• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Mid-Gen Upgrades for PS5 and Xbox Series X devkits have been received by most AAA studios, according to GTA Forum insider

For Microsoft i think the alpha kit is just a prototype with slightly beefed-up specs: Zen3+, RDNA3, slightly more ram and bandwidth with the same OS.

If I recall, before the release of Xbox series S/X it was just a generic Zen1 or Zen1+ CPU, with RDNA 1 and same OS from Xbox One and One X.
You have killed my hype with these statements why are they continuously going with a generation old cpu zen 4 should be in those prototypes

GustavoLT

xsKoV5p.jpg

Expected. For PS5 I am expecting end of 2023 release and using 5nm + chiplets (2x PS5 GPUs and everything upclocked compared to PS5 + a few exotic novelties).
Why not just wait till 2024 at that point and be the first rdna 4 machine on the market similar to how the original was the first rdna 2? They also could likely make it cheaper in 2024 while also giving more power

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
And yet people are lined up around the block to get a 4090 for $1600. If consumers want the upgrades, I doubt companies would mind having a higher priced product on hand to sell them.
Wanting to spend money != getting tangible benefits. Also, PC market is a thing of its own as people can mod games, people can use these cards for productivity tools, and a lot of other shit that has not even be invented yet.

Consumers… consume ;)

Who wants to bet its actually the slim models which have slightly different clocks and SSD sizes.
I doubt they can release midgens with 650+ dollar price tags in the current climate.
Sony just increased the price of the PS5, so i dont expect a price cut soon to enable to Pro to fit in the 500 - 600 price bracket

Though if it actually is refreshes I wonder if theyve managed to double the perf.
If true I really feel bad for devs.

XSS - 4 TLOPs
XSSx - 8 TFLOPs
PS5 - 10 TFLOPs
XSX - 12 TFLOPs
PS5p - 20 TFLOPs
XSXx - 24 TFLOPs
PCMR - 100TFLOPs
2024 is the more appropriate time to release with rdna 4 and could make it not just a 2x but a 2.5-3x jump in rasterization and 3-4x jump in rt for 600

DaGwaphics

Wanting to spend money != getting tangible benefits. Also, PC market is a thing of its own as people can mod games, people can use these cards for productivity tools, and a lot of other shit that has not even be invented yet.

Consumers… consume ;)

I was talking about the mindset of the company wanting to sell products. If there is reasonable demand for a more expensive product, why would you not want to fill that niche? Especially in the case of consoles, where you'd like to retain some of these users that are willing to spend more $ on hardware rather than have them jump to PC. I think the mid-gen systems are here to stay, even if they only represent 15-20% of sales at the end of the day.

Last edited:
Assuming for a moment that the rumor is true, they ain't releasing these mid-gen consoles now, or even 6 months from now, maybe not even a year from now. It very well could be a 2024 initiative. So the folks complaining about cross-gen, or supply availability of the current models, or the lack of games taking "full advantage" of the current units, y'all need to realize that if these machines are real, they're not being targeted for the market as it is right now, they're being targeted for the market as it will be in the future.

Cross-gen will be a thing of the past (maybe with few exceptions), supply will be everywhere and we'll have tons of games taking full advantage of the current gen machines before these mid-gen units ever see the light of day.

I mean, that'd be like folks whining back in 2014 that the PS4 wasn't even used to its full potential yet, so why do we need a PS4 Pro in 2016?

Again, we have no idea if it'll actually happen or not, and we have no idea what the differences may be in these new machines. I know for Sony I've argued in the past that they're already (and will continue to) produce PC ports of their games that punch above what the PS5 itself can do, so they're already putting in the work to make their games perform better, so why not release a PS5 Pro that will take advantage of that work they're already doing so their console consumers have a chance to experience it as well?
2024-2025 are the only acceptable times to release with rdna 4 and also how separated it would be from the original launch

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
2024 is the more appropriate time to release with rdna 4 and could make it not just a 2x but a 2.5-3x jump in rasterization and 3-4x jump in rt for 600
Why not just call those the Xbox Next and PS6?
A 3x jump in TFLOPs would have the Xbox Next at like 36TFLOPs.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Can't wait, since we have 80TF cards now, hopefully AMD comes to it's senses and release something good with RDNA 3 and it be packaged greatly in console.

DaGwaphics

Then you force that hard reset to zero. The mid-gen approach keeps those that love their upgrades happy, while allowing those that are fine with the base model performance to remain content.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
I was talking about the mindset of the company wanting to sell products. If there is reasonable demand for a more expensive product, why would you not want to fill that niche? Especially in the case of consoles, where you'd like to retain some of these users that are willing to spend more $ on hardware rather than have them jump to PC. I think the mid-gen systems are here to stay, even if they only represent 15-20% of sales at the end of the day.

Again, for consoles it is even worse as they can hardly go liquid cooling crazy with huge kilowatt boxes to keep performance expectation of what PC users could have.

