• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RPS: Pathologic Remake Teased!

path0.jpg

Link
GOG Original

While it's been hinted at over the years in various forms since the re-translation project failed, according to Rock Paper Shotgun the Pathologic remake many of us have been looking forward to is finally coming to fruition! Can read the link for more details but there will be an ARG leading to the September launch of the kickstarter. Ice-Pick Lodge have already successfully kickstarted one game, Knock-Knock which did have a more mixed critical reception than their other games but was still voted one of RPS's best games of the year.

Only sad thing about it being a kickstarter is it more than likely means it'll be a while before we get to play it.

Excellent RPS pieces on the game for those not familiar with it:
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Edit: 08/09
Teaser Website
Video
Also: register your email on the site for a rather disturbing arg

Senoculum

Awesome game. I found the quest management pretty difficult, and the environment was kinda cut & paste. Hope they improve on the presentation.

Orayn

Setting aside money for the Kickstarter now. The world needs "arthouse" developers like Icepick Lodge.

Very happy about this news, would love an excuses to lose myself back into Pathologics just amazingly sinister horror world. If they can clean up some of the more archaic elements of the game while keeping the general ambiance then a remake just might be bloody fantastic.

Setting aside money for the Kickstarter now. The world needs "arthouse" developers like Icepick Lodge.

Yeah, and they really are a dev that needs kickstarter unlike some of the bigger names who could get by on their own. Really excited about this, Cargo and Knock-Knock were smaller in scope compared to Pathologic and the Void so it's nice to see them return to "bigger" things. The Void is still pretty gorgeous to this day so I can't wait to see what they could do with Pathologic today.

Compressed steam screenshots but it's just showing the incredible art direction of the Void and it holds up pretty well graphically given it's 6 years old. Just imagine what they'd be able to do with Pathologic now!

eot

Banned
I actually have the original installed and have been meaning to play it, but I've heard it's quite bleak so I've been putting it off.

Icepick Lodge are probably my favorite developer whose games I find almost impossible to actually play

EDIT:
And also still my dream team to make a Cthulhu game properly

I actually have the original installed and have been meaning to play it, but I've heard it's quite bleak so I've been putting it off.

It is very bleak, and their follow-up The Void even more so but it's not simplistically grimdark or any of that nature. Still, doubt that will change with the remake so you might just want to read about the game. Cargo has a lot of their typical wordplay and interesting storytelling but with a lot of the more disturbing elements hidden under the surface(in this case, an incredibly colorful one) so it might be worth checking out if you're interested in the team. Is a bit less polished than their other games though and the thematic depth limited in comparison to Pathologic and the Void.

hoggert

Super psyched. Not a fan of Kickstarter, but will definitely consider backing this as it would be beyond awesome to play the game with a decent translation and a better engine.

Super psyched. Not a fan of Kickstarter, but will definitely consider backing this as it would be beyond awesome to play the game with a decent translation and a better engine.

Ice-Pick Lodge have such incredible artists so I'm hoping they will be able to get a decent amount of money raised to match that on the technical side. The Void is such a stand out artistically and technically for a game from 2008 but it seems they've had budgets issues since given they've shrunk down in the scale of the games to some degree. Cargo didn't look nearly as impressive, although artistically it still had its perks.

Taruranto

The original game had an interesting story/atmosphere, but the gameplay was simply utterly terrible. It was a slow, walking simulator with some ham-fisted elements like the necessity to drink/eat that only made the game more annoying.

The original game had an interesting story/atmosphere, but the gameplay was simply utterly terrible. It was a slow, walking simulator with some ham-fisted elements like the necessity to drink/eat that only made the game more annoying.

They weren't ham-fisted elements. The main gameplay thrust is surviving, in a way that's almost a precursor to something like Don't Starve. You have to balance being able to eat, finding the equipment to defend yourself, and having enough excess items to be able to barter for what you really neat. It's certainly excruciatingly harsh though and much like the Void you can screw yourself over and not realize it for several hours.

One of my favorite elements of the game is having the the two other characters that you aren't playing as go about their duties as the weeks progress.

CheesecakeRecipe

Stormy Grey
This made my day. The Void is simply incredible and Pathologic could absolutely be right alongside it if it gets the tender lovin care it needs.

Corpekata

Banned
As long as the walking speed is increased or at least has some sort of "running" mechanic, I'll bite. The slow walking speed wore me down more than the translation.

As long as the walking speed is increased or at least has some sort of "running" mechanic, I'll bite. The slow walking speed wore me down more than the translation.

Yeah, it did get really frustrating as the game went on. Not as big a deal in the Void given the smaller sizes of the areas, with a lot of them being home only to the sisters. I want to say it would almost certainly be adjusted but you are pretty slow to move in Knock-Knock too.

I bought the original on GOG a while ago and have been meaning to get to it.

Come to think of it, I have The Void and Knock-Knock waiting in my backlog too.

KTallguy

Banned
The Void is really hard and somewhat repetitive, but it's so visually arresting.

I have knock knock on my phone which I will try VERY soon.

Aaaaand I tried Pathalogic ages ago and I really want to continue playing it, a remake would be very welcome :)

gforguava

Great news. Although I will kind of feel bad for people who will have only played this newer version with its "better" translation and not the original.

There is some crazy magic in the current translation.

gabbo

I can never last more than a few days in the original version, before the translation gets the better of me and I stop. I also suck at The Void rather badly. That said, I love their esoteric designs and their use of a smothering atmosphere in most of their games.
Will definitely back this.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Oooo. sounds promising.

