• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: 'Half-Life: Alyx' is coming to PlayStation VR2*

Moses85

Parks And Recreation Gimme GIF

ClosBSAS

Good. The game is amazing. And it is the game to show for VR. The in innovation, graphics, physics. It's all there. Not that horizon shit with kiddy colors. Alyx is the true VR show.

And I play it on quest 2 and it's just ridiculous. Can't imagine here with haptics and shit.

Last edited:

Justin9mm

This was always going to happen, it was just a question of when. One of the biggest VR masterpieces, that is technically only limited to VR hardware. Sony was always going to get this bad boy to PSVR2. It is more than capable to run it.

Justin9mm

Good. The game is amazing. And it is the game to show for VR. The in innovation, graphics, physics. It's all there. Not that horizon shit with kiddy colors. Alyx is the true VR show.

And I play it on quest 2 and it's just ridiculous. Can't imagine here with haptics and shit.
I'm still trying to get it to run through SteamVR without crashing, what hardware do you run it on? I've tried running it on SteamVR through oculus and virtual desktop, I have a 7700X + RTX 3080 with 32GB DDR5. I'm trying to run it wireless and my internet and connection is no issue, I'm next to my Wifi 6 router on 5ghz, I have 250Mbps down fibre connection and still cant get it to run even on medium to low settings. I can't yet work out what is causing it to crash. I've even lowered my monitor resolution. I'm out of ideas.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
People said that about pong, space invaders, tetris, pacman, Unreal, Quake, CoD, Battlefield, Monkey Island....
I never said that about any game before Alyx. I mean, I guess the only way it could be topped is with Alyx 2, which is possible, if you beat the game.

Foilz

Banned
The majority of the VR games coming to psvr2 are old games. It's the only reason I'm not buying one for a while. I like the headset and I really like what they did with the gasket that folds around your face but software wise it's seriously lacking

This is going to be one of those "rumors" that will keep popping up every couple of months but never happens.

I don't see Valve giving their best game away to Sony because valve is also trying to sell VR headsets, they don't care about the Half Life Alyx sales that much to give it to sony.

Last edited:

Buggy Loop

I was about to say that bringing Half Life Alyx to PSVR 2 would just be beneficial to VR market and help this niche grow… but then I realized maybe Valve is saying to Sony to bring their headset to PCVR with that same logic..

I never said that about any game before Alyx. I mean, I guess the only way it could be topped is with Alyx 2, which is possible, if you beat the game.
Stephen Merchant Reaction GIF

I meant that people have said that about games, technology and movies since the dawn of time. A game will beat Alyx and that will be the best thing ever, until something beats that.

Are Neogaf posters mostly high when they're on this forum?

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Stephen Merchant Reaction GIF

I meant that people have said that about games, technology and movies since the dawn of time. A game will beat Alyx and that will be the best thing ever, until something beats that.

Are Neogaf posters mostly high when they're on this forum?
I get your point, but I don’t have high hopes that another dev will put the TLC into a VR game like Valve did with Alyx.

Last edited:
Yes, but not really for the games you listed much. Especially the industry older games were there were new hits every month on Computer and console.
What? lol. Come on buddy. Space invaders arcade games had queues of people wanting to play it. They had to limit the amount of time people could play the machine to everyone could have a fair go. People thought that nothing would beat it. Then pacman happened, then the rest of history happened.

I remember people saying Sonic (or Mario if you were a nintendo fan) would never be beaten graphically. I remember seeing Crash Bandicoot for the first time, the transition from 2d to 3d and people were saying this is it, this is the best and will never be beaten.
I get your point, but I don’t have high hopes that another dev will put the TOC into a VR game like Valve did with Alyx.
That's fair. Let's hope for both our sakes that someone does put the effort in to more VR games

It’s not coming to PSVR2. It would have been announced already if so. If Sony want to push headsets, Half Life is the way to do it.

Am starting to believe there's no chance. In less than 4 weeks the game will be 3 years old and Sony have just released their brand spanking new VR. Now is the time to reveal it, even if its not coming out for another 6 months.

Sure this could have been revealed months ago. This could have been at state of play earlier too. Yet here are are.

Logic always dictated that why should Valve release Alyx on ps5 as they want to push their own Index. It's looking more correct as time passes by.

I don't see Valve giving their best game away to Sony because valve is also trying to sell VR headsets,

Valve quickly reduced support and I highly doubt many Indexs are selling or even being produced to sell right now. Although I do see Valve charging a high fee to have the port come over.

What? lol. Come on buddy. Space invaders arcade games had queues of people wanting to play it.

You're confusing accessibility and popularity with thinking those same people though it was the best ever and couldn't be topped.

Those are two completely different thinks. Pac-man was heavily accessible and remained popular for years but people knew there were better games with more depth but many players weren't interested in that. They wanted accessibility to the fun instead of a learning curve or not being able to pick up and play, which is why Pole Position was a flash and then burn once people got over the graphics and the novelty, and why outside of Ms.Pac man, people weren't interested in the others Pac mans.

Gaming outside of fan circles and a few outlier journalists or Pro-JP publications wasn't filled with many "can't be topped" because there were always games topping other games in multiple genres and categories every other week until the more modern times since about 2009.

At best you'll have easily impressed people, usually younger or kids who may throw that out there but they would be kids, they would say anything is the best ever. Oh my goodness, this peanubutter and jelly sandwich can't be topped. Or maybe some barely into the industry casuals might see some cool arcade game and may be impressed and say that based on their limited scope or investment in gaming. Like probably some that think the Wii was the best game machine and won't be topped. That's not real.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Gold Member
I would hope they'd include some extras in the package, given that it is a three year old game, that millions of VR players have already been through.

I guess it's good that it'll be on PSVR2, but I can't pretend it's not a little disappointing that it's still easily the best VR game in existence, three years after its release.

ClosBSAS

I'm still trying to get it to run through SteamVR without crashing, what hardware do you run it on? I've tried running it on SteamVR through oculus and virtual desktop, I have a 7700X + RTX 3080 with 32GB DDR5. I'm trying to run it wireless and my internet and connection is no issue, I'm next to my Wifi 6 router on 5ghz, I have 250Mbps down fibre connection and still cant get it to run even on medium to low settings. I can't yet work out what is causing it to crash. I've even lowered my monitor resolution. I'm out of ideas.
weird. shit looks amazing on quest 2. i use air link or whatever its called. there is one thing though: launch the game trhough the .exe not steam (make a shortcut) and launch steam vr first. then for the rest, air link or wahtever its called, make sure you just enable it on settings and launch it to connect to steam VR and then launch the game. Make sure when you start steam vr you have the oculust app for windows running in the background, you can check in the devices tab to see if its connected and then just launch the game trhough steam and should take you to it.

am on a 12700k 3080ti 32gb ram, so you should be fine.

Last edited:

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
I have honestly barely played it, maybe a couple of hours max. That darn HL2 mod came out and I just found myself drawn into a HL2 replay instead.

Top Bottom