• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

S-Video Cable Query (Laptop to TV connection)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Memles

Heading off to University, and will want to use my laptop's DVD player on my TV and am a little bit out of it when it comes ot S-Video. I get the general process, and I know what to connect, but what to buy is the question.

Is there a big difference in quality between some S-Video Cables and Others? Or, in general, do the S-Video Cables pretty well all give the same quality?

Also, I believe that buying a straight S-Video cable won't work for gaming consoles, right?

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Memles said:
Heading off to University, and will want to use my laptop's DVD player on my TV and am a little bit out of it when it comes ot S-Video. I get the general process, and I know what to connect, but what to buy is the question.

Is there a big difference in quality between some S-Video Cables and Others? Or, in general, do the S-Video Cables pretty well all give the same quality?

Also, I believe that buying a straight S-Video cable won't work for gaming consoles, right?

Any S-Video cable that you use should be fine. A standard cable won't fit any consoles other than the Xbox, but for that you'd need the advanced AV pack, which comes with a standard cable anyway. :)

Memles

Lyte Edge said:
Any S-Video cable that you use should be fine. A standard cable won't fit any consoles other than the Xbox, but for that you'd need the advanced AV pack, which comes with a standard cable anyway. :)

Thanks...it's a GameCube anyways, so I'll probably just forget about it. It looks fine on my TV, anyways.

Gek54

I have a compaq laptop but with an S-video connection and while the desktop shows up fine on the TV I cant get any DVD to play on it, all that appears is a blue window on the TV. What is going on?

Memles

Gek54 said:
I have a compaq laptop but with an S-video connection and while the desktop shows up fine on the TV I cant get any DVD to play on it, all that appears is a blue window on the TV. What is going on?

Have you tried first connecting it while still on the desktop and then starting the movie? I know that my brother's been using a ghetto thing to put his on his TV, since his TV has no S-Video port, and he can't start the movie and then connect.

Just speculation on my part, though, don't take my advice as gospel...I'm the one who started the thread with questions, after all.

Scoobert

Gek54 said:

You have an ATI card?

Scoobert

Good, cause then it's easier for me to help :)

Go to Display Properties -> Settings -> Advanced -> Displays ->

Now you should see 4 boxes. One will be your monitor, the other says TV. For the box titled TV...You will see two small buttons in that box. One button has what looks like a bulleye and the other has "windows". Make sure the "bullseye" is pressed down.

That should work now. That button will allow you to see video on your tv.

boo7z

Memles said:

If you have a run of less than 10 feet you will notice no difference in a $5 versus $50 S-video cable. Once you get to into the 15 - 30 foot range spending money on gold plated / better insulated s-video cable will ensure no degradation (mainly ghosting).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom