• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Rumor] Quantic Dream's Second AAA Project

BlackM1st

Banned
Fahrenheit was really cool.

Heavy Rain... well, I completed it and even had some fun.

Humor based doesn't inspire hope
Unfortunately this.

I had fun killing all the kids in Until Dawn tho... We were in a party with a friend via remote play on PS4 and he let me "play" lol Definitely TOP 5 PS4 memories for me lmao

BlackM1st

Banned
They lost me at cross gen.

fuck you and your game. we done here with this shit.
The Office Reaction GIF

Finally, a reasonable person, having a reasonable expectations of current gen only games in fucking 2022 lmao

Dick Jones

Gold Member
Place your bets...
Who's in the shower?
How long before the uncomfortable sex scene?
Will the characters have a weird French accent in the game but American?
How many homeless people are in the game?
Dream sequence, yes or no?

BlackM1st

Banned
Y’all are crazy. Heavy Rain and Detroit are on the Mt Rushmore of Gaming. I’ll buy and play whatever Quantic Dream releases.
Mr. Cage, is that you? Oh, what an honor having you here!

Play Fahrenheit, you'll definitely like it too.

Last edited:

Miles708

Heavy Rain was interesting but still a tangeld mess, Detroit tho was genuinely good. I'll follow with interest.

SteadyEvo

Mr. Cage, is that you? Oh, what an honor having you here!

Play Fahrenheit, you'll definitely like it too.
No studio nails 100% of their games

The humor part of the story concerns me but Detroit was damn near perfect in my book and I can’t see them taking a step back.

Inspector Q

Y’all are crazy. Heavy Rain and Detroit are on the Mt Rushmore of Gaming. I’ll buy and play whatever Quantic Dream releases.
I actually enjoyed the hell out of Heavy Rain. I kind of got lucky and f'd up the detective's part and ended up accusing the wrong guy. Turns out that is actually the best ending for that particular character, lol.

Detroit was pretty cool as well. I think Clancy Brown's character was my favorite part of that game, though. That dude was a straight up asshole, but hilarious at the same time.

Definitely looking forward to whatever these guys come up with next. As weird as David Cage is sometimes, I think it's nice to have someone like him that seems to have a vision that kind of steers the direction of his games. I feel like we are missing those types of guys since the dev teams have gotten so damn big nowadays. Everything seems to be churned out on a conveyor belt by corporations trying to chase some new fad. BR games, Open World games, etc.

Of course, sometimes following a dude's vision leads to shit like Beyond2Souls...but what can you do? lol

Agent X

Humor based doesn't inspire hope

I disagree. I'd like to see a light-hearted adventure with a flair for humor that also manages to have deep gameplay. It would be a nice change from the generally serious nature that often goes with this type of game.

Rivet

Didn't know so many people hate QD games. I really liked all of them. Heavy rain was really fun even though the killer was spoiled for me. Detroit was really good as well. I'm looking forward to their next games.

I liked their games too, especially Detroit and Heavy Rain (Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit and Beyond : Two Souls are not on the same level in my opinion). I just think they'd be even better with more solid writing and stories, so probably when it's not written by David Cage. To be fair, I remember Detroit had other writers.

Last edited:
Get ready for medieval fantasy with Matrix style wire fu action!

I guess at some point a maiden will be pouring water over herself in a tub instead of showering, can't wait to see next gen breasts.

Last edited:

Inspector Q

I liked their games too, especially Detroit and Heavy Rain (Indigo Prophecy / Fahrenheit and Beyond : Two Souls are not on the same level in my opinion). I just think they'd be even better with more solid writing and stories, so probably when it's not written by David Cage. To be fair, I remember Detroit had other writers.
Yeah, I think Cage has been working with other writers to help him in that regard. I still think it's nice to have his off-the-wall ideas, though, lol.

I think my main issue with Beyond2Souls was the fact that Jodie was the only playable character which means there was almost no tension during the game because every time you screwed up Aiden would just come and save your sorry ass. These narrative driven, QTE style games are a bit more intense when your screw ups can mean a particular character will live or die. Beyond2Souls was basically missing that completely.

Also, if I recall, the way the game told it's story in a non-chronological fashion was kind of ridiculous. One scene you would be playing a 10 year old Jodie, the next would be a 20 year old Jodie and then right after that you would be playing as a goddamn infant Jodie or some shit, lol. It was a bit nonsensical.

Rivet

Yeah, I think Cage has been working with other writers to help him in that regard. I still think it's nice to have his off-the-wall ideas, though, lol.

I think my main issue with Beyond2Souls was the fact that Jodie was the only playable character which means there was almost no tension during the game because every time you screwed up Aiden would just come and save your sorry ass. These narrative driven, QTE style games are a bit more intense when your screw ups can mean a particular character will live or die. Beyond2Souls was basically missing that completely.

Also, if I recall, the way the game told it's story in a non-chronological fashion was kind of ridiculous. One scene you would be playing a 10 year old Jodie, the next would be a 20 year old Jodie and then right after that you would be playing as a goddamn infant Jodie or some shit, lol. It was a bit nonsensical.

Yes, Beyond was flawed, it's clearly not their best game... They patched out the non-chronological order in the reedition, it's probably better like that. I guess most people who played the game agreed with you on that part. I certainly do. I agree choices and QTEs must have drastic consequences too.

