• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

RTX 4080 Super - Review Thread

kiphalfton

Nvidia clowns confirmed, GPU prices are a joke. Anyone who thinks this is a “deal” got played, hard. The xx80 series cards are $600 to $800 GPUs at best but somehow Nvidia convinced mining bros to pay $1200 and then re-release it a year later for a price that’s still far too high. Problem is they’re trapped because somewhere along the way people (mining bros) decided their overpriced GPUs are an asset and now Nvidia can’t drop prices to a reasonable amount.

Miners aren't buying this crap. Blame idiot run of the mill consumers.

kiphalfton

“Shit option” lmfao, going from a 1080ti to a 4080 at launch was incredible. My buddy about shit his pants when he saw CyberPunk running on it going to my C1 after only having seen his PS5 version.

Maybe the price for performance factor isn’t where it could be but the 4080 is a monster I’ll have for years more to come

Maybe?

Man Nvidia is doing a hell of a job lowering people's expectations.

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Maybe?

Man Nvidia is doing a hell of a job lowering people's expectations.
Ok change it to “for sure” and I’m happy with my purchase because for me, the price wasn’t too high and the performance was what I wanted.

Dollar for performance ratio my PS5 was probably way better but I sure ain’t playing Baldur’s Gate 3 on my PS5.

Senua

“Shit option” lmfao, going from a 1080ti to a 4080 at launch was incredible. My buddy about shit his pants when he saw CyberPunk running on it going to my C1 after only having seen his PS5 version.

Maybe the price for performance factor isn’t where it could be but the 4080 is a monster I’ll have for years more to come
Dude of course jumping 3 gens will be incredible! Look the 4080 is a very powerful card but the price was ridiculous, compared with the 4070 ti and 4090 the value just wasn't there. It was the red-headed stepchild of the range. The super is a nice step in the right direction but the performance uplift is minimal for a "super"

RespawnX

Don't understand why we use 1440p comparison charts for a 4k GPU but fine, in that case there isn't a difference. In case of 4070 Ti Super there are still some people don't get the performance advantage.

What the hell is the purpose of this GPU?

A 5-10% uplift wouldn't have threatened the 4090, but at least it would have given the Super a legitimation.

winjer

Gold Member
Don't understand why we use 1440p comparison charts for a 4k GPU but fine, in that case there isn't a difference. In case of 4070 Ti Super there are still some people don't get the performance advantage.

A 5-10% uplift wouldn't have threatened the 4090, but at least it would have given the Super a legitimation.

All those reviews have charts for 1440p and 4K, some even have 1080p as well.

Bojji

Idk why he grabbed the 1440p chart even the people who make the chart say they do their overall relative performance for any card more powerful than a 2080Super at 4k. The 4080Super is more of a 4kncard than a 1440p card.

Its still 1% in 4k.

relative-performance-3840-2160.png

I thought mining demand died after Ethereum went proof of stake in September 2022, and prices remained high partly due to excess inventory in the channel. Now prices have come down a bit, but 5nm wafers are significantly more expensive than 8nm ones, so I imagine Nvidia is still trying to protect their margins.

Miners aren't buying this crap. Blame idiot run of the mill consumers.

The mining craze started the problem and inflated prices beginning in 2017. Supply chain problems from the COVID lockdowns helped maintain high price levels. Nvidia is in part to blame for taking advantage of these price points, and you are absolutely right that idiot consumers are continuing to buy into this are the other part of the problem. Now Nvidia is in between a rock and a hard place. Do they drop prices even further and piss off their dumb customers who paid 50% more than they should have? Or do they maintain high prices, continuing to gouge? It seems like they've chosen the second option.

hinch7

I like to to think its Nvidia's way of doing a price drops without formally announcing it. And refresh the series at the same time, to market against RDNA 4 and Battlemage.

But yeah, a 1-3% uplift is pretty piss poor all round and the only noteworthy thing is a $200 drop. But that's not enough for a 1.5 year old product, that was ridiculously priced in the first place. With AMD and Nvidia price fixing this gen, its been awful for everyone not willing to spend $1600 for a new GPU (or now maybe the $600 4070 Super), for an actual decent uplift without getting completely ripped off. And even then its poor value. Its only what.. 20-25% more performance for 60%+ more money, lol. I know its flagship but.. Christ. People just want to play vidya games. These aren't Titan class GPU's.

