• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exputer: NetEase Acquiring 100% of Quantic Dream (Makers of Heavy Rain, Detroit: Become Human)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Update:

The deal was announced a while ago, today's news is that the deal is for 100 million Euros.

-

NetEase, the Chinese internet technology company will reportedly acquire 100% of Quantic Dream, with an announcement likely to come this summer, sources suggest.

The company purchased a minority stake of Quantic Dream in 2019 to “support [Quantic Dream] ‘s vision of becoming a global, multi-franchise entertainment company, and to develop advanced technologies and games for the future,” it was reported in a press release. But now, it seems like NetEase will be acquiring 100% of the company. The deal has apparently been in talks for months, but it’s unclear whether or not the deal has been 100% finalized.

Last edited:

//DEVIL//

Another Chinese company owns a western studio. They are slowly creeping in and having more control in the industry. This Trend is kinda worrying, to be honest.

Not against any nationality or anything. But it seems Chinese companies are buying studios faster than the west and japan combined.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Another Chinese company owns a western studio. They are slowly creeping in and having more control in the industry. This Trend is kinda worrying, to be honest.

Not against any nationality or anything. But it seems Chinese companies are buying studios faster than the west and japan combined.
Quantic Dream spends years making niche adventure single player games. This is throwing money away.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
David Cage > Kojima/Miyamoto/Druckmann.
Billy Madison Shut Up GIF

This is when i get upset at Microsoft. Should’ve bought these guys for $100 million. Crystal dynamics and the deus Ex studio also went for $300 million.
We should ask ourselves why not even Sony who workd with them on three games wanted to buy them and why they ended in the hands of a chinese company for cheap and no big publisher was interested. It's pretty curious I'd say

$106m for a studio that makes SP, interactive dramas seems like the right amount, especially one with a checkered release history, tenuous workplace culture, and is foreign from the parent operator. The fact they have a license to make a Star Wars game had to up the price a fair amount too.

David Cage > Kojima/Miyamoto/Druckmann.

This is very clever. By trolling Cage being better, when obviously everyone knows that hack isn't anywhere close to even Druckmann in that list, you're shifting the attention away from the rest of the meat.

Is this some stealth equalization post of Druckmann with industry legends like Miyamoto and Kojima? The dude barely is in the league of one hit wonders like Jaffe, Straley etc.

I swear, zoomers try their absolute hardest to equate Druckmann with industry legends and justify/validate/ sleep over it. Lmfaoooo

The shop keeper from Omikron Fuwan, finally got his revenge by buying David Cage and properties for his stereotype voice directing.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
David Cage games are about as good as getting diarrhea and food poisoning from Taco Bell. He should’ve had to pay them $100M just to let them publish his games:

Crayon

I finally played heavy rain last year. I laughed so hard it hurt. I thought the demo was cool when it came out, though. I thought the detroit demo was cool too. I should try it. Heavy rain was memorable to say the least.

They don't really need to. They have one of the biggest motion capture studio in Europe and they sell motion capture services/editing for TV adverts/TV shows/cinema/gaming, etc.
okay - this i wasn't aware of, & it's the only thing that makes this deal make any sense. thanks!...

Last edited:

aries_71

Not against any nationality or anything. But it seems Chinese companies are buying studios faster than the west and Japan combined.
Wait until the Activision deal fails and these guys come to the rescue at half the price.

Fredrik

This is when i get upset at Microsoft. Should’ve bought these guys for $100 million. Crystal dynamics and the deus Ex studio also went for $300 million.
Quantic Dream (might be more logical for Playstation though?)

+
Asobo (Best MS Flight Sim dev)
Moon Studios (Ori, dead IP now)
Splash Damage (Gears Tactics)
Neon Giant (The Ascent, great GP launch)
Double Helix (Killer Instinct)
Iron Galaxy (Killer Instinct, dead IP now)
Crystal Dynamics (Another MS IP in the hands of an outside studio - Perfect Dark)

So many logical purchases could’ve been made instead of wasting time losing the ABK acqusition deal.

Last edited:

Rac3r

Quantic Dream (might be more logical for Playstation though?)

+
Asobo (Best MS Flight Sim dev)
Moon Studios (Ori, dead IP now)
Splash Damage (Gears Tactics)
Neon Giant (The Ascent, great GP launch)
Double Helix (Killer Instinct)
Iron Galaxy (Killer Instinct, dead IP now)
Crystal Dynamics (Another MS IP in the hands of an outside studio - Perfect Dark)

So many logical purchases could’ve been made instead of wasting time losing the ABK acqusition deal.

Interior Night as well. They partnered with Xbox on 'As Dusk Falls' (Xbox published I believe), and the studio director worked at Quantic Dream as a design lead. So many options that make more sense than ABK, but of course Microsoft wanted to be greedy.

Fredrik

Interior Night as well. They partnered with Xbox on 'As Dusk Falls' (Xbox published I believe), and the studio director worked at Quantic Dream as a design lead. So many options that make more sense than ABK, but of course Microsoft wanted to be greedy.
Yeah, in swedish ”den som gapar efter mycket mister ofta hela stycket”, grasp it all, lose it all.
They had something going with Bloober too and they’re in bed with Sony now. And Platinum are nearly on their knees wanting to work with MS but it’s just about COD now, or King as some claim 🙄
Can’t believe they didn’t work out a deal to publish Tomb Raider when they’re working so closely with Crystal Dynamics. Amazon got that instead now, right? It’s like they’ve closed their wallet completely everywhere else until the ABK circus is over.

Did you see the monsters they put in the games now they try to call women? Not to mention all the other woke bullcrap.
So you want the entirety of the western gaming industry to fall because of a few mediocre-looking women in some AAA games?

You guys can choose any other vice(loot boxes, gambling, broken games, rough launches, delays, etc.) but the main one you focus on is attractiveness?

Moreso, what does Quantic Dream have to do with that?

It just takes a minute of me stepping back, questioning, and looking around to see why I can’t buy into what you’re pitching.

So you want the entirety of the western gaming industry to fall because of a few mediocre-looking women in some AAA games?

You guys can choose any other vice(loot boxes, gambling, broken games, rough launches, delays, etc.) but the main one you focus on is attractiveness?

Moreso, what does Quantic Dream have to do with that?

It just takes a minute of me stepping back, questioning, and looking around to see why I can’t buy into what you’re pitching.
You only read the first sentence of my post and it was also the answer on another question in the first place.

Your other points are also good reasons by the way.

Top Bottom