Vanillaware game.

Good game so far.

I don't understand why every JRPG seems to use 8bit 11Khz audio for voices, though. The Tales series, Ys series, Persona... they all use low quality sampling for voices. It drives me nuts. This game uses 1/20 of the space available on disc. You can spare another GB for higher quality audio.

GHound

Speaking of, the algorithm recommended me a review for this from SiliconEra and they really, really hated all the boobs. It's almost as if they've never played a Vanillaware game.
Unsurprising. My last experience with that site before I blacklisted it was that it was another site ran by weirdos that can't stomach the idea of people being informed of censorship.

Good game so far.

I don't understand why every JRPG seems to use 8bit 11Khz audio for voices, though. The Tales series, Ys series, Persona... they all use low quality sampling for voices. It drives me nuts. This game uses 1/20 of the space available on disc. You can spare another GB for higher quality audio.
CRIWARE strikes again!

Orbital2060

Good game so far.

It sounds great on my end, through speakers or headphones.

I doubt there is any difference to the sound quality between platforms but the xbox install is 11.8 GB vs 7 GB on PS. I do wonder why that is.

Its damn good game! They released lengthy demo because they had damn good reason be confident about the game they made.

I trust Vanillaware same way I trust FromSoftware...for me they never disappointed me.

I didn't play the demo but I'm already 7 hours into the game and it's fantastic. I've been playing it on Switch. The framerate is great and hardly noticed any drops. Not to mention the loading is super fast and going to the menu and saving is fast and breezy. Graphically looks amazing. Sounds wise is fantastic so far. Really like the story and characters. I've never played any type of SRPG like the OG Ogre Battle and Ogre Battle 64. So the battle system being like that took some time for me to get to used to personally. Overall it's a fantastic game and I can't wait to see what Kamitani actual game he's been working on is

Switch Up gave it a 95%.

Ias8zKI.jpg

I love that YouTube Channel myself

Renoir

the OST is finally on spotify, i can now make a proper mix.

Top Bottom