Last edited:

lachesis

I did end up ordering 4080 Super FE this morning as my new build is complete except it has no graphics card. Waiting on the delivery... but I guess it could take 10 days.

I was able to get on Nvidia's site on exactly 9am and added one in cart - and while I was waiting on the cue, I was able to add one in cart for Best Buy one. I immediately tried to check out the Best Buy one as it lead to me the checkout - but got hung up with "you can only add 1 on cart" error (which I actually had only 1) ... then poof. Gone. Out of Stock. Less than a couple min! WTH?

Thankfully, Nvidia website cue was still active, and was able to check out... But honestly, I feel somewhat disappointed with the 40XX Super series, maybe except 4070 Super.... and beginning to feel like I should have settled with 4070 Super FE (I was able to put one 4070 Super FE on the cart a couple weeks back, but cancelled out as I wanted more VRAM) - and ride out till 5080 or whatever AMD comes out in response, but cancelled the purchase

My original target was 4070 Ti Super for my new build (7800x3d), and I thought it would be very close to original 4080 - and we all know how it came out, and thoguht it would be wiser to see the 4080 Super, as I never had a FE edition and 4070 Ti Super doesn't have FE.

(And unlike many people, I actually like FE design with clean lines... and also like the fact that it's often the most economical one, and also tends to keep its value a bit better?)

I saw $750 deal on RX 9800 7900 XTX yesterday on Amazon. (Sapphire Pulse brand) - almost bought it as it's far better deal for just sheer rasterization power, especially at $750.

At this point, I'm on a buyers remorse phase of spending a grand + tax on a graphics card... but well, I think I will just give me an excuse of "treat".

Last edited:

kiphalfton

I did end up ordering 4080 Super FE this morning as my new build is complete except it has no graphics card. Waiting on the delivery... but I guess it could take 10 days.

I was able to get into Nvidia's site on exactly 9am and added one in cart - and while I was waiting on the cue, I was able to add one in cart for Best Buy one. I immediately tried to check out the Best Buy one as it lead to me the checkout - but got hung up with I can only add 1 on cart error (which I actually had only 1) ... then poof. Gone. Out of Stock. Less than a couple min! WTH?

Thankfully, Nvidia website cue was still active, and was able to check out... But honestly, I feel somewhat disappointed with the 40XX Super series, maybe except 4070 Super.... and beginning to feel like I should have settled with 4070 Super FE (I was able to put one 4070 Super FE on the cart a couple weeks back, but cancelled out as I wanted more VRAM) - and ride out till 5080 or whatever AMD comes out in response, but cancelled the purchase

My original target was 4070 Ti Super for my new build (7800x3d), and I thought it would be very close to original 4080 - and we all know how it came out, and thoguht it would be wiser to see the 4080 Super, as I never had a FE edition and 4070 Ti Super doesn't have FE.

(And unlike many people, I actually like FE design with clean lines... and also like the fact that it's often the most economical one, and also tends to keep its value a bit better?)

I saw $750 deal on RX 9800 XTX yesterday on Amazon. (Sapphire Pulse brand) - almost bought it as it's far better deal for just sheer rasterization power, especially at $750.

At this point, I'm on a buyers remorse phase of spending a grand + tax on a graphics card... but well, I think I will just give me an excuse of "treat".

9800 XTX...

Are you from the future or an alternate past?

I was able to get on Nvidia's site on exactly 9am and added one in cart - and while I was waiting on the cue, I was able to add one in cart for Best Buy one. I immediately tried to check out the Best Buy one as it lead to me the checkout - but got hung up with "you can only add 1 on cart" error (which I actually had only 1) ... then poof. Gone. Out of Stock. Less than a couple min! WTH?

I saw $750 deal on RX 9800 7900 XTX yesterday on Amazon. (Sapphire Pulse brand) - almost bought it as it's far better deal for just sheer rasterization power, especially at $750.

I think spending all that money on a card and not having the nvidia features is crazy. Amd has some attractive prices at the lower end but there's no way I'd want to spend that and not have dlss3 and all the advanced ray tracing capabilities.

kiphalfton

lol 7900 xtx. (fixed) Don't know where 9800 came from!

Just checked the Amazon again and that 25% off deal is gone. :(

I had to check if that was actually a thing as I don't keep up to date with AMD offerings.

