• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: PS2 games for PS Plus Premium seem to be in the works

Draugoth

Gold Member
Implicit Conversions is the company that is bringing PS1/PSP classics to PS4/5 with their own syrup emulation engine after they reached out to sony to "start an experiment to do more emulation". On their website they mention:

"Right now, we're working on bringing games from the original PS1, PSP, and PS2 to the PS4 and PS5"

The same is also mentioned on their linkedin page:

"Among our clients, we are working with Sony Interactive Entertainment / PlayStation to bring PS1, PS2, and PSP games to the PS4 and PS5. Some of our partners and publishers include Disney Interactive, Bandai Namco, Square Enix, Konami, Capcom, Team17, and Bend Studio."

They also had an interview with Time Extension:

So it seems to be just a matter of time time

Source

saintjules

summon mortal kombat GIF

Deft Beck

Fix the ones you already have available! It's ridiculous how little they cared for the first half of this console's lifecycle.

I would also like more than just the random selection of licensed ports that plagued the PSP/PS1 lineup.

RAIDEN1

Wished they'd bring over PS3 and Vita games via emulation too...

Backwards compatibility is virtually the only reason I have a PS5 at this point.
Yeah but even on their state-of-the-art console PS5 backward compatibility has been severely lacking from day one, Sony put in a half-baked attempt at getting PS2 Catalogue to the PS4....You can't even play the likes of Split Second/Burnout/Force Unleashed on there, and these games mentioned haven't been bettered by the modern catalogue of today....

Skifi28

If it's done right with proper improvements and trophy support, it could be great. If they're planning on giving us PAL releases at 25fps again.....just don't even bother.

StueyDuck

The main games i want emulated on my Ps5 are Folklore, and MGS4, and then maybe also Resistance 1.
Oh I've got a huge ps3 list. MS:pR , starhawk
R1 and 2, kz2 and 3 , mgs4, ratchet HD collection and so on and so forth

But if they just remastered warhawk, and maybe gave it some sort of progression, thatd be me set for a while

I legitimately don't know if the zen2 processor is strong enough to emulate Cell with the necessary overhead for smooth emulation.
I believe the SPEs combined with the Element Interconnect Bus proved to be difficult to emulate earlier. Not sure how the Zen2 would handle that today. Anyone more knowledgable?

Roufianos

About time.

Sony initially claiming this service included 'PS2' games only to give us PS4 ports of PS2 games was really something. Kind of spin you expected form Mattrick-era Microsoft.

Last edited:

sachos

Lets hope they want to improve their emulation quality. I find it awful that free community developed emulators are x10 times better than the official offering. And finally, PS2 games are really lacking on the service and the PS5 CPU should be good enough to emulate most of them just fine.

Agent X

Implicit Conversions is the company that is bringing PS1/PSP classics to PS4/5 with their own syrup emulation engine after they reached out to sony to "start an experiment to do more emulation".

I never heard of Implicit Conversions until today, but now I'm glad I did. After reading some of the links in the OP, I've learned that these are the folks who developed the emulation techniques that are used for PS1 and PSP games on PS4 and PS5. I think they've done a rather good job so far, with some useful "quality of life" features like multiple save states and rewinding the gameplay. (Their video rendering filters could use some work, though.) They've even implemented some clever, thoughtful additions such as support for the right analog stick in Super Stardust Portable, and PS3-style controls for Resistance: Retribution.

If this company is beginning to tackle PS2 games on PS4/PS5, then they have my vote of confidence. It was a shame that Sony gave up on their previous efforts with "PS2 classics" after such a short time, but there were numerous flaws with both the technical aspects and the business aspects. The methods that Sony and Implicit Conversions have used with their recent batch PS1 and PSP games have addressed a large number of those flaws. I'm optimistic that these guys could deliver better results.

Oh yeah. Behind subscription. How original...

The vast majority of the PS1 and PSP games that exist on PS Plus Premium can also be purchased from PS Store individually, without a subscription.

On top o this, Sony honors cross-buy for these games from previous purchases on the PS3/PSP/PS Vita, so you might even have some of these games in your PS4/PS5 library already.

jorgejjvr

I always found it backwards to charge the MOST for a tier with OLD games

Where with XBOX the highest tier is for new games, including day 1 games

One makes sense to me, one doesnt. Extra will always be enough for me on Sonys end, premium would only make sense if im getting their 1st party in a reasonable amount of time, not to play old games ive already played

Last edited:

Kerotan

If it's done right with proper improvements and trophy support, it could be great. If they're planning on giving us PAL releases at 25fps again.....just don't even bother.
I played 2 ports from these guys on ps premium. Killzone Liberation and resistance retribution. Both psp games that got PS4/5 versions.