I have had Pathologic for a while, people of GAF, should I play on the 'faulty but classic' default translation, or go with a more accurate translated version?

Jawmuncher

Oooo. sounds promising.

I have had Pathologic for a while, people of GAF, should I play on the 'faulty but classic' default translation, or go with a more accurate translated version?

Considering the stuff you have played you need to jump into the fault.

Oooo. sounds promising.

I don't believe there is a more accurate version, there was a big project in the works a few years ago but it fell apart. That's really the main reason why this remake is so exciting.

The Void is also brilliant and holds up a lot better both in terms of the translation and mechanics. Not to mention it's one of the most horrifying games ever made so give it a whirl if you haven't already.

gngf123

I tried to play Pathologic before. It seemed like it could be interesting but I remember giving up, probably because of the translation. I could be interested in this.

Also, thanks to this thread I just discovered The Void. I definitely want to try that. I'll need to pick it up some time.

Because of everything I've heard about Ice-Pick Lodge's games, I know I'll be happy I bought them even if I never get around to playing them (let alone completing them).

zkylon

zkylewd
OMG

rico u should come directly to me about these things not let me hear about them hours later what the hell

anywho the void is one of my favorite games ever but pathologic was always impossible for me to get into. it's just hard to appreciate a game when you can't even understand the words you're reading

Because of everything I've heard about Ice-Pick Lodge's games, I know I'll be happy I bought them even if I never get around to playing them (let alone completing them).

Cargo is pretty approachable, gameplay can be a bit janky towards the end as you start heading underwater but it plays very similarly to Nuts and Bolts if you enjoyed that style of game. Lots of vehicle customization combined with Ice-Pick's typical flair. The Void is incredibly hard to get into but once you get into the flow its an absolutely unforgettable game and its worth playing even a little bit to see some of the best art design ever put into a game.

OMG

rico u should come directly to me about these things not let me hear about them hours later what the hell

anywho the void is one of my favorite games ever but pathologic was always impossible for me to get into. it's just hard to appreciate a game when you can't even understand the words you're reading

Yeah, Pathologic as it stands is a lot easier to appreciate than enjoy. The translation more often than not is nonsensical, which certainly adds to the game's atmosphere but not always in a good way. Still, it's easy to see the ambition present in the narrative and mechanics. The Void is really their masterpiece although that might change with this remake!

For those interested, Knock-Knock is currently on sale for 5 dollars at the humble store.

This is the one Ice Pick Lodge game I haven't tried, but with better graphics hell yes.

The Void is bonkers man, like an Ace Team game but also in design.

NewGame

Banned
This is fantastic! Played through the game 2.5 times. (Couldn't beat the Devoutress, too many translation errors, game was basically not literate after day 3)

I hope they improve the little things, things like a few interface tweaks and an easier way to get rewards from adherents. A few of the missions were ridiculously hard, I remember one with the doctor that had you find 5 rifles! 5! You have to find all 5 and within the day you get the mission! It was near impossible without save-scumming through abandoned houses hoping to find one.

I hope that a few visual effects are improved. Finding twyre was quite difficult as it didn't stand out at all, I had to disable all grass in the game but then it looked very ugly, just large polygons with repeated textures for floor.

Very excited. GOTY all over again. :) :) :)

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.

lol wtf are you talking about? You mean the survival elements in the survival game?

zkylon

zkylewd
yea i'd totes appreciate if they smoothed out the jankiness a bit

doesn't need to be completely inaccessible to be weird and mysterious and offputting

Nordicus

Come to think of it, I have The Void and Knock-Knock waiting in my backlog too.
Play The Void, it's excellent and has an absolutely trippy setting and gameplay mechanics. Just don't get upset if you have to start from the beginning at least once because you screwed up the resource management aspect. Took me a failed 5-hour playthrough to fully wrap my mind around it

zkylon

zkylewd
there's an "easy" patch for the void that makes teh game a lot more manageable

i suggest using that (i think it has a normal setting too) even on your first playthrough

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
there's an "easy" patch for the void that makes teh game a lot more manageable

i suggest using that (i think it has a normal setting too) even on your first playthrough

That sort of defeats the atmosphere and theme.

zkylon

zkylewd
not really, i played it with and without and the mod doesn't make the game trivial, just a bit more forgiving

i mean the void is a game that expects you to play like 2 hours and then discover that you fucked up and start over and that even if you have the mechanics down you can really mess up very easily.

the game can afford being a bit more lenient

NewGame

Banned
It's more sensible to have an 'Easy' mode available with survival horror games, this is purely because you cannot gauge your players skill level and if the game is simply at an unapproachable level for them then they might just give up before they even begin.

Silent Hill does this, RE:make has Jill and stuff like Amnesia has hint systems. All optional of course.

gabbo

It's more sensible to have an 'Easy' mode available with survival horror games, this is purely because you cannot gauge your players skill level and if the game is simply at an unapproachable level for them then they might just give up before they even begin.

Silent Hill does this, RE:make has Jill and stuff like Amnesia has hint systems. All optional of course.

There is a reason Cargo's story is what it is. Ice-Pick Lodge have never seemed particularly interested in how opaque their games are for better or worse.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Ice Pick Lodge? Of course. OF COURSE! Who else would do this?
I'm scared now. Need to play this game, looks fascinating.

zkylon

zkylewd
btw make sure you register your email on that site

not gonna spoil it but trust me you'll appreciate what happens

Top Bottom