• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running | OT | Run, Forest, run!

Cyberpunkd

I tried searching REALLY hard for this subject, best I got was Maiden Voyage Maiden Voyage thread for Running Day 2021...

Here we discuss the glorious passion for running i.e. putting one foot in front of the other in an organized and regular manner; thus covering the distance.

Just Do It Running GIF by Rocky

My story: was always reasonably fit, but nothing crazy. For years thought as YT influencers that running will fuck up your knees and considered it boring. Fast forward to this year and probably motivated by Covid and not doing much over the last 24 months - I got a running watch, a pair of running shoes (the old ones were 3-4 years old of continuous use, the sole was completely used up) and decided to work on my fitness. Fortunately I live next to the park, which keeps me away from the cars and allows me to concentrate on my running.

Goals for the next 12 months:
5K: sub 20
10K: sub 45
Marathon: sub 4 hours

Let's hear your stories and goals.

Great idea for a thread. Running is such a massive part of my life, though I never want to bore the people around me with the details. But other runners get it!

Swam competitively from ages 12-21. Did not aerobic exercise for the better part of five years after that and wondered why I felt like crap all the time.

Started running just for something to do. Started with a mile, then two, then three and so on and found my mood and fitness improved. Haven't looked back and it's something that brings me great pride.

I've done a marathon each year for the past four years, with sprint/Olympic/and a Half-Ironman triathlons thrown in there, too. Last year was my best-yet marathon time at 3:33. My 2022 marathon is coming up in November, and I'm following a training plan for the first time. My practice times seem to be setting me up for a PR, but that remains to be seen.

Btw: What's the best running shoe? Brooks Ghost are the best I've found so far.

Cyberpunkd

Great idea for a thread. Running is such a massive part of my life, though I never want to bore the people around me with the details. But other runners get it!

Swam competitively from ages 12-21. Did not aerobic exercise for the better part of five years after that and wondered why I felt like crap all the time.

Started running just for something to do. Started with a mile, then two, then three and so on and found my mood and fitness improved. Haven't looked back and it's something that brings me great pride.

I've done a marathon each year for the past four years, with sprint/Olympic/and a Half-Ironman triathlons thrown in there, too. Last year was my best-yet marathon time at 3:33. My 2022 marathon is coming up in November, and I'm following a training plan for the first time. My practice times seem to be setting me up for a PR, but that remains to be seen.

Btw: What's the best running shoe? Brooks Ghost are the best I've found so far.
I cannot even swim very well, I can only to it on my back and I tire easily - need to make it my goal to learn breast stroke before I turn 40.

I run with Ghosts 14 and they are great, but I will maybe try Vaporfly or Hyperion next (Brooks' answer to Vaporfly).
I love running. I had to stop obsessing over metrics last year due to an injury. I am a late comer to running and really only started in earnest a few years ago.

I love how meditative it is to run out in the countryside.
I get you - I love running without a phone or headphones, just me thinking about things for 1 hour per day. Does wonders to your mental health.

My first marathon is coming in April 2023 (Paris), should be an incredible experience.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member

I hate running but I know the benefits. Longest I've ever done is 5k and I'm almost back at that now.

Debating whether to focus on quicker 5k or push the distance next to say 8k. It's so boring though. Mainly treadmill running as I can manage my pace easier. Going outside and I take off like Forrest then get gassed like Joshua.

Need to manage my breathing as well

Cyberpunkd

Debating whether to focus on quicker 5k or push the distance next to say 8k. It's so boring though.
It’s complicated - I like running outside, but not through the city: cars, signal lights, other people ruin your pace. I have a park next to me but I guess doing laps all the time will get boring after some point. Still it at least eliminates all the diacractions.

Raven117

I absolutely LOVE running. The sweet spot for me is between 3-5 miles maybe 3 times a week (sometimes I replace a run with sprinting HIIT or something). But man...those steady pace long runs are awesome. I do try and cross-train with cycling as well. Overtime, running does beat you up.

(But unless its the absolute ONLY option available, no tredmill...can't do it).

