• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Running | OT | Run, Forest, run!

Cyberpunkd

It's amazing. I can't fathom the mechanics of those paces.

I'm on week 11 of my marathon plan, targeting around 3:30.
The coming week will be the highest volume, with 95k. A brutal 35k with 25k @ marathon pace (4:50-5:05/km), no idea yet how I'll manage that, let alone that pace for the entire marathon. Past workouts have all been executed within target paces....yet it still feels out of reach to maintain that pace for 42km. I have done a 30k long run with 20k @ marathon pace...but that was very hard, my heartrate was too high at the end to give me any feeling that I got this for 42km.

ay74AJu.png
I had the same feeling for my half marathon, I did 10km @ 4:30/km a week ago, at the end I was like: “you are kidding me if you think I can keep this up for the next 11km”.

Race day comes, gels + water + excitement and I managed :)

I'd like to start running, but I always feel so ashamed as I have to stop after a minute to catch my breath and it looks so ridiculous as I walk, jog, walk, jog and then I see a grandpa running effortlessly past me. Maybe I can train and finally be able run for 5-10 minutes straight, but I don't know if can bear the shame until then.
Man, I hope you get out there.

Something that changed how I trained was the 3/4 rule: 3/4 of your workout should be at a level that you could hold a conversation, 1/4 you push it. If that means you have to walk for 3/4 of it, so be it. Your body WILL adapt and strengthen to where that's no longer the case, so long as you put the time in.

Here's the equation on people who see you struggle (if it even registers to them):

They laugh = they are pieces of shit. Self-improvement should always be encouraged
"If that guy is doing it, what's my excuse?" = you've inspired them
"I want to cheer that guy on, but it'd be weird because I don't know them and/or they might think I'm being sarcastic" = something I've actually thought before

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
"I want to cheer that guy on, but it'd be weird because I don't know them and/or they might think I'm being sarcastic" = something I've actually thought before
I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Some lady I had never met before, who was walking her dog at the park as I was running past: "Way to go - I'm so proud of you!"

Made me double take, but also made me smile. All I could muster while running flat out was "Thanks!!!" as I passed.

Cyberpunkd

They laugh = they are pieces of shit. Self-improvement should always be encouraged
"If that guy is doing it, what's my excuse?" = you've inspired them

I had this happen to me a couple of weeks ago. Some lady I had never met before, who was walking her dog at the park as I was running past: "Way to go - I'm so proud of you!"

Made me double take, but also made me smile. All I could muster while running flat out was "Thanks!!!" as I passed.
As the saying goes: “No matter how slow you run you are still lapping everyone on the couch”.
I run in the local park, I see multiple old people 60+ just walking, I always encourage them. Now we are all regulars so they always say hi.

BTW, 3:36 Paris Marathon today. The tunnels and going uphill destroyed me. I looked at the chart, last hour was non stop up.

Amsterdam is next.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
BTW, 3:36 Paris Marathon today.
Dude, that's amazing. I've got a half-marathon in a couple of weeks (first one since the pandemic), and I'm hoping to get a sub three hour time. My previous PR for that distance is 3:20.

With any luck, I'll be able to finish the marathon I'm signed up for in August in under 6 hours.

Cyberpunkd

Dude, that's amazing. I've got a half-marathon in a couple of weeks (first one since the pandemic), and I'm hoping to get a sub three hour time. My previous PR for that distance is 3:20.

With any luck, I'll be able to finish the marathon I'm signed up for in August in under 6 hours.
I did a half marathon 5 weeks ago with 1:35, so I was thinking this will translate to 15 minutes gain in marathon.

Season 9 Smh GIF by The Office

I had way too little long runs, the body could push 21km just fine, at 31-32km I hit the classic Wall. Plus the course it…not so great, to say the least.

I’m sure you will crush your races.

Last edited:
I've got a half-marathon race coming up in May. Ran 11 miles yesterday at an 8:20 pace. I'd like to hold under 8:00 for the race which I think is doable but no biggie if not. I run mainly because if I don't, I feel like my brain don't work so good.

Xcell Miguel

Gold Member
I will have my first half-marathon on the 19th in May, currently using Garmin Coach to train, I already did a few long runs up to two hours at a slower pace (6:30) compared to my objective (5:35, I want to make it under two hours).
It made me run a few times at my goal pace (and even faster), but never as long as I will have to for the semi so I don't know how I will feel then.
But before starting this training plan I did a 21 km by myself in cold weather in December, did 2h08 while keeping a 6:02 pace and felt like I could continue, but 5:35 in 1h58 will be a bit harder.

Today it's been one year since I started running, never stopped since then, with 15 to 20 km per week at first and now 30 to 40, even with cold weather, snow, rain, heat, ... I really love it and really like the long runs alone.

Since I started I did a 10k, goal was under 1 hour, did 59:48 (5:51 pace, only one month after starting running). I did a 7k in October, goal was under 40, I did 39:32 (5:30 pace), so I guess for my sub 2h semi I'll do 1h59 :D

Last edited:
10mm in a centimetre
100cm in a meter
1000m in a kilometer

GIF by Late Night with Seth Meyers

Although lately I find myself looking at marathon as 26.2 miles instead of 42.2km. Pace in miles is stop stupid though.
I was just being facetious. Imperial is not as elegant, and isn't intuitive, but it throws me off when paces are in KM/H.

Last edited:
Top Bottom