• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: Pokemon Heart Gold and Soul Silver

Rolling Start

Neo Member
The level curve is still bad, but at least the new areas and ability to rematch gym leaders made it a bit more manageable in the sequel. And it's finally possible to get a Dark Pokemon that isn't Umbreon before reaching Kanto!

Having your Pokemon following you needs to return, as does god dang Voltorb Flip.

leroidys

I still put B&W over it for the overall speed and challenge, but it's a close second. Don't see Sun & Moon dethroning either TBH.

It's good to know that other people had trouble with leveling, and that I'm not just ass at the game. I didn't have a lot of trouble with the gym leaders, but I have yet to defeat the elite 4 and travel to Kanto. I put some serious time into this game, and burned out hard. I had a Poliworl for my water type, but water stones don't show up till the second half of the game, so I ditched him for a Dratini. I caught it at level 5, and trained him to 47, and planned to evolve him, but it was just too much. I began to see between the lines of the game, and stopped having fun. It was especially annoying since Lance has like 2-3 Dragonights that are level 45. I would love to go back, but I don't know if I have it in me.

I would probably put Crystal and HGSS about even (I like Crystal's atmosphere and most of its music more but HGSS has a huge amount of stuff to do). They are also probably the best games in the series, along with Platinum and BW2 Challenge Mode.

With that said why the fuck is Houndour still not available before post-game

Bar none, HGSS are the best remakes in the Pokemon series, and should've been the barometer for ORAS, rather than worrying about how much of the userbase (in the tens of millions) will play all of the content. Pokeathlon was a great way to relax from the main game. Johto had a relaxing atmosphere rife with tradition and lore. Kanto was great to revisit, and they had the gall to add Platinum's Battle Frontier when they didn't really need to. It was amazing.

Mr-Joker

Banned
It's good to know that other people had trouble with leveling, and that I'm not just ass at the game. I didn't have a lot of trouble with the gym leaders, but I have yet to defeat the elite 4 and travel to Kanto. I put some serious time into this game, and burned out hard. I had a Poliworl for my water type, but water stones don't show up till the second half of the game, so I ditched him for a Dratini. I caught it at level 5, and trained him to 47, and planned to evolve him, but it was just too much. I began to see between the lines of the game, and stopped having fun. It was especially annoying since Lance has like 2-3 Dragonights that are level 45. I would love to go back, but I don't know if I have it in me.

You can get Water Stone at the Pokéathlon on Wednesday plus some trainers will call you and give you stones as a gift.

Moreche

Apologies for the bump but I'm playing this on my new 3DSXL and when I talk to a character in-game, the brightness kicks up a little.
Is this a game feature?

Favorite Pokémon game(s) ever!!!

Also there was a bad leveling curve? I got through the game quite easily, the only gyms I lost to were Whitney and Claire, and that was in the OG gold and silver.

Anura

This and platinum are why I love gen IV so much! My favorite generation by far. It's just a shame it was followed by a generation I absolutely hate

Had this game for a while, but I never got past the 4th gym before something else got my interest. I want to finish it this year and finally get to Kanto for the first time since I played Red and Blue on the Gameboy.

I can't find my Pokewalker anywhere though :(

Dinskugga

Loved those when they came out.
Sold them when i upgraded to 3DS.

hTV54

But brought them back 2-3 years later.
Thats was a good thing. Because they are SHIT expensive now. Atleast in Sweden. CIB goes around 100-130 dollars /each.

Salvadora

Some of the best games in the entire series.

However, it felt at the same time as a missed opportunity to make some much needed changes including the leveling curve, Pokemon distribution (although Pokewalker helped), & Johto/Kanto expansion.

I feel that it would be very possible to do all of the above while being true to the originals.

Rutger

Banned
Still my favorite set of games in the series. I love the region, revisiting Kanto is still the best postgame to me, many of the Gen II Pokemon are my favorites, the music is still some of the best in the series, I can't really think of anything to dislike about it.

I've even grew to love the level curve. I did a playthrough a while back, where I did no grinding and would restart a battle if a single Pokemon was KO'd. The level curve made for some really interesting challenges, forcing me to use the X items and even legendaries(which didn't feel overpowered thanks to being underleveled). The strategy for Red ended up being a Mewtwo with a bunch of X items and full restores, haha. I honestly wouldn't mind if this level curve returned, but I guess I can find ways to stay underleveled if I want that kind of challenge in another game.

Gaardus

Apologies for the bump but I'm playing this on my new 3DSXL and when I talk to a character in-game, the brightness kicks up a little.
Is this a game feature?
Do you have power saving mode enabled on your 3DS? It makes the brightness fluctuate based on what's on the screen. More noticeable on DS games than 3DS ones, IMO.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
Best rival in the series. Blue was a jerk for sure, but they made Silver feel like a step up in every regard, including his eventual redemption, which, as you covered in the OP, even had gameplay elements to illustrate it this time.

He's also the son of Giovanni, hinted at in FR/LG and confirmed... in an event in HG/SS. Which means you can't see this key piece of really cool info anymore. It should have just been in the game.

Top Bottom