Detroit and Heavy Rain are a lot better. In this same kind of narrative games, the best is probably Until Dawn from Supermassive though, maybe because it was written by real writers Graham Reznick and Larry Fessenden. I also liked the latest Dark Pictures Anthology, House of Ashes (and Little Hope too for its great ending twist and overall story).

I think those games have a great future, maybe in VR too. I buy all of them day one and finish them all, most of them several times to see the different branches. Devs just have to hire good writers, because those games are stories even before being video games.

Last edited:

Inspector Q

Yes, Beyond was flawed, it's clearly not their best game... They patched out the non-chronological order in the reedition, it's probably better like that. I guess most people who played the game agreed with you on that part. I certainly do. I agree choices and QTEs must have drastic consequences too.

Detroit and Heavy Rain are a lot better. In this same kind of narrative games, the best is probably Until Dawn from Supermassive though, because it was written by real writers Graham Reznick and Larry Fessenden. I also liked the latest Dark Pictures Anthology, House of Ashes (and Little Hope too for its great ending twist and overall story).

I think those games have a great future, maybe in VR too. I buy all of them day one and finish them all, most of them several times to see the different branches. Devs just have to hire real writers, because those games are stories even before being video games.
Yeah, Until Dawn was quite surprising on how well it was written. Characters who you thought you would hate you ended up liking by the end. That twist in the middle was also really well done.

I only played Man of Medan so far from the Dark Pictures Anthology and that was a definite step down. I also played that Hidden Agenda game. Both of these were clearly on a smaller budget than Until Dawn. But yeah, I have heard better things about Little Hope and House of Ashes so I will eventually get to those.

I just generally enjoy these types of games. I can get invested in them and generally finish them in a few sittings. They are a nice change of pace from all the open world BS that comes out nowadays that take hundreds of hours to finish.

Loved Detrot and Heavy Rain. The branching narratives are so good. I actually liked the stories for most part too.

I get the impression he writes some of the stuff when he's high though. I mean an android holocaust? Come on lol

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Loved Detrot and Heavy Rain. The branching narratives are so good. I actually liked the stories for most part too.

I get the impression he writes some of the stuff when he's high though. I mean an android holocaust? Come on lol

What's wrong with that? Its a fairly standard humanist SF trope after all.

From its very beginnings allegory has been used to examine issues that would otherwise be highly controversial; you can go back to Frankenstein in 1818 for example.

You can fairly criticize Cage's lack of subtlety, but even at his most "out there" its all well-trodden ground within the genre.

If anything I kinda wish he wasn't so beholden to American movies and fiction in the presentation when as a writer his sensibilities are distinctly European. I mean for instance; Heavy Rain on the surface seems llke its trying to be a neo-noir type of thing like David Fincher's Seven, but especially when you factor in all the dream and fantasy sequences he had to cut out, its pretty obviously more in the subgenres of the 70's Italian "Giallo" or the German "Krimi" movies before them.

Kojima's stuff is if anything even more in love with Hollywood and movie tropes, but he puts so much of himself and Japanese video-game culture in there that his self-indulgence becomes a big part of the appeal. Cage's stuff kinda lacks a bit in identity and personality for me. And its a shame really because I felt that Detroit in every way a big step forward for him and QD as a piece of interactive entertainment.

Last edited:

yurinka

I liked Heavy Rain, Beyond and Detroit so much. I'm looking forward to Star Wars Eclipse and would get this game if it really exist too.

John Wick

Looks like certain people have already made their minds up? You haven't even seen anything yet but already the writings on the wall for these next 2 games from the studio.

Dick Jones

Gold Member
The PS4 demo of the sorceror was funny and graphically gorgeous. Even anyone who hates Cage can't deny the beauty of the games. The issue is I dont trust Cage to make a full game that won't be offensive or cringe.

However I will give him credit as Connor and Hank segments (Detroit) where they were investigating crime scenes were fantastic and they would be smart to lean into those sections to flesh out a game in the future. I'd buy that game day one. It doesn't have to be Hank and Connor, just two detectives. Also bring back Clancy Brown, he was the MVP of that game.

Just cut out the supernatural, offensive parts about minorities, uncomfortable sex or shower scenes and I'll be interested. Cage needs a leash to stop the weird shit. Remember that Sony stopped a fourth character who was a sex worker in Detroit so he needs a filter and I hope they have one going forward

Now that QD isn't just doing exclusive games, they suck now. What a coincidence lol

Have you been living under a fucking rock where the internet has been collectively shitting on QD and David Cage in particular since they released Indigo Prophecy?

WTF...! You must be either woefully ignorant or utterly delusional to post something like this.

SomeGit

Have you been living under a fucking rock where the internet has been collectively shitting on QD and David Cage in particular since they released Indigo Prophecy?

WTF...! You must be either woefully ignorant or utterly delusional to post something like this.

Yeah, QD writing was always subpar even for video game standards.

Fahrenheit/ID is my go to example for a game that starts decent then completely shits itself in the end, when Kane becomes a zombie that matrix fights an old Aztec priest and has to run from the physical manifestation of the internet.
Excluding Detroid, because I haven't played that one yet, Heavy Rain is QD best game only because the team fought with Cage to remove the stupid psycho link between Ethan and Shelby.
Still HR has plot holes the size of the Grand Canyon and only gets it's final twist because the game outright lies to you and retcons scenes in the end.

Last edited:

Myths

Got to see the art direction… don’t wanna just hear medieval fantasy and it ends up being the same old uninspired “look”

Last edited:
Top Bottom