Apparently back in the day there was a 9800 XT (but not XTX).

Nevertheless, that's a pretty damn good deal for the 7900 XTX, especially if it's a sapphire card, as they go for like $1k.

AGRacing

I have a 7900 XTX as well and was considering switching to the 4080 super if it felt right and I could get a good buyer on the XTX - but I'm not going to bother.

I have to say I've been very happy with this graphics card. DLSS3 would be great... and maybe in another year I'll miss it. But I don't think so.

yansolo

$2000(aud) for a card seems nuts to me, i just checked a couple of the stores down under and regular 4080's are also still $2000. What happens to those cards do they just completely get replaced by the super? i was thinking id just wait a bit and get a regular 4080 at a lower price, guess thats not happening.

dave_d

I had to check if that was actually a thing as I don't keep up to date with AMD offerings.

Apparently back in the day there was a 9800 XT (but not XTX).

Nevertheless, that's a pretty damn good deal for the 7900 XTX, especially if it's a sapphire card, as they go for like $1k.
True, but that was back in 2003 and they were ATI back then. (I had the 9800 pro. That was a decent card from what I remember.)

it's all part of plan from the start

1) release overpriced card
2) release same card again under a new SKU
3) offer price cut to distract the fact it has margin of errors level of improvments
4) nvidia fanboys: OMG NEW CARD!! MUST GET!!

Rickyiez

The purpose of this card is to cut the price of 4080 but without having to do that officially .

In the end we still have nothing that is close to a 4090 sadly . Ideally we should have a 4080 Ti at $1000 that is in between 4090 and 4080 but the greed of Nvidia would not let that happen .

Last edited:

Thaedolus

Gold Member
Dude of course jumping 3 gens will be incredible! Look the 4080 is a very powerful card but the price was ridiculous, compared with the 4070 ti and 4090 the value just wasn't there. It was the red-headed stepchild of the range. The super is a nice step in the right direction but the performance uplift is minimal for a "super"
Eh, the value was there for me. I had my 1080ti for like 5 years and I’ll probably have my 4080 for just as long. It’s 15% faster than a 4070ti Super, but I’ve been gaming on it since November 2022. I’m not sitting around calculating dollars per FPS when I’m fucking up zombies in RE4 maxxed out at 4K >100FPS

$2000(aud) for a card seems nuts to me, i just checked a couple of the stores down under and regular 4080's are also still $2000. What happens to those cards do they just completely get replaced by the super? i was thinking id just wait a bit and get a regular 4080 at a lower price, guess thats not happening.

It's just supply and demand. I bought my 3080 for around £900 back in early 2022. I upgraded to the 4080 Super and sold the 3080 to CEX for around £350. I probably could have got another £50 to £100 on ebay. If people will pay (getting on for) £500 for (used) cards that were near the top of the range two years ago, the state of the art will be a fair bit more and the sellers will keep it there by not offering any discounts whatsoever.

Value is so subjective anyway - if I have a 144hz UW monitor and I want the graphics card to push out those frames in the games I want to play - and have the cash - then it is good value to get the 4080 Super for me. If I play on a 60hz monitor and the 3080 clears that easily, then obviously the 4080 Super is a terrible buy, no matter how much it costs.

Where the 4080 failed in many people's eyes is that sale prices were creeping up to the RRP of the clearly (25%+) better 4090. Now that issue has been solved.

Dr.D00p

Gold Member
At least the $1200 original launch price of the 4080 has served its purpose....ensuring Nvidia won't be so stupid as to try the same shit with the 5080, which is what will replace my 3080FE card, which i snagged at MSRP in 2021.

$999 will almost certainly be the new 80 class entry fee going forwards.

1 to 3% faster.. lollllll

The good thing is anyone who bought a 4080 or so almost 1.5 years ago won't feel left out. As matter of fact if you have an OC version it will be faster than the 4080 super FE.

200$ premium to have it 1.5 years in advance ? I would say fucking worth it

With the 5000 series only coming in 2025, I would say in general anyone who bought a card around release date has made the right call.
I don’t think this GPU is for people that already own a 4080.

Dane

Nvidia has been in "one bad gen, one good gen" cycle for years, and now the worries is that they could be still greedy with the 5xxx series because the AI has been 80% of their market value.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™

The 4070ti price was ridiculous. A $200 increase over the 3070ti.

Top Bottom