• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTTP: The Dark Tower

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
For those unfamiliar, The Dark Tower novels are a series of fantasy/western/sci-fi/post-apocalyptic novels by Stephen King. The series is about Roland, a gunslinger, marching across a world that has "moved on" as he relentlessly seeks The Dark Tower. What is the Dark Tower? Is Roland a good person or a madman? Come and see.

I won't get into the finer details of the plot, but one of the interesting things about the novels is that they are the nexus of the majority of Stephen King's books and they suggest a shared universe existing in his writing. In fact, once you have read The Dark Tower many of his existing works take on new/different significance.

Anyway, I read these in middle school and high school. I basically thought they were the coolest books I had ever read at the time. Lately, I have been going back through them.

Overall I'm having a good time with them. They aren't exactly high art, but the world-building is mostly pretty good and the imagery is still pretty strong.

Anyway, I'm not finished with them yet but here are my thoughts so far:

- The Gunslinger: I figured this would be the best one, becuase I remember it being a lot more poetic and dark. It's kinda odd though. The story is good and the character work is strong, but the prose feel kinda try-hard. This shit ain't Blood Meridian. Still, it's a great world and it's revealed well.

- Drawing of the Three: As a kid this was my favorite. Even then I didn't think it was the "best" but certainly a page turner. Now? Honestly parts of it felt really dopey. I think the problem is that Eddie Dean is just not as funny as King thinks he is and Detta is... well. We'll get back to her.

-The Wastelands: Pretty good. The opening is a little dopey and I forgot that the riddles are mostly in the next book. I like Tick Tock Man. I actually like the village and Oy and all that. I like finding the downed plane. I like the early climax with the Demon House. Overall the pacing is just kinda annoying now. Like, you spend a lot of time just waiting for the next door to drop. It felt like we were spinning our wheels. King sounds bored sometimes.

- Wizard and Glass: Hot take! I think this is maybe my favorite. I remember liking it as a kid, but as an adult it's been my favorite so far.
After the riddles, It just feels like King was energized here. The writing is a lot more clever and the world building is really nice. I'm not sure I buy Susan Delgado's inner life (been thinking of having my wife read a few chapters) but this digression from the plot feels less egregious when it's all there for the taking. Plus, the supporting cast feels more fully formed to me than the main cast from the main story in a lot of ways. I like the love story. I like the intrigue.

- Wolves of the Calla: I remember hating this one as a kid. Curious how it feels now. I just remember Doctor Doom throwing Harry Potter Sneetches.

- Song of Susanna: I haven't reread this yet. Honestly I don't remember what it's seven about. Very curious.

- The Dark Tower: I think I liked the ending more than most people. Curious to get back to it.

--- a few other thoughts ---

Detta Walker: Guys... I dunno. I think I get it. I think I do, but some of her stuff is written in a way that is kinda... let's say... presumptuous. The text acknowledges that she is a cartoonish stereotype. Yet, I don't think that enough is done to earn it.

The Movie: No, I am not reading this becuase of the movies (It's for D&D inspiration actually) but I will be watching them. No, I have no issues with the casting. Excited to see what they do and how they handle it. I have no faith they will be any good though. I don't think the strength of the source material was the plot really.

The Revised Editions: I am reading the revised versions. So far I'm not noticing anything egregious. It all flows fine to me and I actually understand King's rationale in doing them.

Anyway, talk among yourselves. I am kinda curious, what other stuff should I read? I know there are other books that talk about Cuthbert and Alain but I don't remember them. Worth a read?

Spectone

I actually started reading at "The Wind Through the Keyhole" then I read the series from beginning through to "Wizard and Glass" but I found that there was not as much of the strange world shown in Keyhole in those books so I never really continued past that.

A Fish Aficionado

I am going to make it through this year if it kills me
The series certainly went places, especially in the later novels. I read these during a tough time, so some scenes really do stand out. Eddie's sobriety, the whole Susan story.
I loved Blaine the Mono and the whole futurism gone awry.

Susannah/Odetta is cringe as fuck.

I absolutely adore the ending. Yeah, get some Finnegan's Wake on me King.

UraMallas

I just reread it this Summer and I reaffirmed Wizard and Glass as my favorite. I love the Dark Tower and can't wait for the movie.

dcassell

Banned
Back when I read part 2 in high school, I loved it. Now I realize the flaws with that Odetta character, whew.

I love these books though. I haven't touched them since I read all 7 in the summer of '11. Might return to them. I remember Wizard and Glass being my least favorite, and people calling me crazy for thinking that. I should definitely revisit that one at least.

Such a great series.

Wolves of the Calla is my favourite.

The Dark Tower a close second. That ending.

Edit: I might be confusing Wolves of the Calla with Wizard and Glass. Which is the one with the ruint(?) people?

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
See avatar. Must have had it for going on six or seven years here now. I'm actually in the of another re-read myself! On book 3. No work of fiction has had a greater impact on me personally, I could talk about it for hours and all the works that been inspired by it since (like LOST).