Got a marathon coming up in a few weeks (my fifth). I was following a plan and was on track to PR. But I did a stupid thing and got injured: I changed my form to increase step cadence while also increasing my mileage. Felt fine during the runs but after: constant dull pain in my lower abs, over the bladder, like in the tendons that would connect your abs to your thighs. Hasn't gone away in months and hurts when running, getting out of bed, or coughing/sneezing.

Strange injury as I couldnt find people with similar symptoms online other than those with hernias (it ain't a hernia).

So now my goal has shifted from PR-ing to at least finishing so I can get the medal which will complete a four-year series.

Injuries blow, huh? Can anyone relate?

TTOOLL

I love running!! Did four races this year (3 trail) and decided to take some time off. I’m running twice a week now at most because I started BJJ which is DESTROYING me.

No current goal, just keep my Vo2 where it is (55) according to Garmin. I’m almost 37 and my body just won’t recover so well anymore so resting my joints will be nice.

Tip for newcomers, get yourself a Garmin 255, it will help your tremendously, no matter what your goals are.

Cyberpunkd

Running is just walking fast innit?
Watch this:

Anyway, winter came to Paris and I got a few items to stop freezing my ass off:
- neck cover
- a hat (I had a wool one that I lost, this one is proper synthetic Salomon)
- gloves

Also got a running jacket for those mornings when everything goes to shit. No excuses!

Lastly - I got enrolled in Garmin Coach for the semi with 13 weeks to go, algo shows my goal of 01:45:00 is doable, let's see how it will go.

Last edited:

Outlier

Watch this:

Anyway, winter came to Paris and I got a few items to stop freezing my ass off:
- neck cover
- a hat (I had a wool one that I lost, this one is proper synthetic Salomon)
- gloves

Also got a running jacket for those mornings when everything goes to shit. No excuses!

Lastly - I got enrolled in Garmin Coach for the semi with 13 weeks to go, algo shows my goal of 01:45:00 is doable, let's see how it will go.

The different really does come from relaxing your body. I notice this at work (constant physical workout) when walking around that I move fast and more effectively when I let myself relax.

Cyberpunkd

How is everyone doing?

I keep following the program even thought it is -2 to -5 here in Paris in the morning. Got some hybrid trail/road waterproof shoes since there was a light snow yesterday, and I had speed exercises to do...shoes held incredibly well to the trail.

I guess I could go and run in the gym, but I really, really hate running on the treadmill.

Cyberpunkd

I am in the middle of Garmin coach semi marathon, and yesterday was the first time I actually maintained course pace for 30 minutes flat, heart rate zones are also steadily moving down - nothing in Z5, 70% in Z2-Z3. Feeling incredible. We are on track, I will probably push for better time.

Cyberpunkd

I do try and cross-train with cycling as well. Overtime, running does beat you up.
I think I reached the point where I need to put cycling on a rest day, need to use that gym subscription (I signed up in September, probably went 3 times in total).

Week 9 out of 13 for HM prep, each time I think I will not be able to do the workout on target I somehow manage - yesterday held race pace flat for 45 minutes and that without any water or energy gels (because I was dumb).

Last edited:

Raven117

I think I reached the point where I need to put cycling on a rest day, need to use that gym subscription (I signed up in September, probably went 3 times in total).

Week 9 out of 13 for HM prep, each time I think I will not be able to do the workout on target I somehow manage - yesterday held race pace flat for 45 minutes and that without any water or energy gels (because I was dumb).
I mean, as much as I’d rather run or cycle, lifting (properly) is probably the best thing you can do for yourself for overall health.

But awesome that you kept up a race pace for that long! That’s serious!

