• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(RUMOR) New Splinter Cell in development, Michael Ironside returning as Sam Fisher

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
The last one I played was conviction, wasn't a massive fan as it felt like the game was playing itself, much preferred Double Agent.

I'm really glad to hear that.
Hopefully he brings back the character's personality because in Blacklist Sam Fisher is the most generic and bland action hero I can think of.

Blade30

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah that's great news and it's still beyond me why they even bothered with a new voice actor.
While they are at it they can also bring back Amon Tobin for the soundtrack, chaos theory was superb.

That was Conviction. It was pretty good and I kinda miss the presentation style of that game so if it's like the last two games with a bit of old Fisher, then that would be great.

Jesus...so what was Blacklist. Did I even play it? I guess not. o_O

Both Conviction and Blacklist had this.

The last one I played was conviction, wasn't a massive fan as it felt like the game was playing itself, much preferred Double Agent.
Yeah well conviction is the worst, even though I had fun with at the first playthrough but not so much when replaying it.

Blacklist is pretty good, but to me it still can't match chaos theory.

Blacklist was great and the lack of Ironside didn't matter at all.

The stealth gameplay was better than ever which is what they need to focus on. Who gives a fuck about the Fisher character or the story in a Splinter Cell game.

EGM1966

The secret recipe should be:

Blacklist mechanics without unneeded torture/controversy: the cute interrogations of previous games are the way to go
Michael Ironside: his voice makes Sam and his style work and really hope he's back
Better marketing: don't alienate fans by marketing to action crowd and focus on wrong style, show the appeal of the game as multi-option approach

Inviusx

Awesome to hear. To be honest until MGSV came out I think Blacklist was the finest stealth-action game ever released.

Artdayne

Older splinter cells had authenticity to it, blacklist had conveniently placed chest high walls and three enemies standing close to each other for the players to perform a cinematic headshots

Older Splinter Cells had conveniently wide hallways to orchestrate your cinematic Van Damme splits executions.

dex3108

I think that Splinter Cell should keep Blacklist mission structure and mobile center aka Paladin. In my opinion that works really well in Blacklist. I would love a bit bigger levels but not open world.

Jumeira

Banned
God damn, Scorpio release would be amazing. Shiiiit

They NEED to use MGSV movement and enemy ai as a blueprint. It's perfect

jelly

Neat. I kinda hope it will be 60fps though. Blacklist was nice and all but it felt really choppy. Ubisoft need to up their game. Doesn't have to be massive open world but big levels so graphics could still be nice.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
The return of Ironside is fantastic news, can't wait for the new game which probably won't be announced till E3 next year.

nOoblet16

Blacklist was amazing, having variety never hurts...which is why I do not understand when some people say they want a splinter cell game that does not allow for any playstyle other than stealth.

Why does it matter? You'd have a point if stealth got affected due to the inclusion of panther and assault in Blacklist but it didn't. You can ghost through the entire game and it gives you more points even.

The Grim missions in Blacklist were even better. I do hope that they dont go open world though, the level design gets affected that way.

Freeman76

This series is great, unlike many I appreciated the evolution of the series and actually loved conviction and blacklist as much as the others. I hope they continue on that path, really good news that they havent turned their back on the franchise

Broken Joystick

At least you can talk. Who are you?
I doubt it, that info is probably old. There hasn't been any info on the Splinter Cell movie for a long while, other than Tom Hardy still being attached.

I doubt it starts shooting this year, but it's still happening.

September last year:

There are two other intriguing projects you’re attached to that I wanted to ask you about: Splinter Cell, the film based on the video game, and the Elton John biopic Rocket Man, with you playing the legend himself. Are these happening?

Yeah, they are. The nature of these things are that you don’t want to pull the trigger on something that’s not ready to go, but I’m eager for both of those projects. Both of those stories require proper hard work for very different reasons. I need a good run of time to play Elton properly; I need to be able to play him very specifically. With Splinter Cell, it’s being written now by Frank John Hughes, who has a really awesome angle on it. I think next year we’ll begin shooting that. These aren’t just things on the IMDB to-do list. I really want to do these films. And playing Al Capone in Cicero. I really want to play Al Capone, so it’s a question of, as soon as the iron’s hot, grab it.

Ubisoft press release this August:

The Division is the latest Ubisoft property to join the Ubisoft Motion Picture production line-up. Splinter Cell, Ghost Recon, Watch Dogs, and Rabbids movies are all in development, and of course, Assassin’s Creed starring Michael Fassbender will be released this winter on December 21st.

Khasim

I pray that they will realise that people loved Splinter Cell for the stealth first and action/'panther gameplay' second. Ever since Double Agent the more they deviated from the formula from the first three games the worse it was for the game.

They also managed to make the idiotic mistake of getting rid of Ironside but keeping Sam I Blacklist, which combined with the poor marketing (cue the 'STEALTH' and AI gifs) led to bad sales on a best SC game we got since Chaos Theory.

However, knowing Ubi, they will most likely reboot or change the game to the point it is unrecognisable. I just want to stalk people slowly and methodically from the shadows like in the first three games, without that stupid Jason Bourne shit that started with Conviction (which IMO was a better game than Blacklist for the sole reason that it knew what it was at least) and led to levels being designed with it in mind.

I shiver at the thought of what they will do to Prince of Persia if they ever decide to revive that franchise. I'm starting to think it's a good thing they left it alone.

For the record, I'm a fan of Ubi games, I love most of them, but their business decisions are baffling most of the time.

After Chaos Theory:
"Hey, this stealth game sells a lot, let's make it reach more people and add some more combat elements!"

After Double Agent:
"Okay that didn't work, let's make it a modern day Assassin's Creed with some gimmicks! Social stealth, yeah!"

In the middle of development of Conviction:

"Nah, that doesn't work, let's just make it a Jason Bourne Simulator. Also, remove night vision goggles"

After Conviction:

"FINE, okay, we'll add stealth back. Here are RPG elements as well because why the fuck not. Oh, also, you can now just shoot your way through every mission. We also added an FPP shooter mission, you will love it!"

After Blacklist: ???

I'm really curious how this will all turn out.

eso76

I still like SC1 the best I think. Also enjoyed parts of Pandora tomorrow and chaos theory, but I didn't care for the open areas or the forced variety in the environments.
Infiltrating offices and buildings at night is my idea of splinter cell.

If they were to reboot the series I would really like a 'limited' sandbox approach: here's the building you have to infiltrate. It's entirely modeled, realistically built, perfectly accurate.
Here's the objective. Here's the blueprints. And here's the tools you can bring with you.
And you're given absolute freedom on how to tackle the objective. Think mgsv stealth but with a focus on interiors.

I don't mind a little Bourne, so maybe spice it up with a couple action missions (but not more). I have especially fond memories of that mission in conviction where you can barricade inside the bar in the middle of the park and the shootouts (or stealth kills) that followed were rather exciting. Yeah couple of those wouldn't hurt. Then it's back to stealth.

One of my fav gaming franchises. I was bummed there was no Splinter Cell news at E3 this year. Glad to hear of Ironsides return as well.

Looking forward to hearing about updates.

Auctopus

With their movement towards open-world games with RPG elements, I wonder if Ubi will give this game an Alpha Protocol-like structure.

Blacklist was surprisingly good after a messy marketing push prior to release. Ironsides returning means we're one step closer to a fantastic SC game if that team is involved.

YESSS

Blacklist was fantastic

JitteryCavernousCavy-size_restricted.gif

zaDANMo.jpg

thenexus6

Please don't be VR.
Please don't be multi-player only (R6)
Please don't be open world MMO style (Division)
Please go back to the stealth roots of the original SC

This. I love Splinter Cell, its one of my favourite franchises and I need it back.

- Awesome campaign
- Coop horde / objective mode
- Spies v Mercs

Neat. I kinda hope it will be 60fps though. Blacklist was nice and all but it felt really choppy. Ubisoft need to up their game. Doesn't have to be massive open world but big levels so graphics could still be nice.
Which version of Blacklist did you play? I thought it was really smooth on 360.

Top Bottom