Cool, I'm currently on my first read-through, thoughts so far:

The Gunslinger: You can see it's one of his earlier novels, the prose can feel pretty clunky, the whole bit in the village is pretty bland, but the world is still intriguing. And the first sentence is one of he best beginnings of a novel ever.

The Drawing of the Three: This is where I got hooked. The introductions of Eddie and Odetta give the series a kind of inner life that was lacking before. The overall plot is still barely more than gather-your-party, but the characters are so great it didn't really bother me. My favorite so far.

The Waste Lands: Not a whole lot happens, but I liked it. Seeing Roland from the eyes of the other characters is a great benefit, he's a lot more fleshed out than before. I like the party interactions, I like how it feels like a classic fantasy story, just wandering through the world and encountering mysteries. Also we finally get more hints about what the role of the Dark Tower might be. The last third in Lud was a bit of a let-down, Gasher and the Tick-Tock-Man just didn't interest me at all. Blaine is cool as fuck though

Wizard and Glass: Currently reading this. The beginning is cool, but of course it's really the delayed ending to Waste Lands. I feel like jumping to the prequel story the way King did really messed with the pacing, I read through Waste lands in a few days but I don't really feel the need to continue. But I'm just at the start of the Susan Delgado story

This is actually the first Steephen King I've read, so I'll miss all the connections to his other works. (I thought about reading at least The Stand, but there's just too many books I want to read and I'm already in he middle of this series. I guess the connections will still be cool if I read some of his other books later)

I'm actually really positively surprised, always thought of King as this mainstream author who pumps out a novel a year. But while the main plot feels a bit too much as if he makes it up on the go, there's some really great characters in this

ThankeeSai

My favourite book series.

Drawing of the Three is still my favourite.

Both looking forward to and utterly dreading the film in equal measure. Hopefully, they don't fuck it up.

I actually really liked the Wolves of the Calla when I got to it. It felt like it has a more clean plot and pace after W&G and SoS which were both becoming increasingly convoluted and the character moments were suffering for the sake of developing an increasingly bizarre mythos. That said my favourite of the set is still probably The Gunslinger.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Wolves of the Calla comes before Song of Susanna.
WotC feels like a retread of Wizard and Glass but I still liked it. And boy oh boy, does Song of Susanna suck. It really, really, really sucks. Maybe the worst book I've ever read.

The ENTIRE fucking book is dedicated to the birth of a spider-monster that everybody props up as being "the biggest and baddest thing ever". Said Spider-monster then kills one of the last few interesting characters, thanks for that. It then eats something poisonous, is basically dying because of that and get's shot by Roland when they meet for the first time. The end. Hooray, that was worth an entire book.

I love the Dark Tower. It's my favorite book series ever. But man, the last 2 books were not great. And the part directly before the ending was just....well. Let's not talk about that. I could paint a pretty bleak picture of the last book, but I don't want to spoil anything

jesu

The Gunslinger is such a drag, took me years to finish it. Literally.
Drawing Of The Three was great, I rushed through that.
The Wastelands? Back to being a drag, it's been months now and I'm only half way through it.

I generally love Stephen King books, but this Dark Tower series isn't for me I think.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
The Gunslinger is such a drag, took me years to finish it. Literally.
Drawing Of The Three was great, I rushed through that.
The Wastelands? Back to being a drag, it's been months now and I'm only half way through it.

I generally love Stephen King books, but this Dark Tower series isn't for me I think.

If you want to read a King book that really draaaaaagggggggggssssss the fuck on (
and is actually somewhat connected to the Dark Tower
) you should read The Stand.

FunkyMonk

Such a great series.

Wolves of the Calla is my favourite.

The Dark Tower a close second. That ending.

Edit: I might be confusing Wolves of the Calla with Wizard and Glass. Which is the one with the ruint(?) people?

Wolves of the Calla. I know it's a bit dopey in places but I love this book, heck I really enjoy most of them though the last two do feel a bit rushed, I didn't get the hate for the ending though, it fit perfectly for me.

Folk should check out the audio books, they're pretty damn good.

120v

been over a decade since i finished the whole thing, but i remember being so let down with everything after Wizard and Glass. everything from Wolves on felt like a straight up dime novel... though I completely understand why King felt the need to rush the last three books out.

Finished reading the series recently after working my way through it for the last few years. Really great stuff, enjoyed the cast and worldbuilding.

I got pretty much everything I like out of a long story in The Dark Tower, even if some aspects of the end-game in the final two books were a little disappointing or fell a little flat.

Would have loved a long-running TV series to tell King's epic story, but the upcoming movie and spin-off series really have me intrigued. I'll be there for both day one, just hope they're decent.

Staccat0

Fail out bailed
I must be some kind of heathen because I still feel the best Dark Tower book is Insomnia.
I like Insomnia a lot actually. I would put it up there if it counted as part of the main series for sure.

Also, I fixed the order of the books in the OP

Wolves of the Calla. I know it's a bit dopey in places but I love this book, heck I really enjoy most of them though the last two do feel a bit rushed, I didn't get the hate for the ending though, it fit perfectly for me.

Folk should check out the audio books, they're pretty damn good.
Ya'll have me excited to get back to Wolves now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom