• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: First Details revealed for Valve's next Game, Deadlock

Barakov

Bored Larry Bird GIF by SB Nation

ryzen1

Instead of giving us L4D3 and filling it with a shit ton of microtransactions. They give us this?
People need to stop playing all these Gaas shit

CS:GO, DOTA 2 and TF2 are pretty much the only F2P live service games I ever spent significant amounts of time on, so I don't particularly mind them making another one.

Boneless

I have loved dota, dota2, TF2 and CS2. That does not mean mixing this ingredients make a great dish, but I am excited to see more.

Pejo

Gold Member
Disappointed Kevin Sorbo GIF

Here's an imgur album with all of the leaked pics in one place, i dunno if it's elsewhere in the thread:

Sucks, I wish they'd make another narrative focused FPS campaign. I really need to get a PC VR headset so I can try out HL:Alyx.

Sentenza

It's Valve so it will surely be AT LEAST a competent game in terms of execution, if not properly well-made.
Too bad I can't exactly say I'm excited for the genre.

Then again personally everything multiplayer-focused is almost automatically a MEH for me, so there's that.

Hudo

Valve makes games?
I mean, Half-Life: Alyx was cool. This however, is ... I dunno what to say.

I am sure there will be plenty of people who will like this, unfortunately...
It's just not what I want from Valve. I feel it's a massive waste of their talents to do some multiplayer-focused mtx/live-service shit. But oh well..

MiguelItUp

Valve doesn’t miss.

Day one.
No one is perfect:

Artifact-Valve.jpg
Exactly. Artifact was one of the biggest failures, and it was Valve's. They had marketing all over Steam, and no one cared. They shut it down fairly fast too.

REALLY hoping Deadlock is solid and successful. Alyx was/is great, and CS2 continues to improve though cheating is still screwed. So, at least there's some kind of hope.

Piggoro

I'm very disappointed. I'd rather they were mysterious and don't announce anything for another few years that THAT.

12Goblins

Lil’ Gobbie
Looks like shit but that dont matter. Icefrog is behind this and im enjoying people in this thread so gleefully signing themselves up for a crow dinner :messenger_relieved:

Last edited:

Piggoro

Looks like shit but that dont matter. Icefrog is behind this and im enjoying people in this thread so gleefully signing themselves up for a crow dinner :messenger_relieved:
I don't know man. I was always expecting something new, something special from Valve. The leaked screenshots and game description look super uninspired to me. Like Valoverantwatch at home.

Last edited:
My main concern with this is if it is going to have a clear identity or not. We only know leaks so far so it's not fair for me to judge anything yet. But from what I have read I suspect this game will try to be too many different things and nothing to everyone.

For example - I value mechanical movement/aiming skill above all else, things you see in CS, quake, TF2 (competitive shooters for grown ups). Is this game going to appeal to me? Or is it for the moba fans who value strategy, copying meta builds and having a spell do most of the mechanical work for you beyond basic micro/positioning/teamwork. From my experience games that try to combine these elements are just a hot mess - overwatch, valorant, insert other generic shooter with moba abilities/ultimates.

The game will get a lot of exposure purely because it's valve. It's one of those things, if this exact product came out and was made by a startup with next to no marketing. Would it die on release? Probably. But I hope it's good.

MrRenegade

Report me if I continue to troll
Seems like all their online games do not bring in ENOUGH revenue... This is typical Gabe Newell shit. I swim in money, but my 10 acre swimming pool is not big enough. I vividly remember when GN said that he doesn't like games where people cannot experience EVERY art/sounds/assets they created and that's shit. Even Warren Spector joined the discussion saying, that's not a problem, and came with Deus Ex as a prime example, but of course GN didn't like that. So don't expect anything single player like from Valve, just things that take your time.

Hudo

I just hope this doesn't mean that all their video game development resources are occupied with this... I hope they have some other games in development as well.

Griffon

A summary of the thread so far...

Valve is close to revealing their new 3rd person, hero based MOBA. A genre in which there are about 7 games total.

NeoGAF: *Whines about creative bankruptcy because 7 is too many*

Will update further as the insightful takes load in.

Yep, there I agree with you.
Good hero shooters are extremely rare, and since OW2 shat the bed, there's a huge gap where Valve could fit in.

In theory this is a good plan, but then... there's the footage... it looks like total ass sadly (not just because it's an alpha, the art direction is dreadful too).

Last edited:

Renoir

all these games have the same art style from team fortress/fortnite/overwatch.
Can we get that type of game but look like Killzone?

Top Bottom