MaestroMike

Gold Member
during winter u just wanna walk/do slow-twitch exercises if u live in a cold place the cold weather will make up for the lack of running and youll use more fat for fuel u don't need too much carbs. during spring/summer when its warmer you don't have to worry about heating urself and can run more and do more fast-twitch stuff. if u really wanna run make sure to wear layers to prevent u from burning too much oil and u can focus on carb loading ur fast twitch muscles and then u can go for a run. but february is coldest for most places and will burn a lot of ur energy if ur spending more time outside so just walk this month and just use ur slow twitch muscles focus on fueling with more fats/dark chocolate/nuts/seeds and greens (blend with fruit/citrus/acid) to generate heat and keep ur organs warm and heated. walk during winter, run during summer. transition between the two modes during spring and fall, but for now blubber mode engage

Pbs Nature Ocean GIF by Nature on PBS

200.gif

oil flowing GIF by University of Alaska Fairbanks

paul thomas anderson film GIF by Tech Noir

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
I was put on a "no high intensity workouts" order from my doctor last year, but I've just been given a clean bill of health finally and told I can return to running and lifting. I was also put on a diet/exercise plan that I'm told will make me drop 2lbs a week if I stick to it religiously.

So I signed up for a 25k trail run that's happening in August, and I'm hoping to have lost about 50lbs by then. Not giving myself an out this time. The race has some insane vertical (and it's at altitude, while I live at sea level), so I've got a lot of training to do over the next 6 months. My plan is to grind in turn based or strategy RPGs while I'm on the treadmill or spin bike, probably a couple of hours a day.

I did my fifth annual marathon back in November '22. With starting a new career in December, I've been busy and making weather-related excuses not to run. My ass needs to get back into it.

The few times I've gone out this winter, I was amazed at how quickly I lost that conditioning. My average mile pace was a full minute slower than it was in October, and for shorter distances.

Not too concerned, though. I typically hermit up in the winter, then get back at it once the ice and snow lets up. I'm signed up for a half-marathon in May, so as long as I've got ~3 months foundation before that, I'll be solid.

Fenix34

I remove teeth
I have questions. I train every day my target 10 or more km at day.
But i have problem with sleep and also happens periodically increasing pressure at night.

Cyberpunkd

I have questions. I train every day my target 10 or more km at day.
But i have problem with sleep and also happens periodically increasing pressure at night.
You are way overdoing it. Get some rest days in there and make varied runs e.g. speed workouts, tempo runs, easy runs, long runs.

Went running for 2 hours on Saturday and I think I didn't wear enough and messed up my thermoregulation because for the rest of the evening I was shivering. Went to sleep, barely any recovery. Decided to take three days off also to cure that damn cough that's been with me for the past 2 weeks.

Today comes, Garmin shows 'Peak' status. Went out for 15 minutes 4:30/km, nailed it.

It Makes Me Feel Great Season 2 GIF by Rock This Boat: New Kids On The Block

I don't get it. Ran 3.5 miles on February 12th. Nearly fainted and had to stop before reaching home and walk the rest of the way.

Then February 19th, I ran 10 miles at a faster pace and with no problem.

Not sure what happened with nearly passing out. Can dehydration cause nausea and pass-out levels of "hitting the wall" like that? I don't know what else it would've been.

I don't get it. Ran 3.5 miles on February 12th. Nearly fainted and had to stop before reaching home and walk the rest of the way.

Then February 19th, I ran 10 miles at a faster pace and with no problem.

Not sure what happened with nearly passing out. Can dehydration cause nausea and pass-out levels of "hitting the wall" like that? I don't know what else it would've been.

Yes dehydration can cause those and worse, panic attacks can do similar. I bought a set of weight scales that also has a basic hydration measurement, if you have bare feet. It measures the resistance based on water vs salt conductivity or some shit. I'm sure it's inaccurate but I find it a measurable and consistent method for gauging my hydration level day by day. You can also generally just go by the colour of your pee, clear and you're good, gold ain't so golden, brown you going down.

Sometimes your equilibrium is just off e.g. a cold or infection that doesn't bother you per se but messes with your balance etc. Also whether you fuelled up with food that day or not e.g. no meals all day and then running isn't a great idea.

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Yes dehydration can cause those and worse, panic attacks can do similar. I bought a set of weight scales that also has a basic hydration measurement, if you have bare feet. It measures the resistance based on water vs salt conductivity or some shit. I'm sure it's inaccurate but I find it a measurable and consistent method for gauging my hydration level day by day. You can also generally just go by the colour of your pee, clear and you're good, gold ain't so golden, brown you going down.