I get console makers would love to be Apple and keep selling new HW for higher profits more often with people fooling themselves it is worth it (camera aside, iPhone users upgrades do not seem to be speeding up, see how the company is moving so strongly into services). I get the greed argument in their part.

It is more and more snake oil though. It takes longer and longer to get meaningful performance increases and it takes more and more of s performance delta to produce meaningful differences in games on screens (also thanks to devs that with far more HW to support and the cost of showing those capabilities off are mostly using what they can get brute forcing results).

Beside consumerism I do not see why console owners, who generally do not want larger and larger and much more expensive boxes no matter the value they provide, are asking for HW updates to come out more frequently rather than less 🤷‍♂️.

Last edited:

Pejo

Need more horsepower to play the remake of Horizon Forbidden West they're gonna do in 2 years.

This is an absolute embarrassment considering we BARELY have any current-gen only games, and supply constraints are only recently becoming less of a problem. I hope Sony and MS get roasted for this.

I think the OG PS5 will be the last console I ever buy outside of whatever Nintendo's latest underpowered piece of shit is. I got one near launch thanks to a friend that camped some websites, but I have literally only played Demon's Souls and Genshin Impact on it before something broke on the HDMI port and now I can't play longer than 30 mins before it fucks up my TV.

And yet people are lined up around the block to get a 4090 for $1600. If consumers want the upgrades, I doubt companies would mind having a higher priced product on hand to sell them.

What a ridiculously absurd argument.

Do you understand that there's a huge difference between the hundred of thousands of consumers buying $1600 GPUs and the multiple tens of millions of people who would buy a console?

Sony and MS cannot even get enough manufacturing capacity to make enough base consoles to meet the demand. So after spending billions in R&D, design and fabrication of the base console microprocessors and overall console systems, having not been able to make enough of them to fully recuperate those costs, you lot think they'll dumb another round of design costs on a mid-gen refresh that nobody asked for?

If there were plans for a mid-gen refresh, they were scrapped long ago when the semi-conductor supply chain woes kicked off and showed no sign of being over any time soon.

Black_Stride

Then you force that hard reset to zero. The mid-gen approach keeps those that love their upgrades happy, while allowing those that are fine with the base model performance to remain content.

Wouldnt the settings differences between the 4TFLOP Series S and the 36 TFLOP Series Xtra be so huge devs would basically be making two completely separate versions of the game?
There would be an almost 10x difference between the base model and the top end model.
Even PC games have a min spec, im sure having a gap that wide would basically force the reset, just so devs dont have to accommodate the Series S.

New Gen consoles usually have anywhere from a 7-11x bump in rasterization power over the base models of last Gen so 3x jumó would make the ps6 a joke. A 2-3x jump also isn’t unheard of for a pro model wasnt the ps4 pro about 2.5x the gpu brunt of the ps4 and the one x even 4x so 3x really wouldn’t be out of line especially if they wait till 2024

DaGwaphics

Wouldnt the settings differences between the 4TFLOP Series S and the 36 TFLOP Series Xtra be so huge devs would basically be making two completely separate versions of the game?
There would be an almost 10x difference between the base model and the top end model.
Even PC games have a min spec, im sure having a gap that wide would basically force the reset, just so devs dont have to accommodate the Series S.

I don't think 36TF would come close to forcing a reset, no. That would still be within range of a 6900xt that exists comfortably in the existing landscape.

Honestly, even moving up to 6800xt levels of performance with some improved RT capabilities would be enough to sell a mid-gen system on. AMD is claiming that a 7700xt will have similar performance to a 6900xt, which would be an impressive performance target for a console. The base consoles miss their 4k target often enough that I think there is more than enough room for a system to go in over the top.

Plus, there's always that possibility that MS just rolls forward indefinitely from here on out. Always supporting 2 S models and 2 X models at any given time. Though, in that scenario they might try to hang on to the existing price points, or at least not raise them by much (maybe $400 and $600 instead of $300/$500 next time), in which case the hardware improvement probably wouldn't be as large. If it were me, I'd probably just stick with the traditional console generation approach and keep cost reducing the S and X while adding a more expensive mid-gen model.

Last edited:
I would have agreed with you not long ago......but after waiting so long for XSX/PS5 to be available where I live(they only became available easily in the last month or so),it kind of makes sense for me to wait until these mid gen consoles this time.....also.not exactly many games coming out to make me want to jump into next gen yet.
I haven’t bought the ps5 yet cause they haven’t given me the option to buy the console itself in non white but I certainly won’t complain if a pro model comes out within that time

ReBurn

Gold Member
I have both PS5 and Series X, and none have been properly utilized yet, if these mid gen refreshes are true I may jump to PC only.
The reason for mid gen refreshes would be to try to keep people from jumping to PC. That's why they happened last gen. PC gaming tech is leaving consoles in the dust. Consoles are going to need to offer higher performance options or risk losing even more market share to PC gaming.