They upscaled the graphics to 4k
Trophy support
Smoothed out the graphics slightly
Ps5 controller support
And a sick rewind feature where you can go backwards like it's a movie if you made a mistake.

I don't see why PS2 games wouldn't get all of the above.

Too little, too late. They should've made at least a small selection of PS1/2/3 titles available to purchase individually for non-subscribers years ago. It's not like good emulation is rocket science, as proven by countless random but dedicated individuals everywhere for decades. These multi billion dollar companies could easily assemble teams of devs to make something proprietary that shits all over community based emulation solutions. But they don't. They're greedy, lazy and don't give a rat's ass about their own legacy and the history of the art form. It's a disgrace.

bender

What time is it?
I always found it backwards to charge the MOST for a tier with OLD games

Where with XBOX the highest tier is for new games, including day 1 games

One makes sense to me, one doesnt. Extra will always be enough for me on Sonys end, premium would only make sense if im getting their 1st party in a reasonable amount of time, not to play old games ive already played

Weirder yet is locking game trial in that tier which you'd think you'd want everyone to have access to, subscription or not, to help sell games. It really feels like they wanted three tiers to their service and really had to scrape to find differentiators. Microsoft's service is great and all, but I'd guess things like Day 1 on Gamepass and their wonderful BC wouldn't exists if the XBone hadn't struggled so mightily. Sony's BC offering might lag behind Microsoft's, but at least the bring "new" titles out consistently where Microsoft has seemingly abandoned their efforts (sadly).

Kokoloko85

They started doing this on PS4. Had a decent sized library of PS2 games on PS3 And Vita.

Sony sometimes is such a lazy cheap ass. They should have a full library of PS1/PS2/PSP/PSvita games by now. And even PS3, they act like they are a poor company that cant afford to do these things…

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Wished they'd bring over PS3 and Vita games via emulation too...

Backwards compatibility is virtually the only reason I have a PS5 at this point.
And all the new 3rd Party games.

Agent X

I don't see why PS2 games wouldn't get all of the above.

That's what I'm thinking, too.

Sony must have been impressed enough with the results of Implicit Conversions' work that they allowed them to extend their efforts to cover PS2 games.

Also, seeing how trophies were required by Sony on the earlier PS2 games on PS4, but are now optional for PS1/PSP games on PS4/PS5, I have a hunch that any future PS2 games might keep trophies optional. This might actually encourage some publishers and developers to bring over their PS2 games now, as that appeared to be a big obstacle to doing so in the past.

They should've made at least a small selection of PS1/2/3 titles available to purchase individually for non-subscribers years ago.

Oh, man, do I have good news for you!

Ever heard of PlayStation Store? There's a whole bunch of PS1 and PS2 games up there for purchase right now.

Fake

I know. There are also some games (such as certain titles from Bandai Namco) that aren't sold individually and/or don't honor the old-cross buy purchases.

I'd suggest taking up these issues with those games' publishers.

I'm taking with you, telling others about ' I have good news'.

There is no fucking reason to lock an old ass emulation game behind subscription, unless you want your costumers to rely on emulation.

Last edited:

Agent X

I taking with you, telling others about ' I have good news'.

There is no fucking reason to lock an old ass ass emulation game behind subscription, unless you want your costumers to rely on emulation.

I agree with your point, but there are also a lot of games from other publishers that are not "locked behind a subscription".

HerjansEagleFeeder HerjansEagleFeeder suggested that they make "at least a small selection" of PS1/PS2/PS3 games available for purchase outside of a subscription. My point is that some of these publishers have already done this.

If Capcom and Bandai Namco aren't doing likewise, then it seems your gripe should be with those publishers, and not with the initiative in general.

bender

What time is it?
I know. There are also some games (such as certain titles from Bandai Namco) that aren't sold individually and/or don't honor the old-cross buy purchases.

I'd suggest taking up these issues with those games' publishers.

Just curious, but if you owned RE: Director's Cut from the PSP/PS3 days, are you not able to access it on PS4/PS5 without a Sub?

Top Bottom