Sometimes your equilibrium is just off e.g. a cold or infection that doesn't bother you per se but messes with your balance etc. Also whether you fuelled up with food that day or not e.g. no meals all day and then running isn't a great idea.
I really have issues with running in cold weather. Like today - everyone says that around 5 degrees Celsius you should mostly run only in base layer and shorts, maybe with gloves. I did go at around 7 degrees today and around 30 minute mark when the sweat was starting to cool down I started to really feel colder, not warmer. So now I have to make a huge decision (since you cannot wear a bib on your leg) whether to go and run a semi with only a base layer hoping that by running faster I will stay warm (run was at 05:40/km, race pace will be 05:00/km) or just wear a second layer knowing I cannot remove it since the bib will be attached to it.

I really have issues with running in cold weather. Like today - everyone says that around 5 degrees Celsius you should mostly run only in base layer and shorts, maybe with gloves. I did go at around 7 degrees today and around 30 minute mark when the sweat was starting to cool down I started to really feel colder, not warmer. So now I have to make a huge decision (since you cannot wear a bib on your leg) whether to go and run a semi with only a base layer hoping that by running faster I will stay warm (run was at 05:40/km, race pace will be 05:00/km) or just wear a second layer knowing I cannot remove it since the bi⁸b will be attached to it.
I can relate to this, and I have a suggestion. For my last two marathons (both in November, starting early morning in the mid-30s degrees F and getting warmer as it went), I wore the bib on my t-shirt base layer with a sweatshirt I knew I could throw away mid-race over it.

While I still had the sweatshirt on,, I would pull it up as I crossed the timing platforms so my bib would register. Eventually, as the race went on and I warmed up, I threw both sweatshirts away at water stations.

And if your problem is staying warm, you can always opt to leave the sweatshirt on.

Nobody cared that my bib wasn't always visible amidst thousands of other runners, and this method kept me at an ideal temperature for the race

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

I can relate to this, and I have a suggestion. For my last two marathons (both in November, starting early morning in the mid-30s degrees F and getting warmer as it went), I wore the bib on my t-shirt base layer with a sweatshirt I knew I could throw away mid-race over it.

While I still had the sweatshirt on,, I would pull it up as I crossed the timing platforms so my bib would register. Eventually, as the race went on and I warmed up, I threw both sweatshirts away at water stations.

And if your problem is staying warm, you can always opt to leave the sweatshirt on.

Nobody cared that my bib wasn't always visible amidst thousands of other runners, and this method kept me at an ideal temperature for the race
That's one solution. I will probably run with an upper layer, it's not really a sweatshirt, or at least it's one of these thin layers from Salomon, so a little bit better at evacuating heat. I can also replace the base layer (long sleeve compression) with a regular running t-shirt underneath, this should help the air move a little bit more. What do you think?

That's one solution. I will probably run with an upper layer, it's not really a sweatshirt, or at least it's one of these thin layers from Salomon, so a little bit better at evacuating heat. I can also replace the base layer (long sleeve compression) with a regular running t-shirt underneath, this should help the air move a little bit more. What do you think?
I'd say you've got options! Try experimenting if you have time. One unknown is the actual temperature on race day, so I'd just make sure you check the weather before the race and pivot your strategy if needed.

I do think there's merit to your point that you'll likely be running quicker in the race itself and therefore less likely to be chilled.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. You'll be good 👍

Cyberpunkd

I'd say you've got options! Try experimenting if you have time. One unknown is the actual temperature on race day, so I'd just make sure you check the weather before the race and pivot your strategy if needed.

I do think there's merit to your point that you'll likely be running quicker in the race itself and therefore less likely to be chilled.

I wouldn't sweat it too much. You'll be good 👍
Since you have experience - leaving on a ski trip tomorrow. Do you know how much impact it will have skipping 3 easy runs and 1 tempo run? Race estimates right now are dead exact on the target (01:44:00) but obviously if I don't run for a week they will go up.