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I haven’t bought the ps5 yet cause they haven’t given me the option to buy the console itself in non white but I certainly won’t complain if a pro model comes out within that time
I mean for like $40 you can put on side plates to make it any color you want

Don't let a white system stop you from playing some pretty amazing PS5 only games

• Thoughtful
Reactions: HTK

Black_Stride

This is the most bullshit reason to NOT buy a Playstation 5 I have ever heard.
The "its too big" "its ugly" excuses were funny.....but this is a new low, even for NeoGAF.

It only comes in white so I wont buy it?

HAHAHA mate you are a trip.
I mean for like $40 you can put on side plates to make it any color you want
Don't let a white system stop you from playing some pretty amazing PS5 only games

tommib

Gold Member
Good. Anything to play Elden Ring in quality mode at 60 fps.

Keep the frames unlocked for these beauties, devs.

Last edited:
Would be this based on RDNA4? Stuff AMD has cooking but not yet released? It feels too close to RDNA2 to be legitimate. Correct me if I'm wrong here, but the gains necessary to make this a true 'refresh' ala PS4 Pro and XSX aren't really there yet architecturally. PS4 pro was over twice as powerful as the base PS4, and the XSX was much, much more powerful than the Xbox One.

So we'd be looking at APUs which are... What? In the 20-24TF+ ballpark with Zen 3/4 CPUs and all the other custom silicon? I'm not saying that the discreet cards being made by AMD aren't that powerful- I mean clearly that's doable. I'm referring specifically to APUs.

Nevermind that this gen so far has been absolutely farcical. We've not seen a while helluva lot released that's 'stretching' the legs of the base XSX or PS5. It honestly doesn't feel like we've had generational leap defining titles yet beyond Ratchet and Clank and maybe a handful of others between the two machines.
The hope is that it is rdna 4 in 2024 and also zen 5

This is the most bullshit reason to NOT buy a Playstation 5 I have ever heard.
The "its too big" "its ugly" excuses were funny.....but this is a new low, even for NeoGAF.

It only comes in white so I wont buy it?

HAHAHA mate you are a trip.
You can make fun of me all you want but no I never want a white system ever again especially when I also would be forced to get another white controller so again I’m fine waiting till another option comes

DaGwaphics

Unironically the best name I’ve heard yet and one I haven’t heard of I think series x elite can also work

Since they have the Elite controller and have had an Elite console in the past, I can see them having an Xbox Series Elite or something like that. Could be a new product that gets refreshed every 7 or 8 years at the mid-way point.

Black_Stride

You can make fun of me all you want but no I never want a white system ever again especially when I also would be forced to get another white controller so again I’m fine waiting till another option comes
console-cover-and-dualsense-controller-midnight-black

The solution is in front of you, but you are deciding to ignore it.
If the only barrier to getting a PS5 is that it comes with white covers, and you could get covers in near any color you want.....then thats not even a barrier.
You have some other reason for not wanting a PS5.
Imma guess:
poor-help-me.gif

ShirAhava

Plays with kids toys, in the adult gaming world
I warned people like a year ago we would go from Xbox One X/PS4 Pro as the baseline to whatever the "next gen refresh" was gonna be

when crossgen ends PS5 and Series X were never going to be the target those systems are basically "super pro" refresh systems
and the next so-called refresh is the real next gen

sell those PS5/Series X's asap no one is going to want them soon they are going to replace them completely
costs less to make new systems than keep those 2019 chip processes in production they are going to get dropped.....hard

Last edited:
You have killed my hype with these statements why are they continuously going with a generation old cpu zen 4 should be in those prototypes

They will have additional SDK with updated hardware, if I recall, with x360 there were 2 additional SDKs with updated specs before the final release. The final SDK will most likely have Zen4 or Zen4+with 3D cache. Developers just need something to work with to get something started with development cycles typically being 2.5-4 years. Expect Holiday 2024 release of these pro consoles, with launch games nowhere near tapping the actual hardware specs and being shackled to cross gen. But at least no more Potatoe jaguar amirite?

Last edited:
They will have additional SDK with updated hardware, if I recall, with x360 there were 2 additional SDKs with updated specs before the final release. The final SDK will most likely have Zen4 or Zen4+with 3D cache. Developers just need something to work with to get something started with development cycles typically being 2.5-4 years. Expect Holiday 2024 release of these pro consoles, with launch games nowhere near tapping the actual hardware specs and being shackled to cross gen. But at least no more Potatoe jaguar amirite?
If it’s 2024 then it should be zen 5 honestly I hope your right though

ChiefDada

If it's just a tflop and/or memory bump then I'm not interested in the least. If it's hardware acceleration for rt or AI with dlss like implementation then go ahead and take my money.

Maybe by the time the pro systems launch they will actually be readily available on store shelves and online. I still have yet to see a PS5 in the wild or on Amazon. Might as well wait for the pro versions at this point.

Robb

Gold Member
I’m all for this. Haven’t picked up a Ps5 yet. I just hope they make it half the size of the original.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
It was a slide from a presentation by TCL and yes the slide is real
Is it an assumption/guess, or does TCL which is normally a Chinese TV manufacturer produce components in these consoles?

With that said, if this were an AMD slide, I would call it a slam dunk.

Top Bottom