Since you have experience - leaving on a ski trip tomorrow. Do you know how much impact it will have skipping 3 easy runs and 1 tempo run? Race estimates right now are dead exact on the target (01:44:00) but obviously if I don't run for a week they will go up.
My college swim coach said you start to lose conditioning after about 3 days of inactivity, but it's not drastic. I imagine skiing is it's own form of conditioning, though, so if you're still being active, you should be fine

Cyberpunkd

Semi done, aimed for sub-1:45, got 01:44:43, overall happy. Weather was shit, almost no spectators till the last kilometer. Organisation was top.

Last edited:
Semi done, aimed for sub-1:45, got 01:44:43, overall happy. Weather was shit, almost no spectators till the last kilometer. Organisation was top.
Awesome, man! I know you were concerned about the weather and your clothing options. How'd that turn out? I know you got your goal time, but was the weather/clothing an issue? Are you going to run any more races?

I was out on the concrete trail today, feeling great on a 4.5 mile run that turned into a 10-miler since I had energy from being lazy all week. Was thinking about people I know who run and, weirdly enough, you popped into my head. I came back here to see how you did and to humble-brag about doing 10 miles haha. I'm now feeling much better about my half-marathon coming up in May.

Cyberpunkd

Awesome, man! I know you were concerned about the weather and your clothing options. How'd that turn out? I know you got your goal time, but was the weather/clothing an issue? Are you going to run any more races?

I was out on the concrete trail today, feeling great on a 4.5 mile run that turned into a 10-miler since I had energy from being lazy all week. Was thinking about people I know who run and, weirdly enough, you popped into my head. I came back here to see how you did and to humble-brag about doing 10 miles haha. I'm now feeling much better about my half-marathon coming up in May.
Thank you for the kind words. The clothes were bad and I got saved by the distance.

Long story short - I am running in UA Heatgear which absorbs sweat. As opposed to their Coldgear line this one relies on you being in a rather warm temperature.
I was running in 3 degrees Celsius, sweat started to dry at wound 30 minutes before finish. Let’s just say it was not a pleasant experience. First thing I did was go to store, tell my story, get smiles, afterwards I bought the relevant top. Tested it already - incredible.

I have a full marathon coming up in 2 weeks, and 10K in June. Went out today for the long run to test fueling, ran for 2 hours 20 minutes - marathon estimated time dropped by 2 minutes ha ha ha.

Which HM are you doing?

Last edited:
Oh, dang you're doing a full marathon? Nice! Have you done one before? 2 minutes is nothing in a marathon lol. Mine have swung by 30 minutes with the same amount of training and pacing--just depends on how my body's doing day of the race.

I'd prefer not to dox myself lol, but my HM is in the States. This'll be the first Half I've done that wasn't part of a Triathlon in...10 years? I've done one full marathon per year for the past 5 years, but looking to mix in more races like HMs moving forward. If I recall from other threads, are you in Europe? France?

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

. If I recall from other threads, are you in Europe? France?
Yes, it will be the Paris marathon. Half the course is almost the same as the half marathon, just in the opposite direction - can’t say I’m a big fan, the route is not really interesting.
There is also a marathon called Marathon Pour Tous organised for the Olympics with exactly the same route and during the games as well. You cannot buy a bib, you have to win it. If I do I’m considering trying for sub-3 hours in this one.

I’m sure you will do great in your HM!

Last edited:

Cyberpunkd

Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy Marathon done, was targeting sub-3:45 but my PacePro froze after the first km. In the end I got 03:46:01, really scary how good Garmin is at predicting these things (when it doesn’t freeze).

Will write a race report on Reddit and post here later.

Grildon Tundy Grildon Tundy Marathon done, was targeting sub-3:45 but my PacePro froze after the first km. In the end I got 03:46:01, really scary how good Garmin is at predicting these things (when it doesn’t freeze).

Will write a race report on Reddit and post here later.
Wow, that's great! Sucks that your PacePro froze and wild how close it had predicted your time to be. Hopefully the weather and outfit were kinder this time around

Cyberpunkd

Just read that the leaders went 4m37s for the first mile--world record marathon pace. I wonder what the strategy is there and if that was intentional
I cannot believe if I every qualify for Boston I will be running in this POS weather lol. Reminds me of Paris HM.